VHS to DVD

Merlin
Unregistered guest
I've got a Sony RDR-GX3 dvd recorder and am finding it impossible to copy any type of video tape onto DVD-RW. Anybody had similar problems?Am connecting to L2 terminal with scart to 3 phono. Any help would be great.

Username: Gwarner

Post Number: 1
I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and want to backup my VHS onto DVD. Can anyone help

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 76
Connect RCA jacks from the VCR out to the in on the DVD recorder, then set the recorder on whatever input you connected the jacks to.

Username: Thunder2004

OK FOLKS,

I have a SERIOUS issue that i cannot find an answer for ANYWHERE!!!
I have a DVD panasonic, I believe the 85 model. I purchased it in January. THe main purpose was to transfer my thousands of tennis VHS tapes recorded from TV over the years to a DVD-R. I have hooked up the DVD to the VCR-Two different VCR models to be exact and upon trying to dub the quality of sound and video is fine; however, the color is off. Hard to explain but basically the hues of red go purple, brownish. Skint ones change continuously. I have tried different cable and again 2 different VCR's and of course different tapes and nothing works. When viewing the dubbing the DVD has basically copied the VHS with the color issues. When i have the VCR hooked up on its own the color;s are perfect. ANYONE have any ideas advice. I called Panasonic with no luck...PLEASE HELP!!!! thank you

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
Are you using RCA jacks or a coax cable? You should be using RCA jacks. I used a Panasonic recorder for 2 1/2 years and never had any problems copying videotapes, the disc recordings looked better than the tapes did.

Post Number: 2
David,

I believe the VCR can only handle RCA jacks and thats what I have used(i will confirm once im home). Its a very weird thing and can't seem to find an answer or reason why its happening. It's basically only the color everything else dubs fine and even the quality of the actual picture is better on the DVD but the color issue is annoying....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
Have you tried playing the recording on another TV? Maybe it's a TV problem and not the recorder.

Post Number: 3
Well i only have the on TV at this time(will be buying the new Sony 50inch LCD projection when the ne model is released). The recorder works fine on the TV and the VCR(2 that i have tried) also works fine on the TV its just when hooking them up to dub from VHS to DVD is when the color problem occurs. I have tried it several times in the past couple of months using different cables and ways to hook it up with no success.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 89
These are recordings and not prerecorded tapes? How exactly is the VCR hooked to the DVD?

Post Number: 4
These are all prerecorded tennis matches from standard TV cable from throughout the years. Its hooked up this way
1. red white and yellow-RCA cables from line out on the VCR(sony) to In#1 on the DVD.(I have also tried to IN#3).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 91
Have you recorded anything else on the DVD recorder, not from videotape? If possible I'd see if you could play them back on another TV, a friend or electronics store or something. Check the RCA cable, try using another one if you have one or one of the audio cables if not. RCA cables have problems all the time especially if they are cheap ones.

Post Number: 5
David,

So I started going through my many tapes given up on the fact that I cannot find or fix the problem with the color issues and I actually noitced that some of the tapes or things I was dubbing actually did NOT have any color issues. Than on the SAME vhs tape that there was no issues somethign else I had tapes on my newer VCR had the color issues again. I think what is happening is depending on the VCR I had originally taped things on it is now appearing to give a color flucation when dubbing to the DVD. Very strange indeed.....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 94
That's not too surprising, compatibility with different VCRs isn't that good sometimes, especially nowadays where almost all VCRs are pretty much cheap junk.

Unregistered guest
compatability is the answer........the two pieces of hardware "must" use thier own built-in colour scheme to be able to interpret the signals ....clearly the analogue system is not perfectly compaitable with the digital system....you really need a little more sophisticated equipment

Username: Regretwas1st

Georgia USA

Hello,
I am in a bit of a quandry trying to hook up a new Memorex DVD recorder through my Panasonic Home Theater system. The manual says to hook the Memorex recorder directly to the TV, because if you connect it through the VCR, the playback will be distorted because of copy protection. (The home theater system has a DVD / VCR combo).I have 2 sets of input jacks on my TV, which are taken up with the DVD and VCR cables. What I have left on the TV is a set of video and left and right audio monitor out jacks and an S video jack. Do I need to disconnect the VCR jacks to use for the DVD recorder? I managed to hook up the home theater system myself without much trouble, but I've been studying this manual for hours, and the longer I look at the directions for this DVD recorder hook-up, the more confused I become! I do have an old TV with just an RF jack, and I'm about tempted to say to heck with it, and run it through an RF modulator to it! Is there any help for a non-techie like me? Thanks for your time!

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
The easiest thing to do is use a video switcher. You can buy them at Wal Mart or Radio Shack. You just hook the RCA jacks from the output of everything into the switcher then from the switcher to the TV. The switcher will let you select which component you wish to watch. If you only have 3 peices of equipment and 2 inputs then you only need a switcher with 2 inputs and 1 output. Most have 3 or 4 inputs and 1 output, which might come in handy in the future if you get another peice of equipment and need another input. They are called video selectors sometimes too.

Username: Regretwas1st

Georgia USA

Thanks so much! I'm off to WallyWorld now to get a video selector while I still have my sanity! I sure appreciate the help!
Keep well,
B J

Bronze Member
Username: Foudemusique

Montreal, Quebec

Post Number: 14
merlin buy a digital video stablizer

Bronze Member
Username: Andyyanov

Post Number: 22
Hi Merlin!
I have another suggestion if you want to have good and reliable decision you should to check
DVD Red or DVD Red Pro from http://www.dimax.com.ua/English/dvd_recorder.htm Such device can copy VHS to DVD or DVD to VHS or even VHS to VHS and DVD to DVD. I am using it for this purposes about year and it work good. There are no any changes with signal.
So try it.
Andy.

medlar
Unregistered guest
I am trying to find a supplier of dvd red pro or any such converter for tranfering protected VHS to DVD in the united kingdom I would be grateful for any help thx

Unregistered guest
My husband and I just purchased a Panisonic dvd recorder and when we hooked it up on two different tvs and two different vcrs we had no sound, so we took it back and got a panisonic vhs dvd recorder combo. Everything worked fine, but when we were done recording our first dvd the picture quality looks weird. It looks like it was done in a documentary format or something like that, and my husband wanted them to look more like the vhs tapes do. I don't know if there's some formating setting we could change or what. We've tried everything looking for an answer and can't find anything. Or is that the way that the dvds end up recording. The other one had a setting called documentary and when we recorded on that the picture looked exactly the same on the two different dvds, the first just had no sound. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!! :-) Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 431
Explain documentary format.

Raven Griffin
Unregistered guest
Well, the picture looks like it's a movie, but it's live wrestling. The quality is good and clear, but it doesn't look like it should. It's the differance like when you watch a football game on tv and then turn to a movie. We want to know if there's any way to make it look like it's live as it does on VHS. Or if it's going to have to look like it was digitaly doctored. THANKS

Unregistered guest
I tried to copy an NTSC home video onto DVD. The picture on the TV screen was fine but as soon as I turned the DVD recorder, on the picture dissapeared. It was like the DVD recorder couldn't read the NTSC signal.
Any solutions to this problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 520
How is everything hooked up?

Username: Jdelliniii

I am considering a recorder purchase mainly to xfer old tapes to DVD. I understand that one with a hdd would allow me to record first to hdd, edit to remove unwanted material, and burn to DVD with chapter marks(jump to selected scenes i beleive). And if i'm not mistaken, the hdd would also allow me to pause live tv or perform tivo like functions such as select future programs to record from some kind of manufacturer unique interface. I have several questions.
(I am new to forums so patience would be appreciated)
Do all let me append recordings(record on space unused at a later time)?
Is there a grafical representation of the space, used or unused, on a disk? (time remaining)
Do I have to "Finish a burned disk" before I can use it in another player?
Who has the best tivo like interface?
Is my wife going to be able to use it? (After I teach her to use the 10year old VCR)
With quality weighted first, which manufacturer/model should I buy?

Username: Igor

Hi. Just bought a JVC VHS/DVD recorder with the intention of transferring my video tapes to DVD. All is hooked up and working well with one problem. I have a handful of VHS tapes which the DVD will not dub, saying it's copyrighted material. Normally I wouldn't mind just re-purchasing these particular shows or movies on DVD, but unfortunately they are not available in DVD format. I've tried everything to get around whatever is triggering the copyright "signal" - even pulling one video apart and re-spooling it in a generic plastic video case - but the DVD still detects it. Does anyone know of a way around this? I really want to get rid of my VHS tapes for good! Thanks!

Unregistered guest
Hi. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on copying DVD to VHS. I need to make clips for a presentation I am giving. I have the Go-Video VR4940. I, at first, tried to copy DVD straight to VHS in the machine ... the DVD/VCR was connected into my other VCR. It popped up the copy-protection thing for the DVD. Then I rehooked it up and it recorded from the DVD/VCR to the VCR, but it was all messed up. First we had a clear picture and then it did some funky red color thing and the tracking messed up. Is this just an error or is the result of the copy-protection on the DVD? Thank you-Bianca

Unregistered guest
I purchased a DVD Red Pro full package plus extra S-video cable.I have a problem and I hope you can help me figure out why.

I hooked up my VCR (Mitubishi HS-U57) yellow (video out) to Red Pro yellow Video in. Power to Red Pro is on and tested ok (red light blinking slowly). Red Pro Video out is connected to DVD Recorder (Liteon LVW-5005) Video out. Audio out (white and red) of DVD Recorder is hooked up to VCR Audio out (white-left and red-right). TV (Panasonic 20 inch) video in (yellow) is hooked up to video in (yellow) of the DVD Recorder. TV Audio in (left and right) is hooked up to the DVD recorder
audio out (left and right).

The S-video cable (that was extra) doesn't work when hooked up. (I used a video cable I had instead.) I don't know what to do with the other 2 cables that came with the unit. One was marked "L" and the other was marked "R". Are they video or audio cables? *When I copy a VHS tape without macrovision is copies to DVD perfectly.* When I try to copy a "protected" VHS tape, the red light stays lit red (not blinking) and it copies for approximately 2 minutes...then it says on the top right of
the tv screen "protected" and the DVD recorder stops recording. The VHS tape I reied to copy was "Star Wars-The Empire Strikes Back". It is a store bought tape and plays in the VCR beginning to end with no problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your anticipated assistance.

Fern

Username: Sirjohn

NY, NY USA

Ok here Goes. Its kinda really a simple thing and if you want better quality you should get yourself a Sima SCC Color corector, around $100 bucks.

The way my system is connected maybe can help out some of you guys.

Cable in to VCR (video) cable out VCR to Sima box (Or not if you do not have one) cable out ( video) to cable in DVD recorder cable out DVD recorder to Monitor. All Sound to Reciever to the appropriate sections. Make sure all the chanels on the TV, DVD, VCR are on the appropriate chanel for your area. Mine is Chanel 3. Mine works all through the dvd recorder. however with this setup you can run it as individual pieces or as a unit. You can record off the tv to dvd, tv to vcr, vcr to dvd or dvd to vcr. The color correction box works great because you can adjust a variety of flaws typically found in VHS tapes and with this set up you can also clean up the tv signal going into your dvd recorder, not to mention it has the ability to override copy protection. I to was going crazy switching all kinds of wires whenever I wanted to tape anything, now its a breeze. I use monster cables for everything and get great sound and picture. And the great part is that if I wanted to connect yet another dvd player I could l really just follow the line ie dvd recorder out to dvd player in, dvd player out (video) to TV, and once again to connect the audio jacks to your reciever in the appropriate places. Hope this was helpful, It came to me one night and I tore the whole back of my system appart and was not going to rest until I figured it out.

Unregistered guest
i recieved an original golf instruction video which i tried to record onto my panasonic dvd recorder. it stops recording after a few seconds and indicates that the vcr is copy protected. how do i get around this problem as i no longer wish to keep a VCR please help

Username: Johnd

Central village, Ct. USA

Good AM, I would like to copy analog VHS and HI8 tapes to DVD(home movies) for editing. Is there a analog to digital converter that is easy to use with my computer or are the new DVD/VHS combos easier, like 1 touch without losing image and sound quality thru the conversion. I want to buy something simply to use also, but do not know where to start. I once had a $50 Dazzle converter it was a disaster.
I sure would appreciate some guidance. Thank you
JohnD

Username: Mkpals2203

Savannah, TN

how to get through the copywrite on VHS to DVD????

Unregistered guest
Hi! I purchased an RCA DVD R+ (+RW) recorder combo. The main purpose of this purchase was to transfer all my VHS tapes to DVD...and the majority of them say "copyright protected". Is there a way around this? We have also tried recording movies off of the play on demand...majority of those are copyright protected also. Please help!

Silver Member

Post Number: 668
Not with a combo. They are poor quality anyway, buy seperate and use a stabilizer.

Username: Gramps

I don't know if this is the proper forum or not as I don't have a stand alone DVD recorder. But my qustion is the same.
I have a DVD burner on my computer and a hundred or so purchased VHS tapes. Most of which have a copygard I imagine and I would like to transfer them to DVD. It is my understanding that I need an output source (VHS player) a stabilizer (Sima SCC-2) and a video capture card for my computer. Am I on the right track to accomplish what I want to do?

Silver Member

Post Number: 674
With the price of standalones these days you would probably be better off buying one of them. A good capture card will cost as much as a standalone. Standalones have noise reduction circuits that a computer doesn't have. Alot of people have problems trying to transfer on a computer.

larhrs
Unregistered guest
I recently purchase a dazzle digital video creator 90 . I have not use it yet, i have concerns if it will convert copyright movies on vhs to dvd. Do I need a special software to override the copyright code, & if so plz list some brands or web sight to purchase?

Anonymous

i have a vcr player and a friend of mine bought me a dvd player how do i hook them up so ican copy all my vhs tapes to dvd

Unregistered guest
I bought a Symphonic SR90ve to transfer my videos to dvds and they all say i can't copy them because they are copyrighted. How do I get around this?

Username: Cbhayes

Hi! I Have recently purchased a DVD Red Pro & have been succesfully been able to record copy protected movies but i have been experiencing a problem with the colour,it keeps flicking from colour to black & white through out the movie when completed.Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be much appreciated...

Silver Member

Post Number: 805
Unless you've got a bad cable, that's the copyguard. You're not the first person to have problems with the Red Pro.

Unregistered guest
HELP!!! LOL. I just purchased a dvd recorder. Now, heres the problem. Its probably so easy to fix. How do i hook up the dvd recorder to my vcr in order to transfer some homemovies to dvd. Its a Emerson EWR10D4 Recorder with a Emerson vcr. I have it connected with the jacks out through the vcr to the jacks in on the dvd recorder. But I also have a Scientific digital cable box hooked to my vcr. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have done all I can think of and nothing has worked yet. Thanks in advace. Please email me at BrownEyedBoi1969@jam.rr.com will any help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1044
Set the DVD recorder on whatever input the VCR is connected to.

Unregistered guest
Will you expalin David. Im a newbie at all this connection things together. LOL. Heres the deal. The dvd recorder is on L1 but the vcr plays on L2. Now I cant figure out how to change the dvd recorder to L2 so it will record that channel. It just records L1 which is blank. LOL. Im so lost. And now so fustrated with this. LOL. Thanks for the help David.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1046
You can just connect the VCR to line 1 instead of 2, or look for an input button on the remote. If there isn't an input button, then just use the channel buttons till you get to line 2.

Bronze Member
Username: Tlstrieg

Post Number: 28
If I may, I'd like to add a bit of free advice to this thread (and you all know that free advice is worth just about what you pay for it:-)).

For those who are serious about wanting to create a DVD archive of their VHS library, I would recommend getting the best VCR and the best Video Digital Stabilizer you can afford. I tried using a $49.95 VCR and a $20 stabilizer, and the results were disappointing - the recordings were jerky, and the quality generally poor.

So, I upgraded to a good quality Digital Video Stabilizer - the Sima CC2 in my case, although I'm sure there are others equally as good - and that helped, but I was still getting more jerkiness than I wanted.

Finally, I purchased a good quality VCR with TBC, and now I'm getting perfect recordings of all my VHS library.

Neither were cheap by today's standards, but by shopping around and checking eBay, I was able to get both the VCR and the DVS well below the manufacture's suggested price, and even below the advertised street price.

Since I have well over 200 VHS tapes in my library, some of which are no longer in production, I decided the investment was worth the extra cost.

And giving credit where its due, I'd like to thank those of you on this forum who gave me the advice on this issue.

Peace,

Tom

Unregistered guest
I need help ....
I am in Australia (thats not the problem) ..

I have the following equipment
DVD Recorder: LG DR4922W
VHS: Akai VS-J200EA
TV: TOSHIBA 29G5DE

I am want to record my VHS pre-recorded tapes onto DVD.

Having said that - evrything works.

If I play a Pal VHS pre-recorded tape on my VHS - I can successfully watch the picture and record to my DVD ( i use the RF

out from the VHS to the Aerial in on the DVD - the S-Video cable from the DVD to the TV). The playback from the newly recorded DVD is fine.

No problems so far.

However I have quite a few NTSC pre-recorded tapes from the US. When I play them on my VHS - the picture on the TV is

"folded over" at the bottom ( the bottom one fifth of the screen) - and if I record them to my DVD the DVD will record that -

the picture with the fold over the bottom.

Could I say this though: my DVD is NTSC compatible ( at least the playback is) as I play US Region 1 NTSC DVDs all the

time, the VHS likewise is NTSC compatible as I play VHS NTSC tapes all the time, obvioulsy the TV is NTSC compatioble.

So the problem is when I send a NTSC signal from my VHS to my DVD - the DVD doesnt like the signal causing the "fold

over" picture". ( I have tried numerous NTSC tapes - all with the same result).

Could anyone help:

Is this because I am using the S video cable, RF out/in ( should I be using the RCA - although I am sure I tried the RCA with the same problem)
Maybe the DVD machine doesnt like to record in NTSC (just playback)
what about the "DVD RED PRO" - would it help ??

please help
cheers
Frank

SiouxzyQ
Unregistered guest
Do I finally get that there is no way to dupe copyright protected VHS tapes to a DVD recorder. Has anyone had any trouble with their DVD recorder fast forwarding thru commercials with daily use? Hope I didn't buy the darn thing for nothing.

Siouxzy
Unregistered guest
Do I finally get that there is no way to dupe copyright protected VHS tapes to a DVD recorder. Has anyone had any trouble with their DVD recorder fast forwarding thru commercials with daily use?

Anonymous

Try a Sima CT-2....you can get them pretty cheap on Ebay. The DVD RED PRO is also a good choice. I have heard the Sima SCC2 is even better but costs around 140 dollars. Good luck !!!!

Mike Warko
Unregistered guest
Hello. I have two hi-fi vcrs and used to copy/edit off-air movie vhs recordings by: "pausing" the recording vcr and fast-forwarding the playing vcr past the commercial. The result was a seamless, (no commercials and no video glitches) transfer.

I'm planning to buy a dvd recorder in the $200 - $250 range. Does anyone know if dvd recorders can be "paused" and "unpaused" like a vcr, to give the same seamless transfer?

Store clerks don't always have first hand knowledge.

Thanks so much

p.s. Please don't tell me to get a computer to do this.

Mike Warko
Unregistered guest
Hello. I have two hi-fi vcrs and used to copy/edit off-air movie vhs recordings by: "pausing" the recording vcr and fast-forwarding the playing vcr past the commercial. The result was a seamless, (no commercials and no video glitches) transfer.

I'm planning to buy a dvd recorder in the $200 - $250 range. Does anyone know if dvd recorders can be "paused" and "unpaused" like a vcr, to give the same seamless transfer?

Store clerks don't always have first hand knowledge.

Thanks so much

p.s. Please don't tell me to get a computer to do this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1098
Yes

Unregistered guest
I NEED HELP!!!

Okay, here's the thing, I purchased a dvd recorder/vcr combo in order to transfer all my wrestling vhs tapes to dvd. It works, fine except for a few. It seems a small portion of my tapes have been copy protected and won't copy. I was hoping someone could help me find a way around this problem. Is there a solution, or am I pretty much sol?

Username: Talosian

Los Angeles, Calif. USA

I am totally lost. I have an Xpert DVD Maker 2.0 USB. I'm using PowerProducer Gold 2, Sony DW-D22A dual layer burner and Fujifilm DVD+R 8x/4.7GB disks.

I am trying to convert VHS tapes to DVD but I get varying results.

One of my questions is: How much can I burn onto the DVD and still get decent quality. It seems that one-hour of VHS does not equate after conversion to one-hour on the DVD. And even then, once I burned 10 minutes of a VHS and it came out fine. Next time I converted 90 minutes of VHS to digital and gor a message the DVD did not have enough free space. I then redid it at 55 minutes recording time. It played back on the PC but not on the stand alone DVD player (I got a "root directory" on the screen but no video. The video on the computer was very fuzzy.

This is costing seriour bucks on disks.

Any help will be more than appreciated.

Thanks.

Unregistered guest
I have accumulated a large library of commercially recorded VHS movies and would like to transfer them to DVD. Is there any way to do so without the copy protection screwing up the finished product?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1381
Digital video stabilizer, this has been done here over and over.

Anonymous

Th e term "Digital video stabilizer" has been referred to many times when discussing dubbing from vhs to dvd when the vhs is protected by the copyright system. Can you be more definitive about the D.V.S and how it can be incorporated into the dubbing process. Where can these units be looked over for posible purchase?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1431
Do a search on the internet, you'll find plenty of info. They connect with RCA jacks on the video cable between the play and record equipment.

Harry Sr
Unregistered guest
I would like to invest in the proper equipment necessary to professionaly convert vhs to dvd. Could someone either post or email me a list with all requirements. My email address is winacafe@eoni.com.

Unregistered guest
To David Massey or any other expert out there.

I live in the U.S. and have a lot of PAL tapes (100 plus - both copyright and taped off UK and Spanish TV). I want to transfer these tapes to DVD. I don't want to convert the line quality of the PAL down to the American NTSC level. I have a DVD player that seems to play DVDs from most regions without a problem. I don't want to do the conversion via computer. What do I need to do the transfer?

Do I need a standalone VCR that outputs a PAL signal to a standalone DVD recorder/player?
What type or model of DVD recorder/player?
Do I need a digital video stabilizer between the two to improve the quality?
Does that also get rid of copy protection if necessary?

I could use brand name suggestions and any tips that would shed light on my darkness.

Thank you

Gold Member

Post Number: 1608
You'll need a multi-format VCR, which isn't cheap or easy to find in the U.S. If outputting a PAL signal, you need a PAL recorder too. There are only 2 multi-format VCRs still sold here as far as I know, Samsung which is junk and Akai which is expensive.

touristth
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I bought a VHS to DVD converter (Cinevision RV 4000) with the intention of backing up my old VHS movies onto DVDs. But apparently, copyright protection is an issue. Now I'm reading this post which suggests getting a digital video stabilizer. Question for the expert(s), (David Massey or anyone else): if that was my main purpose for getting it, should I return this thing? I already had an old VCR and a DVD recorder on my computer. The old VCR (Magnavox) is over 10 years old and the video quality is not good. But a unit w/VCR and DVD player would have been cheaper.

Also, would you agree that brand of digital video stabilizer matters?

-Tina

Gold Member

Post Number: 1713
Any stabilizer should work for VHS to DVD. DVD to VHS or DVD is where you would need a good quality stabilizer. I'd return the Cinevision. Unless you already have a capture card and software for the PC, you would probably be better off just buying a standalone DVD recorder and another VCR. Standalones have noise reduction that can work quite well for poor quality sources such as VHS. You can but a stabilizer for $20 plus shipping from MCM Electronics. Or if you want a better one, get a Sima for about $70, you might be able to get one for less if you look around. Best Buy and Circuit City both sell Sima.

touristth
Unregistered guest
Hi David,

Thanks so much! You really seem to understand this stuff. A couple more questions for you.

1.) I like the space aspect of having my DVD recorder and VCR in 1 unit. But it sounds like you are saying that if I keep the Cinevision, I'm risking it w/quality. While I'm looking for good quality, it doesn't have to be extremely high end, as I have a pretty basic TV and don't plan to invest in anything much better. But given these concerns of mine, would you still stand by your recommendation? (I just want to make sure all facts are on the table before I return it.)

2.) My computer has a built in DVD recorder. Does that mean that it would have a capture card? What exactly does this capture card do? Is it needed specially for use only with VCRs/VHS formats?

I look forward to your reply!

Thanks so much for your help so far!

You're great!

-Tina

Gold Member

Post Number: 1715
You need some way of getting the video into the PC, the capture card. If your PC has s-video and/or RCA inputs, then it has a capture card. With a combo, you're going to have copyguard problems with almost anything retail. I've never seen a combo that wasn't built as cheaply as possible.

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, Calif. USA

Post Number: 15
Tina;

Respecting quality, to a great degree you are limited by the ability of your TV. If you don't have a HDTV or plasma, you won't see much difference, if any at all, going high-end on your recorder.

I have found that when units are bundled (VHS/DVD/recorder) all-in-one, they don't give you the quality of individual units where you can pick and choose, mix and match.

I have an old (7-10 years) VHS and for my purpose, it works great so long as I occasionally run a head cleaner.

No, having a DVD burner doesn't mean you have a capture card.

After a lot of trial and error (more error than trial) I found my best capture unit to be the Video Advantage from Turtle Beach. I have the USB unit and it came with bundled software (PowerDirector and PowerProducer) which once I got over the learning curve, are really excellent programs.

As for the Macrovision issue, I first tried a SIMA CT-1 - - forget it. I now use the SIMA CT-2 and it works 99% of the time to give me a clean copy.

I also recommend you check eBay as I saved about 40% on the SIMA unit.

One last thing: After several (a couple of dozen) coasters, I found I should burn at 4X and not higher. Higherf burning creates more problems. Also, it helps keep things in sync.

Again, I'm no expert. Hope this helps.

touristth
Unregistered guest
Dear Davids,

Again, excellent answers and very informative. Again however, they lead to more questions.

1. I'm trying to decide between buying a DVD recorder and a capture card. Is there any indication that either of these are more reliable/easy to use, etc? I thought I wanted to get a recorder since I want a player and I figured a product dedicated to just recording would be better than tying up my computer which has a lot of other better things to do. However, given the complaints I've seen on Amazon and other places, I'm beginning to wonder if its a good idea. However, I'm somewhat intimiated by the idea of buying a capture card - it sounds like you've got to be somewhat of a techy to make it work. Your opinion?

Also I saw a lot of video capture cards at rock bottom prices on ebay (less than 20$), yet the cheapest Turtle Beach one your recommended is now $90. Given the extreme price differences, can you talk a little bit more about problems with the others that you had? Just want to be sure its worth spending the extra dough.

Thanks so much....

-Tina

touristth
Unregistered guest
Hi Davids,

I got a little swept up when I thought I saw good deal on Ebay - which became much less of a good deal as I bid away - but I just bought a Samsung DVD R120. Hoping that I made the right choice! Thanks for all your help!
-tina

touristh
Unregistered guest
Dear Davids,

I now have in my hands the Samsung DVD recorder and a CopyThis! Digital Video Enhancer and Duplicator by Sima (CT-1). After rereading a post by David, I am wondering if I should return the CT-1, but at least want to try it first. But thats where I'm stumbling - in the set up process. I have an old Sanyo TV that only has a plug for a RF cable. David Massey recommends a video switcher to someone who's had a similar problem, so I'll have to get one of those. However, my VCR only has an Audio in and out, and Video in and out (but no L vs R). If I connect the audio RCA cables from the VCR to the DVD recorder, does it matter that the VCR only has 1 output, while the DVD recorder has a L and a R?

Also to convert my old VHS tapes to DVD, does the TV need to be involved in this process?

I just want to be sure I can do this before I spend any more money! (ie I have to buy compatible DVDs! - doh!)

Looking forward to your response.

-tina

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, Calif. USA

Post Number: 16
Your TV does not have to be involved unless you want to monitor as you record.

I will be very surprised if your CT-1 helps with the Macrovision issue. I tried many times and then after communications with SIMA went to the CT-200 (I assume the CT-2 will also work as it is the same basic unit) and it works fine.

One thing to know, and it may not be an issue with you, the SIMA units strip out the Closed Caption.

Also, you can input to only one audio but remember one thing; when you output from your DVD player to your TV, make sure you put your RCA cable(s) into the correct corresponding channels. I have a real problem with "no audio" on an otherwise nicely burned disk until I found I had recorded mono on the left channel and was inputting into the right on the TV. So make sure your output from the DVD is from the correct channel. Any problems, switch them around.

Keep us updated.

Good luck.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1737
If you have a mono VCR, the best thing to do is use a y cable for the audio. You need an RF modulator if your TV has no line inputs, not a video switcher.

Username: Towerman

i have bought a bush dvhrs02 and can get most things to work on it but i cant get the dvd record to work , any body go any ideas please
as i dont know if its faulty or just something i am doing wrong

Unregistered guest
I am starting from scratch with about 30 hours of family VHS and VHS-C tapes to transfer to DVD. I have read all of the comments here but still have one question. Is the best approach through the TV or the Computer considering that I have very little to no editing to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. pjmcneal@bellsouth.net

Gold Member

Post Number: 1813
Get a standalone, unless you already have the resources on the PC. They are easier to use, and have noise reduction that works pretty good on poor quality sources.

Unregistered guest
Could you reccommend a standalone unit. I want the best quality possible because of the historic value.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1823
If I was to buy another recorder, I'd probably go with a Toshiba. But I'm limited on account of how many RAM discs I have and how few recorders do RAM. You can get a Pioneer from Walmart, I've seen very few complaints about their recorders.

Vangelis
Unregistered guest
Hello. I own the Sony RDR-GX3 and the last few weeks it's impossible to format DVD-RW discs. When I try to format them to VR mode, the message "Cannot format this disc" is shown and then another which goes "the disc is dirty".
In the past I used to format discs with no problem, yet today while using the same discs (of the same company as before)nothing!!!
This happens only on DVD-RWs, not in any other...
Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any help would be greately appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1843
The same company's discs don't necessarily mean the same manufacterer. Are they version 1.1 discs? You probably can't use 4x discs without a firmware update, if Sony has one.

Tony Tony
Unregistered guest
I have a large collection of commercially produced movie videotapes which I am dubbing to DVD (for personal use only) using my Toshiba VCR and DVD Video Recorder. Approximately one in three attempts fails, however, with onscreen message "Cannot Copy Data." Is there a way to bypass whatever block this is?

Username: Tinacook500

Dear Samijubal, I was wondering if I need to buy a external dvd recorder/writer to use the sima dodvd? Or will I be able to connect it to my computer which already has the dvd reader/writer. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1898
Tony, you need a stabilizer.

Tina, If you want to do DVDs, you don't need anything but free programs. I've never done VHS on a PC, but if you have a capture card, the inputs and software, an internal burner should work.

Unregistered guest
I have been successfully copying my movies to dvd (using a sima ct-2). Now, out of the blue, I'm not getting any sound. Picture is excellent, but no audio at all. anyone have any thoughts that may help?

Bronze Member

Los Angeles, Calif. USA

Post Number: 17
Copygirl708

I had the same issue and finally found the cause (which was my stupidity). I was recording I believe 2 channels of sound but only plugging in one cable so if I didn't plug the cable in properly (or use both L & R cabels, I would not get sound. Check this out and it could be the issue (but maybe not).

Unregistered guest
Both cables are secure and being used. I have noticed that it is only happening with some of my movies. Does that help?

Username: Carlosm

Hi! I want to buy an LG dvd/vhs (DVD player -not recorder- together with a VCR) Is it good quality? I'm only interested in the picture and sound quality when playing my tapes and dvds since I'm not planning to make any recordings.
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1932
No combo is good quality, buy seperate.

Username: Carlosm

Thanks for your answer! In my country (Peru) the top-selling dvd brands are LG, Philips, Samsung, Panasonic and Sony. Which do you think is the best one, in terms of picture and sound quality? As I said, I'm not that keen on recording, editing or so, just playing my dvds.
Thanks again!

Astounded
Unregistered guest
Why are combos no quality?

Clueless in CT
Unregistered guest
I've been reading the forums and trying to get up to speed but I am starting to get confused. Based on what I read here and in some other forums, I purchased a Panasonic DVD recorder and video stabilizer in order to copy some VHS tapes onto DVDs. Now that everything has arrived, I see that I will also need an RF Modulator because my TV does not have AV terminals. Once I get the RF modulator, how can I hook everything up (VCR/DVD recorder/TV) and incorporate the video stabilizer? Is there a diagram someone can link to that would cover my situation? Also, I am headed to Radio Shack to get the RF modulator tomorrow. Any particular model I should look for? Hope someone can help.

Clueless in CT
Unregistered guest
OK, I figured it out. It took me a couple of hours of just experimenting but now that it is set up it works like a charm. I should make a diagram in case I have to disconnect the cables though.

Unregistered guest
Hey Clueless in CT, where's the diagram?

jo222
Unregistered guest
What about the Dazzle Digital Video Creator 80.??? Does this do a good job of converting VHS home video to DVD??? I don't know anything about dvd recorders. The guy at Fry's just recommended this for my purpose of vhs & Hi8 to DVD and editing...

Clueless in CT
Unregistered guest
Diagram at: http://tinypic.com/j7eqex.jpg

Username: Aei6599

Okay i know i am a little slow, but i need to know how to copy from a protected vhs to a dvd. I have a new dvd recorder. Can anyone help me?

Username: Aei6599

Clueless,

Can you explain to me exactly what you had to buy, and where? And explain the diagram.

Thanks

Username: Tomyslady

I have an Emerson EWR20V4 VHS/DVD recorder. I dubbed a VHS to a DVD. I made a mistake in recording somehting I didn't want. Is there a way I can edit the DVD? I'm using Memorex DVD-RW 4.7 GB 120 minute video 1X-2X, discs. If I can how do I do this? Also I purchased, Imation, Video Photos Data, DVD-RW 4x 2hr. discs, are these the same as the Memorex?
Thank you,
Lorraine

Username: Chancho

Dear David,
Might you send a list with the necessary equipment to professionally convert vhs to dvd ?
range of prices between $200-300.

THANKS.

david carter
Unregistered guest
I want to convert vhs to dvd. Radio shack has a deck to do this for$200.00 is this a good deal? Is it the best?
Thanks david@teamcarter.com

Gold Member

Post Number: 2009
Louis, get a Pioneer DVD recorder, you can get them from Wal Mart for $176. If any of the tapes are copy protected, you can get a stabilizer for $20 plus shipping from MCM Electronics. Then you just need a decent VCR, I use Mitsubishi.

Unregistered guest
hi i am having the same problem i have a vcr and dvd recorder but cant get pass the copyright and i have alot of movies any help will be apreciated my address is Guardian_Angel7@bellsouth.net thank you very much

Clueless in CT
Unregistered guest
Allison, you need: vcr, dvd recorder, tv, digital video stabilizer, lots of a/v cables (those are the multi-colored ones), some video cables (the kind you hook up to your cable wall outlet). Also, if your tv does not have a/v jacks, you need an RF Modulator. I got my RF Modulator at Radio Shack.

As for the hook-up, the diagram speaks for itself. I really can't be any more explicit than that. Also, all the info you need is covered right on this web page...that's where I got the information myself. I suggest you print it out and read it. It makes sense. I am no genius so if I can figure it out, anyone can. To defeat the copy protection, you need to hook up the digital video stabilizer between the vcr and the dvd recorder. There are many links on this page for different digital video stabilizers. Here is the one I got:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=MCMProducts&product%5Fid=80%2 D4280

It's easy to hook up and comes with instructions. You only need an RF Modulator if your TV has no a/v jacks. If your tv has the a/v jacks, you don't need it. Here is article about that:

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaserdisc/a/aadvdrfmoda.htm

My tv is super cheap and doesn't have a/v jacks so I got an RF Modulator. I forgot to label it on the diagram. It's the only item not labeled so you can clearly make it out.

Good luck.

Clueless in CT
Unregistered guest
I have updated the diagram with the RF Modulator labeled:

http://tinypic.com/jg7iab.jpg

Bronze Member
Username: Adventus

Post Number: 11
I was told this week that digital material recorded onto DVDs would begin to degrade within five years. Is this correct? I would like to have a relatively permanent medium to transfer my taped material to.

Thx.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2233
Total garbage. I have hundreds of DVDs of different types and brands recorded starting in 2001, they still play flawlessly, some of them after heavy usage. There are a few brands of discs that are well known to become unplayable within a few months, Ritek, BeAll, other than that, they are supposed to have a life expectancy of 50-100 or more years.

Vallelunga
Unregistered guest
Clueless in CT,

Thanks so much for the diagram. Which device is the digital video stabilizer?

It looks like you have now labelled two devices as RF Modulators.

Just wondering.

C. Hay
Unregistered guest
I am exploring the options for converting VHS to DVD in a law office. The vast majority of recordings merely need to be copied without viewing or editing, but there will be times that portions need to be redacted. Is the best option a combo unit (like the JVC DR-MV1S or Panasonic DMR-E75V) or separate VCR and DVD recorder?

Clueless in CT
Unregistered guest
Vallelunga,

Oops. Here it is with all the labels:

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=ncc9w2

Basically, I have the cable connection coming into the vcr (first in the chain) and then use the AV cables to feed it to the DVD and RFT Modulator. Since my cheap tv does not have AV jacks, a basic video cable continues the signal to the TV. This works very well for me. My tv picture has improved from before (when I had no DVD or RFT Modulator). I guess this is because the AV cables send a cleaner signal from device to device but I don't know that for a fact. Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on that.

Username: Jonwolfe

Lake Havasu City, Arizona Usa

I have a GoVideo DDB9550 VHS unit and recently purchased a Sony VRD-MC1 stand-alone dvd burner. I want to copy my VHS tapes to DVD so I can play them on the in-car dvd player. I keep getting the copyright protection message in the Sony unit. Any fix for that? I am using rca cables as interconnect.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2252
Read this thread.

tstrick
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to record several vhs tapes to dvd recorder hard drive and then edit them onto one dvd. Reason i ask is that i have tapes with several unorganized recordings. I want to use everything on those tapes but don't want them on the same dvd. This may be a basic question but for some reason I've tried finding this answer everywhere but haven't had any luck. An example of what i'm trying to do is get my favorite SNL skits organized better. Also what is the best recorder for this type "job."

Username: Holiday422003

I have my antenna coming in split three ways, one to the tv, one to the vhs, and one to the dvd recorder. I then have each unit with yellow video into tv,(vhs=video 1), (dvd recorder=video2), I have video on(vhs) red and white cables into the tv red and white, then tv and dvd audio red and white into a tuner. All are working fine when played, but when I go to record a vhs, I tune to input2 push souce, pick input one with a video playing and I just get a blue screen, before I even hit the record button. Any help would be an end to this insanity. Thanks

Skellington
Unregistered guest
David,
I have read this whole forum and have not found what I need. I have noticed others share my problem with Sony regarding dubbing stand alone VHS to DVD. When trying this my machine records fine for 7 seconds then simply stops and puts up a screen saying that I can't copy the protected material (meanwhile the VCR is still playing). The various stabilizers and other devices mentioned in this forum don't specify if they will solve my problem since it is not with the quality. Is there a device that will hide the copyright from my recorder or is there a way of modifying the unit similar to how the Playstations are done? Is it just a common problem with Sony? Is there a brand without these problems which you may suggest to me and the others with this problem?
As a disclaimer I am dubbing for personal use and backup, not for profit or distribution.

Thank you in advance for any help,

Username: Wwcv

Santee, California

For David M. Thought I'd let you know that this forum certainly helped me. Did my first VHS to DVD-R tonight. Used a Disney movie from a Panasonic PV8450 to a Panasonic DMR-ES20K with the SIMA CT-200 in the middle and used Sony DVD-R disk for copying. Worked fine, no cannot copy, etc. Didn't forget to finalize disk when done. Tried new DVD on multi DVD players to include external one for my laptop, and other DVD players - ALL WORKED. By the way, since I wasn't sure, also purchased the MCM RX11 just in case. Thanks for the advice, and thanks to this forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2386
Skellington, you can buy a stabilizer from MCM Electronics for $20 plus shipping that should work fine for VHS to DVD.

Username: The_rhyno

SK Canada

You Rock. An educating thread, thanks. I knew nothing, now I know something!

Regarding video stabilizers or color correctors to augment VHS signals copied to DVD and overcome copy protection:
(I have a Samsung R120 burner if that matters, I love it, works wunnerfully)

SIMA (model number?) would serve me best by giving me the most useful features and best quality product. Not too worried about price, can't be all that outrageous these days, right?

Thanks Man,
Tyler

Username: Fizban

My question is this. I own a toshiba dvd stand alone dvdr and using a pioneer vhs player. I get a small line along the bottom of the screen after i burn a dvd on any dvd player except the one i burned it with. How do i get rid of this line, or is it something the dvdr is putting on the screen and i need a new dvd burner?

Username: Tucson

Hi, I've followed the entire thread and followed David Massey's directions to a tee when copying VHS to DVD (stand alone vcr and burner, CT200). The good news is that it worked... sort of. I have been able to copy but the quality isn't all that great. Everyone else who was successful in this effort says the quality is great. My copied DVD's seem a bit blurry. Not bad, just enough to be annoying. I've played them on multiple DVD players with the same result. And when I play it on my Toshiba laptop, I also get a weird thing happening at the very top of the screen... sort of a ... hhhmm I can't describe it... Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. If I need to supply more info for someone to provide an answer, just let me know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2496
VHS to DVD isn't going to look like a straight to DVD recording, but it should look better than the VHS does. The stuff you see on the laptop is what's usually in the overscan on a conventional TV, that's why TVs have overscan.

Username: Bobtinindy

Hi David, I plan to purchase some equipment based upon your comments above, but would appreciate any comments you might have in case I overlooked something. Hoping my VCR and TV are adequate, I plan to purchase a SIMA stabilizer, a Toshiba or Pioneer DVD recorder, Taiyo Yuden DVD-r discs and perhaps monster cables.

My immediate goal is to transfer home VHS movies to DVD. However, I would rather have a flexible set up that would allow other copying should the need arise (DVD to VHS, old commercial VHS to DVD, perhaps DVD to DVD).

Would you recommend something different? Any particular models?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2555
Copying DVDs may or may not work with standalones. VHS to DVD should be fine, you'll need a stabilizer if the tapes are retail. Unless you've got a problem with interference, or are going to have long cable runs, you don't need expensive cables. With the poor resolution of VHS, I doubt you'd see any difference. The Toshiba D-R4 has the best picture quality I've seen, but I haven't done any VHS, I record from a satellite. From the posts I've seen about VHS to DVD on the D-R4, it's supposed to be good.

Bronze Member
Username: Tmax59

Post Number: 18
Just a note to readers of this thread in regard to Clueless in CT's diagrams: All of them have the notation: "1 & 2 seem optional. Removed them".

I don't think you want to do that because if you do, you won't get any picture on the TV (from cable) when all the other equipment (or any of it) is turned off.

So if you're planning on using this sort of setup, you'll need the coaxial cables he's labeled 1 & 2.

In fact, if you took everything but the VCR out of the picture, you'd have the standard Cable/VCR set up from the good old days before TVs had video inputs. When the VCR is on, the cable signal passes thru its circuits before exiting via the "out" coaxial cable (his cable 1). But when the VCR is turned off, the cable signal is just "shorted" between the "in" and "out" connections at the VCR as if the VCR wasn't even there.

But you need that cable to get the signal to the TV, obviously.

So I'm puzzled why he considered cables 1 & 2 "optional" although he does say this in his last post:

"My tv picture has improved from before (when I had no DVD or RFT Modulator). I guess this is because the AV cables send a cleaner signal from device to device but I don't know that for a fact"

so it seems that he ONLY watches TV thru the "AV cables," meaning everything is always turned on. So if that's the case, then those cables are indeed "optional" since they'd never come into play.

His final diagram is (finally) correct and has the "digital video stabilizer" properly labeled.

http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=ncc9w2

Username: Tivorules

David,

I want to be able to copy my saved directv tivo programs directly to DVD without using a capture card. Tried that already and it's too big a hassle... I scanned through all the answers in the thread and cannot find anything specific about this topic. If there is, sorry for repeating. I was thinking about getting a Sony MC1 but it sounds like it has problems with copy write protection. Could you please recommend any specific table top burners that could be used for this purpose?

Username: Tivorules

Oops, Sorry about being in the wrong thread... Didn't notice you had other more appropriate threads for my question prior to posting here... Surfed in from outside using google.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2571
I don't use Tivo, so I'm not sure about recording from it. If it has line outputs, you should be able to use a standalone recorder, but if any of the programs are copy once protected, the recorder probably won't record them.

Username: July

Hi.
I have had a similar problem but with another DVD recorder. My one is Panasonic DMR-E20. But I think it does not matter. I went to the following place suggested by my friend who also uses it:
http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html
Hope it will help you.

Username: Lschum1028

I have read this thread and before I make any additional purchases, wanted to be sure that I understand what I need.

Unfortunately I have already purchased a Sony RDR-VX515 DVD/VHS combo and cannot return it. I have purchased a RF modulator as my tv has only 1 coax input. Now the tricky part.... Due to copyright protection, I think I need to purchase a SIMA CT-200 which I think is the stabalizer. I need for someone to verify for me that this is correct.

I am guessing that the quality will not be that good based on the fact that I did not read the tread until after I purchased my combo recorder, but are there any other suggestions on increasing the quality of the output?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2672
You'll need a seperate VCR to go with that stabilizer. If at all possible, you'd be ahead to return the combo, even if you have to pay shipping charges, since you're going to have to buy a VCR, unless you already have one.

Username: Utlimatemutant

Can someone do step-by-step instructions on how to put a VHS to DVD?

I recorded a show from the TV on a tape and I would like to put it on a dvd. I have Memorex DVD-Rs. My dvd recorder is a Sylvania.

Please Help!!!

Username: Themm

So does anyone have a list of recommended equipment? VCR? VCR w/ stabilizer? Standalone stabilizer? DVD recorder?

Thanks.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2860
There's no VCR with a built in stabilizer. You need a VCR, preferably HiFi, stabilizer, and DVD recorder.

Username: Themm

Thanks for the response, but I was actually asking for a list of recommended models/units. What has everyone's experience been with particular brands/models.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2868
Toshiba D-R4 recorder, not a current model but plenty of them on ebay. Sima stabilizer, again plenty of them on ebay. VCR, good luck, there aren't any decent VCRs anymore, unless you want to spend $200-600.

Username: Kevinr

i'm using my laptops DVD burner to burn dvds.
What do I need to transfer video from a VHS to my laptop?

Username: Cpost2

San Antonio, TX United States

I have Dazzle video capture device and a $25 Digital Video Stabilizer, and that does nothing for backing up my old commercial VHS collection. I have heard that some stand-alone DVD recorder (viz. Daytek P30) have hacks to defeat Macrovision. Since You can't get that model anymore, do you know of any others? Does it really work?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2891
The only hackable DVD recorders that I know of are older 5000 series Liteons, but they are unreliable.

Username: Len1

DVDs are usless as they have a built in copy right and many videos from 1983 onwards have copy protection.I have copied some but most will not copy even though the retailers say easy copy of video there is no point in having a dvd reorder as al dvds and most sky programs are now blocked for copy.So what is the use of a dvd recorder NON
they are selling us something which is completely useless

Gold Member

Post Number: 2926
I use my DVD recorder every day. It's definitely not useless.

VHS TO DVD
I have a jvc and connect as follows
dvd (tv) scart to tv scart
dvd (vcr)scart to vcr
switch on dvdr insert dvd disc let it load
then select external input mode ie vcr (mine is av2 for vcr)
start record on dvdr start vcr play and you should then have picture on tv and be rcording on dvdr from video
If you connect you rf in cable then it is into dvdr out of dvdr and into tv then you can record tv program
I use cheap dvds at 4 for a £1.00 at the pound shop if they are refused by your dvdr give them a good vigorous wipe with a cheap serviette in a cicular motion
if this is not ok I can post a diagram

they are for copying copy right material
I have 6-1983 videos which will not even copy video to video never mind to dvd and have tried many different ways of connection and tried to copy from tv via vcr and this does not work
so how do you copy copy right programs from sky videos and dvds with copy right built in
I would be pleased to know
many thanks
Ps I use mine also for my camcoder videos ,other wise it would be useless as the only things I want to record are copy right

Gold Member

Post Number: 2927
You need a stabilizer. Everything you need to know and more is here.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/42269.html
We don't use scart here, so I don't know how anything would work with that.

Username: Lens

BradfordEngland

Post Number: 6
I have since found that my 6 week old DVDR was fualty and the replacement (JVC-DR-M70SEK) Now works fine providing I remove the RF cable between the VCR and the TV.I was advised that it can be the RF cable which passes the copy protection.It works for me

Username: Poiuyt

I have a Symphonic SR290VE. According to the handbook, it is compatible with DVD-R 4x. i purchased DVD-R 1-16x. I dont know much about it, but i assumed 1-16x meant it could be 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. Why wont it work???? it says disc error. thankyou for any help its probably something obvious but like i said i dont know much about it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3141
If you can find a firmware update, you may be able to use them. Look on the website, if there is one, or contact the manufacterer.

Username: Chris_fern

Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom

I have just bought a Samsung Combi unit Model DVD-VR330 to use for transferring VHS tapes to DVD. We have films and home movies. From reading this thread, you don't seem to have any regard for Combi units, but it does generally seem to do what we want except for one problem.

Reading other threads, some people have referred to this machine as suitable for DVD+ or - R/RW, but our machine is definitely only suitable for the -R/RW. Maybe the machines are different here in the UK to those in the States. However, I have spoken to the Samsung technical people, who confirmed the "-", but couldn't offer a solution to our problem:

We can record from VHS to DVD directly, using a DVD-R or DVD-RW disc (this one in Video mode)and after finalising, it will play back perfectly well on the same machine or on a Cyberhome DVD Player (very cheap, hacked for Multi-region).

However, we mainly want to play back on a JVC DVD Player and VCR, model HR-XV3EK and when we play the recorded disc back on that, we get the first 20 to 30 seconds with no sound. After that the sound appears, fully in sync and it plays OK. This is a problem with home video of our grand-daughter singing or of family wedding proceedings etc.!

We have also tried recording direct from the TV live channel, with exactly the same result. We can of course, get round the problem there by simply starting recording a minute early, but that is not possible on the home movies.

Username: Mairambija

or you can visit and try VHS-to-DVD.com servises and copy your home video tapes to dvd. You can get a pretty good conversion at a reasonable price from a lot of places.

Username: Lkitchings

I am trying to copy VHS movies that I own to DVD. I keep getting the message "Ths program is not allowed to be recorded" Is there anything I can do so that I can put my VHS movies on DVD? I have a SV2000 all in one machine. I have no problem transferring my old home movies to DVD.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3427
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/42269.html

Username: Heinsteiner

Henderson, Nevada USA

Recording PAL - VHS to DVD with Sima GoDVD.
How do I hook up the Sima GoDVD? It has the little switch from NTSC to PAL, but has the VHS player in my Combi (Sharp DV - RW 340 U) to be PAL compatible in order to use the PAL function?

Username: Shimmystef

ok i have the same problem as lynn kitchings. it says its because its copyrighted. is there anyway around that?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us