What is the difference between LED and LCD TVs

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina America

Post Number: 14603
"There are several types of picture display mechanisms on the market today including plasma, LCD and LED. Each has a different technology behind delivering the actual picture to the screen. "

Not "technically" true. LCD and LED use identical screen technology. The only difference between LCD and LED televisions is how the LCD panel is backlit. "LCD" uses a flourescent light bar, or bars with diffuser panels. "LED-LCD" screens use one of two common means of backlighting the display. LED either uses edge-lighting, which has a strip of LEDs along the edge of the screen with diffusers, or an array of LEDs spread across the area of the display behind the screen.

Every technology has it's pros and cons, though.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2735
Looking at the number of complaints on each technology, however, I'll give the nod to plasma. Most reliable and might still have best black levels along with 600hz refresh.
When I junked out my Sony SXRD, a rear projector using LCOS technology, I shopped for the set with the fewest / lowest number of complaints. Some of the new LCD / LED backlit models have even been known to catch on fire! The manufacturer denies all charges, but based on fairly recent class action results, I'll be taking my busness elsewhere.
BTW, you can still get DLP projectors and maybe even a few rear projectors....maybe still by Mitsubishi? Sony still makes SXRD and transmissive LCD, as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us