Set up dvdr/sky/tv in france !

Username: Newkee

Post Number: 2
Hello
Right, i have a french television (living in France) with one scart, a uk dvdr and a uk basic skybox. I want to set up the dvd so that i record programmes from the skybox.
I've tried lots of combinations and nothing works, Is it something simple im missing ?

Any help appreciated. I cannot find the instruction manual in the house or on the net for the dvdr, searched everywhere. I had it set up and working in the uk fine.

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 203
What inputs and outputs does this French TV have?

Post Number: 3
It just has one scart (marked EXT2) and a normal aerial socket. In the scart socket i have used a lead to change the one scart into a 3 scart adapter.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 4177
France uses a different TV system than the UK. France is SECAM, UK is PAL. If all the equipment is multi-system, then you may be OK, but, you may need to change some settings on the equipment. If it's not multi-system, it won't work. I'm not sure if all of France is SECAM, that's something you'd have to check out.

Post Number: 4
Yeah, it is SECAM, my dvdr does not have an option to change to SECAM, it has NTSC, PAL and Auto. When i set the dvdr up and search for channels it cannot find anything, i cannot remember if it should find something.
Thanks for the info by the way.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4178
Your recorder probably isn't SECAM compatible. Your PAL equipment probably won't work where you are. Try using auto.

Post Number: 5
Thanks David, am i right in thinking the set up is - scart from dvdr to skybox, skybox to tv ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Scart from Skybox output to DVDR input.
Scart from Skybox output to TV input.

The above connections allows you to record TV on your DVDR and to watch TV on your TV.

HDMI between DVDR and TV to allow you to watch DVDR on TV.

Post Number: 6
argh ! - nothing has worked yet, i have tried virtually every combination, i can play a dvd fine, its when i want to record something the screen just says no signal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4179
What is sky? Cable? Satellite? OTA? If you've got a SECAM incoming signal and PAL equipment, it's not going to work.

Post Number: 7
Ive been doing some digging around on the net and as ever i cannot get a definitave answer, its only a british dvd and the rest are French, according to some net info it should be able to pick up a signal, but i feel that i'm on a losing battle !

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
How can the "rest by French" if you say you have a UK skybox ?????

You are simply not making any sense.

The Skybox is the key here.

Post Number: 8
sorry, the skybox is british

Silver Member

Post Number: 206
I am not understanding why you are having such a difficult time understanding why you are having PROBLEMS.

Your DVDR works with your French TV, because the DVDR can output SECAM that the TV needs.

Apparently the DVDR cannot accept SECAM as an input, since you say that you can't record a TV program with it.

The Sky box is most likely just PAL and therefore outputs a video signal that is not understood by your French TV. See if there is a setting to change the video signal output to SECAM.

It is what it is.

Post Number: 9
Well ive checked the skybox and the video output is only PAL and RGB so it looks like i won't be able to do any recording on it, never mind, i appreciate everyones help !

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
There are video PAL to SECAM converters if you want to spend the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4180
The signal coming into the skybox is the problem. You've got a PAL box and a SECAM signal. The sky and DVR would work with each other like they did in UK but the box can't accept a SECAM signal so it can't tune the channels.

Silver Member

Post Number: 208
The signal coming into the skybox is the problem.
That is NOT the problem.

SKY is satellite-based. SKY box works only with the SKY satellite. The signal from the satellite into the SKY box is the same even though he is now physically in France.

The simple solution is to get a TV set that accepts PAL video signal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4181
The TV is obviously multi-system or the DVR wouldn't work. Most video equipment sold in Europe is multi-system.

If the skybox is a satellite then the dish needs to be pointed at the right satellites. The TV is NOT the problem. The problem is either the input to the skybox or the DVR isn't set on the right input.

Is the DVR set on whatever input the sky is connected to? You should be using a line input, not the DVR tuner.

Post Number: 10
The skybox signal comes via a dish and i get pictures on the tv fine, the DVR has NTSC, PAL and AUTO, Skybox has PAL and RGB, i'm not using the DVR to tune channels.

When i turn the DVR on the picture on the tv goes off and a fuzzy screen comes on with 'no signal', i have tried matching up the PAL on Skybox and DVR, well tried all combinations but still the same.

I'm using a line input (with a SCART attached as well) from the tv to the Skybox.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4182
You said you can watch a DVD. Is that with the DVR?

You should have the Skybox connected to the DVR using a scart, Sky out to in on the DVR. Then connect from the DVR out to the TV in. Then the DVR needs to be set on the scart input.

We know that the TV is PAL compatible if the Sky outputs PAL and works on the TV. I'd be very surprised if a TV purchased in Europe isn't PAL compatible. I'm guessing the DVR isn't set to the input the Sky is connected to.

You need to post exactly how everything is connected and it shouldn't be very hard to find the problem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
On skybox theres 2 scart sockets, one is VCR scart and TV scart, theres an RF Out1 and RF Out 2

On the DVR theres 2 scart sockets, scart in and scart out, theres TV Out and Antenna In

On the TV theres one scart

Current connections:
VCR scart on skybox to scart out on DVR
TV scart on skybox to scart on TV
RF out1 on skybox to RF on TV

I can watch a pre-recorded DVD from the DVR.

The DVR is set to PAL and so is the Skybox.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4183
The VCR on the Skybox needs to go to the in on the DVR. Then you need to set the DVR on the scart input. There should be an input key on the remote or just go through the channels until you get to the right input. If you can watch a DVD then the DVR to TV is obviously connected right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I'll try that, just one thing, what do you mean 'set the DVR on the scart input ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 209
I'm out here. Too many cooks in one kitchen.

Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
A little bit more forward now, i can record programmes when the scart is in the 'in' on the DVR but i can't playback unless i move the scart to the scart 'out' on the DVR !?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4184
Since the TV only has one scart, use the RGB if the TV and DVR have them. If they don't have the RGB then you either need a scart switcher if such a thing exists or the DVR will have to be on to watch TV or you'll have to keep changing scarts on the TV.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thank you very much for your help David, it has been very much appreciated ! The RGB doesnt work but i dont mind changing the scarts around, think i may invest in another TV which is another option !

Gold Member

Post Number: 4185
If your TV and DVR have the RGB then they should work. What inputs/outputs do the TV and DVR have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us