Know Nothing About TV's and Just Won 42"sony Grand Wega

Username: Lynchy

Post Number: 1
I'm the guy who always hooks up the stereo wrong. I just won a Sony 42" GW HDTV in a sales contest. Comcast is coming out Friday to switch my box to HD.

i have a couple quick questions: Do i really need a $140 surge protector like the ones they sell at best buy and Circuit city?

Do i really need the monster cables to hook up my dvd to get the best picture?

Any other simple tips i should know to get the best out of this tv?

thanks for your info!

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 65
You don't necessarily need monster cables but for the best analog picture quality, COMPONENT cables are the best. From worst to best in terms of picture quality:

Composite -typical rca plugs: Red & White for audio and yellow for video. (Like what you get with a VCR.)

S-Video would be a step up from that
then
COMPONENT Cables...this provides better quality (red, green, blue cables)

You can find non-monster component cables and not have to pay the premium price just because of the Monster brand. They do just as well and have extra cash for a dvd or something. It's your wallet and although many insist on monster cables. It's really a personal preference.

As for the surge protector, that's again another personal call.

I suggest going to avsforum.com. It's similar to this site but there is much more traffic.

Username: Rixter

Post Number: 1
What about a DVI cable? I heard they were better than composite. What is one of the better non-Monster DVI cables?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us