60" Sony SXRD TV problem

Username: Ychandrani

Post Number: 1
I bought this TV from Sears during a black Friday event in 2007. It was pretty fine till last year when the picture would come and go. Sony told us from no. of blinking red lights, that the bulb has to be replaced. We did replace the bulb sept. 2010. After that it is giving us a problem. When you start the TV you hear in the rear of the TV a sound of a fan starting, the picture will come and all of a sudden the sound stops and the screen is black as if the TV is shut off. Then the red blinking lights start again. There is no sound, or image- Just a black screen. I tried calling Sony but they referred us to some technicians. They want so much money to even come and have a look at it.
Did anybody have this problem before? Please let me know if you have any idea to fix this.

Username: Sonylistens

Post Number: 4
Hello Ychandrani,
My name is Evelyn from sony eletronics the Sonylistens team. I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your tv. Please e-mail us at sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Please include your event number (if you have one), your TV model, serial #, your name and phone #. Also include a brief descrpition of the problem with the TV.
Thank You,
Evelyn Perez
SonyListens Team

Post Number: 2
Update: Sonylistens gave me the event ID no. with a heads up that my TV is eligible for replacement based on the date of manuf. and problems. They gave me the tel. no. to call. I called them and they bluntly refused to for any replacement and said that it is up to you whether you want to repair the TV or not. They can just assist me ...to locate a service center near my home!!!!???!!! Because my TV did not display any picture nor sound when they called and when we were going thru the problem. That is very rude I thought. They could not figure out the problem and nor do the service technicians would tell me the cost of repairs. Do I want to go that route to spend X no. of $ which no one is sure of rather than buy a good TV at $ 500-600 with newer technology? No. I just want them to check it out the problem and fix it or replace it. I have been going thru this since last 5-6 months. Is there a way out of this mess? Can anyone suggest?
Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 854
Yes forget the Sony and buy a Panasonic Plasma .

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50X3-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBHK

Post Number: 3
Thanks Casey. That was incredible.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 2302
chand,
Sony is SO GLAD your TV is broke and they don't even feel the least obligation to help you with a replacement. You saved them a lot of trouble.
I thought my SXRD was immune to the light engine problem. No external dust and a cool room.
You are one of the UnLucky ones whose set actually broke, probably lamp ballast or powersupply, instead of the light engine going south.
What model / voltage is your set? I've got a SXRD out in the garage which will go to parts. A rebuilder will give me cash for the light engine.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2416
NO MORE problems.
NO MORE SXRD, either.

Pulled the light engine for sale to a rebuilder and will take the set to scrap. No donation or sale to a repair guy possible.
I'm going to check with my Tax Guy about a deduction for a 2000$+ TV being junked out for cause in <5 years.

Post Number: 9
Hello,
My name is Mike from sony electronics the sonylistens team. If you are having any problems with a sony TV, computer, or other electronic please contact us at sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Include your name, product model, serial #, (forum) in the subject area, and a way for us to contact you.
Thanks,
Mike Puma
Sonylistens

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2464
Does this mean Sony will fix a Defective Light Engine? A part whose lifetime should be measured in decades? And was made defective from the start? And didn't even last thru the 2nd lamp? Do any heatproof parts exist for the rebuild?

Didn't think so.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Magfan,

We currently have a replacement program for certain models. Please email us some information and we'd be happy to see if you are eligible. Our email is Sonylistens@am.sony.com

Best Regards,
Sarah Kepler

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2471
Sorry Sarah,
If indeed Sony Listens, why'd it come to 3 (coulda' been 2) class action lawsuits?
I would have even had to OPT OUT had I been aware of such nonsense and the ridiculous 'settlement'.

I'm sorry, and will drop it, but Sony Damage Control does not impress me one bit.The fact of a fist full of Sony light block patents and the continued production of what IMO was a known defective product does little to give me a feeling of confidence.
I've owned various Sony products for 30+ years, including an original 19" Trinitron set with mechanical tuner, a SW radio, Cassette player, Walkman and who knows what else.
I'm thru. Even a PS3 won't tempt me.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2472
Don't think I'm hiding behind the internet, either. Buy me a ticket to wherever the wheels hang out and I'll tell them the same thing face-to=face.
PM me for the address to which to send the RT ticket. I have a passport, if needed.
The last decade or so of RPTV nonsense was not necessary.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16559
Hmmm!

In what a reply from Sony Team on this forum will help the multiple buyers which losed their money on this defective product obliged to send a court document to refund their money or replaced the crap TV set?

Is this the result of customer lost that make Sony moved now?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2475
Plym,
No refunds were offered. No 'free' TV replacement, either.
The Sony offer is typically to SELL you another set at quite a bonus price. It'll be warehouse stock. The sets offered will also depend on what is available.
Sony appears to be attempting damage control and trying to keep market share. Sony led the world of consumer electronics for a number of years, starting even before the Trinitron CRT display. I still have an ICF2010 SW receiver. This is one heck of a radio and will get stations from anywhere on the planet. Based on internet chat, Sony continued making it for a time after it was obsolete....nothing was better.

The way Sony works it now, is you send them proof of your RPTV being defective (virtually all ARE or WILL BE). The offer is then made and you accept or not. No 'court documents' are needed and no trip to small claims. That's the miracle of the class action settlement. Even people who NEVER heard of it are bound by it. You would have had to OPT OUT to preserve your rights. My set was legally obtained thru known channels of sales and distribution. Why wasn't I told? In California, you do not have to send in a warranty card to 'preserve your rights'......what happened to my rights in this matter? If I went to small claims, I'd get the boot, since the matter has already been litigated. I'd never be able to make my rights preservation arguement.

What really grinds me is that after the LCD projection sets, Sony must have known there was a problem. Now, I KNOW the difference between LCoS and transmissive LCD, but the same filter / cover materials were used in both, and both failed the same way. Sony holds (held?) a BUNCH of patents covering light block / light engine design, execution and COOLING. I wonder how many of those patents were 'benched' as too expensive? Could heat proof glass have been substituted for the failing materials? Could the rebuild kits have included upgraded materials?

I could have sent my light engine to a rebuilder. The set in question is actually fairly easy to take apart and the light engine is small and compact enough for easy shipping. The catch? The problem WILL come back eventually. So, I spent several hours R/Ring a part which will fail again in another lamp or 2. Than what?
Back to retail, probably, since in a few years Sony policy may change and those owing RPTVs from them may be at the end of a 'normal' life and no longer supported.
TVs will be less expensive and probably no more reliable than the current crop.

Too bad, too. The picture on my SXRD was tops. Good black levels and reasonable color fidelity. Picture detail was very good and there were no motion artifacts.
I couldn't even give it away. Nobody even wanted the remote, which was nearly untouched since I have Logitech.

Username: Danddad33

I have a 50 SXRD, I need the "LVD" wire that comes off the "B" board to the chassis. these are the blue wires coming out and connecting to the bottom left corner of the chassis. can anyone tell me were to get one? I just pulled the op block out and cleaned it with no luck the picture is still yellow. I used to work making these TV's for 10 years, so I do think that this was a problem when making them. Hell it is worth a chance. Thanks in advance

Dan

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2507
Forget it. Somewhere in the light engine are filters for each of the RGB colors. They or 'it' has faded being the wrong material for the job, at least long term. The problem may also have been inadequate cooling. Sony is a bigtime patent holder on this technology. Too bad they cheap-o'd out.
I just PITCHED an SXRD of the A2000 line which may have had the right part.
I've got the light engine, waiting a shipper to sell to a rebuilder.

My advice? Get the cable or not, but either:: 1) junk it out and sell the light engine OR 2) spend the 300$ on the rebuilt light engine and have the SAME problem in 8000 hours.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hey Dan,

My name is Mike I work with the sonylistens team. Please email sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Include your name, product model, serial #, (forum) in the subject area, and a way for us to contact you. If you want to continue trying to fix it yourself I suggest calling 800-222-7669 for assistance.

Thanks,

Mike Puma

Username: Sonyjunk

Sony TVs are JUNK. Their "Warranty" is another way to steal more money from the consumer with the "buy another TV at a discount" B.S. I bought a $4,000 SXRD and it had a KNOWN design flaw in the light engine. The TV was a piece of sh*t and it failed after 3 years of use. Their "Sony Listens" team are nothing more than marketing people who are trying to put out fires on the internet from all the bad publicity and angry customers who got sucked in and bought SONY TVs. Sarah Kepler is one of these low-level clerical reps who does NOTHING except feed you more Sony's B.S.
My advice is to take Sony to Small Claims Court and sue them for the original purchase price or full replacement cost. It is not that hard, just a few forms to fill out plus a filing fee of around $15-20 depending on your county. Check the internet by searching "Sony, lawsuits, sxrd, light engine failure, etc." and you will find hundreds of stories from consumers who bought Sony's crap TVs and ended up suing them.
I sued and recovered 80% of my $4,000 purchased price and I will NEVER EVER buy another Sony product. They are mass marketed pieces of JUNK masquerading as premium TVs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Hello Sonyjunk, my name is Scott Fuentes and I work for Sony Support USA. We are here to help out where and when we can. As much as we try, unfortunately we are not able to meet every customer’s expectations. I apologize your situation happened to be one of those times. Thanks, Scott

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2786
SJ,
I wonder if the settlement of several class action lawsuits with Sony as defendent effect YOUR rights in small claims. The matter has been litigated AND had an 'opt-out' provision. IF you didn't opt-out, you wer automatically part of the settlement.
IF you did opt-out, you preserved your rights. See a Lawyer for answers to questions.
'Full replacement cost'? Best of luck. None are available and the latest Sony LCD flatpanels are of mid-pack quality.

That a 'reasonable effort' wasn't made to contact all the owners of SXRD sets isn't THEIR problem! You should have been in touch with your psychic advisor.

In all fairness to Sony, when I took apart my SXRD it appeared well made and modular / easily serviced. My problem? Well, the worst part of the set, the light engine was most difficult ot remove and had an alignment procedure I wouldn't have wanted to tackle without some instruction.....and I've worked on projection photolithography equipment for semiconductors for YEARS.
Given that Sony is a multiple-patent holder on light engine design, IMO they screwed everybody with fore-knowledge. The light engines simply didn't stand up to normal use.

Post Number: 2
Hi Scott, I don't need a reply from you nor anyone associated with the SonyListens team. You people add no value and will spew forth the same Sony baloney that has angered so many of your formerly loyal customers.

Do yourself a favor and find work with a Corporation that you can be proud of, instead of working for a sleazy Japanese company with no honor and one that builds sh*tty products.

No further "Sonylisten" response necessary.

Post Number: 3
Magfan, you'll note that I sued and recovered 80% of purchase price despite not having "opted out" of the class action. Sony had to make a good faith effort in contacting TV owners regarding the settlements. They did not. A number of us were not notified in spite of having registered with Warranty and provided our contact information. On this basis the small claims judge said Sony committed egregious errors and agreed the suit should and must proceed.

The suit for replacement cost was intentional even though I fully expected to get a partial settlement. I recommend others do the same... sue away for the maximum and see what you can get out of it. The award of $3,200 I received is a hell of a lot better than Sony's laughable options to either buy a replacement TV at 20% discount or get my original piece of sh*t TV fixed at my expense. The 20% discount was to be applied to their inflated retail price so you'd be paying more for another TV set than you'd buy at a store on sale or online.

As for the light engine.... if it were so easily serviced then why did the Tech want to charge two to three hours to replace a poorly designed light engine with the same Sony engineered piece of sh*t that will fail in another 2-3 years?? Don't take my word on the work needed to replace the optical block - check youtube for a nice video on the procedure and see how difficult it is to complete.

Bottom line, Sony manufactures JUNK that are marketed as great products so they can take your money. But when the products fail, instead of standing behind their TVs, they send SonyListen stooges to gloss over their shameful business practices while giving you the finger with a smile.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2788
I pulled the light engine from my 60" A2000 series set. While it WAS a long involved procedure, it really wasn't all that bad. If I'd had the new part ready to replace, it would have taken 4 or 5 hours on my garage floor. I'm not fast, but I don't make mistakes, either. Some of the edge connectors were very tiny and difficult, but as far as design goes? It was well thought out and compact.
A trained tech 'in the groove' should be able to do it within the 3 hours you mention...and have time for a brief coffee break in the middle. I don't need the UTUBE vid......I went by the manual and actually took it apart and reassembled myself. Long? yes Detailed? for sure Impossible? no
And I took NO shortcuts, working as if I would reassemble, which I did, but not with a rebuilt light engine.

And a resounding YES. The optical block was built with the wrong materials. The plastic RGB filters 'yellow' with age, just like your plastic headlamp covers on your car. UV is very harsh stuff. Further research on your part would also disclose that Sony holds a %^$#load of patents on light engines design and build.
IF The filters could be changed to heatproof glass, they may last longer than the 8 or 9 thousand hours of the orignals.

OTOH, I would NOT recommend someone unfamiliar with taking stuff like this apart try the job. I have much experience working on semiconductor manufacturing equipment and am not scared of diving right in. Once apart, it even made sense. I got it back together, minus light engine for proper disposal.

As for the lawsuit? I may have blew it. I couldn't get a lawyer to tell me it was OK to sue AFTER the settlement with 'opt out' provision. Sony obviously didn't give a rat's bottom end about actually notifying anyone about what was going on.

I'm not sure 'stooges' is the right word? May I suggest 'tools'?

Also, my ICF2010 SW receiver is one of the best portables ever made. To this day, I'll put it up against ANY receiver in its cost category. It is worth pretty much what I paid for it......over 12 years ago......which says good stuff.

Username: Makko22

I bought this Sony SXRD for $4,000 and only did it because I believed in the quality of Sony products. What process did you take to sue them and how long was the process. Either way, I have no choice to pursue this method to recover my costs.
Thanks for sharing!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Hello Phil,

Good morning! This is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. We're sorry to hear that about your TV, have you contacted us via email at Sonylistens@am.sony.com? If not please do so at your earliest convenience. And please add in your email the full model number, serial number, mailing address, phone number, and please also add the issue. I assure you we will get back to you with a response within 1 to 2 business days or sooner. Thanks! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

Username: Akrause2004

You say you bought the TV in 2007 right ? Your post is dated 2011. Are you suggesting that 4 years after the purchase of your product Sony should be responsible for paying someone to come to your house and fix your TV ? That's just ridiculous. So is expecting someone to tell you how much the repair will cost before they even know whats wrong with it. (and no, ..I don't work for Sony) You need to pay a TV repair technician to come and evaluate your TV, ...just like millions of other people have done. Any reputable repair place will give you a flat rate to come look at the set and give you an estimate. At that point you can decide if you want to go forward with the repair. This is not "rude" of Sony. It's just how the world works.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3054
Adam,
the part in question does NOT fail electrically. It fails optically. And since Sony holds A BUNCH of patents on this technology, they KNEW what was coming down the pipe using PLASTIC filters in the light engine. If they'd used Heat Proof glass, we would NOT be having this chat and I'd still be enjoying my SXRD.
The basis for the problem is that virtually ALL Sony RPTVs have this problem, from the transmissive LCD to the SXRD. A set should reasonably be asked to last for 8 to 10 years. I've had 'em go 2x that and still be usable. For sets like the SXRD to begin failing with 6000 hours or so on 'em indicates POOR ENGINEERING and a cheap-o construction with simply some WRONG choices in specs.

There is NO QUESTION of the problem when an SXRD begins to shift colors and exhibit a set of well known and documented symptoms.

Username: Hazman

New problem. Bought the 55" SXRD in 2006. Loved the TV, replaced bulb last year and it worked well. Turned TV on the other day, green power light blinked about 15 times then came on solid green. Picture was fine but volume very low. Could not increase volume with remote or on TV itself. The only button in TV that worked was the power button. Called Sony, they said call a repairman. Figure I got a good 8 years out of the TV so bought a new TV and put the Sony on the curb.

Username: Pcmechanix

Springville, Iowa United States

I'm glad I found this site. I have been debating what to do and now it appears that legal action is my only recourse. I have sent several emails and facebook messages only to get the "generous" offer of 15% off their retail site. I don't care how old the TV is, this is an engineering problem that Sony knew about and neglected to inform customers of even after the class action suit. It sounds like several judges have already agreed with this assessment. I also find it humorous that Sony was using the same canned response in 2011 that they are today: "As much as we try, unfortunately we are not able to meet every customer's expectations". That's a great one. You would think that they would be more inclined to keep customers capable of purchasing $3000+ products from them happy. Apparently that isn't the case. I guess we will see what a court thinks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
@Hazman We regret any inconvenience this may have caused. If you ever need help in the future with your Sony products, please don't hesitate to contact us here. Our team are always ready to help out where and when they can. Thank you! -Amanda M

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
@pcmechanix We appreciate you reaching out to us here and we completely empathize with you and the situation you're currently in. Did you try emailing us at SonySupportUSA@am.sony.com to see if we've looked into any other alternatives that we can provide? Also the class action lawsuit that you are referring to was actually a class action settlement that we were able to fulfill a few years back. Again, that settlement is no longer around, but we're still more than willing to try to see what options may be available for you at this time. My team and I will try our best to return to your message ASAP if you do decide to email us at that address. Have a wonderful day! -Amanda M

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3102
IIRC, the class action was actually 2 lawsuits�not one.

In each case the 'penalty' was a slap on the wrist.

Sony holds or held a BUNCH of light engine patents and In My Opinion MUST have known about the problem with cooling and the Plastic Filters. I can see a bunch of guys sitting in a board room agonizing over a 10$ additional cost of manufacture for adding heat-proof glass filters to the light engine.

Not to forget, the previous generation of RPTV from Sony�.the Rear Projection LCD sets had the SAME problem.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us