Hooking up the wf to my desktop xp pro

Bronze Member
Username: Zhetti4me

Post Number: 15
I have xp pro on a desktop, and get my internet thru wifi from within my neighborhood. Could someone tell me how to hook up my wf thru my desktop eternet port that I can hook up to my wf to viewsat Ultra. I know it has to more than just plugging rj45 cable from the desktop to the wf.
Thanks for any help, or link that I might find.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 14001
Pat

You must do a bridge in your internet connection, do a google search to know how made it!

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 18967
1. Access Point. Your PC can get wireless signals and you can go ont he internet using that connectionbecause inside your PC you have a wireless Access Point, e.g. a small PC card that accepts wireless signals. You ,ight even see a smal antenna about 3' long at the back of your computer.
2. You can use the same available wireless signals by buying a separate wirelss access point. Some of the newer wireless routers can also act as wireless access points. The Belkin wireless router I bought about 6 months ago for under $40 can be set up as a wireless access point. If you had that router, you can use it independent of your computer and connect it to your receiver. That makes two separate connections to the wireless signals available in your neighbourhood.
3. If you have an additional wirelss card inside your computer, you have to set up a bridge as Plymouth has suggested. The weakness of that setup would be that you will have to have your computer on all the time when you want to use the TV receiver.. The method described in 2 above is much better.

Bronze Member
Username: Zhetti4me

Post Number: 16
Because I am using a 45 dbi antenna, I decided to just use a spare dell computer, and bridge the usb wifi, and my nick. Works good. I got a Cisco N wifi router today, and now I have wifi to my other laptops. I am pulling a signal around 1 mile away, and get usually between 12 and 14 mbps, so I am happy.
Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us