I GIVE UP!

Username: Mike535

Post Number: 2
I have been researching new HDTV's for 6 months now. EVERY store I have been to, the non HD picture (a nonHD DIRECTV signal)looks WORSE than my 16 year old 45" Mitsubishi TV. HD on the new sets is incredible, but non-HD doesn't look that good at all! I get a different story from every salesrep I talk to! HELP! I would appreciate any and all feedback. I'm ready to stick with my 16 year old Mitsubishi. I've looked at the Samsungs with the HD3 and the new HD2 chips - they look the same. I can't imagine the HD2+ chips would solve these problems.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
"I can't imagine the HD2+ chips would solve these problems."

What problems? All you said is they look "worse". Man I look worse in the morning than I do after I shave. See what I mean? Worse tells us nothing, specific complaints on specific sources will.

Example: The SD signal appears washed out when coming from a Motorola 6200 STB on My Sony CRT RPTV connected through a DVI cable but looks good through the component input #5. Do you see how that question can be answered but how yours "it looks worse" cannot?

Anonymous

Well, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.
To answer Mike's question, you have to realize that HDTVs are made to display HD signal. They display SD signal only because the FCC required them to. Look at it this way, at least an HDTV can display SD signal while SDTV cannot display HD signal.
Because of the different types of signal (analog vs. digital), they require different methods to display. You have to accept the fact that you cannot have it both ways.
Analog picture will look worse on a fixed-pixel tv such as DLP, LCD or plasma than say on a CRT or CRT projection TV.

Username: Mike535

Post Number: 4
Thanks for clearing that up - Analog pictures DO look worse on DLP - HD looks incredible - I have noticed another problem with HD - at 3 separate stores and 2 of my neighbors that have Samsung DLP's - HD on Directv (Discovery channel) looks great - HD on a local channel (i.e. Olympics on NBC) has a lot of blurred images when things in the picture move fast - 3 reps at the TV stores told me there is still problems with HD reception - I've decided to stay with my 16 year old 45" Mitsubishi - great picture - not blurred or fuzzy like all the new HD sets I have seen - I'll wait a few years for HD reception to improve!

Anonymous

That was what my logical side was telling me about 9 months ago. HDTV will not give me any more programs, just a better picture. You can receive anything that is currently broadcasted in HD using your good old analog TV. The FCC made sure of that. Every cable box or SAT box has composite or S-video output. But once you have seen a HD picture, you don't want to go back to watching your old analog tv. Plus the fact that the salesman gave me a good deal with 0% financing for 2 years, I took the plunge and moved my 10-year old 50" Hitachi to the basement.
The blurring problem you mentioned is being discussed on the other thread.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us