VCR - not rewinding or forward widing -JVC HR-S7300U

Username: Mandani05

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 2
I have JVC's HR-S7300U - SuperVHS VCR that has been functioning very well up until now.
The machine plays the tapes well and will forward and rewind in PLAY mode. But will do bit of forward or rewind in stop mode and "shut-off" completely.
Can someone suggest as to what might be wrong with the machine. Checked all the belts - they are ok.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 106
How old is the VCR? Looking inside it when you rewind or fast forward, what exactly happens?

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 3
VCR is 8 years old
Checked the inside, it is initiating the rewind or fast forward but stops right away (only after few inches of rewind/fast forward) and shut the machine off. What I also noted is that for the rewind and fast-forward operation the tape is still around the drum. The mechanism does not bring tape out of the drum ready engagement.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
Newer VCRs leave the tape in the loaded position when fast forward/rewinding. Does the tape counter work when in rewind/fast forward?

Will Marshall
Unregistered guest
I've the exactly the same problem with a
3 1/2 year old jvc HRS6722 svhs machine.
As above it winds forward [or rewinds] a little, at a slow speed, which is usual before it switches into high speed winding, but instead of taking off at high speed there is a whirring for a few seconds [or no sound, it varies]then it shuts down.
The tape counter works during the slow initial wind.

Looking inside,
the tape is spooled around the drum and during the slow wind the pinch roller holds the tape against the capstan and then moves off it at the point where high speed wind should begin - after it doesn't begin winding the pinch roller then moves back onto the tape and the machine shuts down.

Any ideas please ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
Could be a number of things, mode switch, capstan motor, or reel sensor. Sometimes a plug just isn't making a good connection, you might try unplugging any ribbon cables you can and plugging them back in.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 234
One of the most common repairs in VCRs (and not just S-VHS machines) is the need to replace the idler wheel. (This is the part Will calls the "pinch roller.") Over time, the rubber surround hardens and wears down with use, making its replacement necessary. This is one of the reasons why a 2-way rewinder was always a good idea. Avoiding unnessary rewind/forword winding and excessive forward/backward scanning prolongs the life of the idler wheel and the entire mechanism.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
VCRs have a pinch roller too. They haven't used a rubber tire in VCRs since the mid 1980s, they quit using them long before his 3 1/2 year old machine was made.

Will Marshall
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the suggestions,I'll check the ribbon cables.

I was describing what I understand to be the pinch wheel roller John S
http://www.iglou.com/studiosound/pr.htm
[I don't have a picture of a jvc one to hand]

is the idler part of that assembly ?
In my ample not really knowing I thought it was underneath the big cogged wheel that engages with either of the two big black plastic drive shafts that wind the cassette forward or back, can't see to get at it from underneath as a circuit board blocks the entire underside.
Maybe I'll just take it in for repair if its
not too costly a job. lol

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 235
David:
Oooops! I stand corrected--guess I'm showing my age here. I've had three idler "tires" replaced in the past, so I'm kind of fixated on them. And yes they were mid-eighties Hi-Fi decks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
The big wheel is the idler, they use gears instead of rubber, have since 86-89 or so depending on manufacterer.

Will Marshall
Unregistered guest
No worries John thanks for helping out.

I tried the ribbon cables David still no joy
and the teeth on the idler look o'k.
I managed to locate a local repairer who will check it over for free, so hopefully it may be cost effective to repair.

Thanks for the assistance.

Toronto, Ontario

Post Number: 4
Will:
Please let me know if your JVC-HR-7300U get repaired and what was done to make it work again for forward wind and rewind. THis will help is trouble shooting my problem which is exactly what you have.
Thanks in Advance
Razak

Silver Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 237
Will:
You are lucky to have a technician look at your deck for free. I don't know how much money you have in this VCR, so you have to make the decision whether it's cost effective to repair this VCR.

I can only say it is too bad S-VHS recorders didn't sell better, but then its only advantage was greater recording quality, as there was no advantage in playing pre-recorded movies. (I wonder how many people on this forum realise that the S-Video cable was a by-product of the S-VHS format.) But then, as I've said on this forum before, judging from the great number of blinking clocks on VCRs I've seen in peoples homes, recording is (or was), for the most part, not the real reason for the VCR being there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us