Opinions of Samsung HLP-5685w?

Username: Kal853

Post Number: 1
Hi, I'm trying to get opinions of the new HLP-5685w HD2+ unit. From what I've read of it's specs, it has the most advanced picture of all the new Samsung DLP's coming out this year, excluding a possible xHD3 model. Would you guys agree with this, and more importantly, have any of you actualy had a chance to see one in action? Please, I'm dying to know how it performs. I'm planning to buy either the 5685 or the new 60" lcd rear-projection Sony KDF-60xs955 coming out in September. I would love to hear any comments which one you think might be a better choice. Thanks in advance. Love the site:-)

Unregistered guest
In last Sunday's newspaper (Houston Chronicle), dated August 8, I saw the HLP-5685W DLP TV advertised in a flyer from Best Buy. I have not seen it in person, but you should be able to run down to Best Buy (or maybe Circuit City) to see it yourself. I understand the HD2+ chip has nearly twice the contrast ratio (2500:1) over the DLPs using the newer HD3 chip (1500:1). This latest model (and all current Samsung DLPs) should also have the new 7-segment color wheel which will provide better viewing of darker movie scenes. The HLP-5685W model you refer to is the "pedestal" model and has the speakers on the right and left of the screen. I'm awaiting Samsung's HLP-5673W "table-top" model, which has the same specs as the HLP-5685W, but without the pedestal (and has the speakers on the bottom instead of the sides). The "73W" series is supposed to be on the market this month (August '04) or by September. Hope this helps.

SuperGoop
Unregistered guest
I could be wrong, but I think the tabletop HD2+ models are HLPxx74W (not 73W).

Just a minor correction. I am also waiting for the tabletop HD2+ version (a.k.a. Tantus model).

Post Number: 8
I agree, I like the 5674W better than the 5685w. But I'm still would really like to hear somebody's opinion on whether I should go with the Sony LCD RP or a HD2+ DLP. Anybody want to give me some ideas or comments?

Bronze Member
Username: Jrest

St. Louis, Missouri USA

Post Number: 61
Hands down, go with DLP.

Darryl
Unregistered guest
I agree with Jaime. I've compared the Sony LCD and Samsung DLP in several stores, with their video settings, and I adjusted each of them myself. Every time I reach the same conclusion that DLP is better, esp. the near blacks.

Silver Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 114
It's hard to compare units whenever one of them is not yet available. IMO, each technology has its merits. If you don't mind waiting for the latest/greatest, check out the upcoming Upload

Anonymous

Any suggestion on best deal for HLP5085W?

Post Number: 10
I just posted on the Toshiba thread but I'll put a post here to since I started this thread. I just saw the 5085 last night. Like I said in the other post, during the underwater HD sceen it was the best picture quality I've seen anywhere including plasma. The colors were even better than the toshiba hd2+ dlp right next to it. But honestly the pedestal took too much attention away from the screen. It was really distracting. So I think if I go with a Samsung DLP I'm going to go with the HLP5674. Hope this helps in peoples buying descisions, I know it did for me :-)

abcdefg
Unregistered guest
stay away from the 5085 picture in not good quality

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 37
abcdefg u retarded alaphabet freak crawl back in your mud hole if you have nothing worth while to post!

Username: Richadrey

Houston, Tx US

I have the 5685, and once it is installed you do not notice the pedistal other than how it looks in your room. Also sammy is making shelves to fit the bottom for equipment

jag
Unregistered guest
i love mine 5085

Username: Salrmrcrey

CA USA

Post Number: 4
if you have to move the kirk around the room or to another room, where would you move it by, the base, pedistal, or from the screen itself? In other words, where would you lift it up?

Bronze Member
Username: Tmskilz

Post Number: 44
Salr, I would assume that they are placing the TV on a rug & sliding it around, as oppose to lifting it.

Username: Richadrey

Houston, Tx US

Post Number: 3
Lifting it by the back and corners of the screen works well. The unit is lighter than you may think. The cumbersome part is getting it upstairs since the box is really big.

Silver Member
Username: Heff

Post Number: 119
I have a HL-P5685W and it looks great even when it's turned off! It craves an HD signal and it is gonna be the focal point of your HT system.

Moving one around? It's approx 242 lbs. on a wooden pallet, 185.2 lbs. in the box and just 134.5 lbs. out of the box. IMO, with two people, you can lift it by the bottom of the screen on each side. Don't step on the glass pedestal!

Username: Tomijock

hey i debated for weeks on what to buy and finally went on the 5685W. This set is awesome especially with HD channels. Plus i thought the pedestal make distract from the tv but looks sharp. samsung is making a stand for the other toys u may have with the tr85. Am definitely a comparison shopper and not an impulse shopper but you will love this set.

Username: Rickg

Post Number: 2
I have the 5065W but it is going back. The sound sync problem is driving me nuts. Have they fixed it on the 5685W?

Username: Chopper414

New York, New York

Post Number: 7
I have the 5685 and I've also noticed the sound/voice sync problem, but it only happens on one channel, and not all the time. All the other channels work fine. I believe it might be your satelite/cable service.

Username: Lbottles

Does anyone know if Samsung will be doing a 46 inch HD2+ chip soon. The HD3 chip is out with the 63 series, but, if HD2+ is better and will be out soon, please let me know.

Hicks
Unregistered guest
Yes, the new Samsung Tantus? will come out in two models. The 46" and 56" version around mid October. They will have the HD2+ technology and will be "table top" versions.
Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I am just about to enter the big screen tv adventure for the first time.
I like the Samsung latest generation chip 50" models. I will mostly watch dvds, some network tv and NFL football. I only have for now (cable may be on the way) an outdoor antenna mounted in the attic with fair to good reception.
My question(s).
What do I need to see the best picture for dvd's and hdtv?
I also want to get the whole package as far as surround sound, better dvd player, good cables & etc.
Any place better/cheaper for getting a package deal?
Do I need the extended warranty?
Thanks much

Jeff D
Unregistered guest
I work at an AV design and Integration Company and I would go with the Sony LCD RPTV... We've done extensive testing with both the latest Samsung DLP's (HL-P5685W) and the latest Sony LCD's (KDF-60xs955) and without question, once both have been calibrated, the Sony win's on all accounts. It also has MUCH more advanced picture adjustment abilities (usually only found in the service menu).

The Sony had much better blacks, better contrast, and did MUCH better producing clean gradient levels, such as scenes with smoke and ski.

View angle is about the same between the two.

While the older grand Wega's had contrast issues, the newer models do NOT.

Go with a new Sony GW.

BTW: the new Denon DVD-1910 DVD player ($249) looks AWESOME on both sets, via DVI port.

Bronze Member
Username: Chopper414

New York, New York

Post Number: 16
Hmmmm, sound like a Sony salesman. DLP is the way to go. As far as pq is concerned, the Kirk will give you one of the best pq to date. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. For those who've ordered or are considering buying a Sammy 5085 or 5685, you won't be disappointed. I'm very happy with mine. I almost bought the Sony, but I thought the pq looked sharper, and more vibrant on the 5685. Lets face it, we all grew up thinking that Sony made the best televisions around. I would have believe that statement 5 years ago, but with companies like Samsung, Mits, and JVC releasing their new HDTV lines, I say we have choices, enjoy.

Unregistered guest
The cheapest place I was able to find the Samsung DLPs was digital1234.com. I recently bought the HLP5085 (and love it!) from them for $2828.88 But Amazon has the pedestal shelves cheaper and includes the shipping.

Username: Tcempire

I have a HL-P5663W which I paid for on the condition the store would give me the upgraded HL-P5674W when it was out and I would pay the difference if ANY. I am for the most part satisified with the TV, but the pixelation on non-HD Channels provided by Time Warner Cable in Houston is pathetic. Anyone has experiences with VOOM or Other Satellite providers with this TV?

Does anyone know if they Sell the HL-P5685W without the Pedestial if so what is the model#? Samsungs website claims the HL-P5685W to have the HD4 Chip(better? than HD2+?) and higher Contrast Ration than the HL-P5674W ? http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HL P5685WX%252fXAA

Any help would be appreciated as it is time for me to upgrade.

PS> Since it's my first newbie post, apologies if there are too many questions on this thread.

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Triedit

Nashville, TN USA

Post Number: 15
TC,
The 5685 uses the HD2+ chip. HD4 is referring to the light engine.
It is my understanding that the 74 series will have the HD2+ chip but not the newer light engine.

sndmastr
Unregistered guest
Truth of the matter if your a sports buff then DLP is the way to go. LCD's have a very slow refresh rate in comparison to DLP's & Plazma's.
Watch a car race on on LCD and you can actually see tails on the screen because of the low refresh rate. Tech Tv's Leo Leporte was the person who mentioned this issue. He also quoted it will get better in the future.

Haas
Unregistered guest
you guys are crazy. Sony? Samsung? Hitachi? Have you not gone to check out the new mitsibushis. Far and away these are the only tvs to buy. Reccomend the WD-52825 diamond series. I just bought two.

Strati
Unregistered guest
CNET just reviewed the HLP5085 - 8.3/10 !

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL_P5085W/4505-6484_7-30898679-2.html?tag=top

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us