Piracy Bill Halted

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 22539
Wikipedia founder hails halting of U.S. piracy bills

DAVOS, Switzerland – The founder of Wikipedia hailed the online encyclopedia's role in helping halt U.S. legislation aimed at cracking down on Internet piracy, saying the proposed bills needed to be stopped because they were flawed......Read More in USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-26/jimmy-wales-wikipedia-piracy/ 52805782/1

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22701
One more article about how the Anti-Piracy Bill was stopped.

Silver Member
Username: Tommy_h

Post Number: 179
http://video.msnbc.msn.com/up-with-chris-hayes/46004493#46004493

Watch ,listen and learn

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22702
Read, look at the dates and learn to understand news and chronology of events.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

October 26, 2011: The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) is a United States bill introduced by U.S. Representative Lamar S. Smith (R-TX) to expand the ability of U.S. law enforcement to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. on October 26, 2011, by House Judiciary Committee Chair Representative Lamar S. Smith (R-TX) and a bipartisan group of 12 initial co-sponsors
A similar bill in the U.S. Senate is titled the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). The bill was introduced on May 12, 2011.

November 18, 2011: The European Union Parliament adopted by a large majority a resolution that "stresses the need to protect the integrity of the global Internet and freedom of communication by refraining from unilateral measures to revoke IP addresses or domain names".

December 12, 2011 a revised version of the bill was tabled.

January 14, 2012 The Obama administration responded to a petition against the bill, stating that while it would not support legislation with provisions that could lead to Internet censorship, squelching of innovation, or reduced Internet security,

January 15, 2012 The URL posted by tommyhesaw above was a TV news article before the retreat of the proponents of the BILL.

January 18, 2012 The English Wikipedia, Reddit, and an estimated 7,000 other smaller websites coordinated a service blackout, or posted links and images in protest against SOPA and PIPA, in an effort to raise awareness. In excess of 160 million people viewed Wikipedia's banner. A number of other protest actions were organized, including petition drives, with Google stating it collected over 7 million signatures, boycotts of companies that support the legislation, and a rally held in New York City.

January 20, 2012 House Judiciary Committee Chairman Smith postponed plans to draft the bill: "The committee remains committed to finding a solution to the problem of online piracy that protects American intellectual property and innovation ... The House Judiciary Committee will postpone consideration of the legislation until there is wider agreement on a solution."

I started this thread AFTER the decision to postpone the act was already made
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-26/jimmy-wales-wikipedia-piracy/ 52805782/1
I further confirmed it with a Reuter article as follows:-
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/us-usa-congress-internet-idUSTRE80J10X 20120120

tommyhesaw:What is your point in bringing in the debates that occurred before the BILL WAS KILLED BY OVERWHELMING PUBLIC OUTCRY AGAINST IT?
The Bill is dead and the public has won

Silver Member
Username: Chaff

Post Number: 979
Nydas: Whats the point in bring up bringing up your month old c/p / link with yet another : are you looking for controversy , if you have something to say , say it with out the useless c/p

...and f.uck wiki and google , them f.ucks don't want to be held accountable ..... that sopa schit they are against has nothing to do with individuals in regards to piracy, only protecting their stupid azzez.

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
There's no need to lecture me or display your hostility towards me and give attitude Nydas.

It's obvious you're lacking basic comprehension and communication skills. But if you must voice your opposed opinions, please do so in a civil manner when address me. Thank you.

I've put up with your childish behaviors long enough. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR!

BTW, the "Bill" (SOPA) wasn't killed as you've perceived it to be.

It's being revised, and definitely not dead yet.

Unless you're residing over seas ( Europe), you still can, under federal law as they stand to date in the USA or Canada , be convicted for crimes of DTP( digital TV Piracy) MEDIA PIRACY and others forms of PIRACY if caught.

THE "WIKI site" Nydas is talking about is a site from Switzerland. Their laws do not apply here. The BILL is to try and prevent that from happening any longer. There are loop holes in the bill right now and do not benefit our own laws from enforcing criminal acts of Piracy across the borders.

That's why many privet servers for IKS are located overseas (Japan). Media sharing sites like Megauploads can relocate their site overseas (Switzerland) and reopen their doors just likeThe Piratebay site has done.

Silver Member

Post Number: 183
It's the same as I( for instants) cannot press charges against a civilian residing within the borders of the United States, being a Canadian resident or vice versa.
I also cannot have charges laid against a USA site ( like this one)

FYI.... Nyads and subash ,
,Assuming you both reside in Canada ,myself also being a Canadian citizen residing within the borders of Canadian soil, can proceed in alerting the RCMP officers therein having you both brought up on charges for digital TV piracy if I so desired.

Lesson for the day.. LEARN THE RULES BEFORE YOU PLAY THE GAME!

IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 22705
Congress puts brakes on anti-piracy bills

By Jasmin Melvin

WASHINGTON | Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31pm EST

(Reuters) - Lawmakers stopped anti-piracy legislation in its tracks on Friday,
delivering a stunning win for Internet companies that staged an unprecedented online protest this week to kill the previously fast-moving bills.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us