Cable, dvd, vcr, tv & stereo hookup

Username: Jwertel

Post Number: 1
I have seen this in many places on the site, but I haven't seen any answers. How do I hook up digital cable (Charter) ,tv, vcr and dvd so they all play through the stereo. TV is a 1 year old Sony Trinitron. Please help. You can email me at jwertel@hotmail.com Thank you.

xvxvxvx
Unregistered guest
Every one of your owners manuals will offer recommended setups and configurations. Pick one: TV--VCR--DVD--STB--Receiver

Unregistered guest
I need a website that tell you how to.

Stuff like putting components together. Like one line diagrams.

Anonymous

How do i set up tv,vcr,dvd, and stereo so that everything comes through stereo as far as audio? Symphonic dvd
Phillips Magnavox tv, vcr, stereo
Thanks, Laura

MComeaux
Unregistered guest
My question is hooking up my tv to a surround sound system. I just got a Sony kv27fs120 at Best Buy and cannot figure out how to connect it to the receiver. My dvd and vcr plugs in directly into the receiver and works great. Am I overlooking something? I was told to use the audio out jack on back of the tv but I cannot seem to find it.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Anonymous

I just bought a dvd player and now I need to hook it up to the tv but also have vcr that is taking up the jack space on the tv. What do I do to get both components working on the TV?

hottmandy1
Unregistered guest
ok im trying to hockup my tv to my stereo to have surroundsoundand on my tv its yellow& white and on my stereo its red & white so what should i do can u help me out

Username: Ticman

Tolland, Connecticut

Post Number: 2
a whole lot of questions but unfortunately no answers.

is there another thread we might be directed to??

Help

Mike

Unregistered guest
I have a stero TV and am trying to connect it with a DVD Recorder and also two VCR's in tandem.
I would also like to know what kind of business handles equpment hookup problems like this .
Also, why the CH 3 or CH 4 are so important and necessary.

Journey2
Unregistered guest
Excellent question, I have the same question. NONE of my manuals provide a diagram for ALL the items mentioned. And it looks like NO-ONE else can find that diagram either.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 341
OK guys, this is not rocket science. You make simpe audio connections with analog and digital cables. Use digital out cable from DVD and cable box, if available, and run it to corresponding digital inputs on your receiver. If your receiver does not have digital inputs, use analog inputs. For video, run video cable out from device to video input on receiver. Cable choice will depend on device and receiver. Run audio/video cable from receiver to tv audio/video input. This is basic set up but there are many variations. The receiver owner's manual should have connection diagrams.

Bronze Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 14
don't know if this is what you're looking for, but if it helps here ya go:
http://www.highdefforum.com/showpost.php?p=7698&postcount=2
there are 4 different examples, maybe one is what you're looking for.
regards

Unregistered guest
I get really tired of posts that say "read your manual". None of my manuals for my DVD, VCR, Cable Box, and Main Amp/Tuner have the exact information I need. I just wonder if there is ONE website with about 256 different configuations, or some way to talk us stupids through it.

Peas
Unregistered guest
"I get really tired of posts that say "read your manual". None of my manuals for my DVD, VCR, Cable Box, and Main Amp/Tuner have the exact information I need."

Just because you can't understand the information contained in your manuals that doesn't mean it isn't there. I get really tired of people who make posts before reading their manuals which contain all the information they require.

Peas

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 435
Thank you Peas. I realize that some manuals are less than absolutely clear. But it is obvious that many posters have not even consulted them. I have never seen a manual that does not contain at least basic connection information. Some folks would rather take the easy way out and draw on someone else's knowledge and experience. And then they have the audacity to become indignant when they are called on it.

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
OK folks. I also see lots of people not getting the answers they desire. I also feel that the manuals are not as helpful. Each device has a separate one, and often they don't relate the whole concept. It's easy to say "It's not rocket science" and simply explain the hook-ups, BUT, what happens when you do that, and it DON'T WORK. Aren't there other factors like setting a TV to channel 3 or 4, VCR switches that say TV/VCR, and remotes that come with the cable box that need settings. For some reason, I can't seem to get my video signal, coming from cable, VCR, DVD, ALL into my Onkyo stero, to swich on my TV. ...Can ANYHONE help without being condensending?

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 65
Did you connect the monitor output from your receiver to your TV? Composite cable or s-video? is your TV on the correct input? Is your Onkyo receiver on the correct input source? Is your cable box connect to the vcr, and if it is..is it connected RF or composite cables? Sorry but these all contribute to something not working. If your STB is connected to the VCR with composite cables then the VCR needs to be on line input when trying to view your STB. I'll be watching for your answers.
In defense, most of the regular people in here are willing to help, it just makes it hard when somebody ask's a question without giving exacting details. Yes manuals are confusing if you don't know how to interpret them. No they don't always show every case scenario, but the basics are in place to help you figure out what needs to go where. If you look above in a previous post there is a link that will take you out to another forum where somebody has links to websites that have diagrams. If you choose Diagram 3, I think this closely resembles what you're after. Might not be perfect but it should give you some starting point to check how your connected and if you still have problems fill in the blanks.
best of luck

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
Well, Cable Guy, and others. I did go to that diagram link, and yes, diagram 3 seems to be the best. I think I had it wrong, and I'm going to try it again, using diagram 3 as a reference. I wasn't using the monitor out hook-up to the TV. I thought that AV out was where my TV would get the video signal. So I think I'm making progress on this research. But..here are some questions for CableGuy. What is the dif between RF and composite cables. ( I have the red, white, yellow cords )I know what an S-video cord looks like. I'm not using one, cuz my TV doesnt have that input. What does it mean to set my TV or Stereo to the correct input? Do you mean channel 3 or 4, and switching my Onkyo between DVD, Vidio1, Video2, etc. ? Also, what is STB?...my cable box?
Thanks in advance. I love this site.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 67
John,
1. Glad to know you've found what you're looking for.
2. The difference between RF and coposite cables is simply the RF connector and the RCA connector, both are essentially 75 ohm cables, they just have different connectors. You can actually use an RG6 cable with RF connectors and get an adapter that converts from RF to RCA, makes a really good composite cable.
3. Setting your TV or Stereo to the correct input= You got it, switching your Onkyo receiver inputs to the correct input. If your monitor output is connected to say Video 1 on your TV set and making sure the TV is on Video 1.
4. STB= Set Top Box (cable converter, sat receiver etc..)
Hope this answers your questions

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
Thanks alot. This week-end I'm going to try again, and I'll write with the results ( hopefully good news) Note to Cable guy: Be careful when you start talking ohm, RG6, RF, RCA...It's early and I have a hang over.

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
WEll, did a little digging again, and realized that; RF cable is like the coaxle cable from the wall where I get cable TV. That's the cable with the sharp little wire in the middle. RCA connectors are the red/white/yellow cables, commonly needed for Audio/Video, with a more blunt stud in the middle, right? OK, now I need some coffee. Does "setting my VCR to Line input" to watch the STB mean switching between VCR/TV on the remote? I'm getting closer to knowing just enough to talk with my Engineer brother half way intelligently. Accountants can fake it pretty good, on a Friday.

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 73
Yes the RF cable is "coaxial", the little sharp wire is called the "stinger". RCA connectors are the type of connector found at the end of both the red/white/yellow (composite cables) and red/green/blue (component cables)
Setting your VCR to line input is saying not being on a specific channel number like 3, if you're using composite wires to connect from your cable box (STB) through your VCR using composite wires, it will need to be on to pass the signal through to your TV. If you change the channels down from 2, it should take you to the line inputs. Usually L1 is the back connections and L2 for the front connections. If it doesn't there might be an input button on your VCR remote that will let you switch between the tuner (channels) and line input (video connections).
Does this help? if not, have some more coffee lol

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
Got it!!..........I'll write with my results. Bye for now.

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
Got it!!..........I'll write with my results. Bye for now.

John in Oceanside
Unregistered guest
Good news. I got everything hooked up and working. The TV had to be on a channel other than 3 or 4, however. (Seems like the same line1 as the VCR, as it was a channel just below 1 ) Anyhow, it's all workin great. The next challenge is to reduce the number of remotes I have, ( down from the currently abusive number, FIVE) That can wait. I'm worn out, it's Monday, and I have a hang over again....( #$^#%^*$%*I$^(&*(*( )

Bronze Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 79
Great news John, glad to hear it's working. If you're looking to spend another 6-8 hundred you can fix the multi-remote issue. There may be some cheaper, there's definately more expensive. I'll let the remote geeks clue you in on what to get. :

Kath
Unregistered guest
Can anyone help?!

My TV has only one scart socket, so I have plugged in a multi-scart adapter to connect both a DVD and Video to the TV.

Both are tuned in and showing really clear pictures on video channel - but I can't get any sound on the video channel unless I unplug the DVD player, and even then I still can't get any sound from a tape playing in the video unless I plug the scart from the video directly into the TV rather than the adapter.

DVD player has sound all the time with no problem - even when everything is plugged in.

Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Hey, all i need to know is how to make my tv vcr combo with my ps2 run through my stereo speakers.
nathanhudema@hotmail.com

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 1043
Connect the audio outputs on the PS2 to the receiver.

Unregistered guest
I have been using Charter digital tv connection for some time. when you installed the digital box you connected the box, vcr and tv (using a splitter) so that I could, when desired, watch one channel while recording another. All worked well and I was happy. I recently had to replace the tv. During the connection of the new tv I got the cableing messed up and I can't recall the correct cable/splitter routing. Could you please tell me the proper routing or supply adiagram for this desired connection.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 119
Lesson learned= always mark your wires before doing a TV transfer.

cable from wall to input of two-way splitter. Take one output of the two-way splitter directly to the RF input on your digital box. Take the other output of the two-way splitter directly to the antena input on your TV. Take the composite video output (yellow/white/red) from your digital box to the input of your VCR, then composite output from the VCR to any composite video input on your TV, example video 1.

To watch cable: TV on video 1
VCR on Line Input
Cable Box on any channel

To record and watch another while recording:
TV on video 1
VCR on Line Input
Cable Box on channel recording
Put tape in VCR and being recording. Put down your Cable box remote, pick up your actual TV remote and change the input from video 1 back to your antena input, then use your TV remote to select the standard analog channel you want to watch.

When done, put the TV back on Video 1 and resume normal cable box/VCR options

Unregistered guest
I am trying to hook up a DVD player to a TV that has basic cable (no cable box). I tried the "basic connection", the red white and yellow wires, but that isn't working. Do I need to use S-video? Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1081
Set the TV on whatever input the RCA cables are connected to. S-video is better, but RCAs will work.

Unregistered guest
The cable is going directly into the tv. I have the rca cable going from the dvd player to the television. I set the DVD channel to "Video Input", but when I press "DVD" on my television remote, the message "Unusable Signal" appears.

Anonymous

After googling I found this forum.I have a question with multiple connection.TV-DVD-VCR to single audio source.One posting has mentioned a 'Receiver' would be able to connect all of them.I have Sharp TV,Toshiba DVD and Pansonic VCR and Sterio(slightly old model).Can anyone post the diagram.It would be great :=)

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 165
anonymous, if you look near the top of the thread I posted a link to a page with some different diagrams.

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:28 am:

Anonymous

First, yes I read all the manuals and still can not record on my dvd/vcr recorder.
So, I hope I can get some help.

Here is what I have:
Mitsubishi WD 52525 TV
Sony DVD Recorder RDR-VX500
Dishnet Receiver 811

AS simple as possible would be great, if there is such a thing.

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1214
Connect the satellite to the recorder with an s-video cable or RCA cables, if s-video you still need RCAs for audio, then set the recorder on whatever input you used, look for an input button on the remote or go through the channels till you get to the right line input. Connect the recorder to the TV with the triple component cables if the TV has component inputs, if not use an s-video cable, you need RCAs for audio whichever you use.

Needing Knowledge
Unregistered guest
I currently have a DVD/VCR combo connected to my TV with a coaxial cable, but would like to connect component video for better quality. What would be the best way to do this? I know both the TV and DVD/VCR have the correct ports. If i just connect them with a component video cable and leave the coaxial, would the DVD use the component video and the VCR use the coaxial? or is there a better way to do this?

Unregistered guest
Please help! I am hooked up to Comcst cable-the box has two cables one to monitor the premises and the other Tv. I have a dual DVD and VCR which works great. Plays DVD movies-the VCR part plays back great. The "manual" recorder on the VCR workds fine, howver when I use the timer recorder all I get is black.Read the manual. Please help.

circuit city guy
Unregistered guest
Needing Knowledge.....
The component video runs a digital signal from the source(DVD player) to a tv. Component will not run the analog VHS signal. You have 2 options for the vhs...f-pin coax or composite cable (white, red, and yellow. you still need to think about the audio section of the DVD player, so red and white composite cables will work. If you have a surround sound system with a reciever...you can run the video to the tv with component then digital coax for the audio to the reciever. If not, what i would recomend is component video and composite audio(red and white) to the tv, and strictly composite for the vcr side.

robertjr324
Unregistered guest
I am hooking 5 plasma tv's on one wall each of them has there own cable box so each can be on a different channels. What I need to know is what is the best way to split the cable from the main to each cable box. I am aware of 6 way splitters but is that the best way to go to get the best picture. If anyone has a good idea please feel free to let me know. This is only the tip of the iceburg

Unregistered guest
CABLEGUY, YOU SEEM TO BE ABLE TO HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE. MY QUESTION. I CANT GET THE WIDESCREEN SETTING TO WORK IN ORDER TO ENABLE MY DVD SCREEN TO MATCH THE WIDESCREEN ON THE TV. I HAVE SET EVERYTHING ACCORDINGLY, BUT STILL NO LUCK. COULD THIS PROBLEM BE IN MY CONNECTIONS?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 352
Teddy, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I know absolutely squat about DVD players, in fact I don't even own one yet. Sorry, but I'll have to defer to somebody with better DVD expertise.

Username: Wtf_over__over

Post Number: 1
Please end 3 weeks of frustation for me! I have an HDTV. HD Comcast Cable Box (Motorola). DVD Player. VCR. Yamaha Home Theater system that will not up-convert from composite to component. To maintain the HD, I've routed: wall cable to HD Cable Box (coaxial), HD Cable Box to Yamaha receiver (component video & audio), DVD to Yamaha receiver (component video & audio), Yamaha receiver to HDTV (component video only). This works so far. But to add the VCR, I've routed: Yamaha receiver out to VCR (composite), VCR out back to Yamaha receiver (composite). I get sound but no picture because I was told by a tech that the component and composite can't "talk" to each other. I then added: Yamaha "monitor out" to HDTV video 1 (composite video (yellow) only). Still no picture. I pulled every component cable out of the Yamaha receiver and still no picture. I've changed TV to Component 1 & Video 1 and I've changed Yamaha receiver to Cable TV and VCR. Nothing is working. Is it possible to make this set up work??? Other connections that don't seem to be an issue: wall cable through splitter to HDTV (coaxial) to allow Picture-in-Picture, Digital Optical lines from HD Cable Box and DVD to Yamaha receiver. Thanks for any help!

jakileez
Unregistered guest
Sorry, this sounds very cheeky, but if you can afford hdtv, maybe hire a cable guy to show you the set up in 1 hour, or google websites that show you with diagrams. There are many online.

jakileez
Unregistered guest
ok not so cheeky information now :D, here's one thing you need to make sure about.... your tv remote should have a button that says TV/AV or similar. I'm not a tv tech by any means, but this button is crucial in telling your tv which signal to pick up, ie- from cable or dvd box. Mine had tv.... av1 ... av2 ... and DVD. Now all depends on your correct configuration of jacks to access the signal you selected on your tv/av menu [onscreen]. For example-I didn't have the red/white/green composite jacks that the display on the rear of my tv said I should use for dvd. Accordingly I got ugly signals when I selected 'dvd' via the tv/av remote button. So I instead put the red/yellow/white composite jacks in what my tv manual said should be for games[on the side of the tv] and clicking through the tv/av remote button options, my dvd movie showed up on 'AV2'. Hope that helps

Gold Member

Post Number: 1696
Simple fix, connect the composite from the VCR direct to the TV, no need to connect to the receiver, then connect the audio from the VCR to the receiver.

Guestuser
Unregistered guest
Question: I broke off the coax input on the back of my tv. I just got cable, can I run the cable thru my vcr into my tv using RCA's?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us