Wireless bridge vs powerline adaptor

Silver Member
Username: Koko_wawa

Post Number: 518
I have a wireless internet and I wanna receive TV programs thru a paid site. The receiver will be connected to the TV and can I use powerline adaptors or wireless bridge to avoid direct connection of the receiver to the internet box? And which is better and gives better results?

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 17807
A pair of powerline adpators at $30 each is what you will need as a minimum. The receiver end of the system, can have an additional router connected to it. I have helped a person who has his DSL entry point into the house in the basement. He did not wnat to run an Ethernet cable to the ground level living room, so hw put in two power-line adaptors. Then his son needed a computer for himself at the ground level so he put in a router on the output of the powerline adpator, and is running two ethernet cables out of the router to his two upstairs devices. If he did not put a router, he could have put another powerline adpator on another outlet in the living room and connected it to the new computer upstairs.
Generally hardwired installations are better than wireless. In a powerline based installation, the house wiring becomes the ethernet wiring.
Note should be made here to insert your powerline adaptor directly into a wall plug and not on a power bar.

Silver Member

Post Number: 519
Thanks Nalin. But does the use of the wireless internet thru this powerline adaptors badly affect the signal received by the receiver?

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 12557
Karkour

Te signal come from the receiver, the keys which open the channels come from internet!!

Very few bit is needed from your internet connexion!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17809
I am not sure what you mean by "wireless internet thru this powerline adaptors". If you look at my post above you will notice that I call it wired not wireless. Just because you did not run a wire from the basement to ground floor, it does not make it wireless - it is fully wired by your electrician some years ago.
The house wiring is used as ethernet cable and you have ether net all over your house available at EACH electrical outlet using a powerline adaptor value $30.
A 100' ethernet cable would cost you $20-25 and powerline adptor instead costs $30. If you need to use internet second time in the vicinity then you are paying another $30 instead of $6 for a short 6' ethernet cable.

Bronze Member
Username: Lamborghini

Post Number: 55
Hi Nalin,

I have a similar situation like your friend. My DSL comes through the basement. As I understand I have to hook up my modem from ma bell at entry point and have one power line adapter near to the modem. Does it mean that on any floor where I add another power line adapter, I get wired internet connection? Please explain if you get time.Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 6750
in simple 3 equipment u need in order for powerline adapter to work...

u need a modem, ...and a router..and powerline adapters 2
powerline adapters are used where u want to have wireless connection,
and the equipment u are using is not built in wireless,

for example u won't need to use powerline adpater for ur laptop as most laptops are built in wireless,
however u might need one for ur desktop (which is in bedroom and u don't want network cable)....

now powerline adapter gets the connection from power offcourse but they also get the signal from ur router...

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 6751
karbour kaka if u don't mind can u share name of the site,, (paid)..
and the rec u are using..with it..
and what channel are u going to watch...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17862
Lamborghini:
I hope the following will be useful information for you.

1. DSL brings in signals for telephony and for Internet. We used this intrusion by Bell to get telephones. Now we can ask Bell to provide Internet as well. It can be a single intrusion (Telephone AND Internet) or a double one (Telephone AND Internet), using filters at each telephone outlet for trouble free telephony.
2. A device called 'modem' is used to interpret eh Internet part of the signals.
3. The modem output is sent by a special wire called Ethernet cable to a device such as a computer, a IKS enabled receiver, router, etc.
4. In its most simple form if a long Ethernet cable has to be used, you can use your house wiring instead. To do that you have to interpose a Powerline adaptor between the modem and the Electrical wiring. This allows the electrical wiring of your house to do double duty '" as conductor of 110Volt Electricity and as conductor of Ethernet signals. The minimal power that the powerline needs is taken from the Electrical plug near the modem, and thus the device plugs directly into the ordinary power plug of the house.
5. Now your house has Ethernet available at every outlet where electricity is available in your house. There is one significant practical restriction '" a power bar MAY NOT allow the signals to come to each outlet of the power bar, but a simple extention cord USUALLY allows it.
6. To avail of this facility you need a Powerline adaptor at EACH place where you need Ethernet. Remember that the Powerline adaptor allows the signals to go both directions.
7. If at the modem end you need to plug in more than one device, you need a router, or your modem has to be a combination modem/router.
8. You can have the modem connected to the router first and than one output of router can be connected to Powerline adaptor. Another output of router can go directly to a computer near the modem, using a Ethernet cable.
9. If you don't need a router near the modem, you can plug in a router into a Powerline adaptor at any outlet in the house.
10. Most modems are capable of giving out DHCP '" secondary local IP addresses and they usually have a slate of 254 local IP addresses. Similarly most reouter also can dish out DHCP '" up to 254. Also most modems and routers can be set to enable or disable their ability to give DHCP. After all your modem gets an Internet address given to it by a server of Bell using DHCP unless you have specifically ordered a Static IP.
11. Therefore you can have more than one router in the system, whether wired directly using Ethernet cables or wired using Powerline adaptor and house wiring.
12. . By the way, there is absolutely no harm openly talking about a local IP address. These addresses are usually 192.168.0.xxx, 192.168.1.xxx, 192.168.2.xxx, 10.0.xxx.xxx. Everyday there are millions of duplicates of these addresses at millions of local installations. Nobody can identify you by these IP addresses; yet you can get help easily if you inform the helper of the problems and quoting the LOCAL IP address.

Silver Member

Post Number: 522
Sada,
This is for my neighbor and TV2Moro.com will bring him arabic channels.

Bronze Member
Username: Lamborghini

Post Number: 56
Thanks Nalin,

Fantastic response. I will try this out this weekend. Regards.

Bronze Member
Username: Zakaziko

Toronto

Post Number: 26
Dear Sada

Unless you use high MHz ones, The power line adaptor does not work well when:

1- you have large house
2- if you have touch on lamp lights.
3- have power bars

Although more expensive, having the bridge is much better because, it does not use the power lines.

I had two routors. My son programmed the LINKSYS routor to become a bridge. He down-loaded the reprograming software after searching google. Forgive me, I do not know the link nor I am clever enough to tell you more details. One can buy a bridge instead of reprogramming a routor. That also extends the covarage area of the network.

It worked much better with my Nfusion "when it was working"

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17865
Sada: I recently (2 months) got a Belkin Wireless router which can also act as a wireless bridge for about $45 including tax from TigerDirect of Toronto. I have not used it as a bridge but the facility is already programmed into it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us