Don't buy Cyberhome

DogFacedBoy
I was excited about the low price I paid for the Cyberhome CH-DVD 300... but after 2 months I've had nothing but problems.

My first unit made very loud noises while playing. I returned it under warranty.
The new unit I received worked for about a week and now will not play any DVDs.

I have made 2 attempts to contact customer support to return the 2nd player they sent and have not heard back from them.

I also have been trying to contact Cyberhome support for about 2 weeks relating to a problem of my CH-DVD 500 not playing dvd's but it will play music cd's. I am very disappointed in their product and their service. I have only used it approximately 6 or 7 times even though I've had it for a while. Also it appears that there are no phone numbers to call.

Derek
Radio Shack sometimes sells cheap DVD players and they are a little easier to get in contact with. Panasonic and Maganavox sell DVD players (on sale) for as little as $50 at Target, Best Buy and BrandSmart.

I've seen the picture on some of the off-brand DVD players and they seem to skip every every 30 or 40 pixle producing a screen door of rear window defroster look to the picture, and you're right, they are a little noise.

The extra $20 might be worth it.

Username: Brett_bose

Post Number: 4
My friends got some piece of junk Cyberhome,and it only plays on the left,and right speakers.

Anonymous

I purchased a DVD recorder from HSN in December. It worked for a month or two but will now not read any DVDs nor will it record any DVD's. I cannot get any reply from Cyberhome. Do not buy from Cyberhome OR HSN. THey don't stand behind their products!

v
Unregistered guest
No support from CyberHome.
No telephone numbers.
No reply to mails
Never buy CyberHome product

Anonymous1
Unregistered guest
I got reply the first time through email. This is the phone number they gave in case they needed to be reached is (888) 302-2727 Monday-Friday 9:00AM-6:00PM Pacific Time

Unregistered guest
My Cyberhome dvd player CH-LDV 700B. I used the unit only a few times.watching one movie it was ok. I watch two movies the last time.The hinge on the right side of the screan melted.It now makes a loud sound while playing. This is because the heat warped the cover that closes down over the dvd. It's warped inward pushing on the dvd. I can't get any support.Purchased this player Feb 29th. All I have is a piece of junk. If anyone gets a number email it to me.

SGB
Unregistered guest
Bought a CyberHome portable DVD player in December of 2003. It has only benn used 4-5 times and won't work anymore. Evidently one of the two micro-switches that detects the door is closed has gone bad. I will just short the connection with some aluminum foil and call it good. I guess you get what you pay for. Won't be buying their stuff again!

Unregistered guest
Well, since it's making the rounds, I purchased the model 712 from HSN online. Yeppers, not once, but TWICE! Both of the products don't work. The first one had the battery broken, so it wouldn't charge. They were supposed to ship me a new battery, but I'm anxiously awaiting that to happen about the same time that elephants learn algebra. I had to ship it back, get refunded and order another one (mind you, refunds take 1-2 billing cycles - but they get their money immediately.... see how it works?). Well, the second one had a scratch on the upper right hand corner of the screen, and when I turned the power on, guess what???? The battery was great...... and the screen wouldn't come on.. BOOO! Just stayed pitch black. One out of every 30 tries, it'll come on like it's supposed to. I've left so many messages on that customer service line, I feel like my ear is hinged to the phone. Of course, no response. I tried emailing Cyberhome from their website, and guess what? Someone got in touch with me, and the return address WON'T ACCEPT INCOMING MAIL!!!!! Now how in the name of Geez-O-Pete am I supposed to converse with ol' what's his face??? I've tried one last time by going to the website again and getting in touch that way, and if they don't answer, forget 'em, I'll buy one for $1,000 just to say that it didn't come from Cyberhome. Sincerely, P. Izd Off

Username: Luvnluck98

Post Number: 1
We bought a cyberhome DVD player for my daughter's room, used it 3 times in 2 weeks and now it won't play any sound with the movies. I've tried everything I can think of and have visited all the trouble-shooting sites I can find. Guess we got what we paied for. I still have time to take it back though, thank goodness! Just dissapointed and have yet to hear back from "support".

Anonymous

i received this worthless cyberhome dvd recorder from radio shack in january 04. just used it a few times because most of the time it does not respond when i press the bottons. NOW it does not want to open---it just says "reading" "open" "reading" "open"....=( why are these stupid people that make them still in business?!? who do i report this to radio shack or BBB?

going crazzzzzy
Unregistered guest
I received a cyberhome dvd recorder on january 04 (paid over $300). I too have used it a few times because MOST of the time it does not respond when i press the bottons. NOW, it will only show "reading" "open" (but it doesn't open) "reading" "open"..... Why are these stupid people still being allowed to stay in business? Who do i report this to radio shack or BBB?

Frustrated in Texas
Unregistered guest
The faceplate on mine fell off about 10 times the first week. Then several weeks later, it has locked up and just says "reading" and no buttons do anything. Power off/on, unplug - nothing changes...

MARK AUDIO4KICKS
Unregistered guest
come on guys,,,cyberhome, i know it only sells for $36 dollars,,,but what do you expect, remember you get what you pay for, spend the extra 30 or 40 bucks and get a real brand name, i bought a samsung and it works great, fantastic picture to.

mark audio4kicks
Unregistered guest
i just read yesterday that panasonic makes the best entry level dvd players, lots of features and all for under a $100 dollars. one model is the panasonic dvd s47s it got great reviews.

Unregistered guest
My CyberHome DVD player worked for two plays. Calling their 800 number doesn't work. Either countless busy signals, or recorded messages (1)about high volumes of calls and to call back later, or (2) to leave a message [which are never returned.] Their current warranty procedure is a "Catch 22" - preauthorization required before product is returned for warranty service, but telephone calls don't work and their website doesn't provide for the preauthorization.

EH
Unregistered guest
Bought one at Best Buy. Worked for 2/3 of one movie, froze up, then rejected ALL discs.

You DO get what you pay for.

Somebody ought to keep track of this lame outfit and make sure they don't sell under any other/future names.

attygal
Unregistered guest
Yup. Bought a DVD recorder. Worked for two months. Then it refused to acknowledge any other disks. $240 down the tubes, if what I'm reading from the rest of you is to be believed. Grrrr....

Unregistered guest
I bought a cyberhome 2500 dvd recorder from HSN. The HSN ad said "one year" return priv. on this model. What a piece of junk, it won't record, it locks up like a computer with the old windows. It won't play any other disc but its own. what a scam. when I called HSN back to return it they said 30 days pal.... what a rip off.. Don't buy cyberhome or From HSN ever again.

Anonymous

I bought a CyberHome portable dvd 707B model in December 04 for my son for Christmas. The store will not take it back. I have to deal with warranty. The company will not get in touch with me to get this problem taken care of. Only used unit approx a dozen times. Makes loud noise and will not play dvds. I feel we got the shaft?!Do not buy CyberHome from Walmart.

Anonymous

Purchased CyberHome CH-DVR 1500 from Walmart 8 Months ago. It worked ok for 6 months then the usual failures occured(unresponsive controls,"READING" "OPEN" display etc.). If I unplug it for a week and then turn it on, it sometimes works for a few hours before failing again. Walmart won't take it back....Cyberhome is mute to my emails. Decided to dump it. From what I've read, all +R/+RW stand alone recorders eventually fail in one way or another. I like the format but think I'll wait for the next generation of players to see if they can resolve the problems. If not, I'll go with the more reliable -R/-RW format.

Unregistered guest
Bought Cyberhome 1500 and, like everyone else's, it stopped working 4 months later. Am now trying to take Cyberhome up on their Repair or Replace offer, but they DON'T RESPOND to THEIR OWN email forms (necessary to get an "RMA" number to ship unit back to them)! Have sent it TWO separate times, and waited 7 BUSINESS DAYS each time...but NO REPLY WHATSOEVER! This company is the WORST ever!!!

catwoman32
Unregistered guest
I bought the CyberHome CH-DVR 2500 from HSN and used it twice then it would read "no disc". I sent it back and they sent a replacment. I have used that one 3 times and now the disc tray will not open. I saw that this is happening everywhere. I have sent them 2 emails to get the "RMA" and no response. I have been on hold for 30 minutes now, waiting for them to pick up. (1-888-302-2727) .I would definitely not put this on my WORST ENEMY!!!!

catwoman32
Unregistered guest
I meant to add you can try to go to this website to fill out a form to get an "RMA" http://www.cyberhome.com/recorders_special_offer.asp. They state they will repair or replace it.

Unregistered guest
Cyberhome SUCKS big time, never buy cyberhome. Spread the word .....

Unregistered guest
All,

It appears that we have all been had, can someone set up a website " petition " that we can mention Wal Mart and HSN as conspirators to defraud the public. Nothing works better that bad publicity be fore Christmas. 1000 names should do. If someone can do this email me @ bryand_s@bellsouth.net

katbeyond2000
Unregistered guest
do not buy!!! I bought my cyberhome player in Feb and it worked fine for like 2 months then one day it just quit. It won't even turn on. They have no customer support and I think their website is even being shutdown.....They suck!! Even though they say you get what you pay for I don't think that should apply when you have a guarantee.

Unregistered guest
I recieved a Cyberhome CH-LDV-707B for Christmas and we have used it only a few times. Now, when we are ready to go on a trip, it will not turn on. Not with the battery or with the AC power or the car adapter. This product is junk. I am contacting the BBB about this company.

heidi
Unregistered guest
try 510.226.2723

the 888.302.2727 will not get you a person, it's just a recording.

heidi
Unregistered guest
it took a LOT of detective work but 510.824.3993 might actually get you a human if you just hold on the line. this number has hold music and everything!

heidi
Unregistered guest
it was 20 minutes on the phone and i finally got a guy at the 510.824.3993 number. even if you don't have the receipt, the parts are under warranty for one year. you can find the manufacturing date on the bottom of the unit. it will be $89.95 plus one way shipping cost to send your player in for repair if it is under less then 1 year old. if not it will be $139.95. you are required to get a return material authorization number from them before you send it in so you actually have to call them first but the address is:

cyberhome service center
48455 fremont blvd
fremont, ca 94538

they said that if the unit has more damage than it costs to pay the repairman, that they will send you a new unit. they also cover the return shipping cost.

hope any of this helps.

heidi
Unregistered guest
it was 20 minutes on the phone and i finally got a guy at the 510.824.3993 number. even if you don't have the receipt, the parts are under warranty for one year. you can find the manufacturing date on the bottom of the unit. it will be $89.95 plus one way shipping cost to send your player in for repair if it is under less then 1 year old. if not it will be $139.95. you are required to get a return material authorization number from them before you send it in so you actually have to call them first but the address is:

cyberhome service center
48455 fremont blvd
fremont, ca 94538

they said that if the unit has more damage than it costs to pay the repairman, that they will send you a new unit. they also cover the return shipping cost.

hope any of this helps.

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 464
What exactly do you guys expect when you buy this cheap trash? There's a reason decent ones cost more.

Username: Jvilla

I too bought the cyberhome 1500. I actualy took it a step further and took a look inside for myself. They wanted to charge almost half the price to repair it. The whole problem is the pice of junk powersupply it comes with. I would never buy anything again from them. They are crooks, and have it setup so that you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. My gut told me to stay away from this. I have always bought the best, but I went cheap this time and not only got a product that does not work, it did not even last a month!!! After some testing I did on the cyberhome they should fire their engineers.We should sue them for selling their junk!! I made the repairs myself and even sent them the fix for it myself just to be a smart***.

sunni1day
Unregistered guest
I, too, purchased a cybehome 1500 and had the same problems as other-it continually said that it was reading the disc and none of the buttons responded! I did reach repair and got an RMA and sent the unit in for repair. Got it back 6 weeks later and had the exact same problem. Called repair again and they said to send it in again. Did that! Got it back! Same problem. Called repair again, this time they said they would send a new unit the 1530. It worked twice and now when you turn it on the screen says "Load" and none of the buttons respond. Same problem, new word. I brought this on HSN and it wasn't cheap- $300 so I really do expect to get what I paid for. I am curious how John Villa fix his 1530. It's nice to have a place to vent. I wish I had looked online before buying the unit though.

Anonymous

I bought Cyberhome 2500 DVD burner from HSN for $290.00. They now sell the 1500 for $159.00. I bought an extended warrenty. After 2 services under mfg. warrenty Cyberhome replaced it with the cheaper 1530 as the parts are not available for the 2500. I got a reply right away from Cyberhome but it was no help. HSN is putting it on Cyberhome & vice-versa. So I am out the added money. I won't use HSN EVER!

Unregistered guest
I just bought a Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 and tried to play "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" and "Hero" on it.
The "Crouching Tiger" played OK on it, including the movie and the extra features. But it would only play the movie of "Hero" but NOT the extra features.
The extra features on "Hero" played fine on my other SONY dvd player I own.

Unregistered guest
I purchased a CH-DVD 300 and the box came without a remote control. Brandsmart told me to go to the Cyberhome site. When I e-mailed them about my situation they responded once and said I could go to their online store and purchase one. Well, there online store does not carry them. I e-mailed them and explained this and have not heard back from them. PS. A universal remote does not work with Cyberhome.
Bummer

catherine howell
Unregistered guest
I purchased ch-dvd 1500 from hsn and it did not work so I call them and they told me to call a number,when I finally got them they said send it to them and they sent me back a ch-dvd 1530 and it does not work at all It stays on load .It will not open at all,so I will never buy from HSN.also it was'nt cheap over $300 DO NOT BUY FROM THE HOME SHOPPING NETWORK,THEY DO'NT BACK UP THIER PRODUCT.DON'T BUY CYBERHOME

Brenda
Unregistered guest
Mine Doesen't work either: Hope this helps someone
it worked for my friend but not me this is what cyberhome has on their website, use it to upgrade your 2500 and one other..GOOD Luck.
There are 2 BIOS Updates available for the CH-DVR 2500: I Know it's a long explantion but hopefully it will work. Here is the link.

http://www.cyberhome.com/downloads.asp?Product=2500

Print Update Instructions

U0407200401XA.ZIP
Version: U0407200401X
Date: 6/9/04
Size: 1.47MB

Description/Instructions:

To upgrade the firmware of your CH-DVR 2500:
FIRST, FINALIZE ANY DISCS THAT ARE STILL UN-FINALIZED. IF YOU WAIT UNTIL AFTER THIS UPGRADE IS APPLIED TO FINALIZE A DISC, THE DISC WILL NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY. DISCS BURNED WITH THE OLD FIRMWARE MUST BE FINALIZED WITH THE OLD FIRMWARE.

Download the ZIP file above and extract the UPD file. Burn the UPD file to a CD-R or CD-RW disc using Windows XP or a burner program such as NERO. Only CD-R or CD-RW discs can be used to update, not DVD recordable formats.

Place the disc in the recorder and press ENTER when you see the file name on-screen.

The screen will turn GREEN. -- DO NOT TOUCH ANY BUTTONS OR POWER THE UNIT OFF -- The screen will begin to turn black, little by little as a black bar moves down from the top as shown:

Eventually, the screen will turn completely black and the player will RESET. At this point, remove the disc. The upgrade is complete. *If the unit loads the disc again and the file name appears on-screen, do not press ENTER again. Simply eject the disc.

Enter the SETUP MENU with the SETUP button on the remote and choose FACTORY RESET as shown below:

Check the VERSION in the SETUP under SYSTEM SETUP -> VERSION. This should be the same as the file name listed for this update.

Changes in this version:

Fix HRC / IRC Tuner Issues

Fix picture is in Widescreen format when switching between DVD and TV mode

Fix 5.1/2CH VFD display problem

Fix weekly recording issues such as recordings not beginning on time.

Fix EDIT TITLE on DVD+R discs.

Fix PAUSE during recording feature.

D042130A.ZIP
Version: 130A
Date: 6/9/04
Size: 700KB

Description/Instructions:

This is a ZIP File that contains a firmware upgrade for the DVD Recorder's SERVO. You must first extract the *.B00 file from this ZIP file, then use a BURNING program such as NERO to burn the *.B00 file to a CD-R/RW disc that will be used to upgrade the unit. You must use the settings: NO MULTISESSION and JOLIET FILE SYSTEM. Only CD-R or CD-RW discs can be used to update, not DVD recordable formats.

Important: You cannot simply drag the file to a recordable disc using Windows XP. This will create a Multi-Session Disc.

This upgrade improves DVD+R/RW Disc Compatibility for recording.

You must apply the Firmware Update above before applying this SERVO Update.

To upgrade the Servo Firmware of your CH-DVR 2500:
Enter the SETUP MENU and choose SYSTEM SETUP -> VERSION. To apply this upgrade, your DVD Recorder must meet the minimum requirements as shown in the following diagram:

*If your recorder does not meet these requirements, DO NOT APPLY THIS UPGRADE!

Place the Upgrade Disc in the recorder and press ENTER when you see the file name on-screen.

You will see the message "UPGRADE" in the bottom right corner of the screen and the disc door will OPEN, then CLOSE. -- DO NOT TOUCH ANY BUTTONS OR POWER THE UNIT OFF --

After a few seconds, the disc door will OPEN again. Remove the disc. -- DO NOT TOUCH ANY BUTTONS OR POWER THE UNIT OFF -- WAIT FOR THE UNIT TO RESET.

After the unit RESETS, the disc tray will CLOSE. If the upgrade disc is still in the unit, simply press EJECT to eject the disc.

Check the VERSION in the SETUP under SYSTEM SETUP -> VERSION. The last version on the bottom of the screen should show the version listed above.

Changes in this version:

Improve DVD+R/RW Disc Compatibility

Unregistered guest
I have a Cyberhome CH-LDV 707B. It was dropped and now has a damaged ribbon cable batween the base unit and the LCD screen. No help from Cyberhome. If anyone out there has a broken CH-LDV 707B and would like to sell it to me, I would be happy to hear from you. Email me at tomfixit1@hotmail.com

Terzand
Unregistered guest
Cyberhome sucks big time. Returned my unit after two weeks for warranty repair. Received it back after more than a month, with other problems. I believe they simply send my defective unit to John Doe, and I have his now. Down, down, down...

Unregistered guest
Was just wondering if anyone knew if the

48455 Fremont Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538

is the address for their headquarters. I know it's the service center, but there's nothing else to show if it's actually their headquarters.

Unregistered guest
I have had a 1500 for a year now. I put a fan in it plus I turn it off when not in use. I only use it when I have too. The tuner sucks so I use an old VCR as the input. Have trouble with it finalizing right sometimes. Timer will not work right sometimes when there is more than one set. Anyway I bought a Phillips soon afterwards. It has done great so far. It will play a Cyberhome made dvd for about 5 minutes and shuts off. The same DVD's do work in most other players. I do have a Panasonic unit now with VCR so I can dup my home videos. Works great but has a remote with too many buttons. I do a lot of recording scifi stuff for my son overseas. He hasn't complained much since I started using the Phillips and the Panasonic. The only thing better is a Sony and I am looking at one with a harddrive. Today against better judgement I bought two Cyberhome 300S players. My brother has one and has had no problems for about a year. These were $28 after a $10 rebate. Cheap enough to gamble and toss if I have to. Gave one to Mother in Law. Talk about getting even. Going to do the update on the CH 1500 when I get time. I have everything and if it dies in the process they say the drive will work in a PC. I agree Cyberhome should be ashamed of itself.

Unregistered guest
Looks like I have REALY bad luck 'couse I have the "CH-LDV 707B" it worked fine until I knocked it of the seat of the truck (it fell 12 inches) and the ribbon cable broke!
(same as 'Tom Fixit1'above) So I am also looking for a replacement please E-mail me if you have one. (P.S.go ahead and contact Tom Fixit1 first)

Anonymous

I bought the cyberhome 1500 from Walmart and the warranty had just run out when it quit working. Cyberhome said the would replace it with the 1530 even though the warranty was was out. Seems this should have been a recall.
Got the 1530 model and worked for about a month with my having to turn off completely about every other time due to lock up. Now when the program I wonted to record is done, the little red circle comes up and keeps going but never finishes. Can't get it to do anything, have to remove power from unit.Now it say empty disk when I try to play a recorded program, and when I hit record I get message recording stopped because disk is full. Open take disk out and put back hit play and get message empty disk.
After two machines that did not work, I will never by anything made by cyberhome again.and I have already warned a friend that was about to buy a dvd recorder for his computer made by cyberhome.

Race Boy
Unregistered guest
I've Had a cyberhome CH-DVD 300 for 6 months and it's worked until now. Now it has sound problems, but I figured how to "temperarily" fix them. If I have any problems, I turn it on, then unplug it , plug it back in. and It works for awhile. If I keep doing that It works. That will fix almost any problem on many electronic devices. I hope this has helped somebody.

Unregistered guest
I bought my unit through HSN, and I feel that they should take some responsibility for selling this piece of junk. So What I suggest everybody due is call HSN and spend as must time talking to there operators, about any old thing. This will tie up there lines and hurt there bottom line

Cyberhome_Buzz
Unregistered guest
Glad to find the Fremont address on this board. I live 10 miles from Fremont. Anyone ever went down there?

Needless to say, I have this CH-LDV 700B sitting here malfunctioning.

Username: Campbellkidz1

Bay City, Michigan U.S.A

If Mr, John Villa would help me get the parts to fix the ChDVR 1500, I would be glad to fix it for others, if you get it to me prepaid both ways , but I have to get the parts first, can anyone get a hold of him? and you would have to pay for the parts.

Username: Campbellkidz1

Bay City, Michigan U.S.A

Post Number: 2
if you do not want your dvd recorders any longer you can send them to me. I wnt to see if it is all the same thing they are breaking down from, and see if fixing them is feasable,like how long do they last aftr utting new parts in. I am serious about this I too have been taken I bought a chdvr 1500 from walmart for 250 bucks and at that price, I should get, a good unit, I did the updates now it will not read certain movies that I buy from the store it says READ ERROR and will not stop this, ones that any other system will read, but if I put the disks CYBERHOME RW that came with it, I reads them excellent and quickly.

john is mad
Unregistered guest
I have the CH-LDV 700B and the screen is bright white and will not go away. It worked for 3 months and now just white with a little bit of image, I think it might be screen burn. Is there any fix?

Unregistered guest
I purchased a Cyberhome CH-DVD 452 through a special offer at my videostore (pay 60, get player + 20 in credit)

Anyway, the stupid player skips on every disc I put in it, not only rental dvds, but also my lord of the rings: return of the king EE which I had just bought. Skipping like crazy. 10 minutes it'll be fine, then it'll hang, skip ahead 2-3 minutes, play for a bit etc. Next time through the scene it will behave, but start skipping at some other point.

Of course the video store no longer has the deal, so no more dvd players to exchange for mine. 'contact the manufacturer' great, I live in the Netherlands, manufacturer is located in Germany. I can send them the player and they'll look at it. Shipping alone would be 25-50% of the player's worth..

Forget it, I got a Philips DVP520 instead, bit more expensive, but GREAT

rdbsquared
Unregistered guest
I too had a defective DVD player. The best way to get their attention is to contact the Better Business Bureau. I emailed the BBB and received a phone call from CyberHome that same night. He even sent me a postage-paid label to return the player for repairs. Have sent it in again and am waiting to hear what the problem is this time. This is the name of the BBB representative for the area where the CyberHome offices are:
Forrest Billings
Dispute Resolution Specialist
GoldenGateBBB
(510) 238-1012
forrest@bbbemail.org

I went to the BBB website and filed a complaint online. I was contacted by the representative and CyberHome very quickly.

Nii
Unregistered guest
I bought a cyberhome CH-DVD 300 last July in Baltimore, MD whiles I was on holiday in the United States (I'm in Ghana, Africa).
I saw this cute DVD player that was rather cheap, ($36.00).
Guess what? Its never been able to play a single DVD, but is able to play regular cd's & mp3's.
I watch my DVD's with DVD players manufactured in Africa. What a shame for an American company, I guess i got my money's worth.

Awesome1
Unregistered guest
I bought the CH-DVD 300 in sept. of 04 the ONLY problem i have been faced with is even with a BIOS update it still never playes DVD-+R disks.

NOTES:
You get what you pay for. I knew it was cheap and i THOUGHT it would do what i wanted to do without spending a lot but now im gunna gohead and spend the extra money at Circut City...

Username: Jmreidfo

I got my CyberHome from Best Buy shortly over 2 years ago. Only the past couple of months it gets ticked off when switching between dvd brands (DVD-R's or rental DVD'S). A dvd-r will play fine then I'll rent a DVD, start watching it, halfway through the movie it starts freeze-framing, skipping, you name it. Then I put in the same dvd-r that worked earlier and it acts like it doesn't want to recognize it (just spins and whirs like it did for the rental). If it does recognize it gets sluggish and acts exactly like the rented DVD. If I wait about a week or two it goes back to normal...it's really seems like there's some type of memory chip that is there and is still trying to work on the rental instead of a known-workable DVD...does anyone have this problem?

Yea, cheap DVD player...I haven't had extreme bad luck with it but I'm wondering if it may need cleaned (does that work?) or if this is a telltale sign of it's demise??????

Gracias amigos!

fish13
Unregistered guest
My family bought a CH-LDV712 sometime last year (for the life of me, I can't remember if it's still under warranty or not), and while I'm not sure if they had any problems with it, I've had it in my posession for only a week and after everything I've read here, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's not working. Before, the screen would turn off if you moved the player ever so slightly (and I'm talking nudging it not even a centimeter). Now after being dropped off my bed (which isn't far at all, and I can guarantee my siblings did worse damage to it considering they think hitting something will fix it), everything functions fine EXCEPT for the monitor. I don't even have the luxury of hooking it up to my TV, because my family went out and bought brand new cables to hook it up and of course it didn't work.

Thank god I'm not the one that spent the money on it; but does anyone think I might be able to weasel them into fixing it? Then again, it doesn't look like anyone else has had much luck, either.

ed1001
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know how to force this piece of crap DVR 1500 to eject? I have a rented DVD in the machine and it will not do anything but display "Cyberhome". I want to return POS but need to get the DVD out first.
Thanks

Unregistered guest
As Previously Posted:

I've Had a cyberhome CH-DVD 300 for 6 months and it's worked until now. Now it has sound problems, but I figured how to "temperarily" fix them. If I have any problems, I turn it on, then unplug it , plug it back in. and It works for awhile. If I keep doing that It works. That will fix almost any problem on many electronic devices. I hope this has helped somebody.

I have found the same workaround. Its almost worth the 40 bucks for a portable DVD player, but now I have found that it will only play some recorded DVD's, and those only some of the time! I can play one recorded DVD on one day and the next the same DVD isnt even rocognized.

I have used the customer support contact form on their page, and if that doesn't work, all of you have provided GREAT info on dealing with them.

Thank you all for sharing.

S

JLROhio
Unregistered guest
Wow, Thanks for all your postings here on this web site. The Wife asked me if she thought we should get a DVD Recorder (the CyberHome DVD Recorder 1500) she saw on HSN for $127.90 + $12.95 S&H. I quickly showed her this page and we both agreed we'd pass on the CyberHome Brand of anything in the future.
Thanks again for helping us save money before just turning it over to this company!
Too bad the California Attorney General is not all over these folks and putting them and their cheap equipment out of business. Maybe you folks will get lucky and the NY Attorney General will get one of these products and class-action sue this company so you can something out of your troubles.

Unregistered guest
Cyberhome - The biggest heap of trash I've ever bought, and I fell for it and bought two. We bought one from Walmart, (I live in the Dominican Republic) and when that packed in after about two months and after playing about 6 DVDs, I asked a friend who was coming over to get me another one of the same model, so I could use the accessories whilst getting the other one fixed. It seems they had 'upgraded' (that's a laugh) the new one so none of the old bits (including a spare battery) worked. The second one came from K-Mart, and is a bigger load of crap than the first one. After charging the battery as instructed, it lasted exactly 10 minutes. This company should be closed down selling junk to innocent consumers. After looking at reviews on the net, the company must be aware of the tat they are selling. Who the hell do they think they are.

Anonymous

i got one of those for 35 dollars ,alittle bit of glitches to fix. The reasons why therecorder doesnt work is that you need to take the dvd out of the machine and use a computer to eject the dvd.Because the DVD DRIVE IS BASICALLY A COMPUTER DVD DRIVE.then put it back in the unit and your good 2 go, but dont leave the dvd in when power off or standby BECAUSE YOULL HAVE 2 DO THE PROCESS ALL OVER AGAIN.......signin out
have fun???

Bronze Member
Username: The_nerdly_guy

Post Number: 18
Even my fav site TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) doesn't like the CyberHome DVD player. Check out the article here: http://www.techlore.com/article/10876/

Larry123
Unregistered guest
i just purchased a cyberhome dvr 1600. it worked for about 3 hours. now any cd+rw disc i put in there is not recognized. i will be returning it tomorrow. wish i had read this web site before making my purchase...

Anonymous

I bought a Cyberhome 1500 in March of 2004 at Walmart and returned it within a month. The second unit is doing fine but only because I placed the unit on top of a box that forces air through the unit to keep it cool. I knew how hot the discs were that came out of the unit had to be bad. Also I have learned the units quirks and I work with them.

I have burned between 300 and 400 disks. Most of them were Memorex +R, some where Memorex +RW. I am not a fan of Memorex but the WEB site did mention it as a recomended brand. I have probably had problems, either media or Cyberhome related with 20 or so discs. Some of which were Memorex being sloppy in production. I had a DVD that was 2 to 3 times as thick as it was suppose to be.

I decided to try my luck once more and bought a 1600. My first disc I was not sure of the clarity although I have never used the turner, I only use the RCA jacks so I suspect it is better than it would be otherwise. The problem that I did have, however, is on chapter 15 (a little over 76 minutes into the disc on 2 hour mode on a +R Memorex) the disc just skips forward a little over a minute. I have played it many times on several machines and it is always the same results skipping from the same spot to the same spot. If I go bacwards from the point the disc skipped to, I can see the missing footage. I think this is unforgiveable. Since it is still a recent purchase I think I will return it and look at a better unit. Why not, I origionally thought if I bought a 1600, it was a Cyberhome like the 1500 so it would be simular. Not at all, it is a totally new unit. I might as well go with another brand and hope I have better luck.

John in FL
Unregistered guest
I tried the CyberHome DVR-1600 ($99 Circuit City) and trashed about 10 or 11 DVDs (bought HP brand, then Memorex brand that was recommended by another message board)... only 1, yes 1, finalized successfully. So I took the machine back to get another one just in case I got a lemon the first time. Haven't been able to successfully finalize a DVD yet.
CyberHome is JUNK.

Username: Mh85222

Casa Grande, AZ USA

My CyberHome 1500 has frozen several times and in the past I have been able to restart it by turning off the power. Now it is permanently frozen. I plan to never buy a CyberHome again.

Unregistered guest
i have cyberhome 300. While playing a dad it got stuck and went into standby mode. I took out the dvd but counld not power it on. The standby mode is always there. Anybody has any tips.

Unregistered guest
I bought a 16:9 HDTV set at BB last week -- and they gave me a free Cyberhome DVR-1600! It plays disks in progressive scan mode fine, but I have yet to get all of the kinks out of recording. Tonight I will perform the firmware upgrade (available on their website) and see if the unit starts behaving.

With all the posts talking about "you get what you pay for", imagine what BB's reasoning is for giving these babies away for FREE if you buy a HDTV set...

Lame
Unregistered guest
I have a Cyberhome CH-DVR 1500 and it is a pile. I bought it for my father for Christmas a year and a half ago from walmart. Apparently it has NEVER worked. My brother and I split the $300 cost at the time (remember, it was a year and a half ago), and my father didn't have the heart to tell us it was broke. I sent some emails to Cyberhome with no response. I think I am going to scoop some dog poo out of the backyard, put it in a box with this unit that I am going to smash into pieces, and send it to Cyberhome. The note: One piece of s h i t deserves another.

Electronicsman
Unregistered guest
I work for an electronics company, and from what it seems Cyberhome products are crap, but all this reading of these problems makes me think, why didn't you guys buy a service plan on your products? I know Circuit City offers replacement plans on almost everything, and i've used it, and it WORKS GREAT. Problem is, manufacturers warranty only covers manufacture defects most of the time, so if its a normal wear and tear issue, you're s.o.l. Just some future advice, if you buy something that has a lot of moving parts, buy a service plan. (If it covers wear and tear issues) I know I did and i'm a lot better off for it.

NEAL p@TEL
Unregistered guest
WHAT A SCAM? DESIGN LOOKS PERFECT AND EVERYTHING LOOK SHARP...BUT LDV 700B'S DRIVE PARTS ARE CHEAPLY CONSTRUCTED...I HAVE SEEN MANY DRIVES BUT THIS ONE IS SURE MADE IN "CHINA"..WHAT A CHEAP LABOR..FCC SHOULD BAN THIS KIND OF PRODUCT FROM GETTING IN U.S.A MARKET...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1294
What do you expect with what they cost? Cheap and quality don't ever go together.

dwalsh
Unregistered guest
Just with the 76 people here on this website Cyberhome has netted around $19,000 and no telling how many other scmucks like us their are. I think someone should file a class action suite against them for not standing behind their product, mine is a CH-DVR 2500. I have been trying to get a responce from them for two years and have never received a word. I finally had a menager from Radio Shack come to my house and he could not get it started either. I am thinking about asking my son about this and see if anything can be done. Is anyone else interested? The next time I see something I want to buy I will investigate the company to find out what their reputation is before I buy.

Anonymous

FYI everyone, Cyberhome is a Chinese company. Engineering, production and practically everything are made in China. They only have Sales and Support in the US and THEY KNOW their product sucks but they care about your dollar.

Your customer reps work dirt cheap for the company and they get too many complaints so they really have no motivation to help you guys.

I KNOW bc i have a friend who hated working for Cyberhome.

Unregistered guest
FYI, WATCH OUT!!!

Cyberhome will change its product name to something else since they have such a bad rep.

Target and Walmart will cary brands ILO and TIU-TECH and they're both Cyberhome's products.

RWS
Unregistered guest
Funny thing, I got one for my mom & it went tits up within a week. The second one is still working from over a year ago. Same with the one I got for my grandson. It still works. Ant I only paid 59 smackers for it. Now Wally World sells them for 38 bucks. But, I would'nt buy another. And if you think thats bad, I have a crappy Denon 5000 thats skipping & freezing up on DVD's & it was a 2500 dollar high end player. Sucks huh?

Anonymous

I guess I am not alone. Bought the DVD1500 recorder in 2004 from HSN. Had to pay to return the first one to cyberhome. Now I am on number 3 and it is in the box unopened. It makes me sick. Cyberhome just keeps sending out units labled 1500B, 1500C and saying they are upgraded. NOT!!!! Has anyone gotten a refund? I was told they would just keep sending replacements and that they can't give out refunds because they would go bankrupt. Well they need to think about how much it is going to cost them to keep mailing me recorders.

Username: Shamuchef

Orlando, Florida United states

Post Number: 9
stay away from home shopping channels and dont belive anything they say its all junk you will get a better deal on quality merchandise on the internet look around no tax and some no shipping charges

Unregistered guest
I too have a piece of junk --dvr2500...

Welcome to the future....Once the Chinese get a hold of all the manufacturing moved there from this country and Japan and Taiwan (judging by WalMart they have about 89% of it now) The price of their cheap junk will go up and u will have no where else to buy it but from them.

At least the Japanese took pride in their work. But than the Japanese capitalists found out that they could save a few cents per $100 by offshoring to other poorer countries...just as the American Capitalists did sending our work to Japan.
I can't tell u how many VCR's people gave me to repair..machines from $100 to $500 ..and all that was wrong with them was a a tiny tit on a plastic part that wore out...a part that of course was no longer available. They put in 3 cent plastic part instead of 5 cent metal piece thereby dooming a $500 machine to certain uselessness.

Please don't tell me u get what u pay for ....YOU GET WHAT THEY WANT TO GIVE U.

Crap It Is
Unregistered guest
I too also as well own a Cyberhome 300. I paid $20 or $30 at Wal*Wart back in Nov 2004, I think.

From day one this DVD player has been a POS, but it always worked. It has played every DVD I have put into it, to include burned DVDs on DVD+R and DVD-R formats.

Problems I have faced:

From day one, I got an occasional brightening of the screen. No big deal; I could deal wiff it, yo.

My fargin' remote control has steadily been losing functionality. The pause button, the power button, the down arrow button, several of the number buttons, and a few others have all ceased working. This is a *serious* pain in the nuts. I can't even pause the movie if my phone rings, or even if I want to smack or slam my wife! I would take the remote apart, but it is not a typical screwed-together unit, and if I bust it, I may as well throw the entire DVD player out my first floor window.

The latest and worst problem: no sound output. I wanted to finish up watching Aussie Park Boyz, after taking a detour to Spaceballs. So I says to myself, "Self, tro' Aussie Park in!". So I did, of course, because I always listen to me. So what happens? NO SOUND! Shitfire!

The fix for the NO SOUND problem was to unplug the unit, plug it back in, and fire it up. This fix will only work for so long before the sound is completely gone, however. As an earlier poster said, this is often times the easiest fix for any electronic/computer controlled equipment. Cut the power and let the bas-tard reset itself (I can't say "b@stard" in this forum???).

By the way, if you have never watched Aussie Park Boyz, check it out. It's cool. The only problem is that there are no subtitles. Damn I wish those Australians would learn English!

Peace out, and hooray for opie!

NEAL THOMAS
Unregistered guest
250$ down the drain. my dvd recorder will not turn on,will not eject,says no disc when it does turn on. then it just says CH 35 ME forever. cyberhome is stealing money from people,and getting away with it. Wal-Mart won't give me my money back because they know cyberhome is junk.I WOULD NOT TAKE ANOTHER ONE FOR FREE.

Unregistered guest
MARK AUDIO4KICKS wrote...

"come on guys,,,cyberhome, i know it only sells for $36 dollars,,,but what do you expect"

I expect a company to stand by their product - regardless of what they sell it for! If they are in the market place, they have an obligation to sell a product that performs as advertised, and if it doesn't, they need to make ammends.

I regress however - Cyberhome is CyberSH*T. Must be why Sams Club stopped selling their POS products.

I've got the CyberSH*T CH-DVD 300z BIOS version 10S Anyone know where to get an updated firmware for it? Nothing but user manuals on their website. Please email me if you know where to get firmware. Thanks!

upsetNused
Unregistered guest
I bought the cyberhome 2500 from HSN almost 2 years ago. It stopped working after about 4 months. It took me almost 9 months to get in contact with the "so called" customer service dept. They then sent me a new 1600 model. that model worked for 2 days. They then sent me another 1600 dvr and that worked for 6 months. I'm going to try and contact a TV news station to have them investigate the company....

Unregistered guest
I can't watch a DVD movie after one hour playing the CyberHome DVD 300 beacause the image freezes and I tried a lot of tricks and can't solve this trouble. Please HELP ME!!!!

Unregistered guest
same here...i cant get it to play ANY of my dvd+r cds...stamped (store bought) dvds seem to work fine...but backedup dvds taht i made for my kids so they dont ruin the orig. never work...well i take that back, they work till about chapter two then it stutters and freezes...if anyone can tell me how/where to find the updated firmware id kiss their feet :-)

dontwerk
Unregistered guest
I bought a cyberhome dvd recorder and it seems to freeze up a lot then if you take the dvd out and put it back in it says unknown disc the it works at random times if you shake it around for a few seconds but it rarly plays all the way through but the tuner seems to work fine.

Username: Big_al

Penicuik, Midlothian Scotland

Post Number: 5
A relative of my has a Cyberhome DVD player, and the quality isn't too good at all. The image sometimes seems to 'wobble' on the screen, and the sharpness is poor.

Silver Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 236
Failures with Cyberhome DVD players, particularly those which are VERY small, may have a simple explanation as to why they may fail.

It's likely due to size.

You have a very small chassis to hold the digital section/system control, analogue section, disc drive, and power supply. There will be two major heat sources within this small area: the digital section/syscon and the power supply.

Heat, along with excess dust and smoke, is a major killer of optical pickups and here you have a small space chock full of parts, including those that may generate a good deal of heat with no way to adequately ventilate it all out.

Cyberhome and, indeed, anyone that makes those really small footprint players, may consider taking one major heat source out of the chassis. The power supply could be taken out and made into a wall wart adapter and that would potentiallly help to address this problem. - Reinhart

bodyguard
Unregistered guest
Hi,everybody!
Today by chance I've read all your stories about Cyber Home.Its feeling likes unchained tragical melodies and it sounds as if very sorry and sorrow stories.He(CBH) is really a Big Cheater here in Canada!He is killing a lot of customers every day.Why don't all of you put him on trial for so many dirty things!

FullBoostOrBust
Unregistered guest
i got a 1500 that turned into a brick. The display just reads "CYBERHOME" and no buttons work. I found this post while searching for my same problem and found a fellow who targeted and fixed the prob, The power supply, swapped it for an ATX (standerd computer PS). i'll be ripping the PS out of my old PC tomorrow. I refuse to give up this easly since i never had ANY problems with this players performance for the 1.5 years i've had it. here are the instructions, scroll down to the jpeg of an open 1500 and read on.

FullBoostOrBust
Unregistered guest
Wow, heads up. IT WORKED. Tore a ATX PS out of my old PC, searched and found the wiring diagram, and went to town. I'm not a pro with hardware but have some experiance, i think anyone could do this. The only thing i had to search while performing the swap was. What does "VCC" mean? searched and found it means +5v. One more thing, No buttons on the face work, must use the remote to work it- no biggie. So anyone having the error where they're cyberhome 1500 acts like a brick, this is the way to fix it. Hope this helps some other poor chap like myself. later :-)

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I have obtained a broken CyberHome LDV-700B player. The problem is that a child broke the power connector inside of the unit. I can reaplce it but need the replacement part.

CyberHome is of no help at all unless it is under warranty even though they say that if it was under warranty they would repair it. They won't give me or sell me the part, they won't tell me who manufactures the part or what the part number is. Not very good service I'm afraid.

You can read more info about what disks the player will play at videohelp.com

Unregistered guest
seriously, the anger I have is on another level about this topic. I have the 300 and I am a idiot for buying something with such a crappy name to start off. It plays some stuff, but what the hell, I have to keep my fingers crossed to play a movie? Seriously, I would like to take a leak on the president of cyberhome's forehead. It would make me feel good. Im not gonna send the pos back for another pos, and all these guys re wiring the unit and doing this and that, its just not worth it. F CYBERHOME and I know alota people. Im gonna post on djragz.net (my site) just what a piece of crap organization they are. I cant believe they made money off of me.

CYBERHOME GETS A HUGE F OFF!!!

sorry for such graphic content, but I know you can all relate and I know you all feel the same inside. How can a company get away with robbing people like this. They are CON MEN and WOMEN!

Ken K
Unregistered guest
I bought a cyberhome dvr1600 and it recorded fine for 4 movies. Then I tried to finilize disc and two of the movies I can not play anymore says un none disc. When you want to formate disc. You say OK it will not go to 100% and it says root on machine.Then it will say unknown. What a peice of ****. DON'T BUY PRODUCT.

Anonymous

I have two of the $36 models. Both of them have worked fine, although, I have not tried recorded CD's or DVD's and I have to admit, I don't use them alot.

The reason I found this board was by doing a Cyberhome search for Universal Remote Control codes. The Cyberhome web site (if you can call it that) states that they put no codes in their products that will work with Universal remotes.

What??????????? How stupid. I bet that saves them a few pennies. However, what is weird is that I have one in the bedroom that I successfully programmed with a remote, but I cannot program the one in the den.

After reading this, I feel that it is a matter of time before I will start having problems.

Unregistered guest
I have a CH-300 (2 years old, paid $40, never had problems previously) and after playing a rental DVD yesterday, it froze. I had to use the emergency eject lever, but now it's acting dead. It will not respond to any buttons on the front or on the remote. It is also making a noise inside the case when powered on. Any suggestions? Can it be salvaged? I went out to replace it, before I found this web site, I had already got the Cyberhome 1500/1600 DVR ($115) and this time I got the Circuit City service plan ($25 for 3 years) so hopefully I can get a few years of worry-free usage out of it. When they work, they work fine (2 years for a $40 DVD player is not bad in my opinion.) When they have trouble, it appears it's cheaper to replace than to repair. My conclusion: I'm glad I got the extended service plan. Circuit City treats customers with service plans very well, and any time I get a piece of electronics over $100, I usually opt for the service plan for peace of mind.

cyberhome hater
Unregistered guest
hahahh soon or later, when they get so many complaints that they will change their name to something else, and they offer the same dvd player to the market again. so look out, the next one will probably be call SuckerHome DVD player!

Unregistered guest
For those of you who bought a cyberhome player of any kind in the US and took it out of the country and complain that it will not play dvds is because that all dvd players sold in the US our Region 1 and will only play disks made for Region 1 or for All Regions (region free). So if you're like Nii who took one out of the country it might play dvds just fine as long as the dvd was manufactured for use in the US or Canada and is coded Region 1. also according to the instructions for the CH-LDV-700B you are supposed to take the battery out when you are not using it to protect the battery. If you hunt on the CyberHome website you can find a link to get a free battery reconditioner, but to make it easier I will post it here: http://www.cyberhome.com/contact_support_acc.asp

Unregistered guest
For those of you who bought a cyberhome player of any kind in the US and took it out of the country and complain that it will not play dvds is because that all dvd players sold in the US are Region 1 and will only play disks made for Region 1 or for All Regions (region free). So if you're like Nii who took one out of the country it might play dvds just fine as long as the dvd was manufactured for use in the US or Canada and is coded Region 1. also according to the instructions for the CH-LDV-700B you are supposed to take the battery out when you are not using it to protect the battery. If you hunt on the CyberHome website you can find a link to get a free battery reconditioner, but to make it easier I will post it here: http://www.cyberhome.com/contact_support_acc.asp

Unregistered guest
My DVR-1600 purchased at Best Buy for about $99. Has never worked right. I asked what was the difference between the less expensive and more expensive name brand dvd writers and the salseman said mostly just fancy extra features and the CyberHome was a good deal. I mentioned I'd never heard of the brand and was it good quality. He said yes, in fact its becoming one of the better brands. So I bought the thing.

When I burned dvds it seemed to work but when finalizing it gives an error or disc unreadable after finalizing. A problem I've read other people are also having. I emailed Cyber-Home, with no response. At first I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, or using the wrong kind of disc. But kept trying and found that it finalizes correctly 1 out of 10 times regardless of type of dvd used. So instead of having an inexpensive dvd writer I have an overpriced dvd player. Although compared to others complaints at least mine does that. Although the picture sometimes freezes when reading while the sound keeps going or it fails to read the title screens. But if I stop and restart it works again. I'll try the firmware upgrade to see if this helps. Id be happy to be involved in a class action lawsuit against these guys. And how can reputable major outlets like Best Buy and Walmart justify selling something from a scam junk peddler? I have a CD player from Panasonic purchased in 1987 that still works great. Their stuff seems to work well and last. I should have stuck with a name that has worked for me in the past. Yea you get what you pay for but when buying something brand new and from a major chain you expect is to not be broken from day 1. There is a certain minimum expectation. I did not need something with fancy features, that could handle light usage. Hopefully people will see these posts and go with a better brand, complain to the retailers that should refuse to carry this junk, and maybe even have a class action suit against them.

Anonymous

I just bought a Cyberhome CH-300, because I ordered a DVD from Germany and it is only compatible with (PAL) and from my understanding the Cyberhome CH-300 will play PAL DVDS. Is this true? If not I will have to return it. My Toshiba DVD player is incompatible with PAL.

CSOCSO-SUPRA
Unregistered guest
we have a ch-300 since end of 2004
its working PERFECTLY!! play every kind of dvd-s ( copied, pal, etc)

i was wondering to get a DVR 2500.... but after reading this whole page.... i dont think so..
but we are lucky with the ch-300.

oh.. and 2 of my friends got the same 300... without any problem!

BTW: to play PAL DVD's:

turn it ON!! press MENU [1]-[9]

and after that set the region code to 0 (ZERO)

and thats it...

---------------

www.csocso-supra.com

TheMages
Unregistered guest
I have had 4 recorders since 2004 from this crappy company. I have tracked down the info of the manager of customer service. I only deal with this drone. I told him I was gonna give his info out if he sent me one more junk unit. He did. If you want to talk to Steven Leong personally drop him a nasty letter at StevenL@cyberhome.com...LOL God I love justice...let the feeding frenzy begin! Eat him alive people! I want nothing left on the bones when I get back!

Username: Shoottnaysayers

Cyberhome dvr2500 is a fine product, mine has preformed fine for about 2 years. Remember in these forums you usually only hear from the few who have had problems..NOT THE MANY WHO DON'T. I have recommended cyberhome to several friends and they are all happy with them.

Username: Osadan23

Howdy folks! I guess I am the biggest A--! I paid over $700 for my multi region DVD player/recorder 1500. The player broked within 6 months, imagin that! I was unable to make contact with the cyberhome until about one year and off course my warrenty ran out, so I paid about $139 for the repair. They sent me another player, (thinking its about time, and happy as H--L) but it did not work at all. Again, I made a contact, shipped back 1500 for another repair. According to the cyberhome, 1500 was repaired and shipped back in Dec 05, but I have not received my 1500. It is May 05 and I don't think I'll see my 1500 again. After reading everyone's e-mail, cyberhome should be put out of business.

Username: Cobalt60

Yes, Illinois USA

regarding my Cyberhome 1500.
I acquired this troublesome instrument a couple years ago at Best Buy. I had promised mysef a dvd r the moment one became available for less than 300 bucks.
It was a handsome unit, with a complete array of panel controls. But it began to buck early.
I fed my dvd r with cable tv over coax. And my sound was weak. It was aslo mono- the tuner doesnt handle stereo sound.
Shifting to a component video input took care of that.
Then it started to freeze on activation. Up to a dozen snaps of the back mounted power switch were needed to force a boot.
I have never completely escaped the need for this annoying procedure.
The disk were hot. I placed the machine up on bottle caps for better airflow. This seemeed to cool the disks,
The disks choked my computer. The poisonous touch of the DVDR ala Cyberhome took a cold boot and emergency disk extraction. This didnt happen with an external Plextor drive, but did with my HP, memorex and laptop DVD drives.
As it turned out, if I didnt change the default pic and name (the video source) assigned by the 1500, the disks were utterly incompatible with any other dvd players. Once this was done, most others played the disks.
The hide chapter feature only works on the 1500. Finalized disks so editied disregarded the hide chapter instructions.
To be fair, I have burned a mess of disks with this thing. i have archived my video tapes and built a pile of timeshift disks.
I think it might be reaching the end of its life at last. It has begun to..wheeze and hesitate. Sometimes it kicks out a spurrious " error" message.
I got my money's worth out of it. But Im an engineer with a troubleshooting backround. I made it work.
I wouldnt recommend it. But its way better than nothing.
If you can get one dirt cheap, put it on blocks and blow a fan over it from the start. Its a pain, but it can save your fading VHS from oblivion.

Username: Carolcuevas

New Haven, CT USA

My grandson has a Cyberhome portable DVD player. It worked for 6 months and the eyelet for the electical connection fell inside. I cannot get any response from Cyberhome. I then tried to send it to Sears. They cannot get the part. I spent $39.95 on deposit that Sears will not return. I just found the e-mail above for BBB (the number there refers one to another number which is a fax). I also e-mailed the tech (above). I think we should do a class action suit against these jerks. What do you think?

Username: Mpaz

HELP!!!!! SOMEBODY THERE... HELP!!!!!
We bought a CH-1500. Precious DVD of my daughter's is stuck inside. It does not Eject. We push, connect and disconnect everything. We even tried to open the unit but we could not access the disk. Standby...no change...no eject
Forget about calling CyberThieves...
Can anybody help us with this problem? MERCY!!!

Username: Philmiami

Miami, FL USA

Well I just bought a cyberhome ch-dvd 1530 here in Miami,FL from Brandsmart for $68.88+tax, so like $73 bucks. I just played with it and it seems to work ok BUT now I am reading all these posts and makes me think, I just pissed away $73 dollars. I only got it to record those Dora the Explorer toons from Nick for my daughter so if it works for say 6 months (I hope it will be more than that) then I guess I got my $$ worth BUT Brandsmart sells stuff (name brand) cheaper than other places, a lot cheaper BUT they have a NO RETURN policy, in other words, you bought it, it's yours. Only replace if defective in 30 days but you will NEVER get your money back. So you get what you paid for. philmiami

Username: Biggrunt

I have a model CH-LDV 700B DVD player with serial number 326AJB93001478. I need
the plastic gear that rides on the lead screw that pulls the laser carriage
along. This part is held in with a single screw and trapped by a metal spring tensioner.
I have been trying to call the toll free line and it is not working or is off the hook -888-302-2727.
Does anyone have one of these parts? If so, how much is it and how I can order one. My email adderess
is biggrunt@peoplepc.com. I would even take a junked unit and pull the part out
myself if anyone has one laying around. I would really like to get this
fixed soon as it is a great tool for driving on long trips with the kids.

Username: Judy47404

I purchased a DVR in December it worked 2 months and it would not read the DVDs nor record any. I returned it to the store and replace it for a new one. Which only worked for two months. I can not get any support nor Can I reach anyone at cyberhome. I have tried their phone number 1-888-302-2727, Home page, customer support, and still nothing. I turned them into the BBB (Better Business Bureau) I would recommend others to do the same. I have never turned anyone in before but they sure seem like they don't care about their customers nor do they stand behind their product.

Bronze Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 72
My philips works fine i guess you getwhat you pay for?

Username: Bobsbadz28

Tol, Oh Usa

Additional File Information

On June 8, 2006, the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office announced that agents from the REACT Task Force, assisted by agents from the FBI and agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement, executed a search warrant on Cyberhome Entertainment, Inc. The search warrant was part of an ongoing investigation into the illegal manufacture and sale of products bearing counterfeit trademarks. REACT agents seized 8 tractor trailer loads of infringing DVD recorders; estimated retail value of the 20,000 plus units exceeds $2 million.

Cyberhome's online store states that they are closed and currently unable to accept orders.

Additional DBAs, Addresses and Telephone Numbers

Additional Addresses
48350 Fremont Boulevard
Fremont, CA 94538
Tel: (888) 302-2727
Tel: (510) 743-6371

Additional Phone Numbers
(510) 226-2723

Additional Email Addresses
Tony.Tao@cyberhome.com

Username: Philmiami

Miami, FL USA

Well SORRY to all you people who still got this POS(peice of sh*t) BUT I kept mine for 2 weeks, never really used it, returned it Brandsmart here in Miami,FL got a store credit for my $68.88 that I spent for it as Brandsmart will NOT refund any money or charge (SO BE AWARE from where you buy any no-name brand whatever as to RETURNS policy), and I bought my wife another cell phone. So I would rather pay another $20-$40 dollars more for some quasi-name brand dvr from BestBuy or CIrcuit City and NOT online so I can take it back to a brick&mortar store and return it if it gets a problem. No more dealing with "Made in China" cheap sh*t unless it is a use&throw away kinda thing like say like a trash can or something like that. I did get a lot of reviews AFTER I had bought that damn thing by 'googleing' the maker and brand and then reading all this forumn posted here. My advice, THROW IT IN THE TRASH and go buy something from a STORE with a return policy, stop trying to fix something that CAN NOT be fixed, which is the Cyberhome DVR's...just a use and throw away item. philmiami phil

Username: Da_bin_chi_code

Post Number: 6
My wife bought a cyberhome DVD player. After few weeks, I asked her where she kept it (since it just disappeared one day), she said, she trashed it. I don't have to explain..

Username: Alonzois

I have a DVR 1600 it worked until about three months ago and since then it's just been a cable splitter pretty much. I just took it apart and found out that the problem is the power supply, and was wondering if anyone might have a junked unit that i could get the supply from? or wher i could get the supply, I would appreciate it. if anyone does alonzois@gmail.com

Username: Mr00000ed

I have a DVR 1600 and need a new remote. If anyone has one to junk. let me know. As far as I'm concerned, this is junk, but it records the kids cartoons on DVD for long road trips. Contact ed@edspage.com.

Username: Angela48503

Flint, MI USA

I was excited to see a low price at WalMart for a Cyberhome DVD-300 player at Christmas time, so I scooped up the DVD player. Approx 2 weeks later, I wound up returning the DVD player to WalMart and getting a new one. The DVD player worked a few times, then kept keeping my DVD's and wouldn't open up so that I could retrieve them. (This was hard to deal with since I rent DVD from our local video store) Now I can't even get the dang thing to come on. When you plug it in all you get is a red light. I went on line to Cyberhome's website, and even the manual they have on line can't help me. It states that when the red light is on, the DVD player is off or in the STANDBY mode. Either way, I can not get the thing to open up and it just won't work. I have been trying, relentlessly, to find phone numbers for Cyberhome INC, but alas, there is none. All numbers are either faxes (which no one there returns a fax anyways), leave a voice mail (which no one does either) or the number just doesn't work or you get that lovely recording that states that there phone lines and service are no longer available. THIS COMPANY SUCKS NOT ONLY IN MERCHANDISE, BUT IN CUSTOMER RELATIONS ALSO!!!!

Username: Angela48503

Flint, MI USA

I was excited to see a low price at WalMart for a Cyberhome DVD-300 player at Christmas time, so I scooped up the DVD player. Approx 2 weeks later, I wound up returning the DVD player to WalMart and getting a new one. The DVD player worked a few times, then kept keeping my DVD's and wouldn't open up so that I could retrieve them. (This was hard to deal with since I rent DVD's from our local video store) Now I can't even get the dang thing to come on. When you plug it in all you get is a red light. I went on line to Cyberhome's website, and even the manual they have on line can't help me. It states that when the red light is on, the DVD player is off or in the STANDBY mode. Either way, I can not get the thing to open up and it just won't work. I have been trying, relentlessly, to find phone numbers for Cyberhome INC, but alas, there is none. All numbers are either faxes (which no one there returns a fax anyways), leave a voice mail (which no one does either) or the number just doesn't work or you get that lovely recording that states that their phone lines and service are no longer available. THIS COMPANY SUCKS NOT ONLY IN MERCHANDISE, BUT IN CUSTOMER RELATIONS ALSO!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9181
Did you really expect more for such a cheap Walmart DVD player?
Chock it up as a learning experience.

Username: Judy47404

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bereau about Cyberhome. They have tried to contact them 2X but still have got no response. They are pushing foward. If Everybody that has a problem with Cyberhome would also file Maybe More would get done, and nobody else would get riped off. It does not cost anything to file. By the way I paid $59.99 for mine at Menards.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 9184
What is it that you want done? Better service? It's a cheap player, it is basically disposable, how do you think they were able to offer it to you at such a cheap price?

Username: Mediabuff

Odd but true, we bought 2 Cyberhome dvr 1200's at $69. each, from Walmart last Christmas and have burned over 450 dvd+r disks and have had no problem whatsoever with the units. Problem (for us at least) is the danged remote controls. They've been used so much they are getting punchy. Can't find a code for a universal remote (read they can't be used with a universal remote) but we keep hoping. One would have thought the company would put a "stop" button on the front of the unit... but hey, at $69. it has been a great deal for us. We must have purchased the only 2 good ones the company ever made!

We also have 2 Cyberhome DVD 300 players, and they accept the universal remote just fine. (Read above where someone said there were no universal codes for the 300. The code 0816 works great for us. (One for all universal remote control)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2928
The One For All 8910 should be upgradeable to operate the recorder. You can call and make sure before you buy the remote.

Post Number: 3
Thank you David! Will give it a try!

Username: Airmailrpl

"So after many sleepless hours of searching I finally found my main problem. The unit is equiped with a Flat Flexable cable connector that connects the laser lens assembly to the main bourd of the dvd player. Well I thought, This was going to be easy.

So again after many hours of being online trying to find a matching part to replace the broken one I finally found a exact match for the replacement part. Stocked by digi-key electronics parts.
http://www.digikey.com/

http://www.epinions.com/content_154123669124

If you are going to junk a CyberHome CH-DVD 300,
I would like to get it from you for parts.

Mine played about 5 comercial DVDs (not all of them all the way through) before it quit completely.

Now it has been in the shop since January and the technician says he needs parts that he can't get.

Send me an e-mail to <ge-gemas@uol.com.br>

"This site is run by Cyberhome owners for other Cyberhome owners - We are not affiliated in anyway with the Manufacturers Cyberhome
Website is currently best viewed on a 1024x768 or greater screen resolution"
http://cms-system.cyberhome-dvd-help.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pi d=24

Username: Eastiemm

East Boston, Mass Usa

I purchased a dvd 300 from Best Buy and it was a Cyberhome on Feb 2006..on June of 2006 it stopped working for no apparent reason and well trying to contact them was impossible via their web site as all the help on it was gone & I wrote a letter to the President and ceo and still never heard back & I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau....as it is just not in good taste to have a product that does not work in just a short time....I know the price was$41.99 but, I now had to make arrangements to get a ride & bring it to Best Buy & they said it was out of warranty & so I now again had to get a ride & get a new dvd player but not way ..a Cyberhome they have very poor products and very bad service...thanks

Username: David_b

See my earlier comment of 11-1-06 regarding a CyberHome CH-DVD 300 player I fixed which had the red light symptom. It had a failed drive motor for the disk in that the carbon brushes had disintegrated.

A quick way to see if this is your problem is to remove the player's steel cover and spin the disk by hand. If the red light goes away and turns to green, what I described is probably what your problem is.

Silver Member
Username: Gamerdude

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 240
Hey thats kool you got it fixed i got a philips and it works greaT!

Username: Bigdog_coach

STAY AWAY FROM CYBERHOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought my first CyberHome from Circut City---just before 1 year was up it crapped out----CyberHome honored thier warranty and promptly sent me a new machine----I put in the DVD of my sons first year to add more to it---it screwed up the disc and has never worked again----I have tried to contact them, via email, phone and internet and have had NO success!!! Circut City says they cannot even get a hold of them!!! This companies sells nothing but CRAP and is still pushing their CRAP on people without any way for us to get a hold of them!!

Username: Leona_k_beuskens

Troy, Montana USA

My Husband purchased a Cyberhome for me for Christmas. I was so excited. But to my dismay it lasted 30 days. I took it back to Best Buy and they gave me another one. This one also lasted 30 days. Now Best Buy says they can do nothing because I did not buy the extended warranty. They gave me a number for the Cyberhome warranty. No Good. My son went on this sight and we tried every number people posted. No good. Called Best Buy and they said there was nothing they could do. You would think for a 99 dollar item they would help you but I guess customer service is nothing like I remember. I will not buy at Best Buy again no matter what kind of deal they have. I am going to reseach out Phillips brand and go to Wall Mart. At least they will replace or give back your money if things do not work.

Post Number: 4
The 2 Cyberhome 1200 DVR units we purchased last Christmas are still going strong. We've burned over a thousand disks, so far. They even burn DVD-R disks. As I wrote earlier; we must have purchased the only 2 good units they ever made!

Username: Chyron

I hava a Cyberhome dvd recorder that I bought 7 months ago and it still works like the day I brought it home! I've read with interest all of the horror stories, but mine is an exception...it works good. And I only paid $59 at Best Buy...$59!!!! It records my tv programs, finalizes the disks if thats what I want..I just have nothing to complain about. If I get another 3 months of use out of it, I'm happy, because it was only $59!!!!!

Username: Markartisan

My Cyberhome DVD player locked up and will not play any more. I had used it maybe 10 times!
I went online and found others expressing that they had the same experience.
I wish I had gone with another brand.
I emailed Cyberhome with my complaint hoping they could give me some kind of advice on how to get it working again but, they never returned my email with any comment.
I would not recommend any product sold by Cyberhome. It doesn't seem to me as though they care about repeat business with their customers. Just sell it cheap and rip them off one at a time.
Thanks, Mark

Username: David_b

Mark: I'm sorry your Cyberhome DVD isn't working. I've fixed my daughter's twice. The first time the motor brushes had to be replaced for the motor which spins the DVD. The second time it was that the platter on which it spins was pushed up a bit too high so that the laser couldn't focus on it. You're right, Cyberhome manufacturer doesn't support their product, but I've also not experienced problems with the printed circuit board electronics. If you want you can send it to another guy who repairs them in Arizona, I believe, or contact me and I'll see what I can do. I do it as a hobby but the other guy is serious about it. Mine is a model 300. David Babbitt

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

Post Number: 161
That's what happens when one buys a low-budget dvd, especially cyberhome, how can u guys buy a dvd-player with no front panel, to check timing, status, chapter and related..

A cousin of mine bought a cyberhome and after a week experienced problems with in, so give it back got it replaced............ and guess what the same problem again...
Eventually, he got tired of it and the problems he faced, so he chucked it... now has a samsung, and hasn't faced a problem for over a year now..
Word of advice on these low-budget dvd-players is that they use a very low quality lens installed in them, hence good quality dvd's or master's get spoiled in the long run, with all those pirated's dvd's being played on the same player......

Username: Firedodger

Ames, IA USA

I just found this site today.....but for all of the people that cannot get a dvd to eject from the player follow these simple steps after unplugging the unit from the outlet...

1. Remove the 4 silver screws from the side of the unit.

2. Remove the 4 screws silver screws on the back of the unit.

3. Remove the covering of the unit.

4. You will see the unit that holds the DVD. Remove the single screw at the back of the unit that holds it to the base.

5. Lift the back of the unit about a 1/2" and gentley pull the unit backwards until it comes out of the slots on the front that holds the unit down.

6. On the lower right front of the unit you will see a small button. You will need to plug the unit
back into the outlet and turn the player on...being careful not to touch anything inside the player except for the small button...push the button and the player should open up for you!

Hopefully the disc door opened up for you and you were able to retrieve your stuck DVD!

Username: Firedodger

Ames, IA USA

I forgot to mention in my post for removing a stucvk DVD that this is for CyberHome CH-DVR 1500.

Silver Member
Username: Shane24

TorontoCanada

Post Number: 220
Steve, I guess some on this forum would know that.. the opening of four screws and all..
its just like a cd-rom or dvd-writer...
thanks anyways for that...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us