Buying a new DVD player...DVI vs Component

Mike I
Hi --

I have a Sony 42" Plasma WEGA KE-42TS2 TV and want to upgrade my DVD player (Pioneer DV-343).

I have been looking at DVD player reviews and there are a couple that use the DVI connection, and say that the picture is amazing.

The one problem is that I have a HD Receiver(Samsung SIR-TS160)that is currently using the DVI connection.

If I get a DVD player that uses the DVI should I make the HD Receiver use the component connection? Or should I get a good progressive scan DVD that uses component connection and keep the HD Receiver using the DVI connection?

Any suggestion on a DVD player would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Derek
I vote for the Component DVD player (unless you buy a DVI switch). Though HDTV typically has slightly more noise than DVD, HDTV has more than twice the resolution. DVIs digital can convey that detail better.

Yoree
Thanks for bringing an interesting subject. Couple questions to you:

What DVD players did you evaluate with DVI output?

How much DVI switch costs?

Thanks

Mike Porter
Here's the way to go for DVI Switching:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1819

I have the Samsung HD931 DVD player. I wish there was a higher end DVD player with DVI output. DVI keeps it in the digital domain all the way through to my DLP projector. The Samsung just isn't that great of a DVD Player and the Denon 5900 with DVI is $2k. Way too much.

Username: Nghump

Post Number: 3
Bravo D1 is another choice.

dubz
Unregistered guest
can't tell you which dvd player to go with, but i can tell you this

if your HD box is hooked up through DVI, and you switch to component, it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference, instruments can't even tell the difference, so how could a human eye? i know of all the "DVI is digital strait through, component uses D-A then A-D convertors, compressing and hurting picture quality blah blah blah" and it would make since, but it just isn't true. DVI was made because it is very easy to encorporate copyright protection, they (disney being the biggest offender) don't want you to be able to record HDTV, hell they even tried to outlaw recording off the radio at one time!.

never seen the samsung 931 in action, ive heard its a sweet unit, but i also know it doesn't play well with select tv's, 1 being the sony grand wega LCD projo/XBR lcd projo. should be fine for there plasma though

keep your recipt just in case

dubz
Unregistered guest
wait for blu-ray. it will be available in 6-12 months and will display 1080p lines of resolution. current dvd players only go to 480p lines of resolution.

dubz
Unregistered guest
stealin my name???

Username: Dubz

Post Number: 1
haha now its mine for good (the original dubz)

:D just messing with ya

sam
Unregistered guest
I have to disagree with dubz on the DVI HDTV issue. It made a big difference for me switching to DVI cable from component on my Time Warner Pioneer box. Obviously more so on 1080i HDTV stations. I am using a Sanyo PLV-Z2 projector. I am planning to get the Samsung HD931 and will buy a DVI switch box from ramelectronics.com. It is a drag to spend as much on the switch box as I do on the DVD player but it is something you keep through other upgrades so you just buy it once.

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic HDTV and am now feeding it Sat TV with the new Dish Network #811 box. I'm not currently recieving High Def. but did just switch from component to DVI connection. The difference is unbelievable. Anyone who says different doesn't know what they're talking about. I'm now searching for a DVD player with DVI!!! TV is starting to get fun again!!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Spshond

Post Number: 19
I have a Hitachi HD ready 57" projection television. Comcast has just offered the HDTV cable box in my area & it looks great on my TV. I have a Progressive scan Samsung DVD player for now. Picture looks great. I'am in the market to purchase another DVD player, a better one, if there is such a thing right now. I'am a 90% DVD movie watcher. what can you guys suggest in regards to DVD players. Should I go out there & get the Samsung DVI player? I have heard mix reviews on that thing. Should I be waiting for something better? Thank you much

Gino Massafra
Unregistered guest
I'm dazed and confused. There seem to be so many options for hooking up my system, Ive got to ask for some help. So - - here it goes. I've got a Samsung HLN567W tv, a Yamaha RX-V2400 Receiver, a Panasonic DVD player/recorder with 80 gig hard drive, and a Comcast HD cable box. I'm thinking I run from the cable box to the receiver, but past that I just don't know. One thing is, I don't want to have to keep the dvd on in order to watch tv. Can someone out there give me a clear breakdown on which types of cables to run where? Best response is invited over beer and viewing of the sporting event of your choice!

Bronze Member
Username: Spshond

Post Number: 29
Heres my lay out:
Cable first:
Wall into surge prottector ( mine goes to a power conditioner ) outto Splitter for picture & picture. From splitter to TV & from Splitter to Cablebox.
Video: Component cables from TV to cable box
Component cables from TV to DVD.
Sound: Optical cable from receiver to DVD
Optical cable from Cable box to receiver ( if no optical hook up on your cable box than go with higher end RCA cables ).
Speakers you know how to do I imagine:
Get a Home thater MX500 remote, it is awesome..

Timothy Point
Unregistered guest
DVI sounds sweet and I'm thinking of getting the Samsung HD931 or perhaps the Bravo player to use with my Sanyo Z2. The thing is that the Z2 is positioned so that I would have to use a very long (10 meters or so) DVI cable. Is there such a thing? And if there is what impact will the lenght of the cable have on image quality? Anyone?

imjackbaker
Unregistered guest
It's ramelectronics.net not .com by the way.

Anonymous

To Gino: I'm building a 7.1 system myself right now, and have the same Samsung DLP. I'm also looking at the Yamaha RX-V2400. What speakers are you driving with the Yammy? I'm looking at Boston Acoustics VR-M80's up front and VRi's for rear and surround. My concern is that the VRM's are rated at 50-250Watts, and that the Yammy may be a little under-powered. Thanks.

Johnny Cheung
Unregistered guest
I had a 30" NEC LCD3000 and a Samsung DVD-HD931. When I connected the DVI from HD931 to the LCD3000, it wouldn't work because LCD3000 does not support HDCP (High-bandwith Digital Content Protect). Does anyone know of a DVD player with DVI output that is not encoded with HDCP in the market place? or is there a way to disable the HDCP in the DVI output of DVD player?

Username: Sam22

Gates Mills, Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
I bought HD931 and Infocus 7200 and used a DVI cable with MD1A connection from Infocus, I am unable to get it to work. However, when I use the component video connecton cables the picture is beautiful. Can someone advise.

Unregistered guest
I have HD931 and Infocus LS110 and also have problems using DVI. Analog works fine. There seem to be some compatibility problem due to the protection on DVI Signal.

Anonymous

when I tried the SAM HD931 DVI w/ monster DVI cable on my 70 XBR950, the picture was very dark and I have to adjust the brightness almost all the way up. on component, it was very good but I choose my DEN 2200

Sid
Unregistered guest
The Bravo D1 does not incorporate the HDCP and you can view on ANY monitor with dvi input. I bought the Samsung HD931 to use on a Samsung monitor with dvi and it didn't work! I found the Bravo D1 at www.vinc.com which cost less than the samsung dvd player and it works with all monitors because it doesn't require the hdcp. The only draw back is that you would have to wait about 3 weeks before they can ship it out. Back ordered!

Miah
Unregistered guest
The Infocus projecotr issues you are both having is likely due to them not supporting HDCP at all. Ask InFocus, they will tell you. I just got the LP540 and am loving it, except only having one input (M1) to feed into. I have games on componant only, and TV from DVi, I need a way to give either to the box. Is there a componant AND DVi switchbox?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us