Glares on HDTV'S?

Username: Sammy

Post Number: 1
I am looking to purchase a widescreen HDTV(rear projection, budget allows). I was looking at the Mitsubishi WS-48315 or the 48515. I am concerned about glare problems. The room it is going into gets a decent amount of natural light( decent size windows). Any thoughts out there? Also, if anybody has any advice on purchasing a tv that would reduce the glare. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Post Number: 2
PS: You can e-mail me @ sandman5512@yahoo.com. THANKS AGAIN!

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 52
Generally speaking, if you're worried about glare in a brightly lit environment, you are going to want to go with a plasma display of some type. That's their one redeeming feature, IMHO. That's why you see then in so many bank lobbies, department stores, and so forth.

In a home environment, Sony Grand Wega's work well. That's one of the reasons I went that direction. The picture is extremely sharp and well defined with absolutely no nagging glare. Sony incorporates a matted finish on the 'screen cover' that distorts glare and visibly reduces the amount that reaches your eyes, allowing for a much more enjoyable experience compared to other projection sets.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
I was just checking out the set[s] you mentioned above. Mitsy uses an anti-glare system called "DiamondShield", so you might be okay.

Here's a link: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/antiglareshield.html

Post Number: 3
I called Mitsubishi today, they only make the anti-glare shield for the 815 series, unfortunatley.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
You know, I was just looking at the spec sheets, and I don't see 720 res on either one. I think this is a severe limitation! I don't watch all that much TV, but 720p is a highly desirable feature, IMHO. Occasionally, it comes in very handy!

I really don't think you are ultimately going to be happy with either one of these sets. Depends on how much of a 'tweak' you are... :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
The 525 series has 720p, but you're talking quite a bit more money...

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Mitsubishi_WD_52525
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us