New DLP chip details - xHD3

Unregistered guest
xHD3 details are out. A big disappointment for me - it is not native 1080p (1920x1080) as widely speculated, but a measly 1400x1050p.

In my opinion, such weird resolution (neither 720p nor 1080i) will cause scaling problems: you need to invest in a good image scaler costing 5K-8K to get decent video quality. I would rather put my money on a 720p HD2+ with a killer sound system.

Check out the latest front projector based on this chip at NEWS section of www.digitalprojection.com company website.

Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 10
Um...if that's true thats for front projection TV's, not rear projection TV's which is what this section of the forum is about.

The xHD3 DLP chips for Samsung Rear Proj sets with be native 1080p, so I'm not worried.

Unregistered guest
Nope - Texas instrument makes only one chip: its upto the manufacturer to use it in Rear projection TV / front projector.

So the much hyped Sammy xHD3 DLP will be at same resolution and not a 1080p native.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Kay maybe this will be their entry level resolution, then the 2nd set model they release will be 1080p?

Anyone else can confirm what Kay has stated?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
So anyone know if what Kay posted is true about the xHD3 chips? ................anyone?

Unregistered guest
Hey TMSKILZ,
I guess you will get the confirmation of xHD3 before Christmas when Samsung launches their new 50" RPTV based on that chip.

For pure 1080p, Epson is developing a new LCD panel. Intel is working on a LCOS 1080p prototype. Both this LCD and LCOS still suck in terms of contrast ratio compared to DLP.

So the "true" HD resolution TVs are still a good 6-12 months away.

Anonymous

Here's the Press Release:

###

Peter Cullinan
Marketing Communications Manager
T- 770.420.1350
F- 770.420.1360
pcullinan@digitalprojection.com

DIGITAL PROJECTION INTRODUCES NEW IVISION SX+ 1400 X 1050 NATIVE RESOLUTION SINGLE-CHIP DLP PROJECTORS

KENNESAW, Ga., (July 20, 2004) - Digital Projection Inc. (DPI), an Emmy Award-winning manufacturer of high-performance projection systems, announced the launch of two new 1400 x 1050 native resolution single-chip DLP iVision series projectors, the iVision sx+ and iVision sx+ W.

Weighing just seven pounds, DPI's new iVision sx+ series projectors deliver brightness of 2,500 ANSI lumens and 2000:1 contrast through Texas Instruments' new DarkChip 2 SXGA+ resolution DMD's. The iVision sx+ comes standard with a 1.7-2.2:1 zoom lens, and the sx+-W is outfitted with a 1.0:1 fixed, wide-angle lens.

"The new iVision SXGA+ native resolution projectors provide an incredible combination of brightness, clarity and contrast, not to mention comprehensive connectivity and built-in networking capabilities," said Mike Levi, president of Digital Projection, Inc. "You simply won't find more capable single-chip DLP projector than these iVisions."

Because of their high resolution, contrast and brightness relative to size and weight, the iVision sx+ and sx+ W are ideal for small-to-medium venue applications that benefit from such performance capabilities. Ultra-accurate image geometry is achieved through second-generation optics, rendering the new iVisions perfectly suited for multi-unit blended-array applications, scientific visualization and simulation. Ultra-long lamp-life-up to 4,000 hours-supports the projectors' use for public displays, small-venue rental and staging, Worship, and a host of applications in education and corporate environments.

DPI introduced the new iVision SXGA+ resolution projectors at InfoComm 2004, which was recently held in Atlanta, Georgia. The projectors will begin shipping in Q3 2004.

About Digital Projection International
Founded in 1989, Digital Projection International (DPI) has been instrumental in the development and application of Digital Light Processing technology by Texas Instruments for projection systems. DPI introduced the world's first 3-chip DLP projector in 1997, and has since delivered expert system engineering and world-class customer services and maintained its position as the digital imaging pioneer.

DPI's groundbreaking projection research and development has garnered the admiration of industry professionals around the world. This has included many awards, including two Emmy Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. DPI remains the first and only projector manufacturer to win the coveted award.

Today, DPI manufactures and distributes an extensive line of ultra high-performance 3-chip and single-chip DLPprojection systems. These projectors are the reference standard for demanding applications such as large-venue, live-event staging, Fortune 5000, Homeland Security, education, medical and scientific research, command and control, digital cinema, commercial entertainment, religious venues and elite home cinema.

A UK-based company, DPI's worldwide headquarters is located in Manchester, England, and its North American headquarters is located in Kennesaw, Georgia.

For more information: www.digitalprojection.com or www.digitalprojection.co.uk.

DLP is a registered trademark of Texas Instruments.
Emmy is a registered trademark of The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

# # #

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Well I was informed earlier today that the chip Kay is speaking of isn't the same one found in Rear Projector sets, rather for Front Projectors.

The xHD3 DLP 1080p for rear projectors will be true 1080p HDTV.

Username: Sparky

Post Number: 1
Here is some info I would like to pass on regarding the DLP issue. The web site below give details from Samsung themselves....

Samsung Reveals 1,080p DLP, CableCARD Plans
Read the full article at:
http://www.twice.com/article/CA423650.html?verticalid=820&industry=Video&industr yid=23099&pubdate=06/07/2004

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Hey Sparks welcome aboard. Thanks for the PM & heads up info. keep us & me posted on any news you heard.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
Sparks that article is from June, many here claim Samsung won't meet their shipping claims for the 5685W HD2+ (56 inch) & the 6197W xHD3 1080p sets for this year.

Username: Vortec

Post Number: 8
Agreed, TMSKILZ. Since the kirk (5085W) is all they have available in any model with the 4th gen light engine, it seems really unlikely to me that they would come out with a 5th gen light engine before next summer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
We shall see Vortec, many times companies go back & forth with the release & shipments of their products.

KRAYZ
Unregistered guest
When I buy a DLP it won't be a Samsung. I have 3 Samsung units, A 27" TV, DVD VCR Combo and a HDTV Receiver. I think they all suck. They all have serious flaws in user freindliness. I think the Mitsubishi 62" model 62525 is the best lokking so far. Yet they have a weird navigation system. I wish Sony made 1 but of course they are only doing LCD. Sony always has an excellent well thought out remote. Nice that many other manufacturers are getting into the DLP arena now.

Username: Aboyd

Anyone have info on the following?

I looked at the Samsung Samsung HL-P5063W 50" HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV - This has, if I am not mistaken, the 2nd generation TI DLP chip and uses a 3rd generation light engine. Picture looked pretty good until I compared it to the Samsung HLP5685W DLP TV 56" HD-Ready DLP-Projection TV on a pedestal, the picture quality was not nearly as good.

This TV used the 4th generation light engine. The contrast is improved to 2500:1. The 2 drawbacks are that it is approx $1000 more expensive than the HL-P5063W 50", and only comes in a max size of 56".

That is all fine and good. Does anyone know if/when Samsung is going to produce a 60+" DLP that used the 3rd generation TI chip AND the 4th or 5th generation of light engine? Or, is the 3rd gen TI DLP chip only going into projectors and not TVs?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have heard a lot about Samsung reliability problems with their DLP rear TV. For instants Color wheels that have to be replaced plus premature bulb burn out.
Before I plug down $ 3-4000. i wont to be sure that I don't buy a dog. I know the picture looks great, but I need a quality unit that needs no repair !!

Unregistered guest
samsung blows
if anyone on this site invests any money into a samsung "t.v." if they can even be called that, they are making a huge mistake.

put your money in to a front projector from hitachi, sharp and if you are a real p*mp runco

and besides all this talk of dlp is making me sick to my stomach, lcd has a much softer image and more true to standards in color reproduction.

all of you people are going to invest your money in a t.v. that has one million plus moving parts.

have any of you seen a dlp of the highest price range in real applications as apposed to demo floors? most of the brands producing dlp t.v.'s are off-brand and thier video processings really really suck. just wait untill about 3% of the pixels(mirrors) burn out(stop moving) and half are stuck on and the other half stuck off.

samsung and other off-brands allows for 5% pixels to burn out(stop moving)

sharp and runco are probably the only ones out there that don't suck.

if you really want a sweet a*s t.v. go out and get the new 45" sharp lcd flat panel now that t.v. is awesome. and it only costs about 2,000 or 3,000 dollars more

and further more shop at a real brick and morter store and talk to a professional

why do all of you people talk amongst yourselves all the time guessing at the answers to your important questions

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
B-Radly,
Sorry to hear about your dissapointment towards Samsung, however this is NOT a B I T C H I N G site.
Stop being maladramatic! If you had an issue with a manufacturer, post your problem and your experience.
What qualifies you as an expert in recommending TVs anyways!
Help us all on this forum by being specific with your issues; otherwise DON'T bother posting!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
B-Radly it's one thing to disagree with someone else, but it's another to speak as though you're the authority on what TV's suck & which don't.
To each his own, now go crawl back to your hole you troll!

Unregistered guest
i am truely sorry guys

however everyone here speaks as they are the authority on what t.v.'s suck and don't

it is odd that some are offended by an opposing view

and it is a fact that samsung blows

Unregistered guest
maybe you should respond to the facts of dlp i stated earlier, and not the tone in which i relayed my message to you.

if all i had to do, is capitalize and space my cuss words i would have done so

just like this P I M P and A S S

Unregistered guest
i would like to know if any of you know exactly how the xhd3 chip achieves a resolution of 1920 by 1080 or even 1400 by 1050

Silver Member
Username: Mr_lynch

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 111
At a resent trade show Samsung showed a set with the xhd3 chip. They talked about how the chip was 960x1080, and it uses a mirror trick to double the vertical lines to achieve a 1920x1080 resolution. It was an incredible looking set, but Samsung would not disclose any other info, or even hint at when it might be available. Seeing that they haven't even released the tabletop HD2+ models, I'd take it the xhd3 is a ways off and the cost will be insane. I'll try to find a write up on the show and post a link.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 112
At a resent trade show Samsung showed a set with the xhd3 chip. They talked about how the chip was 960x1080, and it uses a mirror trick to double the vertical lines to achieve a 1920x1080 resolution. It was an incredible looking set, but Samsung would not disclose any other info, or even hint at when it might be available. Seeing that they haven't even released the tabletop HD2+ models, I'd take it the xhd3 is a ways off and the cost will be insane. I'll try to find a write up on the show and post a link.

Username: Sound4bargain

Post Number: 10
Ok I know of 1080 is of interest to some but if you want to hook up a computer 1400x1500 is better and if its for media - than most of the industry is settling in for a 720p standard. Some cable is 1080i but in reality I would rather they went 720p as progressive is much better than interlaced and quality is much better when you stay true to the original content no line doubling and tricks.

Oh for all those ranting about LCD check this torture test out
http://olympics.reuters.com/audi/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=6 576456

D. Lowry
Unregistered guest
I understand that altitude (I live at 8000 feet) is an issue with LCD and plasma displays life cycle. I've concluded that DLP is the answer for me. Also my space is limited to a 50" screen so side mounted speakers won't work. Kinda narrows down to a Samsung 50.

Username: Movies_only

Post Number: 3
after a long long look at ALL types & makes of hdtv's i decided the sammy dlp's had absolutely the best pq and that the xx85 series was obviously the best of the best (imho), but was wondering about the "new" series with xhd3 chip delivering 5000:1 contrast. are they worth waiting for?
well, just did some research on the upcoming (months,years?) release of the sammy xx97 models:hlp5697 & hlp6197. they will have the new xhd3 chip for 1080p resolution, BUT will only have 3000:1 contrast, NOT the 5,000:1 contrast that was originally projected.
since the hlp5685 has the hd2+ chip for 2500:1 contrast and has the 4th gen light engine and 7 seg. color wheel @ 10,800 rpm (same as the upcoming xx97 models), i dont see a helluva lot of difference. certainly not enough improvement to warrant waiting until who knows and spending lots more $$$ for the xx97's.
so, i've decide to get the 5685 within the next few weeks - prolly right after i return from t-giving holiday. for me it's the best choice. anyone waiting for the xx97's who would like to throw in their 2cents and argue that they're worth waiting for? i'd love to hear any & all opinions.

ray d
Unregistered guest
bob, my 2 cents worth is the 1080p will be THE standard for the forseeable future and i wont buy until the 97 series is out. as to the contrast #'s, just look at the 85's vs the 63's and you have your answer. you get what you pay for!

Username: Movies_only

Post Number: 4
ray, you have a good point, but im not sure. the stats for the 97 series already show only a 3000:1 contrast ratio (not nearly as significant as the leap from the 63 to the 85 series). plus, how much difference will i actually see with the increase to 1080p? - probably IS significant, but how long will i have to wait for it (could be up to 1 year) AND when it 1st comes out, will be $5500-6000 im sure. i'd hav to wait another 6-12 months for price reduction. i can get the hlp5685 right now for $3240 plus shipping ($375) & that aint bad. or wait a year and pay additional $2000-2500 - i dont know bout that.......

Username: Ezra

Can someone explain to me if a TV with 1080p will be significantly better than the current 720p resolution? Does this resolution only matter if I plan to attach a computer to my tv?
Also, does anyone know what DLP chip is being used in the Mitsubishi Diamond Series DLP TV's?

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
i believe tweeter told me hd2+.

ray d
Unregistered guest
bob,the 97's are right around the corner! another stream says that 1888camcorder has info. i went to their site and you can preorder the 6197 for early jan delivery. you're right about sticker shock at 6k! but by spring i'm hoping availabily and competition will put the 5697 under 5k.

Username: Kintvauthority

Post Number: 3
This is a pretty basic read on how Wobulation works. There are more technical links out there, but this is a good basic explanation without too many details.
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2004/homeentertainment/article/0,22221,767810, 00.html

Interesting stuff. They are using it right now, but not to make 1080P, just to improve the smoothness of the image.(HD3).

Kin@tvauthority.com

remarshall
Unregistered guest
Anyone know what the overall width of the 5697 will be? I am absolutely limited to 52".
I can make the 5674 work, but would like to wait for the xHD3 (5697) if it will fit.

Thanks so much!

Otis Wildflower
Unregistered guest
1080p would be _OUTSTANDING_ for HTPC gaming, if you have an adequate vidcard (GFX5900 non-FSAA or equiv), I regularly game at 1920x1200(@75hz) and it's awesome. I assume 1080p sets will be at least 60hz native.

DVDs should look pretty good at 1080p depending on your scaler. Sporting events upconverted (flattened) from 1080i could be problematic though.

Here's to waiting for the >52" $3000 1080 set...

Mr DLP
Unregistered guest
Hey, all this talk about Samung DLPS and TOshiba etc. What do you guys think of the Panasonic 50" DLP, with the HD2+ chip and an 8 segment colour wheel? That is the tv im thinking to buy. Any advice or info?

Anon Amous
Unregistered guest
Can you pose this question under an appropriate thread.
Thank you

Anonymous

I too was getting sick of waiting for the tabletop equiv. to the 5685 and decided to put it completely out of my mind when i read about the xhd3 chip from TI. I put my 3600 into 300 shares of Williams Companies and have made 1500 profit since then. Point is, if the money's burning a hole in your pocket just invest it and wait a year. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
Damn, I find it hard not pulling the trigger on the Samsung Pedestal models (5085 & 5685) but the chance of owning a 1080P is proving too much to pull the trigger.

I am keeping my eyes out for the Samsung 97 series(1080p) models but I am also keeping an eye out for Sony's own 1080p model coming out early next yr. I read about it briefly in an issue of Sound & Vision, it's slated for an early 2005 release @ 70 inches & just under 10k.

I'm trying to save up!:-)

Hblaze
Unregistered guest
There's no doubt that the excitement over the upcoming 97 series that promises "true hd." However, I'm wondering what ACTUAL benefits will there be with this set. What will likely be available -- either on cable/satelite or on dvd-- in the forseeable future that will take advantage of this new high resolution? Today, there is a new development in the war over DVD format in hd. I'd imagine, however, this will not be supporting anything near the 1080p resolution. Please give your thoughts. TIA.

DLPdrool
Unregistered guest
Hblaze, I have been doing a little research on the HD-DVD format that will replace DVDs (480p native) in the future. Obviously, if TVs are going to be doing 1080p natively, then you would want you media to match it. There is a company (Lowry Digital)that does Digital restoration at super high resolution (1080p and above), which will be one of the main companies providing the remastering for HD-DVD content. HD-DVD players are super expensive right now. So, the only way you will be able to enjoy 1080p with out spending a whole lot more money will be through the true HD signal coming from cable or satallite carriers. I think buying a xHD3 TV will be a good investment for many years to come until 1080p formats are the norm on all media, and we all start drooling for even higher resolution. But then they will have to figure out how to make the mirrors smaller or get them moving faster, but that is an issue for a different day.

pass_the_butter
Unregistered guest
About a month ago a saleman in a shop told me they had been to a Toshiba demo the night before and saw a DLP with xHD3+ chip ("the best picture i have seen on any TV, ever"). At the time Toshiba were expecting to release a 60 inch version in Australia for under AU$10k by Christmas.

driver8
Unregistered guest
The true benefit of the xHD3 chip versus the HD2+ is the superior resolution. Unless you are using the TV as a monitor (which i plan to at 1600x1200 or close equivalent) you might not notice the resolution difference; in fact, upconverting from other resolutions might look worse for TV/DVD. However, an increase in contrast will be a good thing.

driver8
Unregistered guest
oops - i mean 1920 x 1080 not 1600 x 1200.

jmprader
Unregistered guest
In earlier posts, several of you have indicated the new TI xHD3 chip is less than true 1080p. Is there a final consensus/confirmation on this? If it's software mumbo-jumbo that begets the claim, shame on everyone from TI on up. Bogus resolution claims are usually the work of inept salespeople. If the practice is heading up the foodchain, we are all the worse for it.

Anonymous

Some more info...
http://www.ce-pro.com/default.asp?NodeId=2618

Anonymous

Does anyone know the exact dimensions of either the HLP5697 or the HLP6197? I'm hoping the latter is the same form factor as the HLP6163W. I'm working in a confined space.

TIA

Anonymous

Samsung Announces 1080p DLP Plans

"06/02/04 - NEW YORK -- Samsung announced that this fall it will ship a DLP rear projection HDTV based on Texas Instruments' xHD3 1080p Digital Micromirror Device (DMD). "

Great info Anonymous???

DLPdrool
Unregistered guest
Actually if you go down a bit further and click on the URL under 'Related:' you will see another URL to a press release from Samsung for the 1080p DLP to be released in February '05.

Here, I will make it easy for ya,

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/PressRelease/PressRelease.asp?seq=20050106_00 00090605

Wolfman
Unregistered guest
I just read a thing on my MSN frontpage that talked about Samsung's CES showcase. They mentioned that the 56 in. 1080p set would be on a pedestal. If this is true, I hope they don't put the stupid speakers on the sides like the Tosh. or the current model of Kirks. I would hate to have to downsize to the 50 inch model just to fit it on the avalable wall space.

Does anybody know if any other manufacturers will put he XHD3 chip in their future sets (Mitz, Tosh, etc.)?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 392
About the new chip...

The new DLP 1920 x 1080p high resolution rear projection displays should begin appearing in early 2005. They use TI's new xHD3 chip, which has a 960 x 1080 matrix of mirrors that works together with TI's SmoothPicture moving mirror actuator to produce 1920 x 1080 addressable pixels onscreen. The mirrors are oriented at 45 degrees in a diamond configuration in order to work with SmoothPicture to eliminate all visible pixel structure without sacrificing resolution. (The xHD3 is simply a higher resolution version of the existing 640 x 720 HD3 chip mentioned above.)

Username: Avhays

SmoothPicture vs wobulation:

My understanding is the TI's approach (SmoothPicture) doubles pixels horizontally. HP's patent-pending approach ('wobulation') doubles pixels both horizontally and vertically (and can be applied to DLP, LCD, LCoS). TI is using diagonal mirrors on the HD3, xHD3, I think HP is using the traditional square mirror DLP chips. I wonder which approach would produce the better 1080p picture?

jlnjn
Unregistered guest
1080 vs 1050

Do not be concerned about the apparent lower resolution of the 1050 pixel screen. All televisions overscan slightly to compensate for power supply flucuations. 3% overscan is about average for a high end projection. This translates to about 1050 pixels down from 1080.

The manufacturers do not want the edge flucuations to be visible, so they do not display those 30 pixels, hence the native resolution of 1050.

There is no problem constructing a perfect 1080 display with zero overscan, but the weight, size, and especially cost would increase significantly for the extra "headroom" in the power supply. It is a value proposition. 1050 perfect visible vs 1080 perfect visible.

This is a great comparison to use at the store where multiple sets are showing the same thing. Look at the edges and see the difference in how much is displayed.

Of course, broadcasters take modest overscan into account just like movie directors do when using 2.35:1 ultra cinemascope and frame accordingly.

gmc
Unregistered guest
Anyone heard about the hlr-68 series? This is what I've seen so far:
http://www.16nine.com/archives/2005/01/11/samsung-launches-biggest-and-sharpest- dlp

escapes
Unregistered guest
Gentlemen,
Am glad to find a group discussing these new Samsung 1080p dlp sets. I am a hold out still running my 15 year old Mitz 35" but the killer DD 5.1 sounds to compensate. I am reaching 50 late March and my family wants to get me a new set. Comcast Digital Cable love and hate relationship, from all that I read waiting makes sense for these sets. My question as I have worked with DLP projectors from their inception is how loud are the fans? I have seen some that are very loud, while I am getting blinder my ears have never been better. I do want to use the set as a monitor and see it having a longer life.
Anyone see one at CES out in Vegas, thanks in advance

jamesjm
Unregistered guest
Anyone find out the cabinet depth of the new Samsung 56" models?

Wolfman
Unregistered guest
I'd like to see a picture and some dimensions of the new 56 inch set. The HLR 5668 is said to be available in June. But I'm building my HT room right now.
I'm really hoping the depth will not be any more than the current sets, and I'd really like to see a tabletop model that doesn't have those stupid speakers on the sides of the screen.

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
escapes, I own the Mits 52725 DLP set and I never hear the fans. I hear it slightly when the set is turned off and the fan is cooling the lamp but other than that I just do not hear any fan noise at all. My family has also not commented on the fan noise either.

jamescrew
Unregistered guest
escapes, I own the Mits 52725 DLP set and I never hear the fans. I hear it slightly when the set is turned off and the fan is cooling the lamp but other than that I just do not hear any fan noise at all. My family has also not commented on the fan noise either.

gmc
Unregistered guest
Jamesjm - I believe I read that the 68 series will range from 12 to 17 inches deep, but there's still not much info out on these things yet.

Unregistered guest
The new 67" 1080dpi set coming in June, is it the pedestal model like the HL-P5685W?

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 458
check it out here:
http://www.cnet.com/4520-10602_1-5619186-1.html

Username: Mr_sparks

Vista1, Ca Usa

Post Number: 9
We won't have any 1080p content to watch for a while. So, I wonder if the new 1080p sets will up scale from 720P or 1080i, to 1080p. If so, that would be an excellent resolution picture we could enjoy soon. If not, I personally could'nt justity the 1080p set, until 1080p content is available.

Any one know if the new 1080p sets will upscale lower resolution to 1080p.

Mr Sparks

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 459
They have a 1080p LCD at a Microsoft display near my work. They are running Media Center PCs with WMV running at 1080p. It looks incredible. They also play OTA HD content on the sets. It de-interlaces the 1080i content, and upscales 720p to 1080p. The results are really good but I don't think it looks much better than a native 720p set. Standard def programs do not look good at all though. I'll stick with my 720p JVC for a long time before I upgrade to a 1080p set or whatever comes up.

Unregistered guest
I guess the largest pedestal(85 series) model will be 56". Please confirm or deny.

Wolfman
Unregistered guest
I really hope not. I don't mind the pedestal, but I'd prefer they leave the speakers along the bottom of the screen. I mean, honestly, do they think someone is going to spend $5K for a 56 inch TV and not hook it up to a nice HT speaker set up? They could completely leave speakers off the thing for all I care.

dxjnorto
Unregistered guest
Does anyone on this forum have any real details or personal experience with the reliability of the color wheel assembly in these sets? I'm not looking for a rant from someone who picks things apart or bought a lemon, but general information please.

I'm leary of the 9000 or 10,800 rpm, whichever it is, that these things are spinning at. My CPU fan spins at about 5800 rpm and it's been going steady for a couple years no problem, but it only cost twenty bucks. At twice that speed, does anyone know what the real world service life of the color wheel bearings is? How much is a replacement color wheel?

Also, can the color wheel be replaced independently or does the whole light engine have to be replaced? Is the color wheel user serviceable for someone who has basic tools and know-how?

Extended service contracts are generally a rip-off. If possible, I service things myself. As far as I can tell, the set I'm considering, the Samsung HLP4674, is more reliable than the XX63 series.

I asked Samsung these questions via their contact us webpage, but haven't heard back.

I'm sorry if I broke anybody's forum content rules. I haven't found a thread that addresses these questions. If anybody knows anything, I'll start one.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Let's work backward on your post.

There are no forum rules, unless you're trying some four letter words. Maybe you will hear from Samsung, if they find the time, and maybe not. However their factory warranty folks are excellent. I think the 74 series is much more reliable that my 63 series according to this forum. The color wheel is almost as easy to replace as the lamp. In fact, it slides up and down in front of the lamp. The back of the set has to come off, though. The light engine slides out on it's own shelf. Two tiny wiring harnesses and two screws and it slides up. Extended service contracts are not a rip-off when it comes to these expensive "new inventions". We are the test ground. Let the techs replace anything for a few years. Color wheels are in the $200 range. My old defective one lasted six months. My new improved one is supposed to last many years. Time will tell. I think Samsung has the brightest, best, most reliable long-lasting display in the biz. Blacks are very black. Colors are vivid. The picture is sharp and crystal clear with no glare. I like my 50" and 46's look just as nice. Everyone with a 61" says standard def analog is worse than a tube tv. They are probably sitting too close to that magnified image as well. HD is stunning! Local digital networks are fantastic to watch. Hope this helps.

Unregistered guest
Is the 1080p set out on the market yet?. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Silver Member

Seattle, WA

Post Number: 465
There are no 1080p DLP sets on the market yet. There are only very few 1080p sets available, one being the 45" Sharp Aquos LCD set.

Unregistered guest
Samsung and other sites says the set will be available in Feb 05. Anyone knows when in Feb or any delay?

Jodymac
Unregistered guest
Was thinking of buying the 50" RCA Scenium. Is the new technology worth waiting for? Has anyone heard about any problems with the RCA? It looked really GREAT at BB at several different locations (stood out among all the dlp). Definitely want a 50" dlp is this the best one? All suggestions appreciated

Unregistered guest
I want a pedestal style TV like the HLR6788W coming out, but I am looking for something a little larger than 56 inches. Any other options out there or coming "soon".

Username: Psprando

I just returned Mitz WD-52525 because bulb fan was way too loud and so was the exhaust fan. Card fan runs 24/7 but it was quiet.

My question is: Is the Samsung HL-P5697 a good replacement and if so, what is a fair price to pay. Also, I watch 75% of TV in Standard Def so that is important. I also heard the HD2+ chip is the best? My budget is $3200 and that must include the extended warranty. No sales tax in Oregon.

Please advise.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
ralphn,

That's actually the HLR6768W and the first two numbers (67) is the screen size. The set is not available until mid to late summer.

Phil,

You must mean the HLP5674W with the HD2+ high contrast chip. It's a great set. Klaus has one and he really likes it. Standard def will look very good provided you use a Sat service or your cable provider is exceptional. Digital 1234 has good reviews. Here is a link.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?sort_type=price&masterid=5029645& isbn=&pid=

Username: Psprando

Post Number: 2
What is the contrast ratio on the Samsung HL-P5674? I thought the HD2+ chip was 3000:1 but a review I read says the 5674 is 2000:1 and honestly I don't know what this means.

I just want a 50-56" DLP that will have good display on DishNetwork Standard Def. The Mitz WD-52525 was good on the 4:3 mode but the fan noise was its downfall.

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=HLP5674WX%2fXAA

Post Reader
Unregistered guest
Marino,

This is from CNet glossary.

contrast ratio - Difference between the brightest whites and the darkest blacks a display can show. The higher the contrast ratio, the greater the ability to show subtle color details and tolerate ambient room light (for example).

ralphn
Unregistered guest
Post Reader,

I meant HLR5788W, coming in Feb 05. I don't think the HLR6768W coming in June is a pedestal type TV or is it?

PR
Unregistered guest
No, it's going to be a stand top.

BillE
Unregistered guest
I'm a video idiot, so please help. With all the apparent video processing capability of the Samsung HLR6768W, do you need a video processor like the DVDO IScan HD+? I don't want to spend another $1500 for the DVDO unit, but I don't want to do without its video processing capability. So, does the HLR6768W have all that stuff built in? Thanks much for your help.

DLP-Dave
Unregistered guest
Marino,

The Panasonic 50" DLP has a great picture on SD with feed from Dish Network. It can vary from channel to channel somewhat, but last night watching TNT, the picture quality was so good, I could have sworn I was watching HD.

Jimmy T
Unregistered guest
Bill,

The 68 is supposed to handle every input format from 480I to 1080P.
I don't see why an external processor would be needed.
Are you hearing any new availability dates on that model?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us