Use router as bridge?

Silver Member
Username: Guanajuatos_best

Post Number: 291
Hello,
I have a Belkin F5D8235-4 router.

I would try to setup my kbox in a room away from my computer.

I was doing some reading and found out that some cheap wireless routers can be used as a bridge.

Does anyone know about this.
thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 11752
The Only Paisa Left

Yes few rooter can be set in bridge mode, read your manual and see if this one can.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 727
The Only Paisa Left

Are you sure you cannot run a cable ?

Just a reminder that it is recession time and a CAT5 cable costs next to nothing !!!!

Platinum Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 11754
The Only Paisa Left

This can help you:

How to Use a Router as a Bridge

One of the many tasks that a typical router can perform is bridging, or connecting two networks to perform as one. Normally this task is done in unison with the routing task, but in a network that is using a separate router, one may want to configure an additional router to act as a bridge only. The instructions below will show you how to use a router as a bridge on your network.

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* Router
* Owner's manual for the router
* Computer to configure the router with

Step 1

Connect your computer to router using an Ethernet cable. The cable should be plugged into one of the LAN ports, not the port labeled "WAN" or "Internet."
Step 2

Follow the instructions in the router's manual to log into the router's configuration application. This is done by entering the IP address of the router into the address bar of a web browser, following the "http://." The IP address of the router will be something like 192.168.0.1, or 192.168.1.1. Next, enter the password and user name for the router. If successful, the main configuration page for the router will open in the window of the browser. There will be an assortment of links on this page that will allow you to customize how the router operates.
Step 3

Locate the page that allows you to set the IP address of the router. This should be set to something other than the default address, and it must not be the same as any other device on the network.
Step 4

Find the settings for the DHCP and DNS servers that are built into the router. Both severs will need to be disabled because the main router on the network will now be in charge of assigning IP addresses and translating network addresses.
Step 5

Disable all of the access controls and the firewall of the router to be used as a bridge. The main router will also perform these tasks.
Step 6

Remove all of the entries in the "Port forwarding" section of the router. These settings are designed to allow certain applications easier access to the internet on specific ports and are no longer necessary.
Step 7

Save all of the settings you have changed and reboot the router for the changes to take effect. With all of the routing features of the unit disabled, the router can now act as a bridge on your network.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Thanks plymouth, I will try this.

The Outer Limits, I have a 50ft CAT5 cable that im using for this. But sometimes it doesnt look good in the house, thats why i want see if i can do this.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 730
OK

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 16721
Somewhat similar results can be achieved by giving the daughter router (i.e. the last in the connections) DMZ status.
My last router acquires 192.168.1.100 from the main router, because main router's starting DHCP is 192.168.1.100.

The secondary router has two DMZ devices attached to it, one is my VOIP phone and the other is the device I am testing (you know what I mean). I do NOT change the detailed settings in the secondary router except that I have set the secondary routers default IP address as 192.168.0.1, and disabled the firewall.
I let the secondary router issue its own DHCPs, which I have set starting from 192.168.0.32, so these two DMZ devices get 192.168.0.32 and 192.168.0.33
Since my phone ATA (Pap II) is never turned off, it has been allowed to acquire 192.168.0.32.

I have my two computers (mine and wife's) connected to the main router and they acquire 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102.

I think I have achieved DMZ status for both (and all) ports of the secondary router, i.e. the one with IP address 192.168.0.1.

The only drawback I see with this method is that I am unable to look at the status and IP assignments in the secondary router from my computers unless I deliberately (and temporarily) connect a computer to the secondary router to check things. I need to do this very rarely, so it does not upset me. I get three wireless signals - one from my Modem, one form my primary router and one from my secondary router, so when my children come home and the grandchildren are playing around with computer games on laptops they have no problem with wireless connection.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16724
Sorry, I had typo in above and I have corrected it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16729
A router acting as a bridge is connected by cable. You do not want the ugly cable.

What you need is a Wireless bridge. Here are some from $39 to $99.

Linksys WBP54G (WBP54GCA) 802.11b/g Wireless Bridge
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=42368671&source=ecostdeal&cm_mmc=CSE-_-Shop ping.com-_-ecostdeal-_-Networking

Also look at:
NetGear MultiMedia Wireless To Ethernet Bridge WE102 WE102NA
http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp;jsessionid=arXkv-t6lpN58R4Usu?iid=1125342

And the 3Com product
3Com (3CWE820A) (3CWE820A-US) 802.11b Wireless Bridge
https://www.serversupply.com/products/part_search/pid_find.asp?pid=76835

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
Thanks for the info. I will try and will get back to report what happens.

Silver Member
Username: Kayoss

Post Number: 133
Cheap and solid solution is Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt or Tomato firmware as client bridge. Works real fine.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16738
Kayoss: Good that you came in with your information.
Do you think the dd-wrt or tomato will install on other cheap wireless routers and allow them to work as wireless bridges?

Silver Member
Username: Sump

Post Number: 908

game adapter .. ethernet

print server

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16739
Future shop comes up with ridiculous promotions of some cheap wireless routers - I am talking about $0-20. My question to Kayross is: Can I almost expect to install "Tomato or dd-wrt" on any of these cheap wireless routers and expect they will work as wireless Bridge?
Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 909
read specs .. look for memory ... Look in gamer forums .. tye know the deal .. it is VERY similar to what we will need . if u see the difference in wrt300n and wrt600n and wrt6001n. I u going to use WRTDDRT make sure you router that u gong to buy is compatable by Model #

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
N-N:

DD-WRT and Tomato web sites have lists of routers that can be adapted with their firmware. Buffalo and Linksys are the most popular though.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16742
DD-WRT does not even list my Trendnet 432BRP and Tomato software does not give me any clue.
My other router is totally generic - it is called wireless-B router.
Is there a way of saving the firmware in the router and then trying out DD-WRT or Tomato? If it does not work, one would put the old one back. With the Trendnet router, I know I can load Trendnet firmware, but I am not sure about my generic router.
Thanks in advance.

Bronze Member
Username: Cheap_trick

Post Number: 57
That's what happens when you buy Shitty Cheap things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
If the firmware doesnt load successfully then you will have bricked the router because you wont be able to restore the original firmware. You can get a WRT54G on ABey pretty cheap and it is an ideal solution.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16743
Kayoss: Thanks for the reply and the caution. I appreciate it.
I would only venture into installing a new firmware if there was a documented evidence of being able to get it to load and to be able to restore to original.
WRT54G seems to be the route to go.

Silver Member

Post Number: 911
kayoss
absolutly right .. if is not on list DO not try it ...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16746
kayross: After this conversation and noting the general trend, I will only recommend a Wireless-router which is dual mode or can be turned into dual mode with dd-wrt.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16747
The Only Paisa Left:
Belkin F5D8235-4 is not listed at DD-WRT for converting to receiver mode. So you will have to go the cable route or buy a wireless bridge.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us