Sony hrd55 projector set color problems

Username: Ghenry

Post Number: 1
i purchased a 55" lcd projector tv in nov. 2006. recently I am experiencing a green tinge in the picture. People have told me it is the optical block. they said Sony has a program for compensation toward a new flatpanel. is this true and is my set elgible?

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2938
Many other posts on this subject.....here and other forums.

Sony will 'help'. if you count selling you another TV as help. They lost several class action lawsuits. You would have had to opt out......to preserve your rights.
However, If you are curious, check with a lawyer. You could, depending on jurisdiction, take 'em to small claims court and hope for a full recovery. That would be the chance you'd take.....maybe the judge would figure that since most electronics these days is junk, that 6 years was about right.....

The color filters are the weak point in the light engine. They will ALL fade / craze with time. I'm amazed your set has lasted this long. It may be the last one working. IMO, Sony knowingly sold defective stuff for years. They are major patent holders on light engine design, some of which dealt with just the problem you (and me, for that matter) are having.

Call Sony and test the waters.
They will ask you to sent pictures of the defect, and the SR# sticker from the back of the set. They will have an offer on the table for a new set, probably from stuff that hasn't been selling well.

I took the deal and sold the set NEW in box the day after I got it...and took the profit and went and bought a Panasonic Plasma, which I recommend YOU do too.

To FIX your set? You can buy a light engine from Discount Merchat (no affiliation or recommendation) for about 300$ and either install or PAY someone to do so. Than you'll have the problem again in another 5 or 6 years. For the same reason.
I don't believe the rebuilders use Heat Proof glass in the rebuilds...which is what Sony should have used in the first place.

Your 'dead' light engine is worth about 50->75$ to a rebuilder. You can search around for them.
The set as it is? Not even a good boat anchor.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us