Progressive Scan??

Robert
Aight ive had it! I went out and got the progressive scan dvd player and the component cables. Already had the HDTV, Samsung 42 inch Rear Proj. TV. Im looking for that crystal clear image that you see in the stores. I know im not gonna get the TV signal until i have the receiver. But for DVD's i thought all i needed was progressive scan, i dont see a difference between my xbox dvd and the progressive scan dvd player. Im so frustrated. Is 1080 the crystal clear imaging you see in stores??? I thought 780p was also crystal clear also, im lost i guess.
If i purchased a HDTV reciever can i run a regular dvd player through it to get crystal clear dvd viewing??

Some one please tell me what i ned to have in order to get that life liek crystal clear imaging you see in the stores on all the hdtv's. I know i have the rigth tv, cause ive seen what it can do in the stores. What items do i need to get it looking crystal clear like the stores!

All opinions and comments are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Robert

Derek
Your Xbox may be much sharper than DVD. DVD resolution is 720x480i. You can get progressive scan players that will upconvert that to 720x480p. Samsung and I think Pioneer sell DVI models that will convert that to HDTV BUT, though the picture will look smoother it will never have the ability to actually be that sharp because the source material isn't that sharp.

Your Xbox can do 1280x720p and 1920x1080i. That's 6 times sharper (theoreticly) than DVD. Also one of the primary reasons you may not have noticed a difference is because most HDTV compatable TVs already have line doublers and convert 720i to 720p so there may be little apparent difference AND though your TV accepts 1080i it can't actually show that resolution. It can sync to it but most TVs cant do above 1300 or the 1920 lines (that's perfect for 1280x720p HDTV though). There are only 3 or 4 TV that can actually show that type of resolution and they all list for more than $8000.

Calibration, sharpness, tight convergence and focus should easily allow your television to surpass what's in the stores.

Also progressive scan only works on the component, DVI or firewire ports. S-VHS, component and channel 3 are a waste of time because the TV will do the upconversion instead of the DVD player.

Hope that helps.

Anonymous
For around $1700 you can get a good video scaler and connect all your devices to the TV, and output them to 720p. The scaler will clean some of the noise from the analog signals.

INSTALLGUY
THE PICTURE YOU SEE IN STORES IS A HDTV FEED IN 1080I OR 720P IT IS THIS WAY FROM THE CAMERA TO YOUR TV. THAT IS WHY IT LOOKS SO GOOD, AND IT SELLS TV'S. NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN THE STORE ASK IF YOU CAN SEE A PICTURE FROM A DVD PLAYER. THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO SHOP FOR TV'S, ALWAYS COMPARE SIZE FOR SIZE(EX.50"TO 50")MAKE SURE THEY HAVE ALL NOISE FILTERS TURNED OFF, TRY NOT TO LOOK AT COLOR LEVELS,THEY MAY NOT BE SET RIGHT. MAKE SURE TV HAS A GOOD LINE DOUBLER. NEEDS 3-2 PULLDOWN DETECTON FOR FILM CONVERTED CONTENT. AS 90% OF DVD'S ARE FROM FILM. TAKE IN A DVD YOU HAVE SEEN, AND KNOW. WHEN YOU KNOW THE SEENS, IT IS EASYER TO FOCAS ON THE PICTURE QUALITY. REMEMBER A DVD IS A COMPRESSED 480I NTSC SIGNAL. IT WILL NEVER LOOK LIKE HDTV BUT WITH A GOOD HDMONITOR IT CAN LOOK DAMM GOOD. I HAVE 4YEAR OLD PIONEER NONPROGRESSIVE PLAYER AND A PIONEER FIRST GEN 64"MONITOR AND I GET GREAT PICTURE QUALITY.

Robert
Derek: You said...Calibration, sharpness, tight convergence and focus should easily allow your television to surpass what's in the stores.

Can you explain this a little more, how can i adjust everything to get the best quality?? Id have no clue where to start, i tried messing with the video levels and i just cant get the rigth mix.

INSTALLGUY: I too have a pioneer nonprogressive dvd prior to buying the samsung progressive scan which im taking back cause i dont need it now. i was wondering what you did to get peak quality out of a non progressive scan dvd player??? Mines only 2 years old and id hate to trash it already for a new progressive if i dont have to!

As for my TV and HDTV viewing. This is my model http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=HCM4215WX%2fXAA
Is my tv ready to accept hdtv television broadcast in HD??? Im looking into HDTV receivers since the cable company doesnt offer the box yet. My tv does not have DVI option, can i still hook an HDTV receiver up through the component hook ups and get the 1080 im looking for??? Whats the difference between DVI and component. I wish i knew about DVI before i bought the tv, looks like i missed the boat on that one!

Thanks for all the help! Keep it coming!

Dere
1. By calibration I mean setting basic tint, color, black-level, white-level, sharpness etc. I have an http://www.ovationmultimedia.com/avia.html and I just picked up http://store.yahoo.com/dvdinternational/dvdi-0712.html and they make it quite easy to set up your TV. Both come with three color filters you look through to set your TV up with. Beyond that, you can fave a professional do it from the hidden setup menus in your TV. See http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/isf/isf_calibrators.html. It should be under $200. I calibrate my own TV with one of these http://www.colorvision.com/store/rebate_0903.shtml.

2. On most recent TVs sharpness can be set to "0". Sharpness and Scan Velocity Modulation only add a bit of white "ringing" to simulate sharpness for blurry sources like VHS. As long as you are feeding it a good source, these edge enhancements will only give video that egdy "video" look.

3. Convergence is aligning the Reg and Blue guns to the Green picture tube. If you don't converge you TV, a White line will appear as a White line with Blue on one side and Red on the other. A lot of TVs these days can converge themselves but you should follow it up with a manual convergence at the very least do the center of the screen. Some Pioneers and Mitsubishi allow you converge the Red and Blue guns at 64 different places on the screen. It takes time but it's worth it.

4. Focus requires you to crack the TV open. Each of the three picture tubes has it's own focus. It's like sharpness for each color and it's always clearly labled in the TV on a large and dangerous black high-voltage power supply. When set up, you can actually see between the scan lines of a progressive scan image! - it's that sharp.

Your TV can accept HDTV on one of its Component inputs. DVI is a completely digital form of sending video. It has two advantages: 1.Future video content may be copy protected and require a DVI input and 2.Scaling is done at the receiver and not the display. This usually improves the picture for fixed pixle displays like Plasmas, LCDs and DMM. I wouldn't worry about it. Very few people have DVI and even fewer have the correct copy protected version. Movie studios can't make any money on that (yet).

Hope this helps.

Robert
Wow this some serious sh*t!!!!! I like that $25 option for the DVE product. That migth be worth the bucks to perfect my settings! I dont know about opening my TV and messing with the lenses, you must really know what your doing, ahahahahah!!!

Im glad the DVI is not important at this time. I was worried about that! So if i purchase an HDTV receiver i can hook it up with component cables to that one outlet i have and get 1080i????

Thanks for your responses, they are truley enlightening, this HDTV/Picture quality stuff has me baffled rigth now.

I knew my tv wouldnt look like it did in the store, but ive had it long enough and now i want to go after that quality video i purchased the tv for!!!

INSTALLGUY
the first pioneer hdtv's had great processing for 480p. so with a good s-video cable to the tv is all you need for a great picture. im sure it is the tv and not the dvdplayer to thank for this. also i tweeked the tv alittle (focus and convergance) .I'll keep this tv till it dies

Robert
so can an s-video cable from my non progressive scan dvd player to my hdtv truly give a better picture quality??? ill try it before i buy one, i have one s-video cable going from my cable box to my tv right now. ill unplug it and try the dvd plyer and see what happens. thanks

Robert
so thats two people who have mentioned crackingthe tv open and messing with the focus. is this something anybody can do?? id hate to ruin my tv cause i dont knwo what im doing, ahahahaha!!! is this hard, and are there any guides showing what to looking for and what to fiddle with once your inside the tv???

Derek
Robert, see http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm and click the "Brand Specific" link on the left.

Robert
Well, Ive done it now!! i used the codes on my tv, it was awesome!!!! I got the menus to come up then i had no clue what i was doing. Anyways i accidnetly hit the reset selection and all my settings were deleted and it reverted back to the way it was. The biggest problem though is my perfect focus button no longer works. Wheni hit the perfect focus button its supposed to go through this focus thing, but now the words "No Sensor Data" come up. Does anyone know what ive done and how i can fix this. I hope i didnt screw up my tv. Is there any place i can go to get interpretations for what all those selections in my menus mean and how i can adjust certian things to perfect my picture quality! This is so cool, thanks for the link derek!

Robert

I want to buy new DVD player Dvd Video-DVD-Rw-DVDRW-D-W-CD-CDR/RW,VCD<SVCD,,MP-3 Or more will high resolution help? Thanks Rex Seward.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us