How About Sony's New KD-34XBR960 Television

Username: Romatc

Post Number: 4
I'm interested to know if anyone has had any experience with this set. I've been waiting and waiting to buy a set with a built-in HDTV tuner in widescreen format. I also wanted the most bang for my buck and this set seems to fill the bill. I've researched all the ups and downs of picture quality of various technologies and found you still can't knot a good direct view CTR set.

Anonymous

Re: KD-34XBR960. Fantastic off air pictures from PBS and Olympic games in HD. Pro: Lots of bells and whistles. Rear panel looks like the cockpit of a 747. Remote easy to navagate. Con: Doesn't clean up 480i much. Claim 30 watts of audio but no ext. speaker jacks. Accepts Sony memory stick only, Kodak doesn't have adaptor (yet?)

Anonymous Gwen
Unregistered guest
Hands down the best direct view set ever made. The new Super Fine tube is so much sharper than any other 34" tube out there. You should go see the TV at a local retailer showing the olympics in 1080i. Very impressive. That being said, they are having quality control issues on these things. I went through three of them because they all had semi-faulty ATSC/QAM tuners. The TV would not receive any digital signal after being off for about 4 hours, upon power up. If you power it off and back on it would then receive signal. I had two TV's with the tuner problem.

jwilson
Unregistered guest
Since I'm new, you'll have to excuse this dumb question. I'm interested in getting this tv and would like to get hdtv over the air. Radio shack sells an hdtv antenna. Do I simply plug the antenna into the rf jack on back of the tv? Is it really this simple? Thank you. Julie

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 61
"I'm interested in getting this tv and would like to get hdtv over the air. Radio shack sells an hdtv antenna. Do I simply plug the antenna into the rf jack on back of the tv? Is it really this simple?"

Well, it's almost that simple. While I don't have this TV, I do have a Sony Grand Wega. And, I get "over the air" signals, via a Motorola HDT101 set top box.

HDTV is transmitted in the UHF region, so you will want an antenna that does a good, even great, job of picking up UHF.

Personally, in my location, I have been able to get by with a set of Jensen 'electric rabbit ears.' I receive HDTV signals from 3 different locations, and it picks them all up pretty well without a lot of tweaking.

LoL! I actually went on a quest for the best indoor HDTV antenna. I won't bore you with details of all the 'bad' ones I bought, but the hands-down winner was the Zenith 'Silver Streak'. Here's a URL:

Silver Zenith Sensor Digital HDTV UHF Indoor Antenna - ZHDTV1

Rest assured, you can buy this antenna with confidence. The FCC uses the 'Silver Streak' as their official reference antenna. If it doesn't work for you indoors, nothing will! The only reason I took it back was because it was so directional - a good and bad thing, you know?

Having said that, I'm still not totally satisifed with indoor antennas. I live in what I call a 'Taco Bell' house - Spanish Mediterranean, red tile roofed monster, with 'mud walls', surrounded by wire (needed to hold the Stucco on the side of the house).

I am going to install a 'bow tie' antenna inside the vaulted attic with a rotor when it cools down here. I will be using this combination...

Antenna: Channel Master 4228 UHF TV Antenna 60 Mile

Rotor: Channel Master 9521a TV Antenna Rotator With Remote

This only requires a 20-inch turning radius, so it should be fine in an attic. If that doesn't do it, I'll put it on the roof...:-)

So, there you go... That was pretty "simple", huh?

Username: Romatc

Post Number: 5
Julie, This set has 2 input RF jacks and 1 is for the antenna the other for cable TV. Just remember you can't live too far away from the HDTV broadcast location. From what I've read with over the air HDTV you either receive the signal or not with no middle ground. I found a Sony fan site that offers it's members (free membership) a 10% discount for group buys on this set and other Sony models. That 10% off price comes with free white glove delivery (in-house/out of the box/placed where you want it). Here's the link. http://www.agoraquest.com/index.php
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us