Recommended projector???

Username: Mic

Post Number: 1
I know I might be doing this out of order, but I have already purchased Onokyo 770 audio and now I'm looking for a projector. Any suggestions to the best model for around (hopefully under) $2,500 mkt that someone can recommend.

Unregistered guest
I just bought the NEC HT1100 projector and am wondering if I should get a upconvert DVD player with DVI output or just get a regular DVD player with progressive scan and component output (may be confusing with composite, I mean the three cables for just the picture, not audio). A guy at Best buy told me that there is almost no difference between 720 through the cables and 1080i through the dvi, and a guy at tweeter told me that there is a image converter in the projector so it doesn't matter what I pump in. Anyone have a suggestion?

Username: Jeanyves

Post Number: 1
I have been researching projectors...Infocus is a brand name that is getting wonderful reviews. I have decided to get an Infocus 4805. There are others in a higher price range where you reside that will do fantastic for you.

Username: Nolema

PerthAustralia

Post Number: 5
Saw the Optoma H56A around June on a 2+ m screen.....It's on my WANTED list..It really is that impressive and not that expansive as well

Username: Jason586

Glen rose, Tx Us

Post Number: 7
I am also getting the S770 for Christmas. How do you like yours? I have definitely been hearing great things consistently on the Infocus SP4805 and plan on getting it soon. But I haven't decided on a DVD player. Any thoughts what to get with these other two in different price rages up to $500. Thanks!!!

Username: Seenalot

Post Number: 8
I like Sanyo because they have the same chips as sony does inside. I don't like single chip dlp projectors and I don't see how anyone does when you see a lcd and dlp side by side. Three chip dlp is great, but who has the money. I would go Sanyo plv-z3

Anonymous

Looks like this year lots of good hi def front projectors. No need anymore to drop 10k for a theater

Just bought the Panasonic model PT AE7000 LCD projector, paid around 2200

Picture very sharp with brilliant colors - testing with an OTA Samsung set-top box. Better picture than any tv's I had ever seen in stores. Using PBS HI-DEF signal, and quite amazing overall on these travel shows they rotate nearly every night

Even with lights up moderate, picture still strong. However intensity far higher with lights down.

Testing around 70 to 90 inches on the screen, and I don't see any screen door effects at all. Just as Panasonic says in the users guide, viewers can sit as close as screen diagonal with no problem, and this is in fact, true

Old viewing distance rules simply don't apply for hi-def

Elite screen on the way, currently using a 5 dollar poster board 90 inch - looks quite good in fact

Have been looking 3 months for a hi-def for downstairs family room

basic conclusions I developed:

Plasmas - overpriced, fade problem - no need to have hang on wall. Great way to get a set into a living room etc, convince spouse, however, beyond that, not sure, as many will lose color intensity with high hour viewing
CRT projections - too big
LCD rear projections - SONY, PAN, HITACHIS ok - but no flexibility
LCD'S- sony 32 amazing, but way too overpriced currently
DLP - corcerned about color wheel issues, and upcoming 3 chip units way off the map in price

I narrowed it down to 4 front LCD projectors, even though with both DLP and LCD one would have to consider the risks at some point of dead pixel problems. The benefits outweighed the risk, considering for example (in the case of LCD) the intensity and sharpness of the color

most important I needed an authentic 1280x720 def projector

SONY VPL-HS51 LCD - $2900 - ok, but why pay more, 1.55 zoom

SANYO PLV-Z3 LCD - $2000. 1.3 zoom - looks ok but apparently not quite as good a unit as Panasonic

INFOCUS SP-500 LCD around $1800 - could be a good budget set but not sure about it

PANASONIC AE-7000U LCD - seems to be most impressive with full 2.0 zoom, HDMI etc

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Yeah, I think that the Panasonic is a good buy. I saw the sanyo and Panasonic at www.projectorpackages.com they have a showroom and I flew in on business and had time to see them both. I thought the Z3 had better color, but the 700u had a brighter picture and more gadgets for the money.

Anonymous

My guess is that all 4 new generation full-hi def llow-cost projector LCD's (sony, pan, infocus, sanyo) to some extent should all have great pictures, however with the PAN with that 2.0 zoom lense - that will add huge flexibility as to final projector placement

Currently in the test position with the PT AE7000, (before my new 92 in screen arrives,) I am projecting an 80 diagonal picture, with a projector placment of about 110 inches -from a very solid surface - basically a straight shot/ mid-screen level - probably ideal from what the specs suggest

VIEW 1 DISTANCE OF 80 INCHES FROM screen

huge big screen impact, no screen door effects
brilliant colors - way beyond any setup I have
seen in stores. No problem at this close dis-
tance

VIEW DISTANCE 2 - a more practical distance, about 110 inches, excellent overall, of course no screen door problem there either. More normal viewing distance, however, with this kind of screen detail,any further back beyond 1.2 to 1.4 times screen diag for example - I believe is missing out entire theater experience. This 1.2 position might be better for DVD's - not sure -but for pristine high def feeds, its only 2nd best

I am running the COMCAST provided Motorola DCT 6400 Series High Def dual tuner cable receiver (i.e records in hi def or regular)

Comcast signals - despite signal compression etc -look just about the same as over the air - for example on the PBS feed

What has surprised me, it that that the RECORDING HI DEF play on the COMCAST provided box look precisely the same as the original broadcasts
I think they charge 10 to 15 dollars a month for this box - which is quite amazing since the new over-the-air SONY high def hard drive box (due out shortly) will be selling near a 1000 dollars for the large one

Unregistered guest
I REALLY WANT TO PURCHASE A PROJECTOR BUT HAVE A LIMITTED BUDGET $1500 AND UNDER WHAT SHOULD I GET I GET. MAINLY FOR DVD AND SATILITE FED TELEVISION THANKS

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
If you have the screen and everything and only need the projector, I recmend the a Sanyo PLV-Z2.

BobbyO
Unregistered guest
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post here. I had been over on the Samsung/DLP TV site because that is the type of video display that I thought I would build my system around. However, now that I have been doing some research, it appears that front projection might be the way to go for us.
Would you please give me your opinions?
My projector placement will be 20 feet from the screen and the 2 ideal chairs are 13 feet from the screen. What size image would be best?
I've been tracking the DLP technology and it seems great but some of the LCD models look good from the specifications that I see.
Panasonic AE-700U (720p LCD) vs. InFocus 7205 (720p DLP).
And what about future 1080p chips coming?

Thanks for your input...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
With that type of throw you are going to have to go with the AE-700U projector. Which is a fantastic projector. Do not go with the InFocus 7205 DLP projector.

http://www.mitsubishi-electric.com.au/files/proj/manuals/xd300uxd350u.pdf Check this link out and read page 27 in troubleshooting 3rd from the bottom. This will tell you why not to go DLP.

If you want to know all the truth about these things, talk to the guys who will tell you the truth. I talked with www.projectorpackages.com. You are going to want to go a 100 to 110"D screen.

Anonymous

Per the owners manual that comes with the AE-700U - they recommend first row viewing distance as close as the screen diagonal - ie. if you have a 100 inch screen -then that w/b as close as 8 and 1/2 feet away. 13 feet is a bit too far in my opinion with the kind of detail being put out with true 720p high quality HDTV broadcasts and the upcoming HD-DVD discs

While the lens can throw 20 feet, closer placement 17 or 18 feet s/b a bit better. However in your case, only the AE700U has any kind of true flexibility on projector placement

As for 1080p - its out -however for projectors especially its at the beginning of the cost curve. Example one can currently buy THE CINEOPRO 9X ELITE PACKAGE (9 INCH CRT) with dvd player, 130 inch Stewart screen, and Teranex 3RU video processor - all for only $125,000 - and it will display 1080p

DLP should be 2nd choice, because its not necessarily any better than LCD and you MIGHT end up with audience members that get dizzy or get headaches from that spinning color wheel - an unecessary risk

I guarantee you the day 1080p becomes rock bottom cheap (my guess within 2 to 3 yrs) - some new standard will have already hit the market - the manufacturers always will have a new rabbit for the hounds to chase, probably HOME IMAX or something similar

Anonymous

Per the owners manual that comes with the AE-700U - they recommend first row viewing distance as close as the screen diagonal - ie. if you have a 100 inch screen -then that w/b as close as 8 and 1/2 feet away. 13 feet is a bit too far in my opinion with the kind of detail being put out with true 720p high quality HDTV broadcasts and the upcoming HD-DVD discs

While the lens can throw 20 feet, closer placement 17 or 18 feet s/b a bit better. However in your case, only the AE700U has any kind of true flexibility on projector placement

As for 1080p - its out -however for projectors especially its at the beginning of the cost curve. Example one can currently buy THE CINEOPRO 9X ELITE PACKAGE (9 INCH CRT) with dvd player, 130 inch Stewart screen, and Teranex 3RU video processor - all for only $125,000 - and it will display 1080p

DLP should be 2nd choice, because its not necessarily any better than LCD and you MIGHT end up with audience members that get dizzy or get headaches from that spinning color wheel - an unecessary risk

I guarantee you the day 1080p becomes rock bottom cheap (my guess within 2 to 3 yrs) - some new standard will have already hit the market - the manufacturers always will have a new rabbit for the hounds to chase, probably HOME IMAX or something similar

Anonymous

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Anonymous, I notice you use the words HOME IMAX over and over. I would like to know why, do you know something we don't?

Anonymous

sorry for the triple post - as the server last night was indicating only error messages

I am using the term HOME IMAX in a generic sense, as IMAX itself, now a public company, does not suggest anything similar to this in the pipleline currently

Consistent with this, in one section of their home page, they indicate the following "The IMAX Experience is an out-of-home experience that can not be matched by any in-home entertainment system" This makes sense because IMAX and their licensees have a vested interest in making sure their valuable technology is unique to their theaters.

IMAX is primarily about using a large (non-digital) film format combined with ultra large screens and very expensive Dolby audio -basically an "immersive" experience, as they refer to it.

Whether IMAX licenses out their name for home use, using their technology or other technology, there is absolutely no doubt at some point home users will want the "immersive" experience at home

This could be the so-called digital "ultra high definition" presently being researched by other companies (5 to 10 yrs away) or some other technology, but there is always a next technology around the corner. It will of course be digital not analog, because only digital chips can keep the costs low

Remember screens are innately cheap, projectors are well in the way to becoming cheap, and advanced audio already cheap at the volumes required in a home theater ,with Dolby itself moving from commercial to home use, and still managing to keep its name intact for the most part.

Point is something like a "HOME IMAX" is no doubt on the way in some form

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I was just wondering. I personally know the people who make the IMAX screens. Never heard that from them. They do make the most awesome home theater screens, but they have no relation with IMAX. The home theater screens are high contrast gray, not made for 3D and 2D in the format and gains that IMAX needs.

BobbyO
Unregistered guest
Speaking of screens...What brands and types are the best for home use? DVD/HDTV.
Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
www.projectorpackages.com,

I have the electric screen, but I wish I had the fixed frame screens.

BobbyO
Unregistered guest
Electric is my only option. Any advice on styles, types, brands, etc. All advice is welcomed. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Matte White is all I have and it looks great. A good electric screen is worth its money. If you get a cheap one the screen material is so thin that it wringkles.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us