DVD/VCR Combo unit--need recommendation, please .....

Techie moron
Unregistered guest
Have tons of kids VHS tapes, need to keep playing them, but VCR died. Want a combo unit (space concerns), looking to spend under $200. Don't need to get all techy ... just watchin' movies. Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 124
Beware of combo units, they generally use cheaper components and have more problems than seperate units.

Techie moron
Unregistered guest
So are there ANY decent combos that you know of?

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
I've never used anything in a combo for the reason stated. I don't know too much about different DVD players, but I work on VCRs and know about them. Are there any specific units you're looking into? I would probably be better at what to avoid than what to buy. For considerably less than $200 you could get a good DVD player and VCR seperate.

Techie moron
Unregistered guest
Was considering Samsung DVD-V3650, Zenith XBV442 (or 443), or something by GoVideo (have just heard they're "sturdy" machines & my kids will likely be using it--no particular model in my sights, yet tho).

I was thinking of the combos because I really don't have (nor do I want to dedicate) the space to multiple components; however, if there is a significant inferiority in the quality, perhaps I need to rethink that (would require new TV cabinet--->more money!)

Do you have a favorite entry level player and/or VCR you'd suggest?

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
If you would have to buy a new cabinet then a combo is probably the way to go, not that much difference. Go Video is Samsung, they make some of the worst VCRs out there. Zenith is Goldstar, probably better than Samsung. If I had to pick one I'd probably go with JVC. Their VCRs have a pretty good picture and are as good or better than most. Panasonic might be ok too, but I don't like the soft picture on their VCRs much. I don't know if you were going to buy online or not, but I just saw the JVC in this weeks Ultimate Electronics ad. I haven't priced them so I don't know if the price is good or not,$129.

Techie Moron
Unregistered guest
Thanks so much, David. I appreciate your feedback. Will check on the JVC, as we have an Ultimate very nearby. Surprised me on the Samsung--seems to be a top seller out there! But I will be needing a trustworthy VCR, as we have many, many kid's tapes.

Again, thank you!

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
Just because something sells good doesn't mean that it's any good. After working on electronics for about 15 years I can tell you that most peoply buy cheap junk. I believe in spending more upfront, getting a better quality longer lasting product. Spending a little more and getting something better pays off in the long run in my book. You usually get a product that performs better too, like better tracking of bad tapes, better picture quality, etc.

Unregistered guest
This is for David Massey. Which combo dvd-vcr do you think is the least worse?

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
I would probably try the JVC if I was going to buy one. Combo units generally aren't as good as seperate ones are.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us