FreeHD Canada Inc

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 13517
How It Works

By utilizing the latest new technologies, FreeHD Canada is able to
provide more than 200 channels of superior picture quality HD into consumer homes via a small inexpensive satellite dish.

FreeHD Canada will provide a better picture from less video
compression -- better than your current cable or satellite provider --
with sports and movies in 1080p quality (channels in 1080p will provide 'BluRay Disc' or theatre quality video) .

To get the FreeHD Canada service, consumers will need to buy a
FreeHD Canada receive system (small dish and set-top box), expected to be available from retailers throughout Canada in early 2011 or available online.

Check back here for more details in the upcoming months on launch dates, system pricing, and retailers!!

"BETTER TV AT A BETTER PRICE"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

FreeHD hopes to horn in on digital transition

The staid world of pay TV might get a shot of adrenaline if a proposed low-cost service is blessed by Canadian regulators.

FreeHD Canada Inc., a new venture led by industry veteran David Lewis, filed a proposal to the CRTC this week and, if approved, plans to launch a free, barebones offering in about a year.

The service would take advantage of new, cheaper technology to offer high-definition programming at a deep discount to satellite and cable providers, including Bell and Vidéotron.

"We're starting out with a brand new platform, and so we can take advantage of new efficiencies," Lewis said. "We don't have to worry about integration with legacy equipment."

FreeHD would offer a two-tiered service. The free option includes only 10 to 20 local channels that normally transmit over the air. This is aimed at viewers who don't want to pay for TV but who will be without any programs when analog transmissions are phased out in 2011.

A premium paid option would offer 150 to 200 specialty channels in high definition. Lewis said the price for this service would be "$30 to $40 less than the HD premium tiers of the cable and satellite competitors."

Bell's most expensive HD package is $90 per month, while StarChoice, the satellite service owned by Shaw Communications Inc. tops out at $83.

Whether a customer takes the free or premium service, there is still a $300 fee for the equipment and $100 for installation, Lewis said.

Such a venture is risky because it's entering a mature market dominated by telecom giants who offer bundled services, like telephone, Internet and wireless, said Brahm Eiley, president of research firm Convergence Consulting Group.

Pay TV is gaining a little over 200,000 new subscribers a year, a low rate compared to wireless telephony, which leaps by 1.5 million new customers annually, Eiley said.

Furthermore, most Canadians - about 60 per cent of households - prefer to buy two or more services from the same company.

"They're walking into a situation with a high degree of bundle overlap," he said. "It's a mature space they're going into."

Lewis is aware of this, and is hoping an imminent upheaval in the Canadian telecom landscape will be to his advantage. New wireless carriers are expected to enter the market next year, and could serve as bundle partners to FreeHD.

"I'm almost certain it would be a possibility for us," he said. "It would be interesting for us and them. We need a bundle and they need a bundle."

Bell Canada declined to comment on the competitive threat posed by FreeHD, but said they have talked about offering free local stations for years.

In small markets, some broadcasters may not want to convert their signals from analog to digital, so Bell is willing to offer a free local TV service under favourable regulatory conditions.

"We can actually deliver before the 2011 deadline," said Mirko Bibic, Bell's senior vice-president of government and regulatory affairs.

"We're licensed. We have access to dishes, to set-top boxes, and we have the satellite capacity."

rrocha@thegazette.canwest.com
By ROBERTO ROCHA, The Gazette
© Copyright © The Montreal Gazette

Bronze Member
Username: Sfh99

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 51
Don't you think buying a $45 HDTV antenna would be more cheap and convenient instead of paying $400 for locals HD only. Channel Master 4221 HD is about 50 dollar and offer atleast 30 channels, 15 of them are HD.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13520
Farhan

Tell me how you will get PPV with a OTA antenna?

Here in Quebec city, I get only one channels in HD which is Radio-Canada French!

The only way to get HD local is with Cable or satellite Provider!
Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Sfh99

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 52

Well thats a bad luck for Quebec residents. I am watching atleast 8 HD channels from my indoor antenna right now. CTV, CBC, WNED, MYTV, OMNI1, OMNI2, CITY TV, CW, they all are coming in perfect HD from my 15 dollar indoor antenna.

regarding PPV, brother I was talking about not paying 400 dollar just to see locals HD. For PPV, I am sure you have to pay some amount monthly to them , I hope the price is lot cheaper than Bell and Rogers.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13521
Farhan

I agree with you that 400$ is a high cost but if they furnish PPV for cheaper than others providers, this cost will be absorbed easily!

I'm more than ready for the OTA with 2 OTA antenna on the roof but the useless CRTC pushed back the HD servicing!

I can get all SD local channels with a very good quality and 3 channels are as clean as channels from my FTA SD receiver!
Upload

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 13726
About Us

FreeHD Canada Inc. was founded by David Lewis, a 30 year veteran
of the Canadian satellite, direct-to-home, broadcasting and telecom industries. He has been involved in the initial launch, business development and management of four satellite TV start-ups; including Bell TV, Star Choice, AlphaStar Canada and AlphaStar in the U.S.

David Lewis was recently the founding President of Ciel Satellite
Group '" which broke a 25 year monopoly in the provision of satellite services to the Canadian market '" later serving as President and CEO and a Director of Ciel. He currently is Chairman of the Canadian Satellite and Space Industry Forum, a group representing all Canadian satellite operators and aerospace manufacturers in Canada. He has served on the Board of several industry associations and corporate advisory boards, and is a past recipient of the Canadian Satellite Users Association's 'Outstanding Service Award'.

FreeHD Canada draws on a pool of experts and resources from the Satellite, Broadcast and Telecom industries, and aims to provide a superior experience to its customers from using best industry practices, and providing consumer friendly and superior customer service.

'BETTER TV AT A BETTER PRICE'

Bronze Member
Username: Abeyambu

Post Number: 36
plymouth. can you help me with this IKS thing. where do i get instructions to set it up. is it worth it? how often it goes down? any news on N3 fix?

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 18818
https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1857228#POST1857228.
Read my reply to Jim Speed in the above URL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us