DVD Rom or Stand Alone DVD Player...whats best for DLP tvs

Username: Harbinger77

Nashville, TN

Post Number: 1
I'm relatively new to the forum. I'm planning on buying a Samsung HLP5085W tv as soon as they are in stock. I'm hoping the HD2+, higher contrast ratio, Gen 4 light engine will be worth the wait. In the meantime, I figured I would start shopping for a higher end dvd player. While looking at this, and other forums, I've seen alot of folks who are suggesting using their pc DVD player instead of buying a stand alone dvd player. From what I'm hearing, pcs are designed to produce higher quality pictures than dvd players. I was wondering if there is a general consensus among you guys...what is gonna produce a better quality picture on an HD tv? Using a pc/dvd drive/video card with a dvi output or progressive scan dvd player with dvi output. I'd love to hear what everyone has to say....or any research anyone has uncovered. Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Emkmd

Post Number: 69
Fred,
One of the big complaints about the Samsungs has been the noise of the cooling fan. I expected it to be there on my 507w and I do not let it bother me. PCs tend to be very noisy, so be careful where you set up the PC if you go with it. You can get a custom case that will fit in with your components. I would just go with the standard DVD player, the picture will be awesome.
-E
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us