Loud pop while watching plasma, now blank screen

Username: Mbf

Post Number: 1
Hoping someone can help me out with this one. I have an older model pioneer pdp-433pu that has worked without issue until yesterday. While watching tv there was a loud pop (startled the dog) and then the screen went black. The standby light goes from off to blinking 5 times and repeats. I turned everything off and unplugged, and now when I try to turn it on the standby goes green then black then blinks red 5 times. The screen turns on but there is no picture. I called a repair service and was told it would be 100 just to look at it and that the repair would be pricey. I'm pretty good with fixing things but don't know where to start. I'd rather fix it myself then trash it for a new one. Any advice? Thanks,

Mike

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3223
A loud POP?
That's the end of either a capacitor or some high-voltage piece. You could probably find the malfunction by smell or visually. But NO guarantee that other parts wern't taken 'out' by the resulting zap.
I'd start looking in the power supply. Some parts maybe difficult to source or outright proprietary.
AND:
UNLESS you are familiar working around high voltages and have some of the specialty gear needed to service electronics, like a solder sucker, a GOOD temp control iron, a meter, maybe some solder wick and a decent selection of GOOD hand tools, you should probably leave it up to the pro.
Ask him. The 100$ diagnosis fee should be (usually IS) waived if you have it fixed by him.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us