NFL in Canada

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 690
If you're in Canada you get your CBS and Fox directly from a local station somewhere in the US. Bell ExpressVu carries Boston and Seattle channels; StarChoice gives you a choice between Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle or Spokane.

1/3 1:00 ET At Buffalo Indianapolis
1/3 1:00 ET At Carolina New Orleans
1/3 1:00 ET At Cleveland Jacksonville
1/3 4:15 ET At Dallas Philadelphia
1/3 1:00 ET Chicago At Detroit
1/3 1:00 ET At Houston New England
1/3 1:00 ET Pittsburgh At Miami
1/3 1:00 ET At Minnesota NY Giants
1/3 8:20 ET At NY Jets Cincinnati
1/3 1:00 ET San Francisco At St. Louis
1/3 1:00 ET Atlanta At Tampa Bay
1/3 4:15 ET At Arizona Green Bay
1/3 4:15 ET At Denver Kansas City
1/3 4:15 ET Baltimore At Oakland
1/3 4:15 ET At San Diego Washington
1/3 4:15 ET Tennessee At Seattle

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1961
Hmmm...I don't know that Bell and Starchoice can "LEGALLY" broadcast American local channels to Canadians homes (which would have to be negotiated with the US local channel companies and TV stations....and also the major networks) ...that just doesn't seem right to me, and contrary to DTV and DN "rights" and FCC and RCTC rules ..I thought like with DTV and DN broadcasts, US channels (local US station broadcasts) were not legally permitted to be RECEIVED and VIEWED in Canada..and vice versa regarding Canadian local stations broadcasts to the US...now remember I speaking "LEGALLY"...I dunno, maybe i'm not understanding the original post here correctly...

Silver Member
Username: Cntrlaltdel

Post Number: 296
Any network station from any city in the US can be picked up by any provider in Canada without restrictions from the CRTC... case in point was when TBS started broadcasting as a cable channel, it was pulled in Canada and the Atlanta local channel Peachtree TV replaced it.

It makes absolutely no sense why US network stations are even available in Canada because Canadian networks buy the rights to almost all network programming, run them in the same timeslots as the US networks and then simultaneously subsitute whatever american network channel with it's own network. eg: when Fox runs Family Guy on Sunday night so does Global in Canada, the Fox channel gets substitued for Global in the timeslot so Canadians are watching commercials payed to Global, not Fox.

US cable channels are different though, if a US channel can't directly compete with a Canadian one then it usually will be approved, ie NFL Network, Speed, CBS College Sports, etc. Some of the older ones like TLC, CNN, and MSNBC were approved up here before there was any competition. For channels like ESPN, USA, TNT, Showtime... there is a Canadian equliavent of some description and thus why the US channels are not approved for distribution in Canada, it would take revenue away from the Candian ones, in other words "A MONOPOLY"... which I've never agreed with my entire life and is why I've always had a US system, either FTA or subbed!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1962
OK, so yer saying that the US major and smaller networks HAVE sold broadcasting rights to Bev and Starchoice for many particular programs/shows...just like Fox's recent settlement agreement with Time Warner and its subordinate Broadhouse in the US..and the US networks agreements with DTV, DN , Comcast cable etc.......

but its the PROVIDER 's such as DTV and DN that forbid BY LAW (both US and Canadian laws), the reception of THEIR channels and programs to Canada viewers...I do know its illegal for Canadians to receive and view all DTV and DN channels and programs,....

I just don't see how a LOCAL US TV station in Buffalo, Seattle, Boston, Detriot, Spokane broadcasts are LEGALLY obtained and viewed by Bev and Starchoice to air to Canadian viewers....Local TV stations are "affiliates" of networks (not all, some locals are "independent" too) and MUST PURCHASE all their programming, which they have NOT sold to Bev or Starchoice....I can understand major network national broadcasts being legally SOLD to Bev or Starchoice, but NOT LOCAL station broadcasts, even if its an NFL game, which the local stations are rebroadcasting off their antennaes..

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 691
justforhaha's.......Hmmm...I don't know that Bell and Starchoice can "LEGALLY" broadcast American local channels to Canadians homes.

Anik F1R at 107.3°W

http://www.lyngsat. com/packages/shawf1.html

KOMO-TV (ABC - Seattle)
KIRO-TV (CBS - Seattle)
KING-TV (NBC - Seattle)
KCPQ-TV (Fox - Seattle)
KCTS-TV (PBS - Seattle)

WXYZ-TV (ABC - Detroit)
WWJ-TV (CBS - Detroit)
WDIV-TV (NBC - Detroit)
WTVS-TV (PBS - Detroit)
WUHF-TV (Fox - Rochester)

KHQ-TV (NBC - Spokane)
KXLY-TV (ABC - Spokane)
KREM-TV (CBS - Spokane)
KAYU-TV (Fox - Spokane)

Bell TV on Nimiq 1 at 91.0°W

http://www.lyngsat. com/packages/bell1.html

WBZ-TV (CBS - Boston)
WHDH-TV (NBC - Boston)
WSBK-TV (Boston

KING-TV (NBC - Seattle)
KOMO-TV (ABC - Seattle)
KCPQ-TV (Fox - Seattle)

Also for the Canadians that are located close to the USA border
lets say within 100 miles as the Crow flies with a HD UHF/VHF
Antenna and a pre-amp on the roof of your home you should have no problem pickup these Networks plus more.

I am not only a tester I also do installations.
Only in the southern part of the USA

Silver Member
Username: Hannity

MAYBE I CAN ASK TO, ADM FOR BAN YOU

Post Number: 204
Canadian satellite/cable have been allowed to have CBS,NBC,ABC and Fox for years. When I want to watch Tiger Woods play Golf, I need to be able to get a CBS, etc station in order to see it. While it`s true that 50% of the time TSN or Global/CTV will air it, 50% or more of the time I have to have CBS etc, from Buffalo etc.

Hey, how do you think Canadians watched Johnny Carson for years, and before him Steve Allen?? 30 years ago no Canadian stations picked those shows up, we have always been allowed to pick up US local networks.

As for NFL in Canada???? You got to be kidding me!!! CFL is where it`s at up here !!! UploadUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
justforhaha's, here's a link to which channels are approved by the CRTC for distribution in Canada. I was wrong, not all local US network channels are liscensed, just a few border cities... now obviously Canadian providers must pay some sort of fee for carriage to them, I don't know. I'll never understand why in Alberta we have the Spokane networks from the Pacific timezone rather than the Denver networks in our own Mountain timezone!

hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_television_channels_available_in_Ca nada

as for the CFL... it's the AHL of football, PERIOD!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
One good thing about Candian television, even without the Sunday Ticket you can still get up to 7 different Sunday afternoon games between all the time shifted US & CTV Canadian networks... it's almost ridiculous considedring the providers want you to subscribe to Sunday Ticket yet you get more than half the games with a regular subscription... smart business!

What I've learned to love since my NFHD went down... how much I love cable On Demand, it's great!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1963
Thanks for the education...never heard that about "some" local US stations being paid by Bev and Starchoice ...and licensed in Canada..

the CFL...well yer right, its more like the ECHL, 1 step befow the AHL..lol...kinda like Japanese baseball is to the MLB (hmmm...Toronto Blue Jays is more like Japanese baseball rather than MLB...lol) ..or European B ball compared to the NBA...

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
No problem... if you are who I think you are, you've educated me plenty in the past. ;)

US networks have been up here ever since cable was invented, it's only been in the past 10 years that Canadian networks have started this simultaneous substitution of their own network over the American ones with programming they have Canadian rights to, which is kinda B.S.... but business is business I guess.

as far as the CFL goes... It's not the NFL by any stretch, but I do watch it and I do enjoy it, and the way I see it... we have 4 leagues to watch up here (CFL, NFL, NCAAF & CIS) the more football the better IMHO!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us