Cannot pick up local channels on Dish Network

Username: Jbklismith

Post Number: 1
We have set up dish 500 at our home and cannot pick up the local channels from Wausau, Rhinelander, WI. (Channels 7, 9, 12, 55) We are getting all the other channels but not these...is there something we are doing incorrectly?

Gold Member
Username: Lomna

Sac, Calif U.S.A

Post Number: 1292
what you have ? recr ect...

Post Number: 2
DISH Network Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF (DPP Twin LNB) ES1670

Gold Member

Sac, Calif U.S.A

Post Number: 1293
What recr ???

Post Number: 3
Sorry...the reciever we have is the dp-301

and the satellite receiver is dishpro twin ku lnbf

everything I am reading is telling me to adjust the dish slightly...should I try this again, we tried adjusting once already and were able to get some lower channels, but still not local channels.

Gold Member

Sac, Calif U.S.A

Post Number: 1294
I'm struggling to understand you. My understanding is you are DN's customer. Right ? If yes.Did you try to talk to them about it? Looks like you need to subscribe those. Usually in the west coast we have local chnals on 110 and rest of them are 119. I'm not sure if thats the case in Rhinelander WI.BTW check lyngsat.com for the listing.
Now if all (including locals)chanl on one sat. You shouldn't have any problem with those.
Give me some details.

Silver Member
Username: Hshakarchi

Post Number: 325
Correct me if I am wrong, But I think I read somewhere that there is a ruling against DISHNETWORK that they should carry local channels back in june, so if you are a customer of DN you should call them and they will add your locals By law.

Silver Member
Username: Guru4u

El Centro, Cali Baby

Post Number: 295
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 19366
Hannibal has correctly pointed out the law. Here is an excerpt.

DISH Network to start offering local channels.
By Jenna Mink The Daily News, Bowling Green, Ky.
Publication: Bowling Green Daily News (Kentucky)
Date: Wednesday, June 2 2010

Jun. 2--Starting Thursday, some Bowling Green residents will have more options when they turn on their TVs.
Satellite provider DISH Network is expanding its Bowling Green services, offering local channels WBKO-ABC, WNKY-CBS, WNKY-NBC and WBKO-FOX.
DISH Network will be the first satellite provider to offer local channels in the area, and the first to offer local satellite channels in every market in the United States, according to Francie Bauer, spokeswoman for DISH Network.
The expansion was made possible by the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act, which President Barack Obama signed into law last week.

The act modifies fees and rules regarding satellite providers, making it easier for providers, like DISH Network, to offer local channels.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19367
Here is another refernce to the new law.
PR Newswire - ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 27
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., May 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- DISH Network L.L.C., the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in America, today announced that it plans to launch local broadcast channels in 29 new markets on June 3, 2010, becoming the first and only pay-TV provider to offer local channels to consumers in every market nationwide. The announcement comes moments after President Obama signed the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 (STELA) into law, which paved the way for DISH Network to take this historic step.
"We are proud to announce that every American will soon have access to their local channels from DISH Network," said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, President and CEO of DISH Network. "While our nearest competitor offers local channels in only 75 percent of local markets, DISH Network is committed to offering consumers in all markets -- particularly those living in smaller and rural communities -- a full complement of satellite TV services. All Americans, regardless of where they live, deserve access to key in-state news, sports, weather and other programming."
On June 3, DISH Network plans to launch local channels in 29 new markets, introducing to many consumers a choice in television service for the first time ever. These markets include: Alpena, Mich.; Biloxi, Miss.; Binghamton, N.Y.; Bluefield, W.Va.; Bowling Green, Ky.; Columbus, Ga.; Elmira, N.Y.; Eureka, Calif.; Glendive, Mont.; Greenwood, Miss.; Harrisonburg, Va.; Hattiesburg, Miss.; Jackson, Tenn.; Jonesboro, Ark.; Lafayette, Ind.; Lake Charles, La.; Mankato, Minn.; North Platte, Neb.; Ottumwa, Iowa; Parkersburg, W.Va.; Presque Isle, Maine.; Salisbury, Md.; Springfield, Mass.; St. Joseph, Mo.; Utica, N.Y.; Victoria, Texas; Watertown, N.Y.; Wheeling, W.Va.; and Zanesville, Ohio.
The passage of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act of 2010 was made possible through the hard work and dedication of many members of Congress, including Chairman Patrick Leahy, U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary; Chairman Jay Rockefeller, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation; Senator John Kerry, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation; Chairman John Conyers, U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary; Chairman Henry Waxman, U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee; and Chairman Rick Boucher, U.S. House Energy Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet.
"For far too long, consumers in many small or rural markets didn't have access to their local news, weather and sports. One of the principal goals of the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act was to encourage local television to be made available to all consumers via satellite," said Chairman John Conyers, U.S. House Committee on the Judiciary. "Implementation of the legislation will help make television markets more competitive, and serve the interests of consumers nationwide."
"My major goal in reforming the Satellite Home Viewer Act has been to bring to all 210 local television markets across the nation what we call local-into-local television service through which local TV signals are transmitted by satellite to homes in the market where the TV stations are located," said Chairman Rick Boucher, U.S. House Committee on Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications,
Technology, and the Internet. "Today, we have taken the final step in achieving this long held goal, and as a result, satellite TV subscribers everywhere will soon be able to receive both national programming and the local TV stations that serve their area. With today's presidential signature, on June 3, DISH Network plans to begin serving the many rural markets that lack vital local TV signals. I want to commend the leadership of DISH Network for making this commitment. Millions of homes in America's most rural regions will be the beneficiaries."

Silver Member
Username: Chaff

Post Number: 484

<!-quote-!>quote:<p>We have set up dish 500 at our home and cannot pick up the local channels from Wausau, Rhinelander, WI. (Channels 7, 9, 12, 55) We are getting all the other channels but not these...is there something we are doing incorrectly?</p><!-/quote-!>

your locals are at 129w

Silver Member
Username: Ei_toro_the_great

Post Number: 186
dishconfused........We have set up dish 500 at our home and cannot pick up the local channels from Wausau, Rhinelander, WI.

Is your home located in Wausau, WI?
What Satellite are you pointed to?

(DISH Network Satellite Local TV Channels
Your area Local Channels from DISH Network satellite TV today. ... Tyler, TX; Waco, TX; Washington, DC; Wausau/Rhinelander, WI;Channels 7, 9, 12, 55)

Local channels are available for $5.00/month "Unless you choose a DVR Advantage Package which they are included in at no extra cost."
Includes HD local channels where available

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14436
After the fun bunch closed all other satellites sites, they are back to close eCoustics!

We will not let those troublemakers doing it!!!!

Silver Member

El Centro, Cali Baby

Post Number: 298
We will not let those troublemakers doing it!!!!

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19376
Plymouth: They are out again to make more trouble. Please do what you can to shut them up.

Silver Member

El Centro, Cali Baby

Post Number: 300
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Lk_lives_______

Post Number: 97
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Apple_bee

Post Number: 22