Sony kdf-70xbr950 optical block/green overcast issue

Username: Bnagy56

Nj Usa

Post Number: 1
I have read a lot of the posts here and other forums about the green blob/optical-block issues, but have not come across this particular circumstance. Over the past year my tv has exhibited this green cast dilemma, with one caveat: the problem would sometimes go away (but then come right back) by resetting the system (shutting off, unplugging, etc.) The one thing that seems to work is that I've seemed to circumvent this by wiring the dvd input and viewing regular (non-hd) tv thru the dvd. Now I say viewing regular, non-hd programming because the green haze does not seem to effect hd programming. The reason I never had it fixed is because A:the cost issue and B: I thought originally it was the cablebox. But after repeated replacement of the box ruled this out. Still, how is it that I still can watch tv in hd with no green overcast and switch the input and the green disappears? Has anyone else tried this?

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 724
on my Sony, a KDS 60A2000 SXRD, I can assign presets to each input individually.
So, I leave games alone and my DVD is to Custom where I have made a few adjustments with a calibration DVD.

If the problem changes after an unplug, I'd try a soft reset which should be somewhere in the menus. There MAY be a battery on the main board somewhere to power the memory after changes are made. That could be a goner, too. The watch battey on my old PC lasted 4 or 5 years which sound typical.

If you adjust the 'bad' input and the above doesn't help, than you may need professional help. Chips and other electronic parts change performance when heated. If the set works when cold, than changes as it warms, this could be it. A good vacuuming may help this.

Username: Samre5

I have a Sony KDS-R60XBR1...nov. 2005 mfg date....the green cast is most pronounced in gloomy gray scenes....it tends to be less noticable and can seem to disappear in regular scenes.....the source of this issue is the plastic LCD color panels in the optical block....the plastic discolors and yellows from HEAT and TIME just like the plastic headlights on a car.....the replacement optical block is refurbed with GLASS LCD panels and will not be subject to this degredation. Sony and other manufacturers that made TVs with these plastic LCD panels will not escape this inherent problem with plastic. They saved money at the expense of every RPTV buyer and killed the market.

Username: Tonypipitone

I have a Sony KDS-60A2000 and am experiencing the same green cast on my picture. I changed the lamp after the message came up at power up saying the lamp was near end of life. I thought this was the problem, but it was not.

Can you purchase and replace the optical block with the glass LCD panels you discussed? What is the cost and where can you get them. I am an EE, so can handle some complex replacement.

tony

Post Number: 2
They all will suffer the same fate if they have plastic LCDs...it's just inherent to the nature of plastic when it's exposed to heat over time. There was a huge lawsuit against Sony concerning my TV in particular...Sony KDS-R60XBR1....also the 50 inch.....if you jumped through hoops by June of 2009, Sony was replacing these crappy optical blocks at no charge....and they did so with my set.....I'm so glad that I caught the problem early enough....I'm sure many people just couldn't see it because it's so subtle early on and stays that way for a long time. There is no answer for other people with older and different manufacturers sets. All of them...DLP, LCD TV's that have these plastic components are doomed without the ability to repair them. Except for the Sony, where they actually created "refurbished" optical blocks with "GLASS" LCD color panels, you can probably find another optical block that will work until it suffers the same fate.....and it will cost you more than just buying a new TV that will probably have a better picture.

Username: Tonypipitone

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info. I looked on Sony's support website and found the alert attached below. It looks like it has been extended until June 30, 2010. I plan on calling them to get this fixed.

Certain 2006 Model Year SXRD Television Extended Warranty Information - Optical Block
Posted: 10/21/2008

Models: KDS-50A2000, KDS-55A2000, KDS-60A2000, KDS-R60XBR2, KDS-R70XBR2

As part of the Sony commitment to quality, Sony is announcing that it is extending the limited warranty (parts and labor), in the United States, on the optical block of the above-referenced 2006 model SXRD televisions until June 30, 2010, regardless of purchase date. For any customer who requires repair of the optical block on one of the affected models, Sony will cover the cost of the optical block repair (parts and labor) at no charge through June 30, 2010. This extended warranty does not apply to the replaceable projection lamp or the other parts that may be used in the televisions.

Sony is also announcing that for any owner of these model televisions who paid out-of-pocket expenses on or before December 31, 2008 for an estimate or repair service to replace the optical block, Sony will reimburse the customer by mail for the cost of the optical block and the labor expense to replace it, subject to certain conditions. To receive reimbursement, please follow completely the directions on the claim form for reimbursement; all claims must be postmarked by January 31, 2009. See the claim form for complete terms and conditions.

All other terms of the Sony limited warranty continue to apply. Sony utilizes a network of hundreds of qualified independent third-party servicers to perform in-home television warranty service. Sony, through its authorized servicer network, will endeavor to repair your set within 30 days of your first contact. For diagnosis, warranty service, or if you are not provided a repair within 30 days, please contact Sony at (888) 649-7669.

Post Number: 4
WOW.....That's awsome.....I thought everyone was SOL.

Congrats dude, I hope they come through, the guy that they sent out to me was a real cool guy and a friggin' "Wizard". This guy had wires flying everywhere. My TV looks brand new after a recent new bulb....check this site out on Ebay....I really recommend them if you need a bulb ... factory Philips bulb in a refurb housing $109 bucks ( this is the link to my bulb in particular) http://cgi.ebay.com/For-Sony-XL-5100-XL5100-XL-5100U-F-9308-760-0-LAMP-CAGE_W0QQitemZ380090207254QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item587f244c16

By the way, I found my images of my TV anomaly.....here they are, if this works !!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Post Number: 5
B I G P.S............Bulb had NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ISSUE......I just got bulb >>> X-mas 2009.........optical block was replaced early 2009...................... just don't want to create confusion. Thanks

Username: Dwwood33

I have a KF 50D200A. I live in Thailand and the TV is just over 3 years old. I replaced the lamp that I purchased from Sony Thailand ($300) only for the lamp. I still have a green hue to my picture. I have been told by 2 different Sony serivce centers here in Thailand that it will cost another ($600) for a new optical block and they will not replace it for free. I have sent Sony Thailand emails and never once recieved a reply. Oh yes I paid over $2000 USD for the TV. Does anyone have any leads of used or rebuilt optical blocks.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1335
My KDS-60A2000 has around 9000 hours on it and well into the 2nd lamp. Am I out of the woods yet? I just caught up on this thread on Sony's 'extended' warranty for this set ran out 2 weeks ago.
My picture is fine.....And since this is supposed to be heat related, or at least was with the LCD sets, I make sure to keep everything vacuumed and the house cool.

Post Number: 6
I'm surprised that you haven't noticed an issue......my experience with it is that you have to have a very gray scene to clearly detect the anomaly.....if you look at the photos posted in this thread, you can clearly see a version of the anomaly in a couple of instances.......you might try to switch inputs to the antennae input to see a full static screen and look for areas that appear different from the rest......if the static (snow) on the screen is the same all over the screen, then you are IN DEED , one of the very lucky few.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1340
Both HDMI inputs are OK. one is from the small dish box and the other from my upsampler DVD player.
My Nintendo WII is thru component.

All are OK...for now.
BUT, the question remains. Am I lucky or UNlucky that I had no failure before the extended warranty period ran out? If I believe SONY's website, quoted above, by going past June of '10, I will now have to pay OUT OF POCKET for a fix which if needed just a couple months ago would have been a freebie. And furthermore, since the problem as explained above is basically 'yellowing' plastic, just like car headlight covers, than there is NO DODGING it. I'm on borrowed time with something I simply don't want to afford to fix and should have been made with heatproof optical glass IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Sorry I yelled.

Post Number: 7
My set had like 3600 hr's on it at the time I made the determination and called Sony. I have to admit.....something just wasn't right for months, but I just couldn't zero in on it......then the Blackhawks game against Detroit at Wrigley Field and...WALLAAAAAAA.......all that grey scenery finally clearly indicated the anomaly......I happened to be recording the game in HD at the time, so I could "PAUSE" the action at exactly the right spot to take a photo of my tv.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 321
Guys,
I have a few links here that may hel you guys with these Sony haze issues. First of all, low-cost light engines are finally available here:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sony+engine

Another very helpful site explaining the issue and showing how to replace the part is here:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonykdf-55wf655opticalblockrepl acement

I hope this helps!

Username: Ecoustics4

Sony will sell you a replacement TV for about 10% of the suggested retail price if you are having problems with your optical block.

I had a KDSR70XBR2 and was able to buy a current model 60" LCD from Sony for $300 (retail over $3,000). I can still choose to repair my 70" optical block as well. Just contact Sony and say you're having a problem with the optical block and you read about a class action suit.

I didn't have to get angry or fight - just 2 short phone calls, a request for some pictures and 2 weeks later I had a new TV.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2324
I see DM is now selling 'rebuilt' light engines.
Speaking about the Sony SXRD part::
the guy I spoke with does not know if they use an upgraded part for the plastic parts which fail in the factory unit. I don't even know if such upgraded parts are available. The other rebuilders I've communicated with have do NOT upgrade and rebuild 'em essentially stock.
Therefore:: you should have the same problem again.....sooner or later.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2325
CR,
I'm going thru the SAME procedure right now with Sony.
Now I've got a Sony Boat Anchor.
At least the optical block is worth 75$ to a rebuilder::

Username: Sonylistens

Post Number: 7
Hello,
My name is Mike from sony electronics the sonylistens team. If you are having any problems with a sony TV, computer, or other electronic please contact us at sonylistens@am.sony.com so that we can assist you. Include your name, product model, serial #, (forum) in the subject area, and a way for us to contact you.
Thanks,
Mike Puma
Sonylistens

Username: Bobby_wahl

What to Do
Bobby Wahl- KDSR70XBR2 - - purchased-Aug.-2007
w/5 year ex. warranty---thought it was my lamp replaced it , not the problem, I have a green picture.

Username: Ninaplat

THORNTON, TX United States

Our Sony KDS55A2020 that we purchased in September 2007 has
full blown optical block problems now--no white, just greenish tint. We had replaced our KDF55WF655 with this Sony while it was still under warranty but of course the warranty is out on this one now. We have bought 5 Sony LCDs and 3 of the 5 have had optical block problems! I am sure there is no extended warranty for the KDS models at this
time. I always trusted Sony and thought they were the best but I am sure having second thoughts with replacing this one with another Sony . Our son-in-law was a diehard Sony guy but has recently
jumped ship to Sharp. Afraid we may have to follow!

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2516
Sony is awful.
They lost or settled several Class Action lawsuits concerning optical block problems on virtually ALL the RPTVs they made...both LCD and SXRD.

Since you didn't OPT OUT of the settlement you are in it, like it or NOT. I'm sure Sony's extended warranty made you feel a whole lot better.

Call Sony and start the procedure to Buy a 'new' LCD panel from Sony. The deal varies day-to-day, and you'll have to provide photograhic proof of the malfunction along with the SR# tag from the set....so Sony doesn't settle up for the same set more than once.

My advice? Call Sony and find out about the mediation deal. Take the deal and sell the set. Take the profit and whatever you were going to spend....and go get a Panasonic Plasma.

That's what I did.

Post Number: 8
Bobby Wahl,
I feel extra bad for you......that 70" tv had to be STUNNING before all of this bullshit. My TV today , since the optical block replacement is still perfect and a FAR BETTER movie experience than my 50" Panasonic plasma that I bought 6 mo.'s ago for regular TV viewing. As posted earlier in this thread, my optical block was a refurb BY SONY where they rebuilt the optical block with glass LCD's. This doesn't change your dilemma, but it does make a statement about the future of that BEAUTIFUL TV in the event that you manage to locate one of these re-furbed optical blocks......my first step would be Sony. They sent their guy with the optical block....they must know something. Best of luck, it might be worth the plunge if you can locate it..

Bronze Member
Username: Sonylistens

Post Number: 16
Hey Nina,
Please send your model and serial number to Sonylistens@am.sony.com and we will work on resolving this with you.

Thanks,

Mike Puma

Username: Raleighlasik

Just to keep this post alive I have submitted my story to Sony through their Sony listens email address. Lets see what happens.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2806
Samre5:
The SXRD is NOT liquid crystal. Liquid crystal as used in RPTV (rear projection TV) is 'transmissive'....that is, it is sort of clear.
SXRD is reflective and is silicon 'chip' based and made using technology similar to semiconductors.
The color is from 3 FILTERS of plastic which 'yellow' with age and exposure to the intense rays of the lamp.

All Sony RPTV had 3 active elements, one for each filter. So NO color wheel as in DLP technology.
Sony also had numerous patents on light block/engine tech. I have no idea why they did what they did except somebody upstairs got cheap.

IF Sony issued heat proof glass versions of what WERE plastic filters, I wish I had known. All the rebuilders I spoke with still used plastic, so the problem comes back again in 8000 hours give or take...

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2807
In my last post I was rushed AND had a brain-frt, a bad combo.

SXRD is indeed a form of Liquid Crystal. But it is on the front of a silicon 'chip' and each cell of the 1920x1080 array is off or on.....as a mirror.

The original name for the technology was LCoS. Liquid Crystal on Silicon.

This system was used first by Philips whose set came and went so fast hardly anybody ever even heard of it. My neighborhs had ordered one, but never took delivery since it was withdrawn from market prior to.....
JVC made a set using this technology for a few years.

I think Sony still uses their version, as SXRD in Projectors. IF the cooling and 'fade' of the filters has NOT been addressed, they are a waste, no matter How good a picture them may produce.

Username: Bengreenlee

Well I just had the same green tint issue with my KDS60A2000. I paid $2400 for this tv in 2007. Their service guy told me too bad but the class action lawsuit had expired. They would offer me absolutely no help. They wouldnt even send me replacement part for the optical block to fix on my own. This is the last sony product i will ever purchase.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2942
Glad to hear (not really) that sony is running true to form. That your TV lasted so long actually took you out of the running for a fix.

Now, the solution...and a long term one, at that, is to find a rebuilt light engine using heat-proof GLASS not the plastic which is the source of your problem.
I don't know if anyone uses the better filter material. Someone a few posts back in this thread ref'd Sony using glass filters in the rebuilds. That would be cool, but of course, Sony will get a fortune for the part, rebuilt or not. Aftermarket rebuilders get 300$+ for a rebuilt light engine....I don't know if that is outright but is probably 'exchange'. I sold my light engine for 75$ to a rebuilder.

Sony created a generation of ill-will with the repeated weaseling around about defective sets.

Username: Mk2vrdrvr6

I was almost at my wits end until this post.I have been trying to figure this issue( kds-r70xbr2 green hue) out for some time now.I have contacted Sony a handful of times,only to be stone walled.Has anyone had any recent interaction with Sony regarding this issue?Is this something that Sony is fixing?

Post Number: 9
It is November 2012....my Sony KDS-R60XBR1 is still beautiful since the optical block replacement in early 2009 by Sony .....as posted earlier in this thread. Just an update.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2944
2 questions:
How many hours on the set since rebuild?
and
Does Sony's new optical block have GLASS filters and not the original plastic? If plastic, it's only a matter of time before it goes south again.
I LOVED the picture on my SXRD set, but won't buy Sony again.

Post Number: 10
Leo, I don't really know about the hours....my son has it on all day long on weekends and probably a minimum of 6 hours a day. I was told by the Sony tv guy at the time of the optical block replacement in my home, that the refurbed optical block that he was installing had glass filters ( at the time, he referred to them as "glass LCD's" ) built into it......not plastic. This tv is used a LOT. I've replaced 2 bulb's since the rebuild.....they are so cheap that it's worth having a brand new tv every year or so. The picture is fantastic....even by today's standards. I'm glad I didn't have to scrap my investment like a lot of SXRD owners. From what most people are saying, it seems that these optical blocks with glass LCD's were isolated to only Sony refurb's installed under warranty at the time by Sony authorized repair guys. It must have been a special precaution due to the risk of further litigation. I would imagine they would REALLY be foolhardy to replicate what caused the initial massive lawsuit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us