10/10/10 internet virus rumour debunked

Bronze Member
Username: Never_on_sunday

Post Number: 73
C/P

10/10/10 internet virus rumour debunked

Rumours have spread across the internet that a computer virus will strike computers at 10:10am on 10 October 2010 (or, if you prefer, 10:10 10/10/10).

It's just the kind of scare that people love to murmur about, and share with their online friends, but I'm afraid it has no basis in fact.

As I explain in The Daily Telegraph today, focusing on particular dates is not the way to keep your computer protected against malware attack.

The truth is that there is malicious software which triggers every day of the year - so worrying about one particular date or time is actually counter-productive, as it implies that you should take less care on other dates.

The reason why the 10th October has received a little more attention is because of the cute quirk of the numbers reading 10/10/10. But even that's not a new idea. For instance, in the run-up to March 3 2003, I had to debunk rumours that the internet would stop working at 03/03/03.

The 10/10/10 rumour, just like the 03/03/03 one, is utter codswallop.

And yes, I know that 101010 is binary for decimal 42 (the alleged answer to "Life, The Universe and Everything" if you're a fan of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). But it's still not any reason to worry any more than normal!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 15042
Boom!

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Canada

Post Number: 4822
and 2012 is the end of life as we know it

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 19864
After a boring board meeting of the hackers and borers, everybody got so bored it was decided to postpone the virus attack from the not so boring date of 10/10/10 to another boring date of 11/11/11.
Doreen got so bored was with charing the board meeting, snored.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us