Samsung HLP4674W

Username: Terrygore

Plano, TX

Post Number: 1
I am hearing conflicting reports on the availability of the Samsung HLP4674W DLP TV. I've read on this board that rumors have it being available in Nov or even Jan. I've been told by an Internet Seller that the TV has come in and they are processing it in their warehouse and I will have it in 8 days. Is this a lie? I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a sales job, so I am trying to figure out when this TV will be available. Any others rumors or valid news?

Plano, TX

Post Number: 2
Sorry - this should be in the DLP Forum... however, if anyone has an answer, would appreciate it.

Username: Pharmd

NYC

Delays due to incorporation of cablecard and a digital TV tuner. Last minute decision will cause a stop in hlp4674w production and the new model is HLP4677W. Should be out sept or october with a MSRP of $3800.

as soon as this set comes out...im getting it.

hope this helped.

feenix
Unregistered guest
I've waited long enough. I'm picking up the HLP5063W. This is the second delay for this model (HLP4674W) and by the time it's released the new 1080p models will be shipping. I don't need the integrated tuner (I'm a VOOM subscriber) and I don't need a cablecard.

Let us know how the HLP4674W (or HLP4677W) is when it's released. I'm sure we are all curious as to how it compares with the existing models.

I'd love the HLP4674W, but I just can't wait any longer...

Unregistered guest
I have a samsung plasma spn4235 flat& purchase the Bose 321 surround sound system but can't get sound from cable TV. I have the s video cable connected but can't get a sound.

Username: Vinay7777

Schaumburg, Il Usa

just thought i would let you know that the hlp4674w will be available at tweeter at the end of this week. i work at tweeter in schuamburg and have already got 2 of them ready to deliver this saturday. i work in ill. if anyone has any questions or lives in the are and wants a DLP or PLASMA come see me for an awsome deal.
vinay7777@hotmail.com
847 605-0033

Username: Lbottles

Re: Samsung HLP4674W, see this url: http://www.tvauthority.com/samsung_hlp_4674W.asp
New from CES is Samsung's next-generation of Slim Bezel DLP TV, the 46" (HLP4674W) is an ultra slim bezel DLP TV that reduces width and focuses all attention on the picture. Sharing comparable feature set as the Floor Standing series, this DLP TV will be available in August 2004.

Product Specifications (preliminary):

DLPTV HLP4674W
46" Wide Screen HDTV Monitor
Television with DLP Technology
TV/VIDEO
• DLP (Digital Light Processing) TV
- Ultra Slim Bezel Reduces Width
- Net Dimensions: 40.6"(W) x 30.0"(H) x 16.1"(D)
- Net Weight: 73.9 lbs.
• Samsung Cinema SmoothTM Gen 4 Light Engine
- Single Digital Micro-Mirror Device (DMD) Design
with No Possible Convergence Errors
- .8" HD2 PLUS DLP Technology by Texas Instruments
- Film-like Pixeless Images
- 3000:1 Contrast Ratio
• Advanced DNIe Picture Enhancements
• HDTV Performance with Optional HDTV Tuner
• All Format Conversion to 720P
• Faroudja Film Mode 3:2 Pull Down Enhancement
• 3D Y/C Digital Comb Filter
• 2-Tuner PIP with Side-by-Side Split Screen
• 8000 Hour 100-Watt User Replaceable Lamp
• HD Fine Pitch Screen (0.155 mm)
• No Screen Aging or Burn-In Effects
• Discrete IR Code Control
AUDIO
• 30-Watt Stereo Audio System
• Virtual Dolby Sound
• BBE Sound Enhancer
DIGITAL CONNECTIONS
• 1-Rear DVI - HDTV Digital Visual Interface
• 1-Rear HDMI - High Definition
Multimedia Interface
• 2-Rear HD Component
Video Inputs
Supposedly: "Available in August 2004" reportedly, but it is still can only be "pre-ordered" at other URLs.

Username: Lbottles

Post Number: 3
Samsung HLP4674W DLP Television 46 inch Product Code: HLP4674W $3,595.00 Avail approx end Oct '04 See this url: http://store.yahoo.com/1888camcorder/hlp4674w.html

Schaumburg, Il Usa

yo guys, i just hooked terry up here for a DLP, if you want one call me my number was posted. the dlp is predicted to be available on oct 25. supposed to get 35 and then on nov 5 supposed to get 125. if interested in this tv or just want info call me. i guarantee if you call me you will not pay $3600 either!

Vinay
847 605-0033
PS You need to ask for me otherwise no one else can honor any of my priceing for you!!!

DLP_fun
Unregistered guest
Here is the detail SPEC for HL-P4674W.
Does anybody know if it is in the market now???

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200409/20040920081244796_BP68-00423 A-00Eng_0908.pdf

Plano, TX

Post Number: 8
It is FINALLY in... Tweeter has it in Houston. They got it in their warehouse today. They are shipping mine to Dallas and I will have it on Wednesday. Read vinay_rajput's response above. He gave me a great deal - much better then any other vendor.

DLP_fun
Unregistered guest
Anybody compare it side by side with HL-P4663w?
hi Terry, can you write some review after you
get it.

thanks

Anonymous

I've been waiting (like everyone else) for the 74 series to finally arrive. I live in Canada. Does anyone know when they will arrive in Canada? Samsung's Canada website doesn't list these models yet, but do have the users manual for them posted.

Schaumburg, Il Usa

Post Number: 3
i have the TV's in this hlp4674 is available. i have 20 left in my chicago warehouse. anyone who wants one please call me tomorrow. i will be at tweeter in schaumburg. you can reach me either on my cell which is 847 340-3117. i will get you a good deal and have satisfied 4 members from this forum already. call if you need!!

Username: Odysseus

North Topsail Beach, NC USA

vinay, do you think the 4674 is worth the price jump over the 4663?

Did they improve the remote?

Schaumburg, Il Usa

Post Number: 4
yes definately worth the difference in price has the cable card slot, slimmer cabinet, and higher contrast ratio. they really aren't that much more money either.

Ted T
Unregistered guest
vinay, i went to the samsung website and it shows that the 4674 has a 6 segment color wheel and that the 4663 has a 7 segment color wheel. isn't the 7 segment wheel supposed to be better?

Sumenour
Unregistered guest
ted t, same question. need to know difference between 6 and 7 segment wheels. I also noticed that the 5085 (pedestal model) has 2500:1 contrast ratio compared with 2000:1 for 4674. Why have table version of 5085 with different ratio?

Schaumburg, Il Usa

Post Number: 5
If i am right to say the hlp5085 has 3000:1 contrast ratio where as the hlp4674w has 2500:1 contrast. not sure why the table top version is higher. also the difference between the color wheels is that the color wheel now has a darker green color which promotes better grey tones and darker blacks.
just to let all know, i am no longer with tweeter however, i can still help you with what ever questions you may have and i can recommend to you who to call if you want the product.

jagathon
Unregistered guest
HL-P4674W - if anyone in Houston area knows who has this unit on the floor - called all the tweeters and they have them in the box but not on the floor.
also wondering if it is the same specs as the captain kirk model on the pedestal. the pedestal monitor looks superior to anything i have seen.

Username: Badass71

Vacaville, Ca Us

also the 4674w doesnt have the BBE surround sound anymore. it has the same SRS XT as the 4663w

Sumenour
Unregistered guest
According to Samsung specs. the 5085 has 2500:1 contrast ratio. Those of you, who like myself, have been waiting for the 4674 or 5674 will be interested to know that closely following on the its heels will be the 64 series. Lower number does not mean retrograde, just Samsungs curious system of allocating model #'s. This series, which might even arrive before Christmas, will basically be similar to the 74 series, except for 7 segment color wheel, hd receiver built in, cable card slot. So here we go again.

curious_george
Unregistered guest
vinay, how much for HL-P4674W

Anonymous

Regarding the 64 series, where did you find spec and release info? I googled and found nothing. I'm very disappointed with the downgrade in specs on the 74 series and the ongoing delays. I'm probably going to bail on the Samsung. Even if they do release a 64 series by x-mas, the xhd3 with increased resolution will be right around the corner.

Sumenour
Unregistered guest
regarding the 64 series. Obtained information from Samsung Tech.

DLP-fun
Unregistered guest
That would be 67w instead of 64 serial.
like HL-P5674w ... etc.

7 segment color wheel;
built in ATSC tuner;
cable card solt;

Just can not wait forever, there is always
something new come out everyday.
I ordered the HLP-4674W yesterday,
which should be good enough for me now.
Better enjoy life first :-)

Unregistered guest
Vinay, do you have a price on the 4674w ? How do I call you? Where do you work now?

Harry G
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if Samsung will be coming out with a HL-P5074 model or an equivalent anytime soon?

Schaumburg, Il Usa

Post Number: 6
just contact me on my cell phone and i will return your call as soon as posible. you can reach me at the number i posted above.
847 340-3117
vinay

Username: Marphyn

Space limitations pointing me to 4674. Any word on availability in Baltimore?

Phoenix, Az Usa

Post Number: 7
wanted to tell everyone that i am sorry for not responding back to you right away i just moved from IL to AZ. if you email me i check that everyday but my phone is not working. i can still get the tv's for you i have multiple contacts at tweeter, showcase. just contact me through email at vinay7777@hotmail.com

jagathon
Unregistered guest
spoke with samsung rep and they will be releasing a 5000:1 contrast ratio model within the next year - assume this is the HD3 generation DLP
may hang for this model in desktop version.

Plano, TX

Post Number: 9
Your crazy if your going to wait... I may have purchased the HLP4674W, but I will never buy another Samsung because of all the delays in getting this one. They delayed it 8 months and each month they said it would be out shortly - hence keeping me in suspense and waiting. Be careful on waiting.

Username: Heatcoil1

Fort Pierce, FL USA

I just visited today a Sounds Alive show room and they had the Sammy 4674w set on display/. It was going for around $3,500 and the 5674 was in stock and they stated it was going for $4,199. The picture on the 4674 looked pretty good compaired surrounding sets but I'm not an expert. I'm waiting for one of you folks with more experience to give a professional opinion on the set. Please let me know because I'm looking to purchase something for XMAS.

Anonymous

BUYER BEAWARE!!!!! PLEASE CALL TWEETER IN YOUR
AREA IF YOU ARE INTRESTED IN ANY DLP,LCD,LCOS,
PLASMA TVS. IT IS ONLY FAIR TO YOURSELVES TO DO SO WITHOUT ANY STRINGS ATTATCHED. YOU WILL HAVE A FULL MANUFACTURES WARR. THAT TWEETER & THE MANUFACTURE WILL BACK UP FULLY. STAY AWAY FROM GREY AREA LISTINGS. TWEETER HAS A WEB SITE.
WWW.TWEETER.COM THANK YOU.

DLP fan
Unregistered guest
The store 1888camcorder.com (see link below) is allowing pre-orders for the next generation 1080p dlps from Samsung and saying they will be available in late January 05. They only show a 56" and 61" version though (HLP5697W, HLP6197W).

http://store.yahoo.com/1888camcorder/dlp---other-televisions-dlp-tvs-samsung-dlp s.html

Seth R
Unregistered guest
For all of those who have been waiting for the xx74 series, it is worth it. I just received the 5674W and the picture is top notch. I know that many are concerned about the color wheel, but irrespective of the six or seven segment, the xx74 series has an incredibly sharp picture and the advantage of the practically non-existent bezel is significant. The 5674 is 56" of pure screen. I returned a Mits 52725 because I found the front mounted fan noise to be atrocious (louder than center channel dialogue)and am happy to have a Sammy Tantus model back. Samsung's quality assurance is awful, but assuming you get a perfect television, the Sammy Tantus series beats out the competition hands down.

Anonymous

Glad to learn that some folks are actually taking delivery of the Samsung HLP 4674W. Have been getting the run-around. Samsung-on-line does not sell the item. Seems that Samsung marketing made some deal so that Big Box stores can't sell it; limited distribution to "High End" retail only. Sears does not sell it. If the rumor that they are going to release a new HDTV with 5000:1 contrast in 2005, why would anybody purchase anything now?

dlp fan
Unregistered guest
I just saw both the 4674 and 5674 at Good Guys. I was hoping for some major picture quality improvement from the earlier series but was highly disappointed. They were playing a Star Wars dvd and there was major pixelation. I just watched the same scene on my regular crt 32" tv at home and the picture was much clearer. I literally couldn't see much improvement from even the first series dlps. Until they fix the horrible pixelation problem and improve the clarity, I am not wasting my money on one of these. Hopefully the 1080p versions will be better.

Anonymous

I visited a Sears today and saw the 4663. Despite it's age, the old DLP chip and the fact the signal was split amongst a couple dozen TVs, the picture was actually top notch-- very smooth, clear, consistent.

They didn't have the new 4674w, so I went across the street to The Good Guys. Boy, was I disappointed. That picture was the grainiest, most pixellated excuse for a television signal I could imagine. I don't know if it was a problem with that unit, but quite a few other TVs looked the same. I couldn't make heads or tales out of it-- they were playing the promotional high-def segments (Discovery HD, CNET HD, etc) and they were just AWFUL! There was no static or interference, it just looked like the edges of objects were pixellated as all get-out. I reset the video settings to the defaults, played with the sharpness, all to no avail. My wife walked in and without me even saying anything, said "What's wrong with the picture?" Seriously, it looked like an imagine off an Apple IIgs.

So, does anyone know what the deal is? The only thing I can think of is that maybe The Good Guys does some video processing on the signal before splitting it or something, and that majorly messes it up. I've never seen anything like it. I asked a salesman and he said "I don't see anything wrong with it... that's the way all the TVs always look." They use component hookups with high-quality cables. I offered to walk him over to Sears, the "low-end" store with much better pictures on all their HD TVs.

I then went across the street to Circuit City, which had the 4663 (but said they had no plans to get the 4674w... don't ask me how that works when production of the 4663 is supposedly being wound down). The picture was pretty good there, too-- much better than The Good Guys.

Anyone know what the scoop is with The Good Guys?

Anonymous

Make sure you go somewhere where you trust the salesperson. Most Best Buy/Good Guys/Circuit City don't try to calibrate their sources. They split the connection 2-3 times or use long/old/bad cables. If you're going to spend this much $, I'd recommend going to a high-end reseller(Tweeter, Ultimate, Wilshire) where you trust they can setup the video source properly.

Unregistered guest
Just purchased and set up the 4674 DLP Samsung. I had a very dificult time finding a reputable place to buy it from and finally found a Tweeters near Trenton that had it. I live in NYC.
So far it's excellent with DVD and my son's x- box. We're expecting the HD set up tomorrow.
The only concern I have is that the screen in the middle top has a slight give when you press it. I called Samsung and they said it was normal. I was in a Best Buy today and tried others ..some had the give and some didn't . Anyone have an opinion about this? Thanks.

Unregistered guest
Just looked at a 4674 yesterday at Tweeters(Illinois). They had it set up next to the old model, a Sony plasma, and a Mits. The 4674 Samsung beat them all hands down. I did not see any of the pixel problems I've read about, through my half hour of watching. I'm seriously considering purchase of this TV. Has any one had enough time with this set to change my mind?

DLP123
Unregistered guest
I've had the 4674 for a little over a week and it's been great. So far HDTV, DVD and X Box all play beautifully. My sister also has a Samsung 61 " DLP for about 2 months and its also great.
I had some concern about movement at the top of the screen but apparently it's not a defect.
At this point I would recommend it.
Good luck.

siddy
Unregistered guest
I compared the 4674 against the 63 series in a local Tweeter and the picture difference was much better on the 4674. In fact I thought it was better than all the other RP units they had hands down (Sony, Mits, Panasonic, etc...). I liked it so much so that I returned my 5063 (still was within 30 days) to Circuit City and purchased the 5674 from Tweeter. $1200 more, but definately worth it.

Carl Coe
Unregistered guest
Based on width limitations I am facing this set appears to be perfect for me. However, I do not need to make an immediate purchase and do not want to overpay. If I were to wait 2-3 months would you expect the price come down much? Also, any product reviews are greatly appreciated. There is not much info out this TV as yet.

Anonymous

What are the true dimensions for the 4674? In the manual it lists (wxhxd)43.07x32x13.35 yet on all other items it's listed as 40.6x30x16.1, which is it?

DLP123
Unregistered guest
I believe the true demensions are the larger ones. I'll take a look, with tape measure when I get home and confirm.

DLP123
Unregistered guest
The demensions are 41x30x16

DMill
Unregistered guest
The correct dimensions are 40.6 x 30 x 16.1 ... and that's why I'm leaning towards this model. It will be the perfect fit in our new entertainment center. It's hard to believe that Samsung can get a 46" screen while only being 40.6" wide! Ya gotta love it.

Anonymous

I'll likely be purchasing a Samsung 4674 from a Tweeter here in Boston. To those who own this set (and other DLP's)...what is your experience with non-HD native programming?
ie SciFi, History Channel, E!, etc.

I'l certainly be enjoying my fair share of DVD's and ESPN HD but I'd like to hear how up converted NTSC programming looks.

Thanks!

Username: Jatemode

Had a guy at Circuit City in Orlando tell me that the HLP4674W was not yet available in the states and maybe the websites I saw it on were Canadian. Drove 1.6 miles to Sound Advice (owned by Tweeter) and there it was for 3400.00
What has everyone been paying for this TV ?
Does anyone know if any of the upcoming 1080p's will be 46 or 48 inch?
Thanks.

Anonymous Oregon
Unregistered guest
The 4674 is available at Magnolia Audio/Video in Portland Oregon for $3100. Saw it today, might buy it.

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
You can get the 4674 for $2945 including shipping from tvauthority.com right now. If you are a member of an audio visual forum, they may give you an additional $100 off.

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
Also, Vanns.com has the 4674 for a few bucks more. Maybe you could play them off each other.

Frank T.
Unregistered guest
I just saw that Samsung has the Hlp4667w which is the same as hlp4663w but with a cable card slot and hdtv built in tuner. This is the third generation chip from Samsung. Also they have the hlp4674w which is the 4th generation chip but no cable card or built in hdtv tuner. So, which is better? When will the 4th generation be available with a cable card and built in hdtv tuner? I like the cable card idea but i heardthe 4th generation dlp has a better picture. Any help would be appreciated.

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
From what I've heard and read, you can't use the cable card very easily because the television has no built-in menu function like the set top boxes. The best you could do would be to write the channels out on a sheet of paper so you'd know the channel numbers, but you wouldn't know what programs were on.

I have no HD broadcasts available in my area. This may change, but not in the foreseeable future.

For now, it's best just to pay the monthly rental on the satellite TV box. By the way, check out VOOM. No one has as many HD channels as they do. As far as I know, none of their competitors have DVI connectors like they do on their set top boxes either. This is essential for using the full resolution of the television.

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
From what I've heard and read, you can't use the cable card very easily because the television has no built-in menu function like the set top boxes. The best you could do would be to write the channels out on a sheet of paper so you'd know the channel numbers, but you wouldn't know what programs were on.

I have no HD broadcasts available in my area. This may change, but not in the foreseeable future.

For now, it's best just to pay the monthly rental on the satellite TV box. By the way, check out VOOM. No one has as many HD channels as they do. As far as I know, none of their competitors have DVI connectors like they do on their set top boxes either. This is essential for displaying the full resolution of this television.

Frank T.
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the information. My cable company says they support the cable card. It costs $1.75 extra per month. The hi def receiver is $7.95 per month. Since there are not many hd channels yet i figured why spend more until there are more hd channels. You're right about the cable guide. You lose it on the cable card. I wanted to know if you had any experience with either Samsung YV?
Thanks

btfam
Unregistered guest
Just wondering when or if the hlp4674w will be in Best Buy, Circuit City or Sears. I would like to see in person before I buy and these are the only stores available to me. I am not clear on viewing angles (above, below and side to side) could someone please help?
Thanks

Unregistered guest
I had a chance to see a 4674 side by side with a Mitsubishi 52725--as I was set on the 4674 until I saw the Mitsubishi--but here are a couple of basic observations for my two cents' worth: The picture on the 4674 was fabulous! Absolutely no glare, rich colors and excellent details from the store's satellite feed. The Mitsubishi was also excellent as to colors, details, and picturer quality/clarity, but the protective "anti-glare" screen on this model was not working and there were reflections that detrated from the viewing experience. The 4674 was priced at $3199 and the Mitusbishi was on sale for $3095. (The Mitsubishi also as a digital tuner and cable card built in, plus more inputs and outputs than the Samsung, plus it's 6" larger diagonally--but the unit is also 8" wider overall than the Samsung.) Now, after all of this, I went to another, better-known and more trust-worthy retailer in my area from whom I would actually buy, and they only had the 4663 on their showroom floor. When the salesperson checked inventory for inbound 4674s, up popped a notification from Samsung that the 4674 is discontinued--before it ever arrived!--and is being replaced by a 4677 that will be available in March, 2005. Salesman had no info at all about the 4677, and I have found nothing out about it yet, either. Bottom line, as a buyer I'm still waiting to buy, (although I may regret passing on the Mitsubishi 3-year, no interest offer). From the threads from contributors to this site, there still are too many glitches in this DLP technology in all the brands.

Frank T
Unregistered guest
I'm still waiting also on the hlp4677w from Samsung. I like the Toshiba also but I'm restricted on the size. Speakers on the side make it too wide for my cabinet. I like the Samsung 4674 but at a cost of $3,000.00 it's pricey considering that it's discontinued and it has no cable card or built in HD tuner.
By the way I don't think Best Buy or CC plans to carry this item. Check on Tweeter.com. They have it and they may have a retail store near you where you can see it.

btfam
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info Frank T. Checked Tweeters store locator and the nearest store is 400 miles away from me. Guess I will wait for the 77w to come out, maybe it will have the cable card slot. Hope I don't go blind watching my standby 19" in the meantime.

Frank T.
Unregistered guest
btfam.
The Samsung Hlp4667w is available now at TV authority and 888camcorder. It's the same unit as the Hlp4663w but has a cable card and built in hd tuner. Problem is that it's the HD3 chip. The better chip is the HD2+ which is on the 4674. No info yet on when the 4677 might be available. Could be this fall. Also they have a new chip coming in the spring. The xHD3 chip. Go to tv authority and 888camcorder and click the link for coming soon. Hope this helps.

tbishop
Unregistered guest
They are no longer planning to make the '77 series they have scrapped it and it will be presented in a new design series which will be the '70 series. The '67 series will be out in 4/05.

Here are some links that may clear some things up as it did for me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4403958#post4403958

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20050106_00 00090605

SteveA
Unregistered guest
I was able to find several on-line retailers that claim they have the 4667 in stock. Prices varied from the low $2k's to low $3k's. On store (http://store.yahoo.com/hypeaudio/televisions-dlp-televisions-40--to-49--samsung. html) lists both a HL-P4667W at $2150 and a model HL-R4667W at $2750. Does anyone know what the difference is?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us