How 'bout them Olympics?

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 31
Sorry if this is OT, but it sure is a good time to own HDTV. I've been watching the Olympics on my Sony Grand Wega via Off-Air signal with a Motorola HDT101, and WoW!

Heh! And, I don't even like sports!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
BTW, NBC has a website dedicated to this, if you need schedules and whatnot...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html

Anonymous

NBC's website failed to mention that the HD feed is purposely delay by one day than the SD. Yes you get a nice picture but it is old useless news.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
LoL! Like I said, I don't like sports, so no difference to me. I'm simply marveling at how good the PQ is.

Hell, I even catch myself watching PBS HD these days, for the same reason. Julia Childs and Mr. Rodgers look pretty good for being dead!

Anonymous

Just wondering why making a big deal of the Olympics in NBC-HD since there were so many other HD programs to watch and the fact that you don't like sports. Technically, NBC's openning night was full of glitches. The PQ is no better that other channels. May be your Sony XBR has problem showing good PQ on other channels. People will be greatly disappointed if they follow your link and find out later that they couldn't see HD events until it is a day and half old.

Unregistered guest
Interesting to see this thread, because I just got a 50" Sammy HLP, and after finally wading through all sorts of signal issues with Comcast, was extremely pleased with my hi-def picture on every channel, until...trying to watch the Olympics on NBCHD!

I'm getting consistent, frequent picture breakup/pixellating every time I watch that channel. ESPN is fine. Comcast Sportsnet is fine. INHD 1 and 2, Discovery, fine. Only this channel. I don't get it.

Have already had the Comcast guys replace all the coax connections, a splitter, and now I even have an amplifier inside the house prior to the first two-way split to my set and the upstairs one. Comcast still seems to think there's a signal issue of some sort; they say the TV behaving that way is indicative of a signal problem.

This makes sense, but I don't understand why I'm only having the problem on NBCHD. The only other channels I've even had a similar issue on are BBCTV and Great American Country - neither of which are high-def, but both of which pixellate badly upon first tuning them in. Otherwise, they're fine too.

Has anyone else experienced this isolated picture issue on this channel? I've thought about taking off the amplifier to troubleshoot, but again, not sure if that's really the cause since other hi-def channels are mostly crystal-clear.

MattfromNC
Unregistered guest
I have noticed the pixelation and break-up as well. Sometimes it's worse than others. It may depend on your location. Sometimes PBS starts vibrating or goes out of sync for me.

nittanycheeseboy
Unregistered guest
Logically, it would seem to be one of two things:

The NBCHD broadcast signal itself is bad or too weak (unlikely unless limited to my area only, since many seem to be raving about the clarity of the Olympics on their TVs), or it's actually a higher-quality signal, maybe, than the other Comcast HDTV channels carried in my area, and my Comcast signal is in fact the weak link somewhere along the line, but only for this signal?

It's always something, isn't it? Ahhh, the joys of high-end electronics and their related headaches!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
..."or it's actually a higher-quality signal..."

Funny you should mention that!

These Olympic broadcasts are the best quality of anything I've seen on my Sony GW yet. I would love to know the bit-rate.

I suspect 'they' are pumping up the bandwidth for these broadcasts in my area, although I think the FCC limits 'them' to 19Mbps. As I said, I am getting this off-air, so maybe that's the difference.

Without turning this into a geek thread, I think those hardwired installations employ statistical multi-plexing, and so forth, e.g. all those channels share bandwidth. Maybe 'they' are compressing the signal in your area, and the signal is getting clipped from time-to-time. Who knows?

This is all conjecture on my part. All I know is I'm floored by how good the PQ is here!

BTW, Sony is running GW spots every 5 minutes. You don't think that has anything to do with it, do you? Like maybe the broadcasts have been optimized to look better on Sony products. LoL! I think that's a real stretch, but you never know...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
If you're interested in this kind of stuff, I just found this dandy article:

DTV over digital cable: Reaching a larger audience

It's a little dated - about a year old - but it'll give you a better idea of where I'm coming from... :-)

Unregistered guest
Well imagine that...with the Comcast tech coming out this morning sometime, my NBCHD picture has been outstanding from right after work last night all the way through this morning, with none of the previous problems I've experienced for the entire week.

WTF?

Hey Vin...you aren't a Sony rep, are you? :-) Glad to see anyone so fired up about their TV - good for you! I'm happy with my Sammy as well.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

I can hardly wait to see what this tech says/does today. Of course, you know the moment he leaves, the picture will go right down the commode again...

Anonymous

How can you tell the PQ is better than say Smart Travel in PBS, CSI in CBS or other sports broadcast such as Monday Night Football? I just wonder what made praise this so much like you have never seen HD before. The opening night show had so many frozen parts that I gave up watching it and the sony commercial, IMO, has a much worse picture than the rest of Olympics broadcast.

Anonymous

Olympics- HA! What a joke. Who really cares?!!?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
"How can you tell the PQ is better than say Smart Travel in PBS, CSI in CBS or other sports broadcast such as Monday Night Football?"

LoL! Fair enough!

I dunno, maybe it's the ambient lighting conditions in Greece, the wet skin, the hard bodied chicks, or, maybe it's all those lurid fantasies that come from watching wet, hard bodies chicks in the Greek sun!

Gondolas in Venice, blood 'n' guts, and sweaty football players don't do much for me... :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
"Hey Vin...you aren't a Sony rep, are you? :-)"

Heh! Nope!

Actually, I'm an IBT (Teamsters) rep. Good guess though...

Anonymous

I can respect your unique opinion about NBC's HD Olympics broadcast. I know you think it is the best since slice of bread. That is your own TV watching standard. I had problem understanding why you put down other people's substantiated opinions (people lost count of how many break-up and frozen pictures at the opening ceremony alone) while your judgement was based on "I dunno, may be the ambient lighting or the Greek sun" come on, what a LOC! I bet it was the men's syncro diving that got you excited. Finally, it all make sense to me. You are an union rep. Now I understand.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
LoL! This boy is a little slow... :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us