Lyngsat question

Silver Member
Username: Lroy

Post Number: 492
On the Lyngsat satellite chart, in the BEAM column, can someone explain the meaning of Conus and Beam #

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 17117
Click on Conus and you will see a map showing the geographical spread of the signal.
Beam can be Conus - you will se the Geographical spread or Spot - a restrict area only.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 12038
Conus spread signal on great surface and Spot Beam spread it on local area.

That's why you see local channels on Spot Beam.

It's a way for provide more channels with the FCC regulation Frequencies.

Silver Member
Username: Lroy

Post Number: 493
Thank you all for explaining.....

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4510
Actually anything listed under Beam is the Sattellite Beam name
They can call it call it Counus, Hemi, Ku or anything they want
What it represents the coverage area from Sattellite owner's specs
In many cases designated dBW value can determine size of dish required in a specific zone on the map

Many pay service providers like DTV and DN do not want map coverage listed
This is why you won't find map coverage all the time

This link may provide what is listed and what's not:
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/america.html

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4511
By moving the mouse on the orbit location is a hyper link
It will take you to the specific beam listed by the sattellite specs

Where the f#ck is the aribian boi to disinform what I'm saying?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17125
King: Jesus is busy planning a Christmas party for his own burthday. You will see him in many threads.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 748
CONUS stands for Continental U.S.

Spot stands for Spot Beam. Like a flashlight illuminating a specific spot or region.

Hemi stands for Hemisphere (North or South America)

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4513
Name is just a name
It can stands for whatever their owners want to call it
The link I provided will show what it is

Under the beam column as questioned above
Beam name is part of engineering foot prints
I explained it to sattellite hobbiests who want to understand what their true functions represent

Silver Member
Username: Daneegha

Post Number: 177
Continental U.S, What is that mean?????

Silver Member

Post Number: 749
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiguous_United_States

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4514

That's really funny
Whether it stands for contiguous or Continental
Here are 2 different conus coverages:

EchoStar 3 at 61.5°W
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/echo3_conus.html

EchoStar 1 at 77.0°W
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/echo1_conus.html

If you compile both regions then you can cover all United States without going to Canada

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12043
King

Quebec province in Canada is covered and Toronto the bigger city also!

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4515
Hi Plymouth
How are yo?
Toronto and Quebec are within driving distance from the border of the states
DN is spending so much money to make sure signal don't go far pass the border
I'm just providing answers from a correct technical prospective

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12044
Hi King!

I'm fine thank you!

Yes Toronto and Quebec are about 60 miles from the USA border, It is same as for Americans on border and get 82W.

Good for me!

How is your IPTV project?

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4517
IPTV and VOIP are better than ever
The Free To Air Phone calls are finally here
check ooma.com
It's the product of the future

I tested ooma about 2 years ago was total garbage
Today is the hottest IP product
No monthly fees
You buy the unit one time and pay $12 per year
That's about $1 per month and quality beats Magic Jack
Quality as good as Vonage
No computer required
I buy them in bulk for $180 sold for $250

Silver Member
Username: Chumley

Post Number: 780
pay $12 per year , That's about $1 per month...

thats good info

Thanks King !!!

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4518
My pleasure
To eliminate yor monthly phone bills
You can even use yor old phone number $40 one time charge
Or get a new free phone number at any area code yo want

This sucker can block any unwanted phone number or any general area code
I heard apple is behind this product

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12047
King

I use Skype to talk with few French and Belgian friend for nothing at all and it work very well, it cost nothing.

I agree that IPTV work much better than before!

Thanks for your reply!

Silver Member
Username: Last_supper

Rush is a HO-MO

Post Number: 286
Jimmy don't like that sucker

Silver Member

Post Number: 751
I have a fixed dish 30 inch on Echostar 3 here in Quebec and the quality displayed is 94% on all the channels. Extremely strong indeed. They sure spill into Canada.

If we just could get a working standalone bin then that dish would be more than worthless....

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4519

Yo must be related to the aribian boi
Of course Canadian cities neighbouring US will get signal
Quebec and Toronto do not represent all of canada
They are few miles outside the border as Plymouth stated
Click on the 2 links I provided and yo'll understand foot prints and geography in 2 clicks

Plymouth
I'm talking about domestic phones
OOMA can be used as a house phone to call from anywhere to US and Canada without a computer

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12048
King

"I'm talking about domestic phones"

Yes I know! I use my cellular phone for call over the Canada, I have 1000 minutes free per month.

Sorry but I don't see the diffence between use my computer or my home phone, so I can use Skyper eveywhere with my account which is free, I can call a home phone number also for very few $$$.

So I can use a Web cam and chat or send files, I think that actual old phone is good only because you have a Directory and your own number nothing more, I can't see why they charge for long distance in 2009 when you can talk in entire world on internet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17129
King: This product is cheaper than ooma.

https://www.tk6000.com/

Silver Member
Username: El_toro_the_great

NC USA

Post Number: 261
On the Lyngsat satellite chart, in the BEAM column, can someone explain the meaning of Conus and Beam #

CONUS.
United States territory, located within North America between Canada and Mexico.

BEAM #
A spot beam is a satellite beam which is focused on
a relatively small portion of the earth's surface.
The coverage area of a beam is referred to as the footprint.

BEAM number
Number of spot beams required to provide coverage
of the entire United States territory.

Upload

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4520
In the beam column is the beam name
Sometimes the name is generic just Ku or C
It's time to start learning the correct info from right people

Hey nalin
the TK6000 is exactly like the magic Jack and it is $99
MJ requires computer this one is doesn't
This about the only difference

The ooma has a very advanced FEC and handles packets drop out very smart
Just keep an eye on this product and watch how it will change VOIP just like MJ did

Bronze Member
Username: Samsirhc

Post Number: 67
Ok thats not nice

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17130
King Tapeman said:
"Hey nalin
the TK6000 is exactly like the magic Jack and it is $99. MJ requires computer this one is doesn't. This about the only difference.
The ooma has a very advanced FEC and handles packets drop out very smart "

Try to be realistic. I have owned a Linksys PAP II for the past 4 years and there are very few packet dropouts and voice reception or transmission problem. Talking with Europe and India on a very average priced service (NOT Vonage) I have had problems only at Chinese festive occasions, because the service provider has targeted the ethnic Chinese. This device costs between $50-$65. A good 5.8GHz memory/speaker phone costs $30 - I just bought one. This combination can be used on a ethernet router without the need of a computer.
If you replace the above combo with a single device, you get Talk6000.
Next is cost of USA Voip phone number (SIP termination). These are very cheap - as low as $1 per month. Somehow, this company manges to give one free with the unit. Again, a two year cost of a phone number is built into the price. They make profit by charging for international calls (i.e. calls to countries other than USA and Canada). Again, that sounds to me OK, because there is such a lot of competition for calls to within USA, that there is no profit in it - you might as well give away the calls to USA and Canada for free.
The only downside for Canadians is that they can't get a Canadian phone number. Same problem applies to Majicjack, which I have downgraded because of USB connection and need for having computer on all the time.

I think you will find the Talk6000 device as good and effective as Ooma, and distictly cheaper.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4521
I won't disagree I'm sure it's a great product
But keep an eye on how strong the ooma would be
Yo know me when I speak highly about a specific product

ooma is japanese product
Keep yor eyes open in 2010

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 1967
C/P ooma suks BIG Time

What's troubling about ooma is the fact that a caller in one location will be using the phone line of a caller in another location. Suppose that a person has a voice recorder connected to their phone line that records every conversation that is placed through their phone line. Can you imagine all of the private secrets that one might be able to record and post to the Internet? This really scares me. Even if the recordings were not made public, a person could, for example, capture credit card information to make illegal transactions or just steal personal identifying information to get other credit cards or access to bank accounts. Oh, this is scary.

ooma said later in its FAQ that "ooma has been engineered to detect and thwart third-parties from being able to listen in on your phone calls. As a result, ooma is no less secure than a traditional landline." As an engineer in the VoIP and telecom business, I do not believe they could put any form of technology into the ooma device that would prevent me from recording conversations on a landline. If they did, then perhaps that might be worth patenting, because that would truly be unique. My guess is that they are merely monitoring voltage changes and that will not work. We believe there may be a huge security problem here.

The other interesting implication is that since callers will be making calls through your broadband connection to your phone line, you will sacrifice some performance on your broadband connection. ooma has an answer to that concern, too. They said, "We use a high-quality, low-bandwidth compression algorithm to minimize the impact of calling on each ooma customer's Internet connection." OK, but that is still greater than zero and completely contradicts another statement where they said, "Our engineers have toiled around the clock to make sure your ooma devices provide the SAME voice quality and reliability of service you'd get with a traditional landline." (Emphasis added by ooma.)

One cannot have both "high-quality, low-bandwidth compression" and "the SAME voice quality". There is a lie in here somewhere. As anybody in this business knows, low-bandwidth voice compression means that there is a loss in quality. It might be minor, but there is a loss nonetheless. So, it is not "the SAME."

ooma really worries us. They appear to introduce significant security risks to users and are not being entirely truthful.

Username: Jjjohnson

Anchorage, Alaska USA

Post Number: 1
Yo know me when I speak highly about a specific product

ooma is japanese product
Keep yor eyes open in 2010

Once again the King has spoken

Yo know me , YEAH we know Yo
Upload

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4522
I respect Zulu's opinon he's got brains
And definately the post raises some concerns
I still consider ooma is the most awesome product I tested first hand from quality prospective

Unfortunately yo pal ain't got no brains nor a clue on which product I'm talking about jj-johnson
So take yor first usless post and shove it up yor azz
I ain't got no time for tards

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17135
Zulu: Linksys Pap II NA is the product I have used for 4 years. The Linksys Pap II (without NA) is the one used by Vonage. Linksys is now in the Cisco stable and Cisco is the world's most renowned and the biggest communications company. I don't think there is any validity in your statement:-
"The other interesting implication is that since callers will be making calls through your broadband connection to your phone line, you will sacrifice some performance on your broadband connection."
I have a 3 MB connection and before that I had a 1 MB connection and I use internet on two computers plus two Voip phones. I have had all 4 simultaneously active and except when there is a big (10-30Mb) file being downloaded, there is not visible or audible deterioration in speed or quality.
In fact the biggest myth being propagated about Voip is the deterioration in quality and speed - that is all B.S. Calls to India on Voip are perfect in quality with my Voip setup going to Voip lines at the other end.
At voipsupply you can buy a Grandtream BT201 for $49, so the fact that Talk600 can give you a phone number and a similar ethernet phone for $!00 is believable. By the way, Grandstream is another well known Voip telephone maker.
As I said, I am just waiting for a Canadian outfit to start supplying it for about C$ 140 - for a "never-another-phone-bill" it would be a good buy at that price.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us