Questions about Onkyo DV-C600

Bronze Member
Username: Vasia

Post Number: 18
I am thinking about getting used Onkyo DV-C600 6-disk changer for about 60$ used. It was top of the line model few years back and all the reviews state its unbelivable sound/picture quality. It has some shortcomings, such as inability to play CD-Rs, mp3, SACD (it can play DVD-Audio) and lack of progressive scan (but my TV does not support it anyways). In addition some of these have relyability issues, but the one I am getting seems to be fine. I am primarily interested in using it to play CDs and occasionally DVDs, that it for now. Can someone tell me how its picture/sound quality stacks up against modern day inexpensive DVD players? I just want to get a very economic sourse for now (<80$) and maybe upgrade it later.

Anonymous

Do not buy it! I have one and it has all kinds of problems playing dual layer format dvd's.

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 19
If you want to play CDs use a CD player, they are lees expensive and don't have the spindle motor problems that DVD players have, they also don't have laser problems, use the DVD player for DVDs and it will last that much longer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Used good quality CD players, e.g. NAD 521BEE or used Rotels, still cost >100$ and closer to 150-200S. What is attractive about Onkyo is its price and few current owners stressing its great sound quality. As far as the reliability issues, it seems that the few ones crapped out very fast, but some other ones keep working fine. So if the one I am getting has not developed problems, it may be fine.

Bronze Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 33
If there is something wrong in the manufacturing of the unit it usually does show up within the first few months. I would wonder why it is so cheap if there is nothing wrong with it, but I have gotten some great deals in my time maybe you just came across one. Have you tried a dual layer disc in it? I see someone else saying it has problems with dual layer discs, most new DVDs are dual layer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
I'll try it out, thanks for the tip. I have not gotten it yet.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us