so any tought ?

Bronze Member
Username: 5355

Post Number: 46
yes Can you bypass the pc to use majic jack

Silver Member
Username: Mrgreg

Post Number: 525
I hardly think so as it was meant to use with the internet.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4549
Actually yo could
But yo have to connect to an IPTV base unit that accepts USB and runs the MJ software
I'm working on a solution that can do both IPTV and magic jack with no PC
It will require Java Script API which I can get from MJ
I was able to clone MJ on my laptop without the device itself
But yo'll have to use headset and a mic

I started to use ooma (I love it)
It's about $200 and doesn't need PC and allows yo to roll over yor existing number
Ooma is the way to go
Excellent quality, day and night difference when compared to MJ
It costs $12 per year no monthly fees
NO PC required and yo can take with yo any where that has internet

I was the first to introduce MJ to ecoustics
And i always support any fine electronics product out there
Ooma is the best VOIP FTA product period
take it from King to the bank

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 19229
Hi King Tapeman - Haven't heard from you for a while.
I think Net talk TK 6000 is a better buy, because it will allow you to connect directly to your internet. You do not need a computer on. The quality is a bet superior particularly as it does not inherit any of the inadequacies of your computer. Price is higher at $100 for lifetime.

Silver Member
Username: Kbox

Post Number: 215
New HP Thin Client T5710 1.2GHz 512/512 magicJack Ready

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4550
Hi Nalin
I'm always around
The TK6000 is a good product better than MJ don't get me wrong
But ooma is much much moore superior product
It even allows yo to pick a specific area code

For example
In NY i can pick 718 or 516 area code
I can pick first 6 digits
716-200-xxxx
Just like that

Also it comes with a built in amazing external answering machine
Yo can block specific callers or specific area codes
The voice quality as good as verizon
And much more

Silver Member
Username: Mrgreg

Post Number: 526
How does that work for Canadians or does it.

Platinum Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 16383
How can anybody say either one is better than the other without actually using all of em at your own home on your own internet!

and if any device requires the internet, I suspect ya got a puter attached to it as well..

I have a Magic jack (MJ)...it works great on 1 puter and internet and not so good on another..so many variables with all these VOIP (voice over ip) devices..my MJ works great (perfect clarity always) on a cheap 12 yr old puter (win 98..256 ram) with cable internet (8mb), and sucks (echo...dropped calls..etc) with a new puter (xp and vista..4g) and verizon Fios internet (15 mb)....and no programs running in the background or many windows open on either.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19232
"How can anybody say either one is better"
I come with the background of using VOIP since year 2001 and have gone through about 7 devices and 9 routers. Unlike you I attempt to learn from others' and my own experience.
They don't teach all this in the Ph.D. in profanity courses.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4551
I tried all 3 products
I don't own TK6000 but my brother has net talk which is same thing
- MJ (too many packet drop out) 70% reliable Call any where US and Canada requires a PC at all time lowest price of any VOIP
- TK6000 less packet drop out 85% reliable can call any where US and Canada no PC required Yo can't roll over an existing number not the best for fax
- Ooma 99% reliable yo can roll over yor existing number for $40 one time peer routing yo can call anywhere in the US no Canada at this time excellent for home, office, business, fax etc.
With additinal softwre purchase yo can have one number rings to 10 different phones at once and can block specific area code or numbers
Has a built in hardware answering machine and many other powerful features

There are so may VOIP products
Ooma is the real deal
Get Ooma and dump yor phone company and yo will be thanking me

Ooma is a Japanese company they came out around same time as MJ but had too many issues drop out calls, people didn't hear each other etc.
They let me try the white model 3 years ago
it sucked big time
But the new one the black called Talo is the one to buy
Better than vonage
Trust me get rid of yor existing phone company i personally gurantee it

Yo'll understand ooma better in about 2 years from now

Silver Member
Username: Tulipe

Post Number: 287
king welcome back brother. and thanx to all of you for sharring this experience .
0oma how this works? do u have to buy one time to product ? do you have a web i can see how this works. does it work from any internet like mj aroubd the world ? do i need a phone besides the devise like mj or it's already phone and devoce in one .?
im looking for anything that dont need a computer just plague it to the router and here we go .
thanx guys

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
oh sorry one more thing. i dont wanna see any charge monthly. im loking for one time buy and tha's it . i had before vonage is rip off . i have mj that i use if i travel overseas. but i wanna send my family something without mounthly payment that they can hook the fone all the time and not using computer . thanx all

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16387
if its VOIP , ya need the internet..if ya have the internet, why not have a cheap computer hooked to it?...VOIP is the way and the future, but again as i said, there are so many variables with different internet servers and computers that ya need to try em all to see which works best for U at your main home...what works good for u, may not work well for another...I travel alot in hotels and have a few homes at various locations and in some places my MJ is great, and other places it sucks..so start off with the MJ for $20 a year (cheapest one of em all) , and go from there, if you're using it at home ....worse case scenario, u can always use it as a 2nd line, cuz it will works at least 50% of the time in a bad setting..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19235
cccccccccccccc: First of all you don't need a computer on with most voip services. Only MagikJack requires that (maybe one or two others). Majikjack is by far the cheapest service there is and after 3 years it seems to have stabilized. beware that next year they might jack up the yearly charge.
Vonage is considered most reliable and probably the most expensive service. There are many many services with a small monthly charge for free calls to America. some give you that for a yearly charge.
To buy a ATA independent of the VOIP provider you can
look at the voipsupply site
Linksys PAP 2 NA is very reliable and it is now owned by Cisco. You can attach two number to it. I have a UK number and a US number attached to mine. I have another with two numbers (Canadian and Italian). These two Pap 2s occupy two slots of my router outputs. Two computers are attached to two slots of the router. The computers can stay shut. The phones are all standard remote phones. The bases are near the Pap 2s.
Depending upon the Voip service provider, you get a free phone number. You can also pay $2-3 per month to get a phone number of your choice.
Companies like Magicjack provide a number and the USB gizmo which is to be considered inferior to the Ethernet connection provided by company like NetTalk TK6000.
The TK6000 advertises that you can call USA for free for the life of the phone - take that with a pinch of salt. Many companies start off like that and then they eother fail or put a price on your number. If they get a lot of paid International calls they might be able to keep the free USA service.
sipgate.com is a long established German supplier and is making its debut in the US market (last 8-12 month).

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
nydas thanx . LK ofcourse we are talking about voip it's internet world .
why i opened this thread?
just to see if i can use mj same way other devises use the internet phones without using a pc. i dont need a solution saying biying cheap computer and conect it to mj . tha;s not what im looking for.
i used lingo and vonage . both rip off and low quality besides are too expensive and ver sleekyyy . they charge me 1600 dolars for international call to europ that are suposed to be free.if u call landline number. never paied them never got it in my credit report.
all these fazz ifs for my family i sent them mj but if threy r not conected to the computer i can not talk unless wait for then to turn on the pc.

mj is good cuz is cheap and good for traveling to keep in touch with poeple without paying and even if im overseas. but not having it as main line.

king: i asked about tk6000 i hade to pay 99.95 for the devise and 29.99 every year. is that correct ?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16393
Amazing... just leave the computer on 24/7...why shut it off and on?...whats the big deal about a cheap used computer?....the main cost is in the monthly internet charges, NOT the one time initial buy of computer that half the world already owns...

Can't u read and click on the link above in BLUE writing?..where does it say $29.99 every year?...are U new to reading and English?...are U or "they" too cheap to leave a computer on all the time, or buy a used one for $50....buy 2 MJ's ($40 a year), 1 for U, and 1 for them so they can call you when they want....are U doing schrooms?...

Silver Member
Username: Krishn

Post Number: 287
LK - are your eyes OK? See the video when you click the link for TK600 it clearly says no annual charges.

Nalin was right when he posted $100 lifetime and take it with a pinch of salt - meaning they are still around

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19241
To leave an "old computer on " all day and night costs about $6-20 per month in electricity. The newer the computer the less the electricity cost in general.
Right now TK6000 is one $100 charge. Local and long distance (USA) are free if you buy now. There will be charge for long distance outside of Noerth america.
OOma suggested by King costs $200 and has a yearly charge of $30 or so.
If you want a Voip service with free to most countries , you are looking at about $22-30 per month, unlimited calling.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
"If you want a Voip service with free to most countries , you are looking at about $22-30 per month, unlimited calling."

Only if you want to call the phone in another country. From US one can get vonage for $25.99 with unlimited calls to India,

However you cannot get unlimited international calling from Vonage Canada to India, it is only to Europe and that too at $39.99 per month. To add to the cost 13% HST from today if you live in Ontario.

If you have a friend or relative in US, they can get it for you in their name, the disadvantage is you will have a US number and not a local Canadian number.

You can get Skype to call phones and you can also have the Skype phone connected to the router directly. It costs $2.95 per month to call any phone in US and Canada. The call quality in Skype is way better than Magic Jack.

If your usage is not heavy then you can use Reliance for Instance to call India - it is just 2.49 cents from Canada and 1.99 cents from US. I bet for every country the prices range around 2 cents per minute from various providers.

Of course since most people have Internet connection, almost all people I know for international calls make a short phone call initially and then switch to Skype or yahoo messenger to have voice or video chats.

The choices are quite a few, however in terms of quality I have not come across a VOIP that matches Skype quality.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4552

quote:

New HP Thin Client T5710 1.2GHz 512/512 magicJack Ready

K-box quoted other devices that accepts MJ with no PC
Like I said Ooma is a completely different class VOIP
Costs more but worth evey dollar
No monthly fees only $12 per year
Must be wired directly to RJ45 to internet, no PC at all
you can buy it from best buy or browse to www.ooma.com to find in available stores

FYI
packet dropouts due to traffic high volume on internet gateways and your internet speed
Ooma has a very sophesticated forward error correction to repeat certain packets and go around bad packets as you are using public internet to avoid monthly fees
very smart solution
Phone Companies like Verizon, Comcast, Cablevision
They use reserved bandwidth so they have to charge monthly fees

So in my opinion
Ooma is the best free to air VOIP to call anywhere in the US on the market
Ooma is 99% reliable to any VOIP company that charges monthly fees
Just try one and come back to thank me

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19243
Subhash: Vonage is not the only Voip provider.
Here is a worldwide list

Here is a list of over 200 Canadian prviders.

Here is a list of over 1000 USA providers.

I cannot accept or deny King's claim of the superiority of OOMA device as opposed to TK6000 device. At present I am going by the specs of MagicJack and TK600 and of the two the TK6000 is a better buy for US customers and Majikjack is better for Canadians because it allows a Canadian telephone number.

As I said in the earlier post, one can look around and get a US provider who will give you a Canadian number, or allow you to connect a US/Canada/UK number to your Voip service. The permutations and combinations are endless.

I researched the gizmos about 3 months ago, and found only 3 unique gizmos we have discussed above. The rest are straightforward service providers and you can buy the ATAs from them or from other sources. I listed voipsupply.com above where you can find all kinds of ATAs

It would take days for anybody to do a detailed study of the providers and their charges. Earlier, I just gave some rough estimates so one can look at a provider and be able to say that that service is cheaper or more expensive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
LK u r an idiot. i live in the us. the family somewhere in the world where the energy is so expensive. leaving a pc on 24/7 will cost fortune .
we are trying to save not getting fucked. LK DO ME A FAVOR each time you jump on thread it's stinks mannnn did you stop your med. ???? stop using the red pills use the green one the doctor prescribe for you .

every single one here was very respectful and helpful but lk damnnnnnn.

plz ignore him and keep chating about our subject thanx all .

tk6000 i called them i was told to pay 99.95 for the unit and 29.99 every year ,

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
LK CALL TK6000 AND YOU WILL HEAR FROM THEM 29.99 A YEAR BESIDES THE UNIT FOR 99.95 DAMYYYYY

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19245
$30 per year for free calls to USA/Canada translates to $3.00 per month. I can't find the Canadian service right now but there is a couple of Canadian services that offer free Canda for $3/month.
The device you buy from Nettalk is a ATA device with phonme number for life included in the price.
One of the oldest established services is Lingo. Look at it too. Their marketing and pricing structure is more traditional.
As to electricity costs on keeping the computer on with MagicJack, I have a partial solution which I am seriously considering. A couple of years ago Royal bank had a promotion and gave away a small laptop for opening in account. It is only about 6" x 4" x 3' and has two USB ports. There is Linux on it. I could buy a MajikJack and keep this device on all the time, but I am not sure if I will be required to load Windows on the computer. King and ccccccccccccc - any thoughts?

Silver Member

Post Number: 289
Nalin - your question is to run on Linux it is possible, however not simple and few glitches as well. Read the posts at the following URL, since I have not tried it on Linux

http://www.magicjacksupport.com/using-magicjack-on-linux-f15.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19247
Subash: Thanks for the pointer. It seems people have tried two methods of using magikJack with Linux.
1. Using Linux with Asterix (a free Voip server) and other software. Most of these experiments ended in failure, and if success it was as a softphone.
2. The other approach was using virtualization such as VMWare or Virtualbox. The approach is too precarious and there are many problems using virtualization software. My main concern is that the application (Using MajikJack phone) is very simple and using virtualization you are complicating things to the Nth degree. The people who suceeded only acheived it on their screen.
The whole purpose of buying a MagicJack is to sit comfortably in a sofa and talk for a long time. Even if one accepts the cable connection to USB port, one accepts it as a nuisance. I certainly have no intention of sitting at a computer talking - I have at least three totally free Voip services and software to let me do it for free accross to others accross the world with similar setup.
The whole purpose of buying a Majicjack is to have a real phone number which people can dial into and I can dial out of without being attaached to my computer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Nalin - you are right you don't want to sit on the computer to talk. Two essential things for convenience are: cordless phone to talk freely from anywhere and having to be connected directly to router and not to computer.

That's the advantage of Skype plan. if kids have a PSP it can work as a phone from either your wireless router at home or from a wifi hot spot. Few skype cordless phones work with other end connected to router.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19248
I don't think you get a physical regular phone number with Skype.
For a typical Pay-As-You-Go service in Canada, you pay about $24/year for the phone number and about 1.7 cents/min to UK/US/Canada. To India, the price varies a lot - from 2.6 cents to 10 cents a minute. At present I find raza.com card as a good cheap calling card for calls to India- particularly to Mobile phones in India.

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
You can get physical number - they call it online number for $60 per year half if you also have subscription so it is $30 per year.

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 7180
i switched to vonage wirelsess 4 years ago
90% of time..its working with great sound...

Username: Bolero

Walnut, CA United States

Post Number: 3
There's a work around KING TAPEMAN. Mine working flawlessly configure with my DD-WRT router. Here's the link http://www.magicjacksupport.com/ddwrt-version-of-mjmd5-t6913.html

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19249
Jadoy Luceno: Thanks for the link. I looked at the posts and the whole process as posted is too daunting.
There must be a simpler way to run a MajikTalk directly from router (Ethernet to USB inteligent adpator of some kind).
Anyway the discussion is really educational for me.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Guru4u

El Centro, Cali Baby

Post Number: 256
Jadoy Luceno Thanks for the link and it is very easy to use///my 3 yr old grandchild figured it out!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Magic Jack is least expensive however if you look up the internet blogs and their fine print they can discontinue your service for excessive usage, no money back.

"If magicJack sees excessive use, including but not limited to, a customer whose usage is twenty (20) times more than the average magicJack's customer's usage, or a customer who calls more than 50 different telephone numbers per day, or systematic or intentional misuse, it reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate your use of the magicJack device and/or Software immediately, and you will not be entitled to get a refund of any licensing fee or any other fee you may have paid to us."

Magic Jack does not publish what is the average usage, let alone publish and update it frequently as they should. That's why many BBB complaints and legal actions.

Skype has 6 hours a day limit, 10,000 minutes a month and 50 numbers a day limit as well. At least well defined

Magic Jack has bad call quality if your computer has wireless connection to the router, it is OK if your computer is connected by ethernet to the router.

Caller ID displays both on computer and your phone only sometimes, often it fails to display on phone

Call waiting ID appears only on the soft phone on the computer and never on the phone.

It is really inconvenient if you are away from your computer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us