Combine Sat and OTA signals in 1 cable?

Silver Member
Username: Elmoxp

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 332
i want to have OTA Antenna and Sat in one cable, mean from the dish out side, running one cable and that cable coming to my house, i dont want to run one cable for the Air antenna and other for Sat

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 819
http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/satellite_diplexers.htm

The Satellite Diplexer: A Seamless Solution!
One diplexer is used outside to combine the two separate signals (one signal from the satellite dish and another signal from either an off-air TV antenna or cable TV feed). A second diplexer is used inside to separate the combined signals before they enter your satellite receiver. Satellite diplexers eliminate the need for extra wiring thereby reducing the cost of labor and installation materials necessary to run two coaxial drops.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 17485
If you already have a multiswitch outside, you can connect to it with your antenna and then inside the house you must use a diplexer.
Use this technique, if you are planning to have more than one dish or more than one LNB outside any time in the future.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17486
Esvaldo Chevez:

Very correct information was posted. There is NO NEED to interfere.

Q. E. D.

Silver Member
Username: Boss_hog

Post Number: 193
correct information NO NEED to interfere

Chumley
Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 12:04 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.satelliteinstaller.com/satellite_diplexers.htm
Upload

The Satellite Diplexer: A Seamless Solution!
One diplexer is used outside to combine the two separate signals (one signal from the satellite dish and another signal from either an off-air TV antenna or cable TV feed). A second diplexer is used inside to separate the combined signals before they enter your satellite receiver. Satellite diplexers eliminate the need for extra wiring thereby reducing the cost of labor and installation materials necessary to run two coaxial drops.

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 2011
Radio shack sells a very simple inexpensive satellite and OTA combiner...just remember, U will need a DTV converter box ($50 almost any store..(GOV has $40 coupons-2 per household) for the OTA unless ya have a new TV w digital tuner that will accept the digital signals now...(use to be analog, now all are digital)..

however U cannot run the Combined satellite line AND OTA cable line into any DTV converter box, cause that simply doesn't work..the sat signal will get all scrambled again cause its already digital, not analog...

if using the DVT converter box for yer OTA, U MUST not combine the satellite and OTA signals into 1 line...they must be kept seperated!...U will have to run the satellite line and the OTA line into a simple A/B switch to get BOTH satellie and OTA to the same TV..or another solution is to keep BOTH lines sepreate still, and still use the DTV box, and then use an RF cable from satellite to the sat receiver and then TV, AND an S video cable also for the DTV box from box to the TV and and use yer "input " button on yer TV remote to switch from RF (or component) satellite line and back to OTA signal via the DTV box... and satellite remote for swiching sat signals..and DTV convertbox remote fer changig OTA channels....also remeber that the VHF sinals are weaker than UHF, so depending on yer OTA antenna and distance from the locals TV station, ya may lose some VHF OTA channels..

If ya have a newer digital tuner TV, then life is simple... and the 1 Combined line using the radio shack combiner for OTA and satellite signal is all ya need directly to yer receiver and then to TV..

remember this just all good fer 1 TV...same thing applies to all TV, they each either need a DTV converter box and OTA/satellite signal combiner..or have to be new digital TV's....unless ya run a splitter to all yer TV''s after the DTV converter box to each TV, but then yer gonna be watching the same OTA channels simultaneously on each TV...

again, newer digital TV's make like REAL simple for all TV's that ya want OTA and satellite..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2012
BTW...DTV = DIGITAL televison, in this case...NOT Direct TV satellite provider....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17489
Combining Satellite Diplexers with MultiSwitches
Combining Satellite Diplexers with MultiSwitches
'A satellite multi-switch can be used outside to combine the signals from the satellite dish with signals from either an off-air TV antenna or cable TV feed in conjunction with a satellite diplexer inside to separate those signals before they enter the satellite receiver. '

Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17490
Mr. Sandman: LEARN
If a person already has a multiswitch on the roof, which many people do have, and wants to add an antenna to bring the signal down, he does not need a separate diplexer on the roof. he can use the multiswitch on the roof and use a diplexer inside the house.
The above C/P is from the same site as your boss LK aka chumley aka justforhaha's was suggesting, and right below her C/P.

Q. E. D.

Q. E. D.

Q. E. D.

Bronze Member
Username: _fuglyb1tch

Post Number: 39
Actually the correct way to do this is to actually have a diplexer outside and inside

dish to diplexer antannae to diplexer ==>one wire into house==> diplexer ==>one wire to receiver==>other to TV.

Of course what nalin said would work as well provided that the multi switch supports diplexing.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17493
There are literally thousands of multiswitches in use NOW, i.e. TODAY, all over North America and UK., that support antenna input.
Argumentative people will always find something to argue about, but reality is that the man more than lukely already has a multispwitch up there or may need a multiswitch in near future, so Multisitch above and Diplexer below is the route to go.

Bronze Member
Username: _fuglyb1tch

Post Number: 40
has he said that he has a multiswitch.... I prefer to not make assumptions, and was just offering a different opinion... I am not being argumentative, in fact I said the way you want to do it would work.. I made no attack on you what so ever, unlike you in this thread.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/612265.html

What was the point of you making this pic against me exactly?...after this you go cry to the mods that people bash you???

edit..... or here

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/612959.html

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

ModeratorCanada

Post Number: 12311
Elmo

"Posted on Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 11:41 am: Edit Post
i want to have OTA Antenna and Sat in one cable, mean from the dish out side, running one cable and that cable coming to my house, i dont want to run one cable for the Air antenna and other for Sat"

Elmo

If your OTA antenna has a built-in amplifier, you must not use both in same cable because this amplifier need to be powered separatly!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 963
Quote:
"if using the DVT converter box for yer OTA, U MUST not combine the satellite and OTA signals into 1 line...they must be kept seperated"

Really??? I was unaware of this and cannot fing any relavent information.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2015
I know this first hand!...plus simple logic, if ya think about it for a sec....if ya take a digital signal and put it in a Digital CONVERTER box, the signal gets changed and CONVERTED so it will NOT work in yer TV...but don't listen to me, spend hours trying it fer yerself...

BTW...I have an OTA and sat system myself...and I tried all different ways..and my post above is 100% on the money....take that to the bank!...and I am the "relevant" information!...ya got lucky that I was willing to help, and now ya "imply" that my info isn't "relevant" or truth... I don't post bullshit, I don't know about!...good luck with whatever ya do...either way , you will end up doing what i said....whats most important here which is not being addressed by some, is the DTV converter box or the digital tuner in a new TV..that makes a world of difference AFTER ya COMBINE the 2 signals (sat and OTA) with a (1....mines in the attic) cheap $7 combiner, bought at most radio shacks or electronic shops....hell , Wally World (Walmart) may even sell em..

Silver Member

Post Number: 964
Am I confusing combiner with diplexer? My question: Does a diplexer still work after the digital OTA transition?

Silver Member
Username: Boss_hog

Post Number: 199
Plymouth....If your OTA antenna has a built-in amplifier, you must not use both in same cable because this amplifier need to be powered separatly! correct information

ustforhaha's....if using the DVT converter box for yer OTA, U MUST not combine the satellite and OTA signals into 1 line...they must be kept seperated!...U will have to run the satellite line and the OTA line into a simple A/B switch to get BOTH satellie and OTA to the same TV..correct information

Silver Member

Post Number: 965
MY BAD!!! I remember now! A diplexer has nothing to do with OTA but with the new dish from Directv and the Ka band it uses to receive HD programming.

Silver Member
Username: Pffft

Ya Right

Post Number: 288
lets try this for a day. when you poste you can not copy and paste. it all has to come from your keyboard and your brain. LMFAO

Silver Member

Post Number: 966
Well then, you won't see much from me today!!!

Silver Member
Username: Elmoxp

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 333
Thanks Guys
very helpful
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us