Direct tv card activation by some stange means

Unregistered guest
somehow one of my friends recieves 2 new cars that havent been touched through some outfit in ontario.They are p5's... but somehow he payes a monthly bill of 50 or so dollars canadian.they activate it to what package he subscribes to. you can also order ppv, but they say they come at charge. but i dont see how they can track what ppv you buy because theres no data line or phone line hooked up. what the hell is going on..ive never heard of direct tv having dealers in canada. can someone fill me in? cause he wants to order ppv's but dosent wanna get charged, i say he cant..i dunno

Username: Martin

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
sounds like there actavating the cards through a US address

Bronze Member
Username: Jmill1948

Chester, Va Usa

Post Number: 83
be careful dtv is not in canada.......

ozskunk
Unregistered guest
he has reciepts for everything, bill invoices, customer agreements...the whole works. hes paying the exact prices as are in the diretv monthly program guide, 50 somthin for the premium package. anyone know how they could control pay per views?

Username: Martin

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
its imposable to get dtv in canada .he has to be actavating it with an american address

Bronze Member
Username: Jmill1948

Chester, Va Usa

Post Number: 84
this is a copy paste from another site but you must have a subscription to make it work good luck...ppv can be had or so im told but you have to have a Description
I am a former employee of Directv, which outsources a portion of it's customer service and technical support department to a company called Convergys, based in Norman, Oklahoma. You are bidding to receive from me unlimited pay per view movies, events, and adult programming.

Yes it sounds too good to be true, but I assure you it is NOT. My offer is perfectly legitimate, I've already received feedback from a few satisfied customers, and it's 100% positive. There is no scam involved, you won't have to buy any equipment, what you pay for this auction is the LAST that you will have to pay to receive what I'm offering you. All you need to qualify for this auction is a satellite system and service with any major satellite company. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to have the equipment and service now, you can pay now, receive the necessary details, and begin receiving the pay per view events and movies as soon as you do get a satellite system and service. Or, purchase this for someone else, it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what type of equipment you have, it doesn't matter what country you're from, if you have satellite television YOU QUALIFY TO BID.

Please note that this auction is not to receive any physical item, it is for unlimited pay per view movies and events, transferred to you from me. Your satisfaction is my number one goal, therefore if you're still unsatisfied after having worked with me one on one to insure that you have had a satisfactory transaction, I will give you an immediate refund. Trust me, I'm very new on Ebay and very excited about the possibilities which Ebay offers, I don't need any negative feedbacks to stigmatize me. At this point my number one goal is to offer as much as possible for as little as possible, which is why I'm selling thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of pay per view for $10.95. You'll recover that in your first 3 or 4 movies, you'll have saved around $20.00 with just the first event you receive.

In other words, YOU WILL BE SATISFIED.
If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I answer all inquiries very quickly, and I leave feedback within hours of receiving payment.

Thank you for reading, and good luck!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now , if you would buy it from him, this is what he sends to you. You be the judge as to if it is worth the money or not. We enjoyed the read, but we enjoy blasting it out for free to all our thousands of members here!

---------------------------------------------HERE IS THE PACKAGE TEXT

The following is an article written by an anonymous author, who has transferred distribution and all other rights to Qardinal. It's intent is only for informational, educational, and entertainment purposes; the author, distributor, or possessor of this document in no way endorses or advocates the execution of the methods contained herein. It is only a scam if you purposely set out to defraud Directv. These methods are not in any way ones which enable any person to defraud Directv or any other satellite service.

The Major Flaws Contained in Satellite Company's Protection of Pay Programming, Specifically Directv

March 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, Ok

Directv is a well known provider of satellite television, who's equipment and web software contains just a few flaws, but ones substantial enough to compromise the entire structure of Directv's pay-per-view and adult programmming system.

I spoke to a man recently who in the interests of anonymity prefers to be called 27. At the completion of our conversation he handed me a note, which contained the following text:

"My method for receiving pay-per-view for free, part one:"

"All Directv boxes use a card in the back of the system, and this is the vital component for receiving programming. When a program is ordered, a signal is sent to the box, and the box then records this signal to the card. If, for example, you want to watch "In the Bedroom" starring Sissy Spacek, then you can either order this by using the internet, calling Directv, or ordering with your remote. Using the first two methods, a signal will be sent from a satellite in outerspace to your satellite on your house, and the signal will be passed through the cable to your settop box or boxes, and the box then records the information received to the access card. Using the latter method, ordering by remote, no signal is sent from an orbiting satellite; rather, the remote authorizes the settop box to write the information to the card. Directv would like their customers to have your settop box connected to a telephone line so that the box can send the information about purchases to Directv and they can charge them accordingly."

"Therefore, step one is to disconnect the box from the phone line. Directv would like for their customers to believe that having it connected to the phoneline benefits them, however all it does is tattle."

"Now that we've established how the system works, let's examine the flaws."

"The first major flaw is in the card. The most effective way to exploit this is through the internet, by going to directv.com and setting up an account, which enables customers to pay their bill, change their programming package, and order pay per view movies and events. However, it can also be exploited by calling in the pay-per-view order, although this generally carries a fee. This fee will be waived if it is indicated that there was some sort of technical difficulty in ordering the movie or event. I don't believe that it can be exploited through the method of using the remote because of the box's delayed reaction in sending the pay per view information to Directv."

"I will tell about how the flaw can be exploited by using the internet since this way is the easiest and the quickest. The first method I'll tell of is only for ordering pay-per-view purchases a day or more in advance if the purchase is an all day ticket program. If it only plays once that day, then this method will work if the movie or event is ordered before it begans."

"First, a customer orders the movie or event by going to the program guide. The process is followed until it indicates that the purchase has been completed. At this point, the customer goes to his or her set top box, and removes the access card from the back where the program has been recorded by a signal from the outerspace satellite(this is done instantaneously upon your purchase). They then go back to the computer, click on the link which says "current pay per view purchases", and they cancel the program which removes the charge instantly from their account. A signal is once again sent from outerspace, except this time it's to erase the program from the card. What happens when the box tries to erase it from the card? It can't, because the card isn't in there. So the customer, after having completed this step, then goes back to the receiver and replaces the card. The next day, the customer watches the prgram they've selected, and all Directv knows is that the program was ordered and then canceled."

"Things which could go wrong:"

"Directv consistently sends out a signal to your receiver at random times, usually about once every 30 hours or so, but sometimes, although it's infrequent, the signal can get sent up to twice in one day. What does this signal do? It simply resets your card with the information Directv has on file about the account, which means that all unauthorized programs will be erased and only authorized programs kept."

"Here is one VERY IMPORTANT point: NO INFORMATION CAN BE SENT BACK FROM THE SATELLITE SYSTEM TO THEM. It takes a special satellite system for this to be possible, such as a Directway satellite internet system, otherwise the satellite is only capable of receiving signals. It cannot send them, it cannot tell them anything about what is watched, which is why Directv requests that the box be connected to a phone line, so the box can send information about you. This is in contrast to cable television services, which is capable of both sending and receiving signals."

"Also: It is not illegal for a customer to order and cancel movies as they please. I've tested this method for over three years and have continued my existence as a standard, valued Directv employee. This may be viewed as strange behavior, to consistently order and cancel so many programs, but it's not illegal or against the terms of conditions to be a strange person. So what, the customer likes to order and cancel programs, maybe they have a mental disorder which compels them to do this. Who knows? Nobody."

"Now, there is also one more major flaw in the system, only this one allows you to cancel all day ticket programs the same day in which they're ordered, whereas it ordinarily requires action by a Directv agent in order to do this."

"The customer must have internet access for this exploit also, and an online Directv account. This one is a bit more complicated then the last one."

"Step #1: The all day ticket movie or event is ordered, either online or on the phone(online is much easier)."

"Step #2: A second movie is ordered, except this movie must NOT be an all day ticket program. It can be one that starts the next day, or that starts in an hour. If it's one that has already began, then this exploit cannot be taken advantage of."

"Step #3: The user then removes their access card from the back of their settop box."

"Step #4: The user returns to the computer, making sure they're still on the current pay-per-view page, and begins the process to cancel the 2nd movie ordered. However, the customer doesn't cancel it, because they just need the webpage which has the cancellation option on it(the webpage should say something like "You can only cancel an all day movie ticket program if it has not yet begun, are you sure you want to cancel this program?")."

"Step#5: The customer clicks on new window in his or her browser, so that he has two webpages now in front of him, both asking if he wants to cancel."

"Step #6: The customer then clicks the back button on one of those cancellation pages, so that he's back at the current pay per view page."

"Step #7: The customer clicks on the first movie he ordered, the all day ticket movie that he could not previously cancel."

"Step #8: The page that comes up will tell him that he can't cancel the movie . . . oooh, denied, right? Wrong. He goes back to the other cancellation page that he had up, and pushes the confirm cancellation button. The all day ticket is then canceled, because Directv's webserver has become confused, since the last movie that the customer tried to cancel was the one he couldn't, but yet the server is still being told it has to cancel a movie. It cancels the only movie it knows you might want to cancel, the all day ticket movie."

"Step #9: The customer returns to the second movie he ordered, and cancels that without a problem, since it had not already began."

"Bear in mind the overall function of this method, and it becomes much less complicated: to receive an equal amount of cancellation pages as movies or events you wish to cancel. This is obtained by ordering a movie which has a cancellation page, and pushing 'new window' as many times as it takes to obtain the number of cancellation pages needed."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27 handed the previous note to me with a wink and smile. Through the course of our conversation I found out that he had tried calling Directv, tried giving them the information he'd discovered so they could fix it. He was simply given their fraud number so that he could report people he knew who were utilizing these flaws. It appears obvious that Directv is not interested in fixing this, and why should they be? If you're a paying customer, you're already giving them around 50 bucks or more a month for a signal that's broadcast to everyone anyways; only certain people are allowed to receive the signals.

I have written this only to illustrate the lax measures which is employed by Directv in using this access card based technology.

ozskunk
Unregistered guest
whatever all that is i dunno, ill read it later..but the only thing that gets me is how is this company going to controll my ppv's. if i can order everything just buy "buying it" there must be some sort of a limit on the card, because i have no phone line hooked up. unless the sattelite can read info off my card.

ozskunk
Unregistered guest
whatever all that is i dunno, ill read it later..but the only thing that gets me is how is this company going to controll my ppv's. if i can order everything just buy "buying it" there must be some sort of a limit on the card, because i have no phone line hooked up. unless the sattelite can read info off my card.

HelpMe
Unregistered guest
My son has 3 recievers and 3 cards(p-5), and he said that it may be possible to let me use one setup and pay part of his bill. Is this possible for me to use one of his units, with my dish, as long as I don't buy any pay-per-view? Does anyone know if this can be done without them finding out and getting my son in trouble? Any help will be appreciated>
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us