DirectTV and Dish Network mix

Username: Adamj9431

Gulf Breeze, FL United States

Post Number: 1
I work for a local church, and we would really like to be able to show a football game next Saturday. Unfortunately, we don't have a cable or satellite feed at the church. I have Dish Network with all the HD packages at my house, and an older DirectTV satellite dish lying around (has 3 "recievers" mounted to it, don't know the right term). It has four pieces of coax coming out of it. I understand that it is possible to use a DirectTV dish with my Dish Network satellite box, how exactly do I go about doing that? It needs to be a 1080i feed, will that require more than one dish to get the HD programming? And also how do I aim the dish?

Thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1907
Most likely (99.9%) that OLD Directv dish will NOT work for Dishnet and especially HD TV...and it not something U are gonna learn in 1 week, how to align and configure....so honestly, ferget about it....

few years back, yep it was easy, not now...Dishnetwork is using new satellites and old DirectTV dishes cannot be aligned for most of them, especially if ya have 3 LNB dish...(and u said 3 "receivers", which sounds like 3 LNB's to me)

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4483
Actually yo can make it work with what yo got
Either LNB can do, but not the LNB in the middle
Yo won't get all of DN programs but will be enough to watch the Footbal Game in HD

This is what I would do:
- Yo have to know sat orbital # that is televising yor channel (e.g. 110, 119 etc.)
- Use the receiver from yor house
- Cover Middle LNB with a paper cup (Use LNB labeled 101W)
- No skew required for one satellite
- Use this site for exact azmith and elevation
www.satcalculator.freehostia.com

The LNB that is labeled 101W can get yo any satellite DishNet using guaranteed
Yo just have to do great job aligning and poiting dish to exact satellite

Silver Member
Username: Shenanigans

Post Number: 215
There is another way you could pull it off if you want.

You could use the dish you are currently using at home. The first thing to do would be to mark, on your pole and dish mount, the left/right position of your dish with a magic marker. This would be done so you can correctly position your dish when you put it back.

Disconnect the coax(es) going into your house from the dish assembly. Set the dish up on the pole you mounted at your church. Make sure the pole is plumb and you have a clear view of the southwestern sky or it will not work! Connect the coax between the dish and the receiver. Turn the dish left or right until you get a signal.

You will not have to change any of the position settings on your dish. They will be the same as at your home.

After the game is over, simply put the dish back on the pole at your house and line up the magic marker lines your made prior to taking the dish down. Connect the coax(es) going into your home and you will be good to go.

Good luck!

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4485
I wouldn't advice anyone who got a legal paid service to dismount his dish
The DTV dish can get one Dish Satellite without any doubt

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
The DTV dish can get one Dish Satellite without any doubt

Absolutely correct! Provided the person installing it has the ability needed to position it correctly. :-)

Post Number: 2
Thanks for all the responses. The dish has a 'AU2-F1' with 3 DirectTV LNBs, with 4 coax lines coming out of it. I connected the line I assume corresponds to the rightmost LNB (looking from the back) to the Dish Network box. However, it still gets 0 signal no matter how I aim the dish. I used the website provided above to get the azimuth, elevation, and skew. What am I doing wrong? And why are there four coax lines coming out of the head if there are only three LNBs? ESPN2 HD is EchoStar 129 if that helps any.

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
Make sure you don't have any trees or buildings in the line of sight. 129 is kinda low on the horizon for Florida.

Post Number: 3
No, I had a pretty clear line of sight. There was some foliage in the way, but I figured that would only give me a bad signal, not no signal at all. I think the problem may be that the DirecTV dish has a built in switch that combines the signals from the 3 LNB's. Is that switch compatible with the Dish Network equipment? I think the Dish box is a VIP 211.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Jay_w_grayson

Prague, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 676
Adam Johnson
Your Settings for Ciel 2 at 129.0°W
from Gulf Breeze, FL.
Check these settings out

Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 16354
One of the three LNBs of your DTV Dish is good enough for one DN satellite. Only one LNB would be active.
The rest is a matter of alignment and installation. This could be tricky but doable by a dedicated amateur.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4487

quote:

- with 4 coax lines coming out of it.
- it still gets 0 signal no matter how I aim the dish

Any of those coax can do they are all parallel lines
Keep in mind if yo are not aiming middle LNB yo can be off by up to 10 degrees
In yor case yo can't use Middle LNB
Each LNB is about 9 to 10 dgrees apart

So yo really have to be patient when aiming dish
Make sure yo use installation setup utilty from yor receiver

- LNB for 101 is far left when looking at dish (front View)
(LNB configuration is always front view)
- N0 dish or LNB skew is required
- If desired Sat is 129 (Left LNB should be aligned to 129W)
Making LNB in middle to align with 139W
I know it's a bit confusing but simple to get signal
It's only confusing to people who never pointed dish before

BTW
Don't pay any attention to FTA_TESTER he's a 14 year old kid
he doesn't know what he's talking about
Yo have DTV Phase III dish
The garbage he's got got nothing to do with Phase-3 dish
Yo only listen to me, Plymouth, Nalin, Sada, Greg

Username: Albertwhite

Post Number: 1
I had also this kind of problem with my direct tv but i get solution now.Thanks for this.

Post Number: 4
Thanks everyone for your responses. I eventually ended up purchasing a used Dish 500 with a single LNB setup and used that. Using your instructions I aimed that and it worked great. I think the issue with this DirecTV dish was that I didn't click "Check Switch" so the reciever would detect the equipment change. I didn't realize you had to do this until after I bought the Dish 500. Once again, thanks for the help!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1908
Told ya that old DTV phase 3 triple lnb ain't gonna work..nobody listens....lmao....different built in switches, different 3 lnb alignment etc...ya did the smart thing, grabbed a better dish fer what you want to accomplish...make life simple fer yerself, don't reinvent the wheel..

Gold Member
Username: Donnie1973

Post Number: 3228
i know for a fact it will work for one dn sat, either one. I did this exact same thing at my dads house so i could watch a game while there. I used his 3 phase dtv antenna. I got 110 and watched the game. I dont know about getting both 110 AND 119 with it, dont think so, but for sure one

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16372
justforhaha's aka LK: Will you PLEASE SHUT UP?
Almost everybody in this forum and most other forums know that the DTV Dish WILL work for DISH as forllows:
1. As a passive reflector.
2. One DTV LNB will scan one Sat. You cannot scan more than one sat without moving the Dish or using other non-DTV LNBs.
Even dantetn, your long time follower and student, knows it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1909
No shitt, U can get 1 DN sat with the phase 3 DTV dish...but all the DN HD channels ain't on 1 sat....so smart thing is a multi LNB DN dish...fukking moron nalin!...don't ever try and tell the teacher...cause the teacher is 10 steps ahead of ya...and U never heard of a phase 3 dish until U learned from the more intelligent ones here..nalin , U R a clown...

Silver Member
Username: El_toro_the_great

NC USA

Post Number: 162
never heard of a phase 3 dish until U learned from the more intelligent ones here..nalin , U R a clown...

Nalin Nydass may never heard of a phase 3 dish, but he knows they sale a HD Dish.

Gold Member
Username: Runnerguy

Pluto

Post Number: 1911
Nalie...You have the potential of being a half decent helper here if you READ READ READ and LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN instead of running your mouth all the time.

Silver Member
Username: Last_supper

Rush is a HO-MO

Post Number: 179
LEARN LEARN LEARN!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
READ READ READ???

LISTEN LISTEN LISTEN???

LEARN LEARN LEARN???

Hell, even a dumbass like me can do that!!

I think.....

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 3799

Jump in Key largo Nalin Nyda.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16373
justforhaha's aka LK said:
"that OLD Directv dish will NOT work for Dishnet"
Then she said:
"No shitt, U can get 1 DN sat with the phase 3 DTV dish."
Jump in Key Kargo. Tajke your idiot boy friend Greg Ruffian with you.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16374
Greg Ruffian:
Thank you for confirming that you are a regular visitor to Largo Key and LK. She has a good and faithful servant in you.

Gold Member

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 4495

quote:

Told ya that old DTV phase 3 triple lnb ain't gonna work

It's a simple switch setting for the rcvr to detect it wasn't disscussed
He said he didn't realize until after he bought the dish 500
Read his post Boss
DTV with 3 LNBs can work just like any other dish
But not the LNB in the middle
I personally forgot about that cuz it was almost 3 years since I tried one
But it can work, I gurantee it

Yo'll only get one DN satellite from LNB labled 101W
King certified

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16375
Applebee's
Esvaldo Chevez
(i½- gregraf -i½)

You idiots can try as much as you like, and can throw your stupid non-sense at me and other helpers, but the truth prevails.
YOUR CHIEF justforhaha's aka LK did not know the simple fact that the DTV Dish with DTV LNB can scan one DN sat. This fact is well known at practically all the forums.
Your LK - she pretend to know a lot and you morons keep on supporting her, but her resurrection IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. She is a good for nothing, has been and there she will remain in Largo Key in Florida till the FBI catches up with her.
I also want to remind you (one of you is Ryerson) that you are as much exposed as LK. They can find you and all of LK's contacts.though her.
So WAMOOSH from here.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us