Is Sony following Toyota in quality?

Username: Jayasimha786

Post Number: 1
http://defectivesonylcdtv.blogspot.com/

I have been a lifelong Sony customer and have been very pleased with their products until now. So far I have purchased computers from Sony [Even at work I always buy Vaio] - cameras, camcorders, PS2, PS3, my $3200 52" KDL52XBR4 and my 40" LCD TV in bedroom.

However I have had a really bad experience with my $3200 KDL52XBR4. I bought this TV in Mar 2008. The screen started giving me problems just after one year. Whenever I turn it on, the left side of the screen produces mirrored, mis-colored and black images. The problem used to go away after about 10 -15 minutes. I did not contact Sony, since the problem was disappearing after 10 -15 mins. However the problem has gotten really bad now and is permanent. I see ghost images on the left side and it never disappears. Also some instances no picture shows up on the screen [picture attached].

I called a Sony technitian paying $135, he gave me a quote for $3000 to replace the LCD screen. [He must be really kidding with that quote]

After paying $3200, I expect the TV to last atleat 5 years. This is totally unaccepatable, looks like Sony is following Toyota in quality and customer satisfaction. I contacted Sony again, their answer is they will give a $500 discount on new TV, now I need to pay $1500 + tax and buy a brand new TV [which is available for $1700 @ Dell.com]. These folks are out of their mind.

All these years the name Sony to me has always been reliability, style and quality. But it has changed, I will no longer buy or recommend any Sony products.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4205
Sony TVs have been plagued with problems for a long time. I work on electronics and trust me Sony has reliability issues with most of their products and has for years. If they ever did make superior products it was before my time and I'm not young.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us