Cable splitter.

Bronze Member
Username: Plutoman_sr

Post Number: 14
Nalin, please share your expertise on this. I have high speed internet(Rogers).When I connected the cable to my TV, I could see most of the channels grainy. What type of a splitter I could use to split the signals so that I can watch TV and surf the net. Your input will be much appreciated. thanks in advance bro.

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Sac, Calif U.S.A

Post Number: 869
Pluto, I had the same problem.Your splitter must
be rusty, Use any brand new splitter, you will be fine.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 17058
A good quality 5-1000 MHz splitter would do it, I think. There is always a decibel loss - about 3-5 in any splitter. The better the quality, the lesser the loss.

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 12003
pluto hammond

Use a splitter without filter inside and "important" a signal booster on the output to your TV.

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 3233
use a tap, much better then a splitter.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Thank you all, bros for your input. dantetn, could you elaborate, what is a tap and how to use it?

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 1963
To answer your question, a tap is purely a splitter, but one with a managed output on one side.

If you are setting up a distribution system of say 5 flats or houses, running a single cable and taking feeds off the cable as it runs past the flat/house, the outlet at the beginning of the run will be much stronger than the one at the end, as the one at the end will have gone through several splitters.

Using taps, accounts for this, so if you wanted to increase the output at your flat/house, simply use a tap with a lower output attenuation.

Given an insertion loss of 4db per tap, a line of five taps will mean that at the last outlet, the original signal will have been reduced by five times 4db and no extra attenuation is needed on the output. (in real terms 6db is about the minimum output attenuation on a tap)

Gold Member
Username: Saqeeb9000

Post Number: 6519
zulu any pic to illustrate tap?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
thanks Zulu.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Actually my problem is ,the grainy pictures I am getting when I connect the cable from outside directly to the TV without splitting. ( mind that I have only internet subscription). How can I make this pictures clear? Any suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Sac, Calif U.S.A

Post Number: 872
Pluto, Only HD tvs can pick up some Local channels, (I'm talking about those we usually get with antenna) but You can't do any thing with rest of the channels.
Buy IKS recr..

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 745
Pluto if you only suscribed to High Speed Internet, the cable guy installed a trap outside to block everything but Internet. You won't receive anything else.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12017
Bernard

I tried on mine and I get 12 channels, but those channels are without interest.

I have a filter in hand that a friend which work for cable cie give me, I could open it to see what is inside.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17100
Pluto belatedly stated "I connect the cable from outside directly to the TV without splitting. ( mind that I have only internet subscription)."

The Outer Limits answered: "Pluto if you only suscribed to High Speed Internet, the cable guy installed a trap outside to block everything but Internet. You won't receive anything else."

Case closed.

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 3235
u will get basic channels if u sub to internet only. sounds like the cable from the cable box on ur house to the tv is bad.

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
Dantetn he says he is connecting it directly to his TV and does not get anything. But his Internet is working. So the cable is OK.

Don't look elsewhere, the cable guy DID install a trap to block everything else but Internet. Like Nalin says, case closed.

Plymouth I think Videotron gives you the low band channels with their Internet. This is why you are getting channels 2 to 13. Pure junk indeed.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17107
The Outer Limits: I used the strong language of "Case closed" because I was worried that people would go into further details of defeating the trap.

This file is therefore closed.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
I get all the basic chanels when i connect direct to Tv. The problem is picture is not clear but grainy and audio is not clear either. My question is , Is there a way, I could make the picture clear.

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 4138
Watch out pluto Nalin will call the cops on you.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12036
Bernard

It's not 2 to 13 that I get but few on low band and some in different band.

Silver Member

Post Number: 747
OK Plymouth, you get only the channels that are close to the trap bandpass edges. So their trap is effective if the video is grainy.

No Pluto. You cannot improve a noisy image. Signal is already burried in noise. Nothing can improve that.

Like Nalin said, discussing the trap or defeating it will conduct you to jail.

Platinum Member

Canada

Post Number: 12037
Bernard

Yo will not go to jail if you try a spliter but if you remove this filter you will be exposed.

It seems to be a active filter powered by a low voltage on cable line.

Many channels are very clean and few are grainy, but like I says those channels are without interest, I get channels like Global which we can get with rabbit ears or commune chamber.

So I get OTA channels with a pretty good quality and many FTA and feed, then many good channels on stream.
I'm happy with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thanks to all who took part in this discussion. I will leave the cable as it is and use only for the internet. hopefully the standalone FTA era will come back once again. Good luck to all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us