Archive through July 07, 2007

Username: Joshuaian

San Antonio, Texas USA

Post Number: 4
I just got a sharp aquos and it will not turn on. Unfortunaltely I got it from e-bay and it has no warranty. All I get is a red flashing power light and no picture. Anyone have any ideas or seen this before. Thanks

Greg Yacoub
Unregistered guest
Yesterday morning I tried turning on my aquos. I heard the relay click, the power button then turned green followed by another click. At this point the power light started flashing red and of course no picture ever came up. Tried again in the early evening. It worked! Tried again this morning and same story... flashing power light and no picture. Tried it again in the evening and the damn thing came up just fine. Nothing in the manual about this symtom. Only thing I can think of is temperature. The mornings have been quite cool (around 65F) while the early evenings have been rather warm. If this is the reason, then I think my set is defective. If not, then maybe I have dirty power. Am using a lame surge protector and I know these systems are rather finicky when it comes to the AC feed.

Username: Justfig

Maynardville, TN USA

Post Number: 2
I have a new 26" Aquos and in the manual it tell you what to do if the set does not power up. I quote "Press SYSTEM RESET if the TV does not operate after starting up." Also, under troubleshooting, it states that an increase in the internal temperature will cause a power problem. It says to make sure nothing is covering the vents. Not sure this helps but thought I'd mention it.

JF

dondada73
Unregistered guest
i just bought a LC-32D4U a couple of weeks ago and i'm having picture resolution problems. broadcasts look blurry/pixalated. I've already had my HDTV cable box replaced,adjusted picture settings, Sharp replaced TV's system board, checked/replaced all cables and the image in my mind is still unacceptable for a $1600 TV. My old 27" JVC tube TV looks much better. anyone know what i may be missing here?

Kevin in Menlo
Unregistered guest
I had a weird problem with my 32 inch Aquos (2 yr. old) turning on then off again with the flashing red. I traced it to a physical issue on the back of the set. My set was wall-mounted and if I tightened one of the wall mount screws that held the LCD to the wall mount too much the set would turn off - could hear the relay click off. I could also reproduce by pressing moderately hard (enough to depress the casing just a little) on a small area on the back of the set. Definitely worth trying - just play with area upper right mounting hole (I think that was the troublemaker). Ended up loosening the mounting screew and it runs fine now.

Username: Ranpaco

San Cristobal, Tachira Venezuela

Post Number: 1
Hi, I've the same problem, my aquos no turn on, only the damn red light is flashing , when I press the power button, red light is off about 10 seconds, and soon it flashing again. anyone resolve this problem??

Username: Silverguy

Big cable card issues with Sharp Aquos! I bought 2 sets,LC32D4U & LC37D4U, mounted on wall, and had Comcast come out to install cable cards.
After six (6)!! service technicians & one sharp rep couldn't figure out how to get cable card to work, I threw in the towel and had the dealer take them back for Toshiba (coming tomorrow)Apparantley, there are issues that Sharp will not admit to. Anyone have same problem?

Username: Chris1213453

hi,I have a Sharp Aquos lc-15b6u and on certin channels I get a blank,black rectangle appear on the bottom of the screen approx.4 inch by 8 inch ,it goes away during a commercial then reappears during the show,has this happened to anyone???

Username: Egbert82

Thread: Picture Quality Stinks w/HDTV cablebox

Eric Gregory Bert
Username: Egbert82

Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 09:19 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently purchased a 32 inch Sharp Aquos (32D6U). Once Cablevision installed the HD box, I noticed a couple that the picture quality on many channels (including some of the HD ones) was substandard. Often, the hotter colors (red, orange, pink, etc) were too hot. Women wearing lipstick would bleed into their face. Funny part is this does not occur in all channels - our FOX and ABC are bad, yet the NBC appears to be OK. All DVDs played do NOT have this problem. It also seems like the channel problem is worse at night (House looked orange!) I've tried to adjust the picture, but to no avail. I guess the question is, is it the TV or the cablebox?

Pain
Unregistered guest
I just bought an LC26d6u aquos TV. Worked fine for 1 day, then the next morning it would power on, then go off imediately and the blue power LED blinks. Unplug it, or do a system reset, does the same thing. After 3 or 4 times of this it doesn't even try to power on and the LED just continues to flash.

I bought it on-line and so instead of retuning it I take it to a repair center. Still waiting to hear back. It's a Christmas gift for my wife, so it looks like I'll have to give her a picture of the TV instead.

Username: Marciar

MINNESOTA USA

I have a Sharp Aquos LC 13E1U TV (2 yrs.)and am experiencing a black rectangle along the bottom of the screen. It appears on only about 5 channels. It comes on after the TV has been on a few minutes and does not go away.
Any suggestions! Thanks.

Username: Anglebird

I have a Sharp 37" Lc37db5u tv only 2 months old. I'm experiencing destortion line on the bottom of the tv. This happens quiet frequently and is very noticable. These lines come and go and now I am disappointed with my purchase. Does anyone experience these horizonal lines? This even happen playing DVD's.

smadA
Unregistered guest
Angelbird, I have the same issue with my LC37DB5U purchased 5 days ago. A horizontal "line" occasionally appears about 1/4 from the bottom of the screen. I've only noticed it on signals into the Component inputs(XBox, DVD). My friend has the same tv with the same problem.

RTFM
Unregistered guest
For everyone that has a lower screen size Sharp LCD with the black box on 2/3 of the screen, STOP PRESSING BUTTONS ON YOUR REMOTE. You need to press the CC button over and over until it says OFF on your screen. Black box = Text mode ... RTFM (look it up if you dont know what RTFM means)

Use Your Head
Unregistered guest
For all of you who have the "red lights flashin" you need to call Sharp and expect a wait time to hold for their repair department. They will take care of your problem for sure, but at the moment they are extremely busy and there is a hold time. The red lights flashing are a service indicator, something that you cant take care of in your home.

Unregistered guest
just after getting a new 32" tv.problem with it is that every so often the picture freezes but i can still hear the volume in the back round.has anyone else had this probblem

Anonymous

Does anyone have a lcd with a cable card and gets all there channel line up?My Sharp 32d7u will not read the cable card.Cranston(cox cable)

Anonymous

We purchased a Sharp 26" Aquos which worked fine for about a week with a cable card and utilizing component 1 for our DVR then component 1 went out. We exchanged the TV and had the same problem on the 2nd set within 5 minutes of installing the new cable card. Sharp denies any knowledge of a problem of this type. Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
I also have a horizontal distortion line ~¼ from the bottom on my LC-37db5, especially using component output.
Please help!

Sick of It
Unregistered guest
We bought a 37" Aquos television on Dec. 31. I get no picture, just audio, when the tv is on a digital station, set in Mode 2 and you are turning it on. All I get with the audio is a black screen. I have called Sharp on this. After some programming it still does not work. And the remote doesn't work, either. I have also had problems just turning off the tv with either the remote or the power button on top of the set.
It's going back to Sears this friday. Way too expensive to keep messing with.
RRD

Anonymous

http://news.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=574431#POST574431

We have a new Sharp Aquos 26" LCD with a cable card from COX which works on all expected channels. It isn't magic though. Due to other problems with our TV we have had to have cable cards installed 3 different times. In each case, the first card they installed was bad. In 2 of the cases the cox person had to make multiple visits to get the card that was good, the TV and Cox all working together. The last instance required the COX person to make 2 visits with a total of 6-7 hours work and the problem was the card wasn't 'paired' correctly with the business office. I have no idea what that means but that was my husband's response.

Unregistered guest
Just purchased 37 inch. Plugged in power light (green) comes on for about 10 seconds, then powers off for about 5 seconds, then powers on for 10 seconds, then powers off for good. if I hit the power on it goes thru the same (on-off-on-off). While it is on i can not bring up any menue, source or anything on the screen. Help

Anonymous

I recently bought two LC-26D4U 26" Sharp Aquos LCD HD tv's. Shortly after the purchase I started having power issues. Sometimes, when the tv's are in power-saving startup mode and with the power off, I will come back to the TV's after awhile and the blue light will be on. Hitting the power button on the remote or on the TV does not turn the TV on - nor does it turn the TV off. To get the TV to work again, I have to unplug it and turn it back on. In quick start-up mode, one of the TV's will literally turn itself on. On two separate occasions, I would wake up in the middle of the night from the light of the TV that had turned itself on. Has anybody else out there experienced similar problems? Thanks!

R Gallo
Unregistered guest
I bought a sharp LC-37D4U from amazon and recieved it about 2 weeks ago. Since the first day I got the set I have had bizarre power related problems. If I leave the set off, but plugged into my surge protector it turns itself on but frozen. The set does not respond to any buttons on the remote or the unit itself and must be unplugged to shut off and work again. I have come home to the "undead" tv 5 times in 2 weeks. I called sharp and I am now waiting for a service technician (expect a 3+week wait for service). As you know I cannot return it to amazon so any problems need to be serviced only. Has anyone else had these problems?

Username: Guyinreno

I have an Aquos LC-32G4U that has worked great for months. except now there is a huge rectangular section of the screen(about 8 inches across stretching from top to bottom of screen) that wont get reception. it just flashes virtical lines that match the colors of what the actual reception should be. occasionally it will flash what is is actually supposed to show. It does this with all inputs. The warranty on this screen has run out and i dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP!!!

Username: Sheba93

Isn't it great, spend thousand(s)of dollars on these TV's that seem to be plagued with problems. I just purchases the Aquos LC-20B8U-s, well about a month ago. I'm having a couple of issues with it. I'm getting that black box on the screen, inside the box, their is a bunch of letters that are all scrambled, odd. Also, on and off, their is a clicking sound coming from the speakers. VERY annoying.
I may be returning this thing, especially after seeing all the problems you guys are having. Can someone recommend an LCD TV??

Anonymous

R. Gallo: I bought my TV from Amazon too, electronics express to be exact, and since they wouldn't accept returns on TV's larger than 22 inches, I had to have it repaired too.

As you can see from my post above, my TV died with a power failure after owning it for one day. It was repaired and returned to me on Dec 23. It worked for about 3 weeks, then died again with the same problem.

It is still in the shop, and I have been trying to find someone at Sharp to authorize a replacement TV, instead of just trying to repeatedly repair this lemon. Currently it has been in the shop longer [on 2 different times] than I have actually been able to use it.

Anonymous

R. Gallo: I bought my TV from Amazon too, electronics express to be exact, and since they wouldn't accept returns on TV's larger than 22 inches, I had to have it repaired too.

As you can see from my post above [username PAIN], my TV died with a power failure after owning it for one day. It was repaired and returned to me on Dec 23. It worked for about 3 weeks, then died again with the same problem.

It is still in the shop, and I have been trying to find someone at Sharp to authorize a replacement TV, instead of just trying to repeatedly repair this lemon. Currently it has been in the shop longer [on 2 different times] than I have actually been able to use it.

HIPAR
Unregistered guest
When I was visiting my brother I was awakened in the middle of the night when his Sharp LC37D4U turned itself on.

I don't believe any of the power problems posted can be cured by the user.

Don't they test their designs in the lab before releasing them into production? There seems to be a major problem with anything hitech. Designs change so often that they do not mature.

--- CHAS

CaptinCrunch
Unregistered guest
ATTN:

All Sharp Aquos owners please view the posted thread about the current problems with the D4/5/6/7U models. Those of you with power failures, There was another issue that you guys never picked up on that affected 5,000 sets. A capacitor was miss-marked from the factory. The stamp on the component said 100uf and it was actually 10uf. Caused all kinds of power issues. They come in 5,000 unit rolls for the auto insertion machines.

If you own a Sharp Aquos *D4/6U Model and have been having any of the following problems:

1. Unit turning itself on/off at random times
2. Unit locking up and fails to respond to remote or set-top butons, unit must be unpluged and plug in again to get set to respond.

Please contact Sharp at 1-800-BE-SHARP (237-4277) and report the problem, Sharp will give you a Case # that you will need if any service is to be needed or done.

Sharp has released a firmware fix/upgrade as of 2/27/05 to try and correct these issues. I have already received this firmware upgrade as of 2/28/06, from my local Official Sharp Repair Center but have yet had time to really monitor my set for any improvement. Below is a link to the AVSfourms where you can post on any of these issues you may be having with your Unit. The thread is monitored by a Sharp Rep (Mike53 The Sharp Guy) and he will be glad to help anyone as much as he can.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647174&page=3

t.v. pow
Unregistered guest
I have an Aquos 30" LC-30HV4U, bought in 2004. A few weeks ago I noticed a shadow of the "sidebar" on the left hand side of the screen while watching the TV in stretch mode. Anyone seen this? Thanks.

Username: Tanksta

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-26D4U. My problem is that my TV will turn itself on sometimes. In one case the TV could not be turned off using the remote or the TV off switch after watching a DVD. The TV can not be turned on ocassinally, and needs to be reset from the off switch from the power surge protector. Also, while I watch any DVD with the Smart Stretch, the TV will get chopped up up at the bottom of the screen about three inches up from the bottom, and it happens very often. With other modes that do not strech the image, the movie runs flawlessly. Terrestrial TV Chanels are fine and do not have that kind of problem.

I called today, and a sharp represenative said there is no known issue with the Sharp Aquos LC-26D4U model. She advised me to do a hard-reset using a paper clip on the bottom hole next to the three coax inputs. She also said that if the problem persists, then call back with the case number she provided me. I will post back with results. fingers crossed > ____ <

Username: Hotstuff619

San diego, California Usa

my toshiba hd dvd player should be arriving at my house by the end of this month...the display that i have is a 32in sharp aquos lcd...instead of purchasing a caliberation dvd such as "Avia", i was wondering if anyone can give me some recommendations on how to properly set up my hdtv so that the picture is crisp/colorful/and amazing to look at...for example: CONTRAST LEVEL-? SHARPNESS LEVEL-? TINT LEVEL-? BRIGHTNESS LEVEL-? and so on......any advice would be greatly appreciated

Post Number: 3
My Aquos would not turn on today, so I will need to call Aquos once again.

R Funiestas, some THX DVDs come with sound and visual adjustments. Monsters Inc and Nemo comes with with the THX enhancer stuff.

Good luck.

Username: Gkalpaki

Bloomington, IN United States

I need SHARP LC-13E1U for parts(i need the LCD display)if anyone want to sell a broken one please let me know!!!

Username: Clau30

Hi !
Subject problemes (Sharp Aquos Lc-37db5u)

Anybody have fund a solution for the problemes with distortion line on the bottom of the tv.I have also this trouble and anybody can help where i buy the unit!

I notice that this happen only when i watch a 4:3 signal with the mode smart fit ! Both tv and DVd !

If someone have a solution it will be appréciate beacause thi tv are just 1 month !

Also sorry for bad English i'm not familiar with !

Post Number: 5
Sharp said they have submitted my report for repair technician review. It has been a week now, and today I called them back to cheack on the status of review. Not much is known of the rieview right now. My TV has been turning on every few minutes this morning. It turned on so many times, I had to unplug it.

Username: Corey872

Just curious if anyone with the "red blinking power light" has has the set fixed or found a resolution? My 32GD6U began doing it today. If anyone has, I would love to find out what got replaced and cost, or any warranty extension.

Thanks,
Corey

Username: Winnoway

All,

I just bought a 20" Aquos last weekend. It was fine until last night when I noticed 2 channels {CBS, ABC] on which there was NO sound even though the picture was fine. On one channel, there was only a high-pitched continuous tone (sometimes-- not always). On CBS, there WAS sound, but ONLY for the commercials and local traffic news, not for the actual programs. These channels had both been fine that morning. Other TVs in my apartment building had no problems with these channels. We have Comcast cable TV. Does anyone have any ideas? do you think it is the television or the cable? Could I have inadvertently set something?

Also, I noticed that if I turn the TV off using the button on the TV itself, I cannot turn it back on with the remote. If I turn the TV off with the remote, this is not a problem. Is it meant to be this way?

Username: Captincrunch

Sharp has released another NEW firmware upgrade/fix in the form of Main version 1.12 and Monitor version 1.04 to once again try to correct the problems of the set's turning itself on/off and set's locking up and failing to responding to remote or set top buttons, set must be unpluged and pluged back in.

Sharp released a updated firmware V.1.09 & V.1.03 on Feburary 27, 2006 hoping it would correct the issues with the D4/6U models, however it was not the case.

If you are having any of the known issues listed above contact Sharp at 1-800-237-4277, ask for a case number and have Sharp schudel a firmware install ASAP.

The following threads have more info on the current problems with the Sharp D4\6U models.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...74&page=7&pp=30

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/164664.html

Username: Sf_girl

I wish I had read this before buying my Sharp LC32D4U. After a week of being on basic cable and going into the menu and skipping all the channels I don't watch, The guy at Comcast spent 2 hours trying to get a signal on the cablecard he installed and then told me it was working fine and that I would need to skip all the channels all over again. I get dozens and dozens of channels that are just blue screen. So I sit down and go back to the same place in the menu to skip channels except now the section is greyed out and Comcast said it was a Sharp problem but reading all these posts on CableCard problems, I bet Sharp is going to tell me I need to call Comcast. So I will take off another half day from work. I guess I should be greatful that my TV does not turn itself on in the middle of the night.

Post Number: 6
For those that have read my recent posts, I have not had spontaneous on/off problems for over a week now. I don't know why that is. I don't leave my remote controller pointing at the TV when it is not in use, and the problem went away, for now. Yes it's strange.

some follow-up --

My previous post describing problems of no sound on certain channels even though there was a picture -- it turns out it was my mistake. Somehow, I had set those channels to "SAP" (whatever that is) instead of "stereo". Once I set it back to stereo, the sound was fine. These TVs are too complicated.

Still haven't solved my second problem where I can't use the remote to turn oN the TV if it was last turned off using the button on the TV itself.

Username: Ajb128

I purchased a LC32D6U from my local dealer in December 2005. I was very happy with the picture and it worked great for about a month, then it started to intemittently act up. At first, it would periodically just lockup. The remote did nothing and the buttons on the set did nothing so I had to unplug it to turn it off. Then it started turning off and back on by itself. At first I thought it may have been the surge protector, so I replaced it. But the problems continued. Then it started turning itself on in the middle of the night. So I called the dealer and they sent out a technician. He tried to update the software and proceeded to kill the set altogether! Now I am waiting for a couple of new circuit boards to be replaced that will supposedly have the new software version already installed. Meanwhile I am looking at a dead $2500+ TV that is only 4 months old! Sharp has a serious problem that they should address with a product recall ASAP. I think anyone that has had a problem should also receive an automatic warranty extension. I am very concerned about the long term reliability of this TV. My Sony CRT is over 10 years old and I have never had a problem with it.

Post Number: 7
Yesturday I turn on the TV from the TV set and was not able to turn it off. When I pull the plug, and re-pluged it back in, the remote did not work. I had to unplug the tv and replug it again, I am going to have to call Sharp again. They told me they would call me back, but it has been a month!

Username: Benzo

i have a lc-30hv4u and my tv turns on but my AVC turns on and then shuts off... has anyone with similar problems find any solutions?

Hi,

does anyone out there have this problem? On my new 25" sharp, if I turn the TV off using the button on top of the TV itself, I cannot turn it on again using the remote. Everything else seems to work, and the remote will turn the TV on if it was used to turn it off. If anyone out there has a 25 inch model, could you test it and let me know? Not sure if it is supposed to be this way or not. Thanks!

Username: Elcarmen

United States

Does anyone experience a clicking issue on their Sharp? I just got my LC-37D40U 2 days ago and when the clicking occurs it is every few seconds but it doesn't always occur. Is this because the TV is new?

The other issue is that I don't have digital cable yet, but with the analog cable I have the picture quality is very fuzzy. Is this normal?

I can take the TV back to the place I bought it and get a store credit toward a Samsung. Does anyone out there recommend doing this while I can? Are the problems I am having precursors to bigger issues later?

Help!

Thanks

Post Number: 8
winnoway, contact sharp immediately and report the problem. They know what it is. They may ask you to do some reset procedures, and if that fails, they will give you a case number. You will eventually need to take it in for repair.

Call 1800 BE-SHARP

I am sending my TV in for repair tommorow. I hope things go okay, because Sharp told me they have a repair for that problem now.

Post Number: 9
I got the reciever and monitor firmware updated to 1.04 and 1.12 respectfully, and no parts replaced. It took 7 workings days to upgrade the firm ware.

I will post updates soon.

Post Number: 10
on/off problem seems to be solve, but I will need more time to tell.

Username: Sf_girl

Hi,
This message is for all Sharp D4U owners. I also have had 3 cable cards in my TV and each time Sharp and Comcast have blamed each other that they do not work correctly. The picture is great, but the channel skip function does not work. Finally after weeks and weeks of speaking to one technical person at Sharp after another and not giving up, the guy sat in front of the same TV in the Sharp Technical test studio, put in a Motorola cable card and he could see his channel line up. He then asked me to check the version of the cablecard I was using and come to find out I had a later version. So Sharp now knows that the Motorola cablecard that Comcast is using has compatibility issues with their TV's. They are working with Motorola and Comcast and will hopefully resolve this issue. Comcast told me that this is the only version of the Motorola cablecard they have ever used. They have never used an older model. I have 2 more weeks to turn the TV back into the dealer and I hope it gets resolved because this is a beautiful TV.

Username: Beckeresq

We have had nothing but problems with our Sharp LC45GD5u from the moment we bought it 4 months ago.
TV Guide On Screen does not work. "Sorry for the inconvenience'. "Oops, you need a software upgrade". "Uh,oh we need to take the set with us for a week or two to find out why the upgrade won't take."
This is the only Beta Test we've been involved in that has cost us over $3,500.00 and hours of our time.
Sharp has been totally non-responsive, that is, until we sued them. Details to follow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Problem seems to be solved, I have no problem. BUt to be honest, I feel the the monitor has become less sharp. Especially noticiable when watching HD channels.

Username: Groth12345

I also had the 1.12 and 1.04 firmware upgrades and it solved the on/off problem as well as the remote lock up. I don't feel the picture is anywhere as good as my Panny ED plasma on SD channels but on HD it is quite sharp. There is pixelation on movement which I think it unacceptable but all LCDs seem to have that. Also on SD, the pixelation seems to be much worse.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Actually I fixed the the picture problem. Setting the Sharpness to "0" fixed the picture. Sharpening the picture does not help the picture, it just causes jaggies.

Username: Massihk

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-32GA5U. I got it in April 2005. Never used it too much, but now when I am using it, there is a strange problem that does not go away. I have a 1.5" box with the letter "K" in it on the left side. It is with or without any devices connected even without Cable. Tried everything, tried reset, reset system, it always stays. Does anyone has any idea what the heck that may be. I am disappointed in the TV.

Username: Rkl

I purchased an LC-37D4u in November. For short periods of time it worked fine but most of the time when I watch any Live HD coverage such as baseball or basketball games my picture stutters a good portion of the time. So much so I can't even watch it without getting a headache. I have tried new cable boxes and an amplifier for my signal but still having the same issues. Anyone else have the problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Username: Butter

My Sharp Aquos LC-26DA5U just lost it's picture. I have sound but no picture. Sharp told me to reset but it clicks and nothing happens. I can see the flourescents in the back but the screen remains blank. I have unplugged for long periods of time with no success. TV is only 2 months old, and luckily under warranty. What can be causing this?

Username: Wesmd

Scottsdale, Az Usa

Last night my LC30DU, when turning on from the monitor switch, went on for 3-4 secs then made a snapping sound, died & I got a "burned diode" whiff from the unit. So, I know I need a repair of a component, but (out of warranty) where should I go & has anyone a rough idea of what I am in for? Thanks

Username: Wesmd

Scottsdale, Az Usa

Last night my LC30DU, when turning on from the monitor switch, went on for 3-4 secs then made a snapping sound, died & I got a "burned diode" whiff from the unit. So, I know I need a repair of a component, but (out of warranty) where should I go & has anyone a rough idea of what I am in for? Thanks

Username: Beckeresq

After suing Sharp, it finally elects to reimburse us for the defective LC45GD5u we bought six months ago. Biggest issue in the settlement is that Sharp wants the terms of the settlement to be kept confidential and does not want to be "disparaged" on the internet or otherwise. Are they kidding? Just to get your money back for a defective TV?

We finally received our check, and, as you can see, they gave up on their settlement demands.

Does Sharp have something it wants to hide? We already own two Sharp TVs, but will never buy another one of their products.

Username: Bmangan2

I have a 37 inch Sharp AQUOS LC-37G4U and have had it for a couple of years. Recently I have been experieincing some green colored bleeding of colors. It appears on both HD and non-HD programming as well as on DVD programs. It occurs after the TV has been on for a while no at start up. I've played with color temperature and everything else I can think of to no avail. Any ideas as to what is going on and remedies?

Username: Latebloom

Hi there...

...yikes...

Wish I had read these posts before purchasing my 32" Aquos in Dec. '05. It's been great, up until two nights ago when it suddenly turned off on its own.

The two green lights on the lower right began to flash intermittently and with seemingly no pattern. They are the power light and the OPC light. The TV doesn't respond to anything in this mode.

I tried to unplug it and turn it on and also tried to reset the set...nothing works and I do have a case # with Sharp. It turns on with no picture, but after about 2 seconds it clicks back into the mode I described above (with the two green lights flashing intermittently).

Is this TV a lemon??

Frustrated in Jersey.

Username: Eagle127

So ozone park, Ny Usa

i just bought a sharp aquos 32" (Lcd3240u)and noticed a small rectangular black box on the tv
on 2 shows. but when a commercial came on, it disappeared. please reply to
my email eagle0155@msn.com

would appreciate any feed back,

thank you

Username: Annorax64

I just read a review on the Amazon site that states that if you have the Aquos TV tuned to an OTA channel that is weak -- even if you're not currently viewing OTA TV -- that this will cause the TV to turn-off and on without warning and cause the lock-up the requires you to pull the power plug to make the TV respond again.

He suggests that you tune the TV to a strong, reliable OTA station before using any of the other input modes.

I just went in and made the TV forget about all OTA channels to see if that solves the problem (I have digital cable).

I'll post a follow-up if I find that this course of action makes any difference.

I'm also going to get the firmware upgrade installed -- wish I could do it myself.

Username: Jdfoldenauer

I purchased a 37db5u a couple months ago and have 2 problems. First the picture is generally great but it does intermittently flicker--as in the picture quickly brightens and darkens while watching from satelite as well as dvds. I've changed to a much more expensive power conditioning strip to no effect.
The second problem is my satelite remote suddenly stops working after 6:00 or 7:00 pm but works fine during the day. I had no problem with the remote until the arrival of the TV. I have no issue with the actual sharp remote, although it is incompatible with my satelite box. If I remember correctly, my satelite provider claims infrared interferance and claims no responsibility. Has anyone had similar problems?

Username: Homer316tx

I have not had any of the problems with my Aquos LC26D40U you all have mentioned above to date, but I am a little concerned about my picture quality. I am currently waiting for my HDTIVO from D*, so I know to expect the picture on most things I currently watch to be not as sharp and a little grainy. What I have noticed is that on some darks, even on my DVD player which is hooked up with a HDMI cable, that some of the darks are blurred to where they look like large square blocks (think of a bad mpeg on YouTube). Is this a common problem with the Sharp LCD flat screens, or does it indicate a problem with my unit? Thanks!

Username: Tmbackstrom

Broomfield, CO US

Just got a new LC32D41U a week and a half ago, and twice while powering it on the picture came on for a second then went totally black with good audio. The remote still worked, and the set wasn't locked. If it was powered off by the remote then on, it did the same thing. Unplugging power for a minute then plugging it back in, and it powered on just fine. Any ideas?

Username: Tony47

I just bought a Sharp Aquos LC-40C37U LCD HD Tv on 9/5/06. Everything works as described in manual. I have Comcast - Dig Cable (not HD yet..). The only function I cannot get to work is to select Audio to anything but MONO. The Audio button on remote (under cover) is supposed to be pushed and toggle MONO, STEREO, etc...but it always shows it to stay on MONO. Am I doing anything wrong? Anyone have this issue?

Username: Unclerad

Okay, I'm ready to relate my experience with the Aquos LC32D40U 32" LCD. Being new to HD I thought I would be safe taking the recommendation of Consumer Reports. They singled out the LC 26GD4U as being the fourth best but when I went looking for it I found it was last year's model and was being phased out everywhere. I finally found it and ordered it only to find it would take a month for it to arrive! So, I cancelled it and decided to step up to a 32"instead. I settled on, "this year's model of the same thing" and found one for $993 delivered. There are two other sites now with an even lower price, $955, you just have to hunt for it. This "same thing" is much less rich in versatility. There is only 1 coax input instead of 2 in and 1 out. There are 2 HDMI inputs but being a neophyte I actually have no need for them, yet. There are no video outputs at all. There are no DVI inputs so I'll go with a VGA Y-Splitter and a VGA to RCA adaptor setup for my PC, $32. I have also improvised a coax selector switch to choose the antenna or cable input. I found 2 additional OTA channels that way. The tuner itself switches effortlessly between analog and digital channels but beware of the four favorite presets. Choosing a preset favorite results in locking the tuner into THAT mode. I have to go into setup to switch it back into cable from an OTA favorite for instance. This new model has a remote which is completely primitive compared to the LC 26GD4U. Even so the 32" size is well worth the tradeoffs on my budget. The manual is downloadable at Sharp. Here comes the bad news: When it arrived I set it up and enjoyed it but the next morning I found it had turned itself on overnight, sound familiar? Four days later it quit altogether. I'm not talking about freezing up. I got through that bit by adjusting the Terk amplified HDTVi, $35. That part only happened with weak OTAs. No, that morning, six days after getting it, it just hung at a screen saying "Please Wait" I called the Sharp service number and got courteous and professional attention and the next day a guy from Chong's TV-Video Sales & Service in Oakland showed up and took it away. When I asked him how long it would take he asked me what it says on the screen. I said, "Please Wait." He smiled and I got the joke. That night I did a search and found this site. That was a Thursday. The following Monday I called for a progress report and was told they did a software upgrade (service pack?!) and were waiting for further authorization to proceed. I gave them three more days then called again. They said they would call me back. Forty minutes later they called saying they found the bad part and that a new one was now on the way. Squeaking wheel service? I don't know. I was nice and so were they. Thursday, exactly two weeks later the technician brought my new set back. Sure enough the digital PC board was replaced. I wonder if they had another 5,000 set run using a mislabeled capacitor? I don't care. I love HD! I watched Star Wars II and was blown away at the details! I checked it out with a critical eye and am not without comments. There is an interesting face lag phenomenon which happens. When a person turns his face quickly certain parts of his nose and brows take a perceptible moment to catch up with the rest of him. People wearing glasses on screen make it positively distracting. The spectacular HD picture more than makes up for it though. I can testify to actual Viewmaster moments! I suppose there are better sets out there but I bet they cost a lot more! We're at 8 days of flawless performance now. I hope this information is helpful.

Username: Wireshanginfromwall

Sharp LC-37D40U
Brand new TV ... watched it for 4 hours and it died on me. It will not power up. The power light and OPC light blink alternately. 10 days later I still have no TV very little assistance from Sharp in getting TV even looked at from their recommended authorized service center. From what I remember of my TV the picture was nice. Unfortunately, the only thing I see now are wires hanging out of my wall where my TV once was.

I have spent equal time on the phone (mostly on hold) as I have watching my television. I will never buy Sharp again!

Username: Oceanchannel

Sharp LC32GA5U
Three years into watching a fantastic LCD TV (32" Aquos), the unit started to act up. Sometimes when powering on the unit, the green LED light would come on and I could hear the set trying to power up. Then the light would turn from green to red and start blinking. I'd go through the RESET procedure that Sharp customer service offers, to no avail. Sometimes just unplugging the unit from power source completely would allow for it to come on and stay on.
I finally ended up taking it to Sharp's identified AUTHORIZED SERVICE REPAIR in my town. After two days of work and $280 of 'labor,' the service master told me it was a faulty power board with poor soldering (sp?).
Took the unit home and for a few days it worked perfectly. But now, it is back to the same Green Light / Red Light antics. I question whether anything was done to the unit by AUTHORIZED SERVICE REPAIRMAN.
I called Sharp again and they are having someone else from Customer Service call me back within 48 hours. They actually mentioned the possibility of sending out a new unit.
DOES ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE RED LIGHT FLASHING DEAL? Many thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Scherrman

Post Number: 26
I just want to laugh at all you people that bought your televisions off the internet. I love buying things off the net but not high end things like TV's. You have to make sure you are going to have good service and tech support from the place you're buying from. Lesson learned I hope.

Username: Unclerad

Laugh away, laughing boy! I got a great price AND good service on the internet. I guess once you've posted 26 times it gives you the right (or the arrogance?) to be offensive, huh?

My neighbor bought a TV from Best Buy right here in town. They even bought the $130 extended warrantee for it. Sure enough it died six months later. They waited for eight weeks for a fix before finally getting a refund from the store in the form of store credit. The place evidently can't keep up with the bad Insignia store brand sets they sell. It was gratifying to see the sales guy recommend the very set I bought to them. It got rougher when they said it would cost another $150 for another extended warrantee. My neighbor declined it this time. The store went on to explain that purchasing the previous extended warrantee was the only reason they were allowed to return the bad set at all. Paying a full $400+, plus tax, more and then paying an additional $150 makes no kind of sense at all to me. High end products come with a warrantee!! As you can see from my first entry it was enough to get excellent service to meet my personal needs. By the way, their Aquos LC32D40U has passed the six-day barrier without incident. They must've got a good one!

Being the curious kind I asked the tech how much my fix would've cost without any coverage, $300, $200? He said no, not that much. At $993I still think I got a good deal and I'm glad I found this website when things got bad. It was good to see I wasn't alone and to find other people's problems being solved. That's why I took the time to contribute my own experience. Of course I never expected some jerk to take the trouble to laugh at us all in writing. Maybe you need to ask your mommy for some lessons in good manners?

Username: Dogorman

Gainesville, Florida USA

My LC-45GX6U is suffering from a problem I haven't seen discussed in here, yet: there are four bands of faint color, two near the top of the screen and two near the bottom, especially when the screen is blue. I've still got three weeks or so left on my warranty. Any ideas?

Username: Park8817

Richmodn Hill/Toronto, Ontario Canada

There are many problems in LCD TVs.
Most of problem comes from power sequence.
Main CPU Board controls the power sequence in Video/Audio Processor/ Driver / Panel control .....etc.

If even one component fails, the CPU will do System Power off with flickering.

Go to near service center to fix it.
Most of cases, it shoud change the board needed to fix.

LCD-PDP Repair Guy

Username: Tmbackstrom

Broomfield, CO US

Update on my post above. Had Sharp take a look at my LC32D41U, and the tech found that the display panel was bad. Sharp is replacing it with a new unit. Hopefully have it by Holloween.

Username: Diorio

I have a problem with picture quality on a new aquos lcd tv..
very grainy at home but was great in store..
why would this happen?

Username: Eagle127

So ozone park, Ny Usa

FIRST OF ALL DON'T FORGET THE STORE WANTS TO SELL THAT TV THEREFORE MOSTLY ALL HDTV'S THAT YOU SEE THERE HAVE A HI DEFINITON SIGNAL ----

IF YOU HAVE A HI DEFINITION SIGNAL ALREADY HOOKED UP---- CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS AND ALSO CHECK YOUR HI DEF RECEIVER TO BE SURE ITS SET UP ACCORDINGLY

Username: Poppindacriss6

I just purchased the LC-20B2UA. It was made in 2002, so maybe this is why there is a problem. When I was at the seller's aparment everyhting was working fine. I brought it home and began using it, but after about 15 minutes the screen turned off. This happened 2 or 3 times more untilit finally would not turn back on. The red light is on, but the screen will not come back on. From other posts, I do not have the same model for the upgrade, can I still get it?

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 205
i was looking at a lc-26d4u, glad i came here first. sony is looking better.

Username: Jicasey

I also get a clicking sound that clicks every 5-10 seconds for the first 30 minutes or so the set is on and for around 20-30 minutes after the set has been turned off. Anyone else experience this or know what could be causing it?

Username: Cadilicsp

This is an excellent addition! I've added it to the Recent Additions section of the list.http://www.zune-converter.org/news

Looks like I never followed-up on my July 26 posting.

I was able to get the firmware upgraded in the TV by calling Sharp and having the issue worked as a warranty issue. The local TV repair trolls came out and picked-up the TV (they said they couldn't do the work at my home) and a week or so later they brought it back.

The firmware was newer, but not the latest; however, it did fix the problem where the TV would shut-off unexpectedly.

Now if the cleaning people would stop unplugging the TV to run their vacuum cleaner, I'd be all set!

Username: Mkenney

San Diego, Ca

Any resolution to the power on/power off problems with the Sharp Aquos TVs? Mine's a 32G4U.

Worked great for a year. The cable guy came to upgrade the box. After everything was plugged back in the set doesn't come on. The LED on the reciever turns green, then turns back to red. The LED on the monitor then begins to flash red.

Sharp has directed me to a repair shop. Monday is the earliest I can do that. It would be nice to know what the problem is related too be for I hand it over to the shop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Username: Mkenney

San Diego, Ca

Flashing LED must mean system cable disconnected. Got the monitor off the wall and noticed that the system cable had been disconnected. Plugged it back it and everything works fine.

Username: Lardassdjm

San jose, Ca USA

I received a Sharp AQUOS LC32D40U 32 inch LCD last week along with a Playstation 3. I won these along with 2 PS3 games in a KFC promotional contest. When I received the TV I was able to turn it on and the green power light comes on but NO menu. The screen kind of lights up with a greyish background and I can hear sound but NO picture. I tried every video input but same result. I have tried calling Sharp but I work during the day and can't be stuck to the phone while they put me on hold. Any suggestions???

Username: Elian

We're having a really disturbing problem with our Sharp Aquos LC42D62U (disturbing because of how much we spent to buy this TV) - while watching DVDs (haven't noticed this problem on cable or broadcast), there is severe artifacting - like entire sections of the picture will appear to float independently from the rest of image. This is especially apparent on hand held shots - so movies like "Children of Men" and "Waiting for Guffman" (to name two recently viewed examples) become almost impossible to watch, sometime's there are multiple sections of the image floating around independently. The problem is probably exacerbated by certain contrasting colors. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and successfully "fixed" it, or do I need to return my TV? Will an upconverting DVD player help?

Username: Dominus29

My problem with the 32" aquos is not a flashing red LED... but a flashing green LED. The power light flashes, as well as the OPC light.

The system will shut off, and these two LEDs will flash. Sometimes I can turn it on and it will work for a few seconds, and other times it won't turn on at all.

I called Sharp, but they can't help me because I'm in Canada, and apparantly there are no service shops here...huh. Everyone suggests to go and exchange it for another one, but I don't want to go through that hassle. I'd rather try to fix the problem.

I have ensured that the sleep setting is off, as well as the automatic system shut-down settings. I have an Xbox360 and a DVD player plugged into it. The back of the TV feels cool to the touch, so I don't think it's overheating.

Power problem, maybe? Do you think my set was affected by that mislabelled capacitor? Any help would be appreciated.

Username: Canon

THE SHARP AQUOS LC-37D62U I JUST BOUGHT HAS NO SOUND. IS THERE SOMETHING I HAVE TO DO TO GET SOUND? I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD THINK OF BUT I AM STUMPED. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Username: Aybuhay

Just purchased the 32" LCD (3242U)about a week ago. I should've checked this site first. Have the same power/OPS green light blinking issue. Takes about 10-20 minutes to warm up in the morning. At this rate, I need to power it up at 5am to get it going before I leave for work.

Also had a problem with my HDMI input. When I installed the cable(from my home theater), got no picture but a popping sound...just like a popcorn maker!!

So I decided to return to costco and started looking for a Sony(let me know if they have issues-ie. 100 posts complain thread). Now here's the kicker- while I was at the Lcd display area, all the LCD tv's were working(yeah, that includes OLIvia, vizio), except for the Sharp... power light was green, but no picture....lol..what a joke.

Username: Bbarlow25

Anyone have trouble with theier color?
I ahve the 52" Aquos. Whenever I watch sports on HD TV channels the fields are always a Blue color.
I have played with the color settings, with temperatyre settings, nothing makes the green green. The picture looks great when I sue DVD or blue ray player.

Username: Nonfunctionalsharptv

I was searching the internet after my Sharp Aquos (LC-32DA5U, nearly 2 years old now) quit about 45 minutes ago.

My problem is identical to a couple of others that have posted here. I had been watching TV for about two hours when it suddenly shut off. The two green Power and OPC lights are now blinking intermittently. I have unplugged it, turned it on - gotten no picture, only to have it turn off after about 5 - 10 seconds with the same blinking LED problem.

Any help is appreciated

Username: Daddyessentials

Kingston , New York USA

SHARP AQUOS LC32D4U has no sound after about ten minutes. I've had the thing for 1.5 years and it has worked flawlessly since I bought it. I called Sharp and they walked me through a stupid reset program channel thing which obviously had no effect. The TV basically works fine picture, changing channels, and so forth with the exception of the sound drop anywhere between 10 and 15 minutes worth of use. I made a suggestion to the Sharp people that it might be an overheating issue and they told me that it would be "rare" but that it could be a possibility. Does anyone else have this problem?? it only occurs after the TV has been off for a bit, you turn it on and the sound is working nice and then BANG it drops out never to come back, unless you prefer watching TV in short ten minute bursts with 15 to 20 minute breaks between "peepings"....

I have the same TV. I've not had this trouble, but it does sound like heat is causing a marginal piece of hardware to fail once the system warms-up.

Thanks for letting us know that you're having this problem -- I've had mine about the same length of time as you -- I guess I'll now know what is going if/when it happens to mine.

Mine has a problem that it periodically resets back to factory defaults every week or so -- I think it might have to do with setting the TV to automatically turn-off after so many minutes of activity -- I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Username: Spa1307

I have a Sharp Aquos LC-20S4U and I have just recently started having the same problem as most of you. Right now, no picture, no sound, remote does not work. Can only turn on or off with power button on unit and then I get a 'green' blinking light? I have called Sharp and they have advised taking to a service center and are sending me some paper work. Does anyone have any ideas on the problem?

Username: Latebloom

yep....this seems to be a common problem. It happened to me while it was still under the warranty. The OPC light was blinking and the set wasn't functioning at all. It was very frustrating.

The service center ended up putting a "new board" in...not sure what that meant, but that seemed to have fixed the problem.

Now I'm having audio issues. I seemed to, however, isolate the problem. I disconnected the HDMI cables and went to the component cables. That seemed to help. I tested my HDMI cable at a TV store and it seemed to be fine...so....it's either the TV or, more likely, the DVR Cable Box...who knows?

Digital/HD is great, but it's still not perfect...y'know? I don't think I'd buy another Aquos though. The picture is great, but...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us