N3 Compromise

Silver Member
Username: Sam_patel

Post Number: 165
This is rumours for now !

C/P

N3 compromise.... understanding it in context
I am more than a bit shocked at the nay-sayers in here.
Many of you don't have an inkling of technical background but on you go about "show me the money" and "not real till I see it"...etc.... I am not bashing anyone here... but take a deep breath my good FTA friends.

Ok so let me, with a technical background try explain in more basic terms what Christopher Tarnovsky has done and why it's significant. It's been well understood that N3's code keys where buried deep in the Infineon chip, designed to be very very hard to penetrate and read. Without boring you all on the implications, he had to use an electron mircoscope to read past a meshed layer of protection that if broken basically destroys the chip. The point is he has done it...he has read the chip and the N3 "secrets". N2 was "broken" because the code keys last time were leaked for money. This time it's just a good clean hack...period. Even the chip maker admitted they are compromised on a chip they claimed could not be hacked.....recall I have said this many times in here...EVERYTHING is hackable.

What happens next is anyone's guess. We have changes in the legal status of things that make it hard for ANYONE to stand up and say they have the keys. We know that it was a costly process for him to hack the chip...questions is what value does he put on it? Who knows... it's not illegal to do what he has done. There is NO international or US laws that forbids you from reading a chip with protection on it. But there are plenty that will hammer you for what you do with that information. So if he is "selling it" or giving it away.... this will drive timing. But sooner or later, the FTA STB makers will have their hands on his decode.

Something else not in the dialog stream here. N3 is NOT like N2 with basically fixed code keys and a pattern to their rolling sequence. Part of the N3 magic by its creators is that it uses an encrypted rolling series of code keys that are sync'd to data in the new chip. SO a standalone BIN may no longer do the job unless it imitates that functionality. MEANING it's not just a BIN anymore but an executable program. That could be a real issue for all our STBS. In order for them to duplicate what is needed, it means doing what the N3 chipped card does without the card and its processing abilities being present. Confused? It means our boxes may need more processing and memory onboard to take on that functionality and today they may not have enough....meaning NEW STBs for the lot of us as one possible implication. At a minimum, we'd all need new firmware
in our STBs....(new operating code...not BIN files) that will allow for this process of encryption referenced rotating keys to function.

So if you are still following me.... it's clear the data needed to understand N3 is no longer protected. This is now fact...not fiction. And we don't know who has that data beyond Tarnovsky. But a new bin file isn't likely to be the end fix. "Coders" as people like to call them in here... are not the secret technology monks people make them out to be....the STB makers are the coders...and until they 1) have the N3 compromise in hand 2) understand how that impacts the physical way it's then implemented and 3) figure how to then mass distribute the "fix" be it a new box or operating codes....etc without legal issues.....THEN you get something to TEST.

OK.... does that get people's view in the correct frame of reference?
It means...be patient .... it's not an overnight event and you can EXPECT some degree of format change at the set top box level .... there has to be as N3's format demands it. What else you can be certain of is that ALL the garbage you have been reading on N3 hacks up to now, has been just that, nonsense. But Tarnovsky's work is bankable and the clock is running as to how soon you will see the impact.

These are all just opinions, I have done nothing illegal...

End C/P

Gold Member
Username: Doreenakadj

Canada

Post Number: 4794
interesting ....Thanks for the c/p info

Silver Member
Username: Pirate_pete_208

Post Number: 253
sam, sam the FTA man

Excellent post
In my opinion
when the crack is tested & ready, will be sold to the
highest bidder and the hightest bidder will sale
to the Manufacturers and they will hit the streets with new Boxes
everybody will make money and all the Desi people
will be happy and all the IKS Servers will go on vacation
and everyone lived happy after

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14967
Latest N3 Hack Rumor May 2010

by FTA Online on May.16, 2010, under NAGRA 3

It has been surfacing all over the internet that Satopia has a working bin for the Satopia receivers.

This is the file name that has surfaced. Satopia ST1100UT 1100 BL v02 12-05-10

C/P:
There has been no compromise to N3 and there are no working bins whatsoever.

Do not believe what any sites are saying at the moment or load any files into your receivers.

Once there is a working N3 stand alone bin, the news will be posted here at xxxxx.

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2189
SEGMENTS OF n3 HAVE INDEED BEEN COMPROMISED. Please stop posting phony BS here

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 14969
Post a link!

Silver Member

Post Number: 255
Old news Plymouth
Sam, Sam the FTA man has bought us fresh and different News

you bring 5 month old bread to the table
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Sam_patel

Post Number: 166
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk73ye2_g4o&feature=related

http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-dc-10/bh-dc-10-speaker_bios.html#Tarnovsky

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 2191

Bronze Member
Username: Dr_ruthless

Bancock, Taiwai Korea

Post Number: 72
horsefeathers

where would this supposed "Tarnovsky" get the hundreds of millions of dollars in lab equipment (electron microscope hahaha, why not x-ray) and enormous talent to decipher the gate structures /ASIC on the chip, as he claims not to bash "those don't have an inkling of technical background" right from the beginning to gain credibility.

If the chip was so easily reverse engineered, they would not have made it. It is literally a firmware firewall embedded in the chip itself, and I hardly think it irrepairably self destructs than loops too. I can see only one motive for such total dufus misinformation... to scam.

There is no N3 hack, this is shear BS. No government or huge institution would embark on such a project or go to anywhere near those great lengths let alone enormous expenditures to just hack TV, and the chip makers know it. This is why they made it and why it still works.

Careful what you read, lots of nutsos out there trying to sound credible.

N3 will not be hacked due to vast energies required to do so and I can not see any huge institution's lab taking the arduous steps to do so.

As for some new box coming out, if they had this code/firmware key, reprogramming a card is all they need than any new box. It would also be like some one cloning AMD or intel then selling it black market, so how could they sell it? Nuts either way.

N3 hack is Its totally horesfeathers. Won't happen. That article is pure bull for motive. To lie and scam.

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk73ye2_g4o&feature=related

http://www.blackhat.com/html/bh-dc-10/bh-dc-10-speaker_bios.html#Tarnovsky

How you like me now Play.mouth
Sam, Sam the FTA man

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Hey, Fu.k Yu
you sound like King
where does you info. come from?

Sam, Sam the FTA man
did post two Links where his info. came from
let us see yours?

Check this Sh/t out, ecoustics allow you to register your
name as fu/k Yu, but can't use it on your message

Error
The following words are not allowed on this discussion board:
•Fu.k
Please revise your post to remove the words indicated above.
}

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 14979
Hook

Check the date on the upper right corner of the youtube video!!!!!

February 2, 2010

Bronze Member
Username: Never_on_sunday

Post Number: 80
Despite all the solutions being imposed, for sure the pay-TV piracy issue will continue to rage in the coming years. Knowing the wisdom of pirates, it is only a matter of time when they can find ways to beat digitization and other systems being put in place by pay-TV companies. "Pay-TV piracy can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far." Thus, the industry might just have to embrace the problem and as much as possible try to limit its effect on it.

Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us