Bandwidth of Satellite Channels

Bronze Member
Username: Annamouse

Post Number: 39
Hi friends!
I need somwhere to find details about bandwidth of tv Satellite Channels (for example what the bandwidth is used by france24 on hotbird) and find price of leasing frequency on different satellites.
Please Guide me!!

best regards

Bronze Member
Username: Old_howard

Post Number: 38
Info could be helpful:

http://www.flysat.com/tv-fr.php

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 19920
In 1990, these were the costs

ANNUAL LEASE COST PER SATELLITE TRANSPONDER
Publication: Screen Digest
Date: Sunday, April 1 1990
Astra $5.1m; negotiable
DFS Kopernikus $6.5m plus $18,700 per 500,000 homes reached
Eutelsat I&II $3.9m; non pre-emptible for 3 years minimum
Intelsat $2.8m for full transponder
Olympus free for initial 2 years; cost ESA $16.5m
PanAmSat $1.8m
TDF 1 $14m

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19921
Rand published several papers for Defese department. Too technical to read, but here is a URL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19922
Here are some definite costs.

Internet VSAT access via satellite: Costs
The numbers below are all approximate assumptions. The figures given are not intended to be representative of any particular system. Contact appropriate service providers in your satellite beam coverage areas for quotations.
1. Space segment charges
A satellite costs $300 million to build, launch and operate and has 15 transponders. Over 10 years the cost is then $2 million per annum per transponder.
One transponder is leased and used to provide a high power 34 Mbit/s outlink carrier (hub to remotes). Cost = $2,000,000 per annum
One quarter of another transponder is leased to provide a low power high sensitivity return link capacity (remotes to hub). Cost = $500,000 per annum
In July 2003, in ViaSatellite, SATMEX V at Phoenix Teleport, was advertising C band bandwidth at $3,500 per MHz per month. (equivalent to $1,512,000 per annum for a 36 MHz bandwidth) so the above estimates are not far out but you should be aware of large variations due to power, frequency band, length of lease, pre-emptibility, priority in the rare event of transponder failure etc.
( If you want to buy Ku band satellite transponder capacity from me the price is around $7,000 per MHz per month. This applies to NSS7 Ku band satellite service in Europe, North Africa and Middle East and Ku band operation in the Caribbean areas )
Assume that dedicated capacity assigned to a particular remote = 1 Mbit/s outlink, 250 kbit/s return link. This remote VSAT might have 100 PCs connected in its local LAN.
Cost per remote (outlink) = $2,000,000 / 34 = $58,823 per annum plus:
Cost per remote (return link) = $500,000 / 34 = $14,705 per annum
So..
1000k/250k link will cost $73,528 per annum (dedicated)
or 100k/25k link will cost $7,353 per annum (dedicated)
Smaller capacities, such as 32 kbit/s each way, will be proportionally lower cost and higher capacities, like 2 Mbit/s outlink and 500 kbit/s return link, will be proportionally higher cost.
Very substantial price reduction per VSAT is possible if the bandwidth is shared, typically with contention ratios of 1:5 to 1:100, giving an average bit rate per VSAT terminals of 10kbit/s down and 2.5kbit/s up, giving prices like:
1000k/250k link will cost $175 per month (shared, contention ratio 1:50)
100k/25k link will cost $87.5 per month (shared, contention ratio 1:5)
You pays your money and you get what you pay for !
( satellite-bandwidth-costs bookmark starts here )
Added new 24th November 2005:
Assume satellite transponder bandwidth costs $5000 per MHz per month.
So, if you rent 100 kHz of bandwidth the monthly charge is $500 per month. You could use your 100 kHz for two dedicated carriers, one each way. The first carrier would be the outlink, the second carrier the return link.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19923
Oh!. an afterthought.

Added 30 April 2008:

Global teleports are charging around $6500 - $7000 per month per Mbit/s including termination into the terrestrial internet and assuming QPSK modulation, 3/4rate FEC and operation on a highly reliable Ku Band spot beam satellite. If you use a large dish obviously you get to to use higher order modulation methods like 8PSK or 16QAM and perhaps higher FEC ratios like 7/8, 0.95 which result is much lower space segment charges. Choosing less popular beams, C band an inclined satellite will also gte the cost down, as will longer lease periods, like 1 or several year lease contracts.

If you have capacity to sell please say in the transponder capacity for sale section of the satellite internet forum.

What bit rates are possible?.

If you use (1/2 rate FEC QPSK) and smallest dish then you may squeeze in is about 80 ksps or 80 kbit/s information rate (note: 2 transmission bits per symbol and 1 information bit per symbol).

If you spend more on a large antenna (say 10 times larger) and buy an advanced modern 16-QAM modem with 0.95 turbo FEC then you may be able to achieve 4 transmission bits per symbol and 3 information bits per symbol. So you might get a total of 240 kbit/s information rate.

You could use 240 kbit/s to provide 200 kbit/s downlink speed and 40 kbits/s return uplink speed. This would be good for 1 VoIP phone call (12k each way) plus 28k/188k for web browsing using up to 18 PCs.

Assume hub costs and internet connection amount to $100 per 100kbit/ per month.

Summary: 200k downlink + 40k uplink = $700 per month

There is a further improvement possible. Your outlink should be a tiny share of a giant outlink carrier that occupies a whole transponder, operating at saturation (output back off approx 0.5 dB). Such a carrier is approx twice the power of a multitude of small carriers when the transponder has to be operated backed off to keep intermodulation noise down.

So please use high cost bigger dishes, high cost low phase noise LNBs, high cost PLL locked BUCs and high cost modern modems, and everyone will benefit from the lower monthly costs.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15200
http://www.lyngsat.com/

Choose Atlantic!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Thanks for all replies , and exclusive thanks to "nydas" , but " Rand published several papers for Defese department. Too technical to read, but here is a URL" , this link don't work for me.
and in post 4 , can we have 2010 costs for start up sat tv channel?

thanks , best regards

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19932
1. I am unable to create a URL for you for Rand documents. However you can Google
rand "satellite cost" defense department
and see what is avaialbale.

2. The costs in the long post above were 2008. Ido not have any information on 2010 costs. I guess you will gave t write to the business address of the satellite you are interested in to find out the latest. What we have here is a rough estimate of costs for somebody planning a project.

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2207
You FAIL again Nalo

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
thanks for useful replies,
i have another question, how my tv signal transfer to satellite ? you assume i am in middle east and i have a tv channel on hotbird , how can i transfer uplink signal ( can i transmit signal to satellite directly or i must do this through intermediate company?)

Best Regards

Bronze Member
Username: Chevrolet

Post Number: 58
Hi friends!
I need somwhere to find details about bandwidth of tv Satellite Channels

AnnaMouse why not try

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Hi chevrolet!
with what keyword ? for example what is the BW (or bitrate) of france 24 on hotbird ? can u tell me ?
Thank u

Bronze Member
Username: Old_howard

Post Number: 56
Unmeasurable tu stupid muthafukker: Anna

http://www.google.com/search?q=france+24+on+hotbird&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&clien t=firefox-a&rlz=1R1GGGL_en___US359

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_ enUS400US400&q=bandwidth+is+used+by+france24+on+hotbird%29

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_ enUS400US400&q=BW+%28or+bitrate%29+of+france+24+on+hotbird

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Sorry about that Old_howard
didn't see you, my girlfriend did say
that I'm too quick on the trigger.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Thank u chevrolet, your second post was useful for me,

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
why thank you AnnaMouse
glad I was some help to you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Hi
Thanks for all help and reply, can anyone find for me price of leasing frequency ( which cover middle east ) per MHZ Per month , because when i contact with Eutelsat i can not get specific response.
please give me list price or in other words i need a digit.
thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Pirate_pete_208

Post Number: 365
My Dear Anna Mouse, I don't think you will find here what you are looking for.
Tell us what Country you looking to beam on and we
can tell you the satellite and how to contact them.

Are you looking for Business use or personal?
For personal use it's much cheaper to lease from a satellite
that has Repeater Service

Any way check these two Links

http://www.telesat.ca/en/Conaact_Us
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us