Samsung HL-S5687W HDMI is dead after cable change.

Username: Nodsirrah

Post Number: 1
I have an HDMI input to my Samsung HL-S5687W from my Dish receiver and another from my computer going to the HL.

Today I ran a composite cable from the Dish receiver to the HL. In the process of doing so I had to remove both the HDMI cables, after I plugged them back in I no longer had HDMI signals from the Dish receiver or computer. I know I had signals before removing the cables.

When I plugged the cables back in the TV was powered up, as was the Dish receiver and the computer.

I suspect I fried the HDMI inputs part of the HL. What do I do now?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15594
Welcome to eCoustics Don!

Usualy you must power off all your units before hooked a HDMI cable to prevent a failure caused by static spark.

To prevent it, touch the HDMI metal tip then touch a RCA input or a screw on the TV to drain the static.

Unhook all power cord, hook all HDMI's cable then try again!

Post Number: 2
Plymouth,
Thanks for the info. I powered down and removed all power cords to everything attached to the TV, removed and grounded the HDMI metal to chassis, rebooted everything and still no source HDMI.
Fortunately the Component cable from the Dish Receiver to the TV provides video on par with HDMI, I would be emotionally wrecked if I could not watch the final Nascar Cup race on my big screen. Secondly I am ashamed my lack of HDMI knowledge will prevent watching family photos and videos during the Thanksgiving weekend family gathering, and worst of all my wife will burn me alive for killing the TV.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15598
Don

Is that the componants input work( RCA RED/BLUE/GREEN)?

Is that all HDMI's inputs are down?

Post Number: 3
Plymouth,
Components work fine.
I had a Chat with Samsung:
Pulled power plugs to all devices, waited 1 minute, plugged in everything and powered up everything. No improvement.
Then umplugged the TV while local channel was showing (I have rooftop antenna), waited 1 minute, plugged in everything and powered up everything. No improvement.

There is a source button, when pressed it cyles through the different inputs, prior to my cable changing if it would start with antenna, it would go to Component STB, then to Component DVD, then to HDMI1 for STB, then to HDMI for computer and back to antenna. Now it does not stop on either HDMI.

Dish Chat says it is time for a Technician to do a checkup. I pretty much knew that before I started the 50 minute Chat!
My problem is I can't afford a Service call, shame on me for not having a job with a decent income for almost 10 years.

I can't find a service manual to determine if I can replace whatever board has met with a fatality. I may not know how to find the problem but I am willing to replace components.
I would be greatful for any suggestions.
Don

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1844
UH? Unplug component and try again? Maybe the TV 'prefers' the component for some strange reason.
Also, my Sony can 'skip' unused inputs so when I flip thru 'em, I only hit those which can have an input. For example, I leave the front panel inputs active so if the niece shows up with her X-box, we can plug it right in.
Go to your TV menu or read the Manual (gasp) if you have to and re-enable the HDMI inputs........
Sounds like to figured it out but just missed solution::

Post Number: 4
Leo, thanks for the tip, a full cup of coffee later and I find not one word about re-enabling HDMI inputs or anything remotely similiar.
I guess Sony is one-up on Samsung which has great product but limited support!
Don

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15606
Don

Your only option now is try a new video input board!

Post Number: 5
Plymouth,
Do you have a way to provide me with the part number?
Don

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 15612
Don

I can't found any service manual or parts for your Samsung.
There is none solutions I can found for your HDMI problem.

Call Samsung for the parts but their customer service suck!

Sorry!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1846
Plym, with all due respect, I think (hope, actually) you are a little quick on the draw with changing boards. This is an expensive fix and will be a hassle.
I'd urge the OP to try a couple more things, starting with an E-mail to the help line of Samsung. They may know of the 'secret button'.

Unless the inputs were simply fried....and it is ALWAYS a good idea to power down when making connections, I'd hope this stuff was robust enough to take it..........

But, I'd still try a note to Samsung first.........Turning inputs on/off on my Sony may be the directions (it is) but I don't read 'em as a general rule and figured it out by judicious button pushing......

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1847
The sets instructions say to 'make sure the power is on so you can select from the inputs.'.....or close.
This is in the 'notes' on page 23 and is talking about HDMI / DVI input selection.

Also, go to page #45 and look at the 2 methods of source selection:
Press 'Source' button
OR
Press the Menu button than INPUT.

Read the NOTE: the HDMI device must be on to be seen so it can be selected:

try above.....let me know how it works out.

Post Number: 6
Leo,
I re-read pages 23 and 45 again thoroughly. Hear is what I assume:
If the HDMI on the board is working properly when you have an HDMI signal it will stop at the HDMI location when pressing the source button.
If the HDMI on the board is working properly when you do not have an HDMI signal it will also stop at the HDMI location when pressing the source button and a pop-up window will show "No or weak signal"
However, if the HDMI on the board is not working properly, even though you have a good signal it will not stop at the HDMI location but will go to the next location, assuming that portion of the board is working. The manual does not state that but this is the situation I have.
I appreciate you trying to help.
Don

Post Number: 7
Leo,
Your post must have gotten here while I was laboring on my last very detailed post.
I will try the Samsung help line.
Thanks again,
Don

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1848
I believe your read is the correct one....that is what I got out of it, too.

I guess the next stop is the Samsung help line.....followed, unfortunately by a repair bill.....if you choose that route.

I'm outta' bullets!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us