WTF...You cannot record copy protected movie

Bronze Member
Username: Scatman

Post Number: 97
Have all the movie channels gone to this? Is there a way around it?

Bronze Member
Username: Dish1

Post Number: 20
what do u think copy protected means rlmfao.buddy just download dvd decripter and dvd shrink and u good to go

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
How will that help record off of a kewlsat box? Is that for recording to a computer?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 13661
Scatman

Give us few details like; from what to what you tried to do a copy?

Bronze Member
Username: Search

Post Number: 11
I have 3 dvd recorders. My Curtis recorder can tape anything

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
Plymouth,

Using a Koolsat 5000 with the R-Link thing...the 300 range channels are no longer capable of being recorded. Using a Samsung DVD-VR375 recorder/player. This hardware configuration has worked fine until lately.

Does this help with the info you requested?

Thank you.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13704
Scatman

This is the copy protection system, usualy you can copy the movie one time but it seem that Dn blocked it for the first copy!

I founded it on the Web:

By luckyduck "LD"
This review is from: Samsung DVD-VR375 1080p Up-Converting VHS Combo DVD Recorder (Electronics)
Here's my story:
- I finally realize what all that talk about copyright protection is about. I purchased the Samsung DVD-VR375 1080p Up-Converting VHS Combo DVD Recorder to dub my personal VHS tapes to DVD. When I tried to copy my VHS movies (like Heavy Metal which I purchased from a store about a decade ago) to DVD, it stopped a few seconds in saying that it can't dub because of the copy protection signal endcoded on it.

I am now learning that is because I am trying to copy video that has embedded macrovision protection. Taping over the hole on the cassette doesn't help because that hole is only designed to tell your VCR not to allow you to accidentally record over the cassette. This is one of the reasons the Samsung DVD-VR375 1080p Up-Converting VHS Combo DVD unit is useless because all it allows me to copy is my own home movies. From what I am told one needs to incorporate a Digital Video Stabilizer.

To add annoyance to the above problem I also had to contend with the fact that after dubbing a home made VHS tape to DVD the VOB files it created were NOT created properly.

So, I'm returning this for a full refund including shipping costs.

Live and learn. And, thanks copyright protection for protecting me from myself.

This gadget can broke the copy protection: http://www.xdimax.com/common/default.html

Info on copy protection:

Video Copy Protection and DVD Recording
Video Copy Protection and What it Means for DVD Recording and Copying

By Robert Silva, About.com Guide
See More About:

* video copy-protection
* dvd recording
* cprm

Sponsored Links

VHS, Hi8, 8mm Tape to DVDWe convert video to DVD 11 years experience - Web or DVDwww.TorontoHomeMovies.com

Roxio Easy VHS to DVDSave your VHS tapes on DVD! Roxio's new software makes it easywww.Roxio.com

Small Sacrificesstarring Farrah Fawcett Buy Small Sacrifices on DVD hereraremovies.biz
Just as you can't copy commercially made VHS tapes to another VCR due to Macrovision anti-copy encoding, the same applies to making copies to DVD. DVD recorders cannot bypass anti-copy signals on commercial VHS tapes or DVDs. If a DVD recorder detects anti-copy encoding it will not start the recording and display some sort of message either on screen or on its LED front panel display that it detects the anti-copy code or that it is detecting an unusable signal.

Some Practical Advice

My Advice: Buy DVD versions for those movies in your VHS library that are now available on DVD, especially if they are films you like to watch on a regular basis. Since DVD has much better video and audio quality than VHS, as well as most DVDs having supplementary features (such as commentaries, deleted scenes, interviews, etc...), and with the price of DVD movies being fairly inexpensive (especially if they have been out for awhile), this would be a better solution in terms of time.

Keep in mind that it takes two hours to copy a two hour movie, as the recording is done in real time using a DVD recorder, whether copying from a VHS tape or DVD. For example; it would take 100 hours to copy 50 movies (if you are actually able to do so) and money (you still have to get 50 blank DVDs) spent on trying to make copies of old VHS movies onto DVD.

Macrovision Killers

For those VHS movies that are not currently on DVD or may not be anytime soon, you can try using a Macrovision Killer, which is a box that is placed between a VCR and DVD recorder (or VCR and VCR).

However, in the case of DVD Recorder/VCR combo, you need to check if the VCR section has its own set of outputs and if the DVD recorder section has its own set of inputs and that if the VCR can play at the same time the DVD recorder is recording, independent of the internal VHS-to-DVD dubbing function.

You would then connect the Macrovision Killer to the outputs of the VCR section and the inputs of the DVD recorder section. In other words, it would be like using the Combo as if it were a separate VCR and DVD Recorder. Your user manual should explain how to use your DVD Recorder/VCR combo in this fashion (minus the Macrovision Killer part) and offer an illustration.

Using a Macrovision Killer between a VCR or DVD Player and a DVD recorder, or between the VCR section and the DVD recorder section of a DVD recorder/VCR combo, may result in successful copy. However, this method may not work in all cases. Also, such devices are getting harder to find as a result of legal crackdowns.

The Legality of Copying Commercial VHS tapes and DVDs

As part of a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling, even companies that make hardware and software products that can bypass anti-copy codes on DVDs or other video and audio content can now be sued; even if such products have disclaimers regarding the use of such products for illegal video or audio copying.

Several companies that make products that enable DVD-to-DVD, DVD-to-VHS, and/or VHS-to-DVD copying are on the target list to be sued by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) and Macrovision for making products that can be used for copyright infringement. The key to the ability of these products to bypass anti-copy codes is their ability to detect them.

Copy-Protection and Recording Cable/Satellite Programming

Just as you can't make copies of most commerical DVDs and VHS tapes, new types of copy-protection are being implemented by Cable/Satellite Program providers.

One problem newer DVD recorders and DVD Recorder/VHS combo units have is that they are unable record programs from HBO or other premium channels, and definitely not Pay-Per-View or On-Demand programming, due to copy-protection to block recording onto DVD.

This isn't the fault of the DVD recorder; it is the enforcement of copy-protection schemes required by the movie studios and other content providers, which is also backed up legal court rulings.

It is a "Catch 22". You have the right to record, but the content owners and providers also have the legal right to protect copyrighted content from being recorded. As a result, the ability to make a recording may be prevented.

There is no way around this unless you use a DVD Recorder that can record on a DVD-RW disc in VR Mode or a DVD-RAM format disc that is CPRM compatible (look on the package). However, keep in mind that DVD-RW VR Mode or DVD-RAM recorded discs are not playable on most DVD players (just Panasonic and few others - refer to user manuals).

On the other hand, Cable/Satellite DVRs and TIVO do allow recordings of most content (except for pay-per-view and on-demand programming). However, since the recordings are made on a hard drive instead of a disc, they are not permanently saved (unless you have an extremely large hard drive). This is acceptable to movie studios and other content providers as further copies of the hard drive recording cannot be made.

Also, if you have a DVD recorder/Hard Drive combination, you should be able to record your program onto the Hard Drive of the DVD Recorder/Hard Drive Combo, but if copy-protection is implemented within the program, you will be prevented from making a copy of your hard drive recording to DVD.

This is also one of the reasons that standalone Blu-ray Disc recorders are not available in the U.S. - although they are plentiful in Japan. The manufacturers don't want to hassle the recording restrictions imposed in the North American market.

Final Take

I doubt if anyone is going to knock on your door and arrest you for making a backup copy of a DVD if you are able to (as long as you don't sell it or give it to someone else). However, availability of devices that enable you to make DVD copies are in increasingly short supply as the MPAA, Macrovision, and their allies successfully win lawsuits against companies making software and hardware that enable the bypassing of anti-copy codes on DVDs, VHS tapes, and other programming sources.

The era of widespread recording of copyrighted content onto DVD, may be slowly coming to end as content providers prevent their programs from being recorded.

Personaly I have a Wal Smart DVD Recorder made in China which work fine and can copy all movie as well that the Curtis made in China of Log In!

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13705
How doing your own Macrovision Killer:

http://www.hobby-electronics.info/projects/MacrovisionKiller.html

You can also buy a PVR card to record on your computer then use AnyDVD to bypass the Macrovision protect!

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13706
There is the link for AnyDVD:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13707
Some good infos in regard of Copying:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.10

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 18804
Plymouth: That IS a very thorough response. There should be no reason for anybody to start criticizing you, unless they are insanely jealous

Silver Member

Post Number: 101
Plymouth,

Thank you for your time helping with your research.

It seems "they" have stopped the ability to record using the VR Mode on the Samsung VR375. We tried it on two identical Samsung VR375 machines with different variations of input configurations with identical results...no copy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
Plymouth,

Found the solution!!!

On the Kewlsat box remote pressing the green button brings up the Closed Caption window. The Closed Caption was ON. Set it to OFF.

Now how simple is that!?!?!? hahahaaa...

Thanks all posters for your time!

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13712
Scatman

You are Welcome!
Happy for you that you founded and corrected the problem!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us