Old Broad wants to connect Laptop to old ProScan TV

Username: Babs0107

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I have what is probably a stupid question. I have an old ProScan PS32130A TV and a Compaq Presario laptop. I want to connect my laptop to the tv to watch movies via Netflix, but I can't figure out which kind of cable to buy. The ProScan has two input connector groups - 1 and 2. Both have the 3 RCA type ports (L-mono White, Right Red, Video Yellow) AND a S-Video port.
I bought a cable that had the 3 colored RCA wires and also an S-video connector all at one end. I actually bought this for my son's PS3 but thought I could use it or a similar one for my laptop connection.
Anyway, do I use all 4 connectors or just the S-video one and the white and red audio connectors when I hook up to the tv?
I'm so ignorant when it comes to all this stuff and I can't seem to find out why the ProScan has 4 ports - the 3 RCA and the S-video. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Also, how do I find out the pin type for the ProScan S-video port. I found a zillion pictures of them and I cannot seem to make a match. I just want to get the right cable.
If anyone can help guide me, I'd be most grateful.
Sincerely,
babs

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 553
Without knowing the model of your Compaq Presario, it is impossible to answer this question.

Post Number: 2
Hello ieee488,
Thanks for responding to my question. Funny ... I thought the type of television was my big problem. Oh well!
My Compaq Presario is the C700 Notebook. FYI ... This is my first laptop so I know very little about it.
I know it has the S-video out port, and I tried counting the "pins" but got confused. However, I "think" it has 7.
The laptop also has an HDMI port ... at least I think that's what it is. From what I've read, that won't help me much, but maybe you may say different??
While researching on the imternet, I did read something about having to use the headphones port as well as the s-video port on the laptop to get the audio onto some televisions. BUT I was never sure if any of the information I found was correct for my specific equipment and need ... if that makes any sense.
Anyway, thanks for trying to help me out.
Sincerely,
Babs

Silver Member

Post Number: 557
babs,

You'll need cable like this --->
http://www.svideo.com/pro724.html

HDMI won't work for you since your TV doesn't have HDMI.

Post Number: 3
Hello ieee488,
THANK YOU so much. I took a look at the webpage you noted above. I'll be ordering the cable as soon as I ask one more question.
I bought a cheap-o router ... not knowing anything about routers. Anyway, it works fine for me, but my son says that he loses the signal in the basement sometimes ... which is where the ProScan tv is that I'll be using. My son is leaving ... moving out next Friday and he's taking his PS3 that we had been using to watch movies.
So here's my question. I was thinking of getting one the cables you recommended in an extra long length. That way I'd be able to keep my laptop closer to the router. Will that cause a problem with reception or whatever. I was thinking of at least 24 ft. What do ya think, smart guy?
Thanks again for all your help. I spent hours and hours trying to learn about these cables, etc. In fact, after I brought up the page for the cable you suggested, I tried to save it to my Favorites and guess what ... I already had that exact page saved ... along with about 25 others. LOL!
Take care.
Regards,
babs

Silver Member

Post Number: 558
babs,

I don't have experience with the longer length.
I have always used equipment that were close to each other.

You might want to ask the company that sells the cable.

Just make sure you buy a long enough cable.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 16046
Babs

Over 100 feets for the S-Video, you can also buy a RF converter for 30$ if you want more!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us