Please Help! HDTV and basic cable.

Username: Kelmarsol

Post Number: 1
My parents tube tv broke just before christmas and I purchased a new tv for them. Dynex LCD HDTV from best buy. They have basic cable and do not want to pay anything more (they already complain its too expensive). The picture is terrible. Is there any way to make it better. I tried finding a regular tube tv, but best buy doesn't even sell them anymore and the Dynex HDTV was less expensive than most of the tube tv's I was finding online!! HELP...not sure what to do...

Thank you!!

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 918
Greetings Kelly,

The best way to handle this situation would be to first attach a decent off air antenna to capture local signals in High Definition then do some shopping as to alternatives into their cable "service". This new TV is going to need a decoder box from the cable provider, satellite, or AT&T U-VERSE to get the best picture.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jim!! Crazy thing is my parents are actually in Livonia too :-) They have basic cable through bright house. I am really clueless to electronics so a few questions...where can i buy a off air antenna and does it hook right up to the tv? do you know about how much they run? also i don't think they have a decoder box...is that something bright house should provide or something we need to ask for...do they charge extra for it?

I am currently looking on craigs list for a great condition tube tv and thinking about returning the hdtv...

Silver Member

Post Number: 921
Small world we have here don't we Kelly?

Brighthouse should indeed offer a converter box as well as high definition programming as part of their service:

http://support.brighthouse.com/Article/Special-Equipment-HD-Service-1231/

This should take care of all of their needs without worrying about an antenna and I wouldn't bother with a tube set TV, if Brighthouse follows Comcast's lead then converter boxes will be required for all TV's very soon!

Post Number: 3
Thanks Jim! Well my parents are very old school and actually went out and bought a converter box to just have regular tv come though without even subscribing to cable. I have at least talked them into basic cable, but they will not go any further than that. So now they have this HDTV but only want regular tv or basic cable. The tv hooked up to basic cable has a terrible pic. So thats why i thought going back to a tube set tv would be there best bet for a decent picture.

so the converter box bighthouse offers is only for HD cable then, right?

Sorry for all the questions :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 922
No problem Kelly,

The Brighthouse box will offer all of the TV stations that your parents subscribe to with the best picture and sound available including local channels in HD as well as some others without messing with an antenna and an off air converter box. As far as I can tell they are already paying for this box as part of their subscription so...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us