File-Sharers Await Official Recognition of New Religion

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 21006
File-Sharers Await Official Recognition of New Religion

A group of self-confessed radical pirates are pinning their hopes on gaining official recognition of their own unique belief system. The founders of the Missionary Church of Kopimism -- who hold CTRL+C and CTRL+V as sacred symbols -- hope that along with this acceptance will come harmony, not just with each other, but also with the police.

'Thou shall not steal' is one of the most well-known of the Ten Commandments. Although most familiar to those in Christian circles, its message is universal and cuts across most religious boundaries. But while stealing -- taking another's property and therefore depriving him of it -- is widely frowned upon, some have a wider definition for the word.

The congregation at Missionary Kopimistsamfundet -- The Missionary Church of Kopimism -- believe that copying is to be embraced by religion and they hope that very shortly this way of life will be officially accepted by the authorities.
Founded by 19-year-old philosophy student, Isaac Gerson, this brand new church believes that copying and the sharing of information is the most beautiful thing in the world. To have your information copied is a token of appreciation, say the church, a sure sign that people think you have done something good.

"In our belief, communication is sacred. Communication needs to be respected. It is a direct sin to monitor and eavesdrop on people. Absolute secrecy is holy in the Church of Kopimism."

The church has its own set of axioms, most of which revolve around free access to knowledge and the sharing of information. They include:

# Reproduction of information is ethically right.
# The flow of information is ethically right.
# Remix Spirit is a sacred kind of copying.
# Copying or remixing information conveyed by another person is an act of respect.

The church is also acutely against DRM and other methods of protecting or hiding code.

"To appropriate software (to keep source code hidden from others), is comparable to slavery, and should be banned," they declare.

Perhaps predictably the church use the 'Kopimi' logo (a pyramid with the letter K inside) as their official symbol and hold CTRL+C and CTRL+V as sacred.

Read at this URL

Silver Member
Username: Parilla

El Paso, Texas

Post Number: 175
yu guts one zmelly puzzy nydazz flys maggots and stinki
Upload

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24617
Shoot in college they teach you that copying information without credit is called plagiarism. An act that can get you expelled. The idea of advancing an education is meant to enable a person to think for themselves and create ideas and answers unique to their own experiences. Anyone can copy/paste off the net. I hardly see a religion needed for the art though. It's like putting a picture of your neighbor's kids in your wallet. What does that prove? Really?

Tell me what YOU'VE learned and retained in your OWN words. Not what someone else has in theirs.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21010
If you had bothered to read the post with a professional eye, you would have noticed that my behaviour and the way of presentation was that of a reporter.
I have no time nor use for senior members sitting in the wings to fault me. If you had bothered to comment on it as a reader or post another article, I would have felt a need to express my opinion. At present, the article is as it stands - a news report.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24621
So you are a "reporter" then?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 21012
No, I am not a reporter. I am bringing in a report as a matter of interest to members, just as people bring in reports of court actions, etc., although they are not lawyers, or reports of a good performance though they are not performers themselves.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24624
So you're a reporter then lol?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us