Black bars on left and right sides --HELP!

Alan D
Thought I would post this on this forum as well..

Just got a completely new entertainment system and am having two issues. First my equipment:

SONY KF-50WE610 50 Grand WEGA LCD
Yamaha DVDC740 5-disc DVD player
Yamaha RXV730 6.1 Receiver
Mirage Omnisat in a 6.1 configuration
Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer

All video is component connected
All audio is optically connected

My DVD issue is I cant seem to get a 16:9 movie to play normally. What I mean is it fills the screen top to bottom but there are black bands left and right. I have verified that the DVD setup is on 16:9 and I also select the 16:9 feature on the movie. I also selected 4:3 to make sure that something screwy wasnt going on and it then plays framed on all 4 sides with black bands.

Now, I can make the picture fill the screen with on of the zoom/stretch functions on my monitor, but this should play in natural 16:9 so there is no picture stretching.

Second problem is I have horizontal lines ghosting across the monitor. They are really easy to see on a solid background (blue), and they can be seen during normal viewing as well though they appear less prevalent.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

As a note, I am running all power connections into Monsters HTS 2000 (which has stage 2 ac filters.)

Thanks in advance,
Al

installguy
sounds like your 16;9 monitor has a 4:3 mode to display regular 4;3 tv without streching. this is to be used only for 4:3 480i or 480P tv. some monitors mis-lable the formats. the mode you want should be called "full" some tv's call it stretched,16x9,anamorphic,wide,natural. these are all the same. the idea is... the picture that is put on a dvd must fit in a 4;3 ratio. dvd records in 4;3 ntsc. for a widescreen dvd, the 16;9 picture must be compresed into a 4:3 ratio. when you play it back on a 16:9 tv , the tv must stretch the picture to fit the 16:9 screen. and the picture will be widescreen again. be carefull, there are still some cheap dvds that are recorded in leterbox. this means the picture was not compresed to a 4:3 format. they just recorded the black bars top and bottom of the screen and called it widescreen. if you have one of these dvds you will have to use the zoom modes to get rid of the black bars. same with non hd pay per view from satalight leterbox movies. look at the dvd ,if is says "anamorpic" or "enhanced for widescreen" it can be played without any ratio adjustment of the tv. as long as the dvd player is set at 16:9 non letterbox. keep in mind the movie may be wider than 16:9, you will still see some blackbars. this is normal. the only thing that is real 16;9 is hdtv,disney movies,old movies,ect.
as for the horizonal lines in the picture (blue), sounds like you are geting copyprotecton. is your dvd hooked up through the vcr? if so this may be the problem. if not see if you can see it with another dvd player. it may be a problem with your monitor.

Alan D
Install Guy:

I do appreciate the response. I understand completely and thank you for taking the time to help me out.

My new DVD is connected directly to my monitor, but I have another player to isolate the problem. Thanks again.

Al

WHEN WATCHING SPORTS SHOWS ON MY SONY 57 INCH WIDESCREEN , SCORES SHOWN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN CANT BE FULLY SEEN TO READ UNLESS YOU ARE VIEWING IN 4.3. WOULD GETTING AN HDTV RECEIVER FIX THIS?

I AM HAVING TOUBLE HOOKING UP DVD RECORDER, AND SURROUND SOUND.CAN YOU TELL ME HOW THIS SHOULD HOOK UP? I HAVE 57"SONY WIDESCREEN , PANASONIC DMR-E50 RECORDER AND AMPHION MEDIAWORKS T352 SURROUND. I DONT UNDERSTAND THE SEQUENCE AND CANT MAKE THE SURROUND SPEAKERS WORK WHILE WATCHING TV SHOWS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

skn
Unregistered guest
I bought a Amphion MediaWorks T352 home theater system but the Sub-Woofer does not work. I checked the wires and they are hooked properly on the back of the DVD/Theater System (hts) (subwoofer input)- But when I plug the subwoofer wires into any of the other inputs then it works fine -- Is my dvd/hts subwoofer inputs defective ? or am I doing something wrong ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us