Best DVD Player to go with my new Samsung HLP5063W TV?

Username: Slobizman

Post Number: 1
I've read many threads on this forum and others, trying to understand how to best choose the new components I'm going to need to go with my new Samsung hlp5063W TV coming in a few days. I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

I'm working on the DVD Player now. I've seen discussions about the Samsung 841 and 931. Are these the two I should look at? Will they give me a better picture than other DVD players? If so, which one is appropriate?

I have only one DVI input on my TV, but I have to also connect my HD DirecTV/Tivo ( Hughes HD-DVR250) unit I'm going to get.

I'm willing to purchase a Gefen HTV Switcher (ouch! $250! http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1819) if DVI is the way to go to connect the TV and Player.

Also, this isn't the right forum section for this, but if you know, what should I be looking for in a new home theater recieiver all this new stuff?

Post Number: 2
Oh, and also, instead of DVI, could I connect the player to the TV with Component Video or something else to not have to accomodate two DVI input connections? Or, would the quality be subpar?

Post Number: 3
EDIT ON FIRST MESSAGE: Third paragraph. I wrote Hughes HD-DVR250 but meant HR10-250.

And, I just realized that the HR10-250 has a HDMI output, and my Samsung 5063W has an HDMI input! I guess that means that I can connect my DTV/TIVO box via HDMI and my 841 or 931 DVD Player via DVI, right?

JL
Unregistered guest
Dear MArk,
I just purchased a 5063W. I have it connected to my cable box with DVI. HDTV is just spectacular.
I am waiting for the Samsung 941 because it has an HDMI interface and a Faroudja chip (the 841 does not) so I will not need a DVI switch. I just hope that I can take the audio to my Denon 2803 and not be stuck with the HDMI for sound.
Hope that helps.

EaglesSuck
Unregistered guest
Mark,

your TV has an HDMI connection so use that to hook up the HD box. Don't hook up the dvd player with Component because it defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place and the quality will be subpar when comparing it to DVI connection.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us