Switching internet provider.

Bronze Member
Username: Puchatek

Post Number: 43
I am thinking of switching my internet provider from Cogeco high speed cable to Distributel high speed DSL. Is this switch going to affect my Nano 2 Satellite connection? Do I have to set up everything again since I switched? I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Can any body answer me, pleas.

Gold Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 1088
Not on your receiver (assuming you're using a router for your sat receiver and its set for dhcp). But you'll have to change a few settings on your router.

Diamond Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 20505
Your new router will acquire a new IP address from DSL provider. Most likely, in the process you may have to change the router if your DSL provider insists. Even if the router is not changed, you will be lucky to see the old local IP addresses maintained. I would say that the chances are about 50% that you will have to redo the whole setup.

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Canada

Post Number: 5822
YES..... you will get a new IP addrress with a new prvider.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1089
DSL uses PPPoE, which is built into virtually every router on the market these days, so his old router should still work. But even if his new provider forces him to get their brand of router, it should still offer dhcp service, which his Nano 2 should be set up to use normally (unless his set his receiver to use static).

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20507
Jason: I was not contradicting you - only trying to set the record straight.
Different DSL providers and their routers.
I had one recently which was factory set to 192.168.2.254 and the first IP it dished out was 192.168.2.64
the one I have currently from Bell is set to 192.168.2.1, and gives out IPs from 192.168.2.10 by default.
Supposing his current outer from the cable is set to 192.168.1.1, everything is not compatible.
Now if we interpose a router in between, the router may not like the 192.168.2.64 or 192.168.2.10 from the ISP. You might by accident or in frustration reset the router and all its output DHCPs would be lost.
My feeling is that even with a router in between there are enough unknowns to force you into a complete new installation to the receiver. it should be theoretically not necessary if there is a router but in practice it might happen a lot more often than desirable.
Today Bell always gives you a combo modem router, so you are forced to use it and accept the new local settings for it and the new ones sent out by it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1091
Nydas, dude was basically asking if chaning ISPs would involve a lot of work in terms of redoing his sat setup - the simple answer is "no". When Andy switches ISPs, the Distributel technician that sets up the connection or the CSR will explain things so that the customer doesn't put two routers in series. My point was that the inside connection of routers have a dhcp scope so this shouldn't be a problem for andy's IKS.

No need to get so defensive, Nydas - I'm not looking to pick a fight with you. Just saying to Andy that I think there shouldn't be any problem at all with his sat setup so long as he can get his Internet going (which the new ISP technician or CSR will assist anyways).

50% chance just sounded so... grim.

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2279
Jason...Kindly ignore nydaz...He hasn't got both paddles in the water and is here only to disrupt this forum.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Thank You Jason.

Silver Member
Username: Chevrolet

Post Number: 510
Very hard to help some one here without him jumping
in to confuse the person.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20508
Chevrolet: Just shut up.. I have used 4 ISPs in the last 7 years, have used 4 different Voip services and am currently set up with a Bell Modem router feeding two other routers and 6 attached devices including three VOIP phones _ One USA, one Canada and one UK number. Also running three computers plus two laptops off and on by visiting children, and lately grandchildren demanding wireless service from me for their Iphones or Ipads or what have you.
During the process I have learnt a lot of about IP addresses , DHCP etc and am more than qualified to talk about it in this and any forum discussing the subject
which you not qualified to do.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5851
lol.... why switch so many times Nalin? just curious

btw it also depends on if you're using a local area connection or wirerless network connection. etc.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5852
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_service_provider

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 5853
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISP_(disambiguation)

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20528
"why switch so many times Nalin? just curious"
The big businesses of North America have the habit of coming out with specials. These are often comparable to "loss leaders" in retail business parlance. supermarkets use this technique to draw customers in to buy something else. the big ISPs do this to attract the customer to sign in for the next year or continue after "3 months free" . I look at all these deals and arrange what is best for ME.

For example, did you know that there is a better offer for Sympatico than even Bell's first three months free? Bell's offer is conditional on signing up for one year for three months free, but there is another offer in the market, which gives you four months of Sympatico free without committing for the additional eight months - and it is not even from Bell!

Silver Member
Username: Chevrolet

Post Number: 548
Very hard to help some one here without him jumping
in to confuse the person.

Chevrolet is right

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20541
Records indicate that YOU, Chevrolet, have the habit of jumping in quickly to answer questions usually inaccurately , incompletely and often falsely.

Bronze Member
Username: Mrwright2u

Post Number: 12
Records show Nadas as a looser.

http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1440&bih=809&btnG=Search+Imag es&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&q=nalin%20nydas&tbs=isch:1

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2280
http://www.google.ca/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1440&bih=809&btnG=Search+Imag es&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&q=nalin%20nydas&tbs=isch:1

Username: Kim_soo

Post Number: 8
lol

Silver Member
Username: Finish22

Post Number: 466
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us